Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Turbo - Short Driving Report

SciFrog:

My Macan turbo interior is one of the best I have ever seen in any car...

The Macan turbo doesn't need more power in the USA because of the PDK software which works amazingly well. Even my 8 year old Q7 has a better interior than the Q5 I drove last year.

Sound from the outside is actually adequate. The problem is from inside the cabin.

Most the critics here come from the fact that they want the Macan what THEY wanted it to be and not what Porsche made... Which is the ultimate daily driver that can replace a SUV, an estate wagon and a sporty sedan all together at a great price point.

There are tons of such cars over here...no need for another one, unless you want to attract a new customer base (which is exactly what Porsche planned and achieved).

No offence RC but here in the US the SRT is similar to the Corvette crowd i.e. a car for cheap thrills for middle aged middle class men or their low 20s kids...

In Germany, the Jeep GC has a pretty good reputation. Simply because it is considered a "serious" Offroader and not a lifestyle SUV like the Cayenne or X5 for example. Of course I know that the SRT is not a "serious" Offroader but people can't really tell the difference here. Which is a good thing...for meSmiley If there is a US brand which does not have image issues in Europe, it is Jeep. Smiley

The design is quite bland especially compared to what Jeep were in the past, especially the rear, and you see variants of it everywhere on the road.

In my opinion, the current 2014 Grand Cherokee is the most beautiful US made SUV on the market. I would even say that it is one of the most beautiful SUVs on the market and within the top 5 SUV when it comes to design and looks. Actually, I got only praise for the looks but European taste (or German taste) may be slightly different.

But it has a big engine and pushes hard, which is what you like... I would much rather have the efficiency, finesse and sophistication of the Macan. It surpasses my 09 CTTS in every aspect except of course for interior space and cargo, for a fraction of the price...

If you want efficiency, finesse and sophistication in one package, get a BMW X3 35d. The X3 35d isn't much slower from 0-60 mph than the Macan Turbo and it eats only half the fuel (Diesel). I think you are overly enthusiastic because you own one. I get it but (me) being used to all kind of SUVs, incl. the Q5, X3, X5 and others, there is no real advantage for the Macan here. Well, it has 400 hp and more power than the others, this is true but if you are talking efficiency, I don't know. You've seen my fuel consumption, right? Smiley

Comparing the Macan with a 09 957 is ridiculous. The 957 is basically a 2002 Cayenne (955) with an optical and technical makeover. The Macan is a 2014 car, even if it is based on a slightly "older" Q5 base.

I expected from Porsche something different than "just" downsized Cayenne at almost the same exterior size. I also expected more exciting engines and a more emotional performance and driving feel. You know that I wanted to get a Macan Turbo but when I finally got to drive it and learn about the details, my disappointment was quite big. Even wrote a letter about it to Porsche, believe it or not.

Yes, a Jeep is no Porsche but ask my kids or even my wife or anyone around me what they would prefer, the Macan Turbo or the Jeep SRT (considering that both actually eat up the same amount of fuel when driven hard, with even a slight advantage for the SRT...a 6.4 l V8 monster) and the answer couldn't be clearer. In the US, brands mean a lot and I understand why a Ferrari owner wouldn't want to drive a Jeep. Smiley 

Luckily, the perception of the Jeep brand over here is different and I am actually happy that people don't show the same envy and negative vibe they showed towards my previous Cayenne models in the past. Of course this would probably change if they knew what kind of engine the Jeep has but since they don't, I'm good. Smiley

If you tell me that you are happy with your Macan Turbo, I am happy for you. However, please don't try to convince me using the words efficiency or finesse and sophistication together with the name Macan. The Macan is still, quality-wise, a step behind the current Cayenne (958) and when it comes to finesse and sophistication, I actually have different Porsche models in mind. May be a mentality thing, I don't know but it is obvious.

I know that opinions are always subjective and we don't have to agree, so please don't take it too much to the heart and enjoy your new baby. I didn't want to spoil the fun. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Efficiency <> fuel efficiency. I meant performance achieved with 400hp... PDK tuning obviously plays a big role there. Car can have all season tires, something not possible on the Cayenne TTS...

Diesel is still a non starter in the US, cars are heavier, more expensive than petrol counterpart, fuel usage is not that important and you can't find diesel everywhere... And the sound of a diesel car? Might as well be none... Any diesel with PDK?

