Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Has anybody read the new issue of Auto Zeitung? There is a new 918 test there...

http://www.autozeitung.de/aktuelles-heft/auto-zeitung-15-2014

Today a liquid metal blue 918 overtook me on the Autobahn. The appearance in the mirror looked so great with that LED spot lights. I switched the line to let him pass and that sound when he overtook me was just awesome. No idea how fast he was, but too fast for me to recognize the first letter of the number plate. And the look  so elegant and sporty at once.

Hope to be able to walk around a 918 soon. All I can say is that everyone who ordered a 918 did everything right kiss

Sound must be brilliant, because of highly positioned exhaust pipes. I cant imagine how awesome it sounds for driver, since exhaust is literally behind your ears!

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

918 Spyder during the Le Mans  event at the Porsche museum.

Blueflame 

1404420365606image.jpg

1404420365628image.jpg1404420365637image.jpg

God, I think I want to move to Stuttgart. Porsche regularly puts up great themes at the Museum.
    --

Whoopsy:
    God, I think I want to move to Stuttgart. Porsche regularly puts up great themes at the Museum.

This time the event was very special - the museum was open for 24H during the Le Mans race - in the afternoon the were thousands of people watching the race on big screens.

There was also a show in front of the museum with some of the old Le Mans cars and drivers.

We had lunch at the Christophorus restaurant on saturday and stayed the night till sunday morning - the fans were sleeping in the museum next to the cars...Smiley

On the left side next to the 356 Abarth is Herbert Linge, former Test and Race driver of Porsche, he also was one of the first Porsche apprentices in 1943.

Sorry for OT

BlueflameSmiley

6491.JPG6500.JPG

I was driving on Pacific Coast Highway in the Palisades on Saturday and saw a dark blue one. Had never seen one before and I'm embarrassed to say I thought it was a McLaren at first glance. Only until I got up close to the back and saw the Porsche lettering did I realize it was a 918. My friend noticed the NY license plates and said the owner must have just recently shipped it to the west coast. We joked that is was probably Jerry Seinfeld. Traffic was stop and go and there was some space in the slow lane so I moved over and was able to pass him. Low and behold, it was Jerry after all. I gave him the thumbs up out the window, but he was staring intently on the car in front of him. Didn't seem to be having much fun. Then again, if I had that car and was stuck going 15 mph, I probably would be a little salty too.

atlas310:

I was driving on Pacific Coast Highway in the Palisades on Saturday and saw a dark blue one. Had never seen one before and I'm embarrassed to say I thought it was a McLaren at first glance. Only until I got up close to the back and saw the Porsche lettering did I realize it was a 918. My friend noticed the NY license plates and said the owner must have just recently shipped it to the west coast. We joked that is was probably Jerry Seinfeld. Traffic was stop and go and there was some space in the slow lane so I moved over and was able to pass him. Low and behold, it was Jerry after all. I gave him the thumbs up out the window, but he was staring intently on the car in front of him. Didn't seem to be having much fun. Then again, if I had that car and was stuck going 15 mph, I probably would be a little salty too.

(Forgive me NickSmiley) A dark color on a super car is a waste of money. Cannot see the lines until your almost on top of it. I often mistaken very expensive super cars for much cheaper ones (and vice versa) because of the dark colors.

And that was my whole point of getting a dark colour car. It's for me and me only, not for spectators 

--

nberry:
    atlas310:

(Forgive me NickSmiley) A dark color on a super car is a waste of money. Cannot see the lines until your almost on top of it. I often mistaken very expensive super cars for much cheaper ones (and vice versa) because of the dark colors.

Haha, doctor has glasses for that Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Whoopsy:

And that was my whole point of getting a dark colour car. It's for me and me only, not for spectators 

Smiley Very well said. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Yep and the only way it sould be. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

SportCarGroup:

White:

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-918-spyder-weissach-package/2014/06/24#img1

That car doesnt look good in pure white. Maybe its me but I think the A8 is steeling the show on those pictures Smiley

Rossi:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Yep and the only way it sould be. Smiley

+1 Smiley

Looking at all the views.....the 918 is "exotic" from the side and rear views, but really looks "ordinary" from the front!

I have just received an exciting news and a disappointing news from Porsche regarding my car.

The car is scheduled to arrive in Toronto airport on September 20th. So I actually have a date to look forward to seeing the car.

On the same token, it won't get here in time for the summer. 