Interior is on par with the current Cayenne and Panamera IMHO, but cars being much more expensive...

The GLA you mentioned is the size of an Evoque right? That is even smaller than the Macan... Cannot comment on the interior but I doubt it comes even close to my build at least...

Design is subjective. The only SUV I consider to be nice designs are the Wrangler, Range Rover and the Cayenne/Macan, maybe the Q5. The rest dull and/or boring. Anyhow, I love the car, it is perfect for my family, 90% of the Cayenne utility, 90% of the Panamera feel, 100% of Porsche quality and service for a lot less money...

RC:

I am very impressed with the drive/steering feel and handling of the Macan Turbo but this is the most boring Porsche I ever drove. 

Please don't get me wrong, the Macan Turbo is an excellent "small" SUV but I expected a little bit more from a Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC,

ive expected more from Porsche on almost every model, they just don't deliver anymore, i never bought a pane turbo s or cayenne turbo because they're ugly and fat, and skipped the new turbo s as overpriced, underpowered and still too heavy, and still with that ricer wing.  I do expect to be underwhelmed by only 400 hp 400 torque in the macan turbo as well, but smaller and lighter fits my dirt road needs and NZ parking for 2 travellers and occasional third.

so I've ended up with

USA stable:  991 s cab (why change?) and 2014 AMG e63 s wagon 4wdSmiley

NZ stable.: GT3 RS, Macan turbo, Speciale

two non Porsche cars that couldve been: Mercedes i said id never buy again until this 600 hp 600 torque 4wd screamer wagon came out, its wonderful; and Ferrari Speciale certain to be reminiscent of strad fun, but not the value of the new Gt3 but they're not really available....right now. And at least the Speciale has no super Ricer wingSmiley

SciFrog:

No surprise. In europe the Macan is being compared to estate wagons. In the US the wagon market is inexistent. The Macan fills a niche of daily driver perfectly. What I actually love about it is that it is a SUV that feels and drives like a Panamera. Porsche did it perfectly. As far as inside quality, you can't even compare it to a Q5. I had a loaner a while ago, the Macan feels like a S class, the Q5 felt like a Toyota Camry... All reviews show this.

Not true--  the 2014  MB AMG s63 wagon is all you need to make the US wagon market!! Its a steal at $112k including the awesome Bang and O stereo (better than burmeister) .  But note bene, i agree that macan turbo serves a purpose as i note above i have one coming but for dirt in NZ where a wagon wont do.  Glad you like itSmiley

Not a fan of station wagons (or sedans for that matter) but if Mercedes would offer a GL63 AMG with the same weight and chassis setup of the E63 SW, I would be sold. 

Mercedes understood the need for AWD in such a powerful car, maybe BMW will pick it up and finally offer an AWD M4 or an AWD M6.

--

Ive got two 50 pound bags of organic chicken feed in the back, can carry 3-4 old dogs who can get in and out unassisted ( not possible in suv) , and three people,  and can shred most cars on the road! It serves a purpose. But unless you need those attributes, like any specific category its pointless!

watt:

Ive got two 50 pound bags of organic chicken feed in the back, can carry 3-4 old dogs who can get in and out unassisted ( not possible in suv) , and three people,  and can shred most cars on the road! It serves a purpose. But unless you need those attributes, like any specific category its pointless!

Indeed but it also reminds me a lot of the various E class meat wagons driving around in Germany, so... Smiley Smiley

On a more serious note, I wish Mercedes would put the engine and AWD of the E class into a smaller new C class coupe. This car would be a blast.

--

If the E class AMG wagon is the competition, it is:

8 inches longer, 4 inches lower, 400 lbs heavier, significantly faster, uses more fuel if that matters and is 20% more expensive.

There are two wagon models, one is overpowered for a daily driver and the other underpowered, colors are even more dull than the Macan ones. Design is not very nice (to me). As a daily driver I prefer a shorter higher car. I doubt it drive a lot better than the Macan since the Macan is copse to the Panamera and the MB should be behind...

To be honest I think the real competition of the E AMG wagon is the Cayenne turbo, not the Macan...

The competition would be the C63 AMG station wagon (which btw. offers better performance, more luggage and interior room, an amazing engine/exhaust sound and also costs a lot less). Only downside: no AWD.

--

No AWD = non starter around here for daily driver...

kissAnd SciFrog,

theres no such thing as overpowered, to me the e63 s barely cuts it!

and RC it took 7 months from delivery for me to see another e63s wagon on the road in S CA.... Rarer than 458s by far

watt:

kissAnd SciFrog,

theres no such thing as overpowered, to me the e63 s barely cuts it!

and RC it took 7 months from delivery for me to see another e63s wagon on the road in S CA.... Rarer than 458s by far

Well...Chrysler officially imports 80 something Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT per year to Germany, so this doesn't really say much. Smiley I suppose my Jeep SRT is rarer than almost any Ferrari in Germany. Smiley

--

RC:

Please don't get me wrong, the Macan Turbo is an excellent "small" SUV but I expected a little bit more from a Porsche.

--

agree with this key excerpt except that i have said i was very disappointed with the final compromised product.

i am now waiting for that juiced up 911 Rally version that showed up late last year.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

I'm very interested to hear the spec of those who say the Macan Turbo rolls too much. Did it have air suspension? We get air suspension standard here. Also it's very interesting hearing the prices of Macan Turbo in other markets. I think for once we have a Porsche that is reasonably priced! A Macan turbo is only about $135k drive away which isn't too different from Europe. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the M3. M4 is even more expensive at $10k more than M3. 

Most Macan Turbo go for aprox. 100k EUR over here, my specced car would be around 115k EUR (incl. PCCB, sport exhaust, etc.). These prices include 19% VAT in Germany.

For comparison: Used Cayenne Turbo S with low mileage (under 20k km) go for 125k EUR or so right now.

The Macan Turbo may seem like a bargain at first but I'm not so sure about it anymore. We just need to wait and see how prices evolve over time, incl. rebates, used car prices and lease offers.

--

RC:

Most Macan Turbo go for aprox. 100k EUR over here, my specced car would be around 115k EUR (incl. PCCB, sport exhaust, etc.). These prices include 19% VAT in Germany.

For comparison: Used Cayenne Turbo S with low mileage (under 20k km) go for 125k EUR or so right now.

The Macan Turbo may seem like a bargain at first but I'm not so sure about it anymore. We just need to wait and see how prices evolve over time, incl. rebates, used car prices and lease offers.

With PCCB and sport exhaust it would be about $160k drive away, cheaper then even my M3 which doesn't have ceramics. Still very cheap. My Cayenne GTS order was $190k and it didn't have PCCB. Also, used Cayenne Turbo S are about $200k here so Macan Turbo is cheap here relative to other cars.

So did the Macan you drive come with air suspension? I'm trying to figure out if body roll is an issue with air suspension.  

In the U.S., low mileage 2014 Cayenne Turbo S is less than $120,000.  Compared to fully loaded Macan Turbo, it is a lot more car IMHO.

Ok so today I finally drove the Macan after not being bothered with this car. I drove all three variants back to back over 5 hours. So it was a proper test drive. None of the cars have PTV and Ausssie spec cars have PASM standard on both Macan S and diesel S, and air auspension on the Turbo. 

First of all I like to point out that I read Christian's review on this thread, and others' comments as well. I dismissed all your comments about the car being unemotional especially in relation to engine note because my take is that this isn't a sports car and you guys were expecting it to be one. In my head I'm thinking that this will be replacing my wife's 5er so I'll bear that in mind and not compare it to other Porsches. I also went there with the intention of ordering a turbo, had made up my mind that turbo is the one for us.

Diesel was first up, and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. No big lag (unlike BMW X3 30D we had and got rid of within 4 months because of lah and throttle response), throttle response was great, engine was smooth, cabin was quiet. I walked out of the car double checking that this was the diesel and not petrol. Handling wise I was not surprised as this is a Porsche. You expect that a Porsche would handle well and sure enough it took on the curvy back roads (Yarra Blvd for anyone who knows Melb) without any issue. I threw the car hard into the corners and drove pretty hard. Took a bit for the tyres to even squeal! Interestingly it didnt really understeer much. You can even play with the rear if you throw it into the corners hard enough. It was a really sporty drive but the nature of diesel's short rev range meant that if you are after a sports car, this engine is probably your last choice of the three. But for me this will be the family carrier and all my other cars are much much sportier so I wasn't assessing the car based on that criteria.