--

Beast in my favorite color smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Whoopsy:

I have just received an exciting news and a disappointing news from Porsche regarding my car.

The car is scheduled to arrive in Toronto airport on September 20th. So I actually have a date to look forward to seeing the car.

On the same token, it won't get here in time for the summer. 

We all are waiting with anticipation. What to they charge you for transport by airfreight?

You need a warm weather port where you can keep your toys.Smiley

Whoopsy, I'm happy to pick it up from the airport and hand deliver it to you in Van. :)

Congrats on at least getting a date that will give you 5 weeks or so of driving!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Sorry to hear that.  Of course there are ways to make the best of a bad situation, but that's disappointing news nonetheless.

It was a very good call to buy the Ferrari then in retrospect.  I hope it has filled the gap for you at least is some way.

No matter how you slice it, Porsche has fallen at least a little short on this.  If I treated my customers that way, I would be in dire straights.

nberry:
    We all are waiting with anticipation. What to they charge you for transport by airfreight?

You need a warm weather port where you can keep your toys.Smiley

As it will be the 1st batch of cars for Canada, Porsche is picking up the tab for the air freight from Germany to Canada.

After that, they will truck it across the country to Vancouver. Takes about another week as it will need to stop off at Edmonton first. The other 2 I believe are destined for Toronto and Montreal. Tempted to ask about flying it from Toronto to Vancouver though. 

As for warm weather port, I do have a few choices, I could get a place in LA, or head to the interior of my province, parts  of which is actually classified as a dessert :)

--

Mithras:

Whoopsy, I'm happy to pick it up from the airport and hand deliver it to you in Van. :)

Congrats on at least getting a date that will give you 5 weeks or so of driving!

As a matter of fact I will be flying to Toronto to receive it there :)

Date is still preliminary, probably picking a date just to keep me quiet haha. You guys have no idea how much I have been pestering Porsche Vancouver, Porsche Canada and Porsche Germany in turns, then rinse and repeat. Smiley

Could still change but my dealer will confirm again next week. But I figured the date is far enough in the future that it won't be later than that, could be earlier though

--

davew (cincy):

Sorry to hear that.  Of course there are ways to make the best of a bad situation, but that's disappointing news nonetheless.

It was a very good call to buy the Ferrari then in retrospect.  I hope it has filled the gap for you at least is some way.

No matter how you slice it, Porsche has fallen at least a little short on this.  If I treated my customers that way, I would be in dire straights.

Yeah in hindsight, the Speciale was a good call. It is something refreshing to drive. Could also be bad news for Porsche too. I was contemplating earlier to get a FF even before the Speciale, but now that I got accepted into the Ferrari circle, I am seriously thinking about replace the Turbo S with the FF. (@Nick, yes you can call this getting bitten by the Ferrari bug)

Also pestering the dealer to get me a LaFerrari. Since I haven't been told a definite no, I am just gonna keep at it. Not that I really want one, but I don't think I will turn one down like the P1. Between the P1 and the LaFerrari, the LaFerrari is worth the asking price.

The 918 situation wasn't all of Porsche's fault. Walliser did told me in person that he had delayed the start of production because he wasn't ready to sign off. Porsche didn't give him a hard deadline, so he has autonomy on the project. When I visited the factory production just started and I had asked him point blank did he feel like wanting more time to do stuff and the answer was no, he was totally satisfied. The second delay was from a bankrupted supplier, kinda of out of Porsche's control. 

Truth is, while information was hard to come by, and needed some effort to obtain, I felt like Porsche hasn't really mistreated me. They gave me multiple line of communications to many level of the corporate structure. Which I did utilized to their fullest Smiley. Porsche invited me to multiple trips all this time and I have been treated very well by them. 

I never asked them for a firm date, I think they think I was, that's why I never gotten a date until now. I was actually only asking for a time frame, maybe within a 1-2 weeks window, not a 4 week month window that they gave me initially.  I only wanted that information so I can plan trips, which there will be multiple ones before and after. Hard to plan around a 4 week window. Smiley 

I believe the one in charge in Stuttgart know the exact information but won't give it to me, how hard it is to look at the computer and check the order list and count the cars on the production line? I had to go around the other side of the communication chain, the long side up the chain in order to obtain what I need. That's about the only thing I am pissed about at Porsche. 

--

I am really drawn to the LaF too.  That would be quite a score.  Good Luck!

davew (cincy