So next up was the petrol S. The dealer started the engine for me and it sounded great! Good start I thought, and so much for people saying it sounds unemotional. I know some have said that it sounded different inside but surely with this note it can't sound that bad! Then as I drove off I immediately realised that the great exhaust note has disappeared. Sadly, in cabin, you can't hear the sound and it was just a dead hum. Majorly lacking in character and I really don't understands how it sounds so good ion the outside and so lifeless inside!  Next I noticed that the tyre noise was more pronounced on the Petrol S. I don't know why that is so, but the car was definitely more unrefined compared to the Diesel S. I later checked the tyres and both cars were on the same Michelins and both have done about 1500km. The petrol S feels lighter on its feet and accelerated rather well off the line. However, the relatively lack of torque meant that the gearbox was hunting for lower gears a lot more around town than the diesel, and it was more "busy" with engine at much higher revs much more often. This wouldn't be a bad thing had there been a good exhaust note to accompany it, but as mentioned earlier, there just wasn't a pleasant exhaust note in the cabin. Admittedly once you rev it up to over 5000rpm, it started being more pleasant. But how often so you drive your SUV at 5000rpm? The diesel also kills it for in gear acceleration.

I was very disappointed with the S and proceeded to drive the Turbo. My expectations of the Turbo was high, with the more powerful engine and air suspension. I set the air suspension at the low setting and drove off. The same in cabin sound that was in the S is also in the turbo. Insipid is the only word I can think of to describe it! It's also less refined than the diesel, and frankly didn't feel a whole lot faster than the Diesel. The ride and handling was also a disappointment. I thought the air suspension will make this a much better handler, but along Yarra blvd it pitched and bounced more than the standard PASM suspension, and whilst it may be going quicker it felt less composed. Much of the thoughts while driving the Petrol S was also transferred to the turbo. Only thing that it was clearly better than the S was the fact that it has lots more torque so it doesn't hunt for gears constantly.  The biggest dissapoitment was that it didn't drive differently from the the petrol S, just merely a more powerful version.

At this point I thought maybe my view was skewed by the fact that I drove the Diesel first, so I went back and got the diesel out again on the same freeway, Yarra Blvd and high st (which has tram tracks to test the ride) route. Nope, wasn't my imagination or influence of driving it first. The diesel IS the pick of the lot. If you had told me that the diesel cost the most, I would have believed you. That's how good the diesel is. Granted my review was not comparing the outright performance of the cars in the mountains or tracks as you would normally review a Porsche, but given our use and the type of car it is I think most buyers would find my review more useful than one that test them on track and mountains passes. But now I have a dilemma. I really wanted the turbo and the much higher equipment level of the turbo meant that I'm not paying a massive premium getting a turbo over a Diesel S. But my head tells me that diesel is actually the better car!

Spec both cars exactly the way you want and look at the price difference...

Very interesting report. When I bought my Cayenne the S Diesel wasn't available and the normal one not Porsche worthy. But I would consider an S Diesel in a Macan.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Nice report. Thanks Way. 

Nice write up Wayne,, thanks a lot!

Got an Audi allroad loaner and figured how it would compare to a Macan turbo. Of course I should compare vs a Macan S but...

The Audi has a lot less hp and it feels anemic in acceleration and very linear. The PDK in the Macan is also much more playful than the auto box.

The handling is much more bluffing in the Macan. The Audi feels very safe and reassuring but it does not like to be tossed around whereas the Macan just calls for more. The Audi really tries to filter the road but funny enough is quite more bumpy than the Macan.

The Audi feels like a sedan and seats quite low vs the Macan, something not great for daily driving. Rear seating space is larger than the Macan and trunk seems about the same. The Audi is white and IMHO it is a totally inadequate color for bigger cars like wagons big sedans and SUVs. With all the complaints about the Macan sound at least you can hear it and the roar on a cold start is nice. You simply cannot hear the exhaust on the Audi...

The Audi interior and plastics are nice and fresh, the chocolate seat (leather?) look very nice and sturdy. It is comfortable but seats are not very grippy. The multimedia system is solid and intuitive and oozes quality. The gear lever is nice and modern although in this day in age you have to wonder why they are still present. Of course all the interior doesn't hold the candle vs the Porsche full leather two tone/alcantara.

Conclusion: the Audi is a nice comfortable safe solid practical car. It procures no excitement and no emotions whatsoever and somewhat a close experience to the Q5 loaner I had last year. The Macan turbo is on a whole other lever of enjoyment, as should be for double the price tag...

Great short review - Thanks!!! SciFrog

SciFrog:

Got an Audi allroad loaner and figured how it would compare to a Macan turbo. Of course I should compare vs a Macan S but...

The Audi has a lot less hp and it feels anemic in acceleration and very linear. The PDK in the Macan is also much more playful than the auto box.

The handling is much more bluffing in the Macan. The Audi feels very safe and reassuring but it does not like to be tossed around whereas the Macan just calls for more. The Audi really tries to filter the road but funny enough is quite more bumpy than the Macan.

The Audi feels like a sedan and seats quite low vs the Macan, something not great for daily driving. Rear seating space is larger than the Macan and trunk seems about the same. The Audi is white and IMHO it is a totally inadequate color for bigger cars like wagons big sedans and SUVs. With all the complaints about the Macan sound at least you can hear it and the roar on a cold start is nice. You simply cannot hear the exhaust on the Audi...

The Audi interior and plastics are nice and fresh, the chocolate seat (leather?) look very nice and sturdy. It is comfortable but seats are not very grippy. The multimedia system is solid and intuitive and oozes quality. The gear lever is nice and modern although in this day in age you have to wonder why they are still present. Of course all the interior doesn't hold the candle vs the Porsche full leather two tone/alcantara.

Conclusion: the Audi is a nice comfortable safe solid practical car. It procures no excitement and no emotions whatsoever and somewhat a close experience to the Q5 loaner I had last year. The Macan turbo is on a whole other lever of enjoyment, as should be for double the price tag...

Thank you for the review, which is as expected.

Great achievement in textbook Product Differentiation within the VW Group given that Audi and Macan share many components.Smiley

As to the gear lever on an auto/PDK car, I have to say that I use it a lot when the angle of the steering wheel is such that the paddles are not easily accessible. On a Ferrari type of fixed steering column paddles it might be different (hence the lack of levers)  but on cars with wheel paddles the stick is useful. And yes, you change gear when the wheels are turned unlike in a manual.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    SciFrog:

Thank you for the review, which is as expected.

Great achievement in textbook Product Differentiation within the VW Group given that Audi and Macan share many components.Smiley

As to the gear lever on an auto/PDK car, I have to say that I use it a lot when the angle of the steering wheel is such that the paddles are not easily accessible. On a Ferrari type of fixed steering column paddles it might be different (hence the lack of levers)  but on cars with wheel paddles the stick is useful. And yes, you change gear when the wheels are turned unlike in a manual.

The comment about the gear level and its presence reminded me of a recent recall Ford conducted for one of its Lincoln products, the MKC SUV.  

The traditional gear level with its PRNDL format was replaced by a series of buttons on the dashboard, above the center console, with a sport button and, of course, as found on almost all contemporary cars, a pushbutton start/stop switch.  That start/stop pushbutton, to maintain design congruency, was placed directly below the sport button, labeled "S" for the transmission.  One can immediately guess the reason for the recall, drivers were turning off the engine when attempting to place the MKC in sport mode...maintaining traditional placement of controls, at times, is ergonomically efficient.

It's not quite as bad as that, but I currently also have an issue with conflicting controls on cars I drive regularly.
    The same quick upward flick of the right-hand steering column stalk which switches on the windscreen wipers on my 993 knocks the transmission of a DSG-transmission Mercedes into neutral.   Smiley   

--

fritz

Lol all your fault. meet has been doing the transmission there for a while now 

Not as bad sad I was trying to find the windows control between my Porsches and Ferraris

--

Whoopsy:

Lol all your fault. meet has been doing the transmission there for a while now 

Not as bad sad I was trying to find the windows control between my Porsches and Ferraris

SmileySmileySmiley

Auto-correct or alco-corrupt?  Smiley

--

fritz

My apologies for going off topic with my Macan question. Does anyone have any insight as to when Porsche will introduce a Macan Diesel in the US?

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688126 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408523 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255466 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234688 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65316 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857424 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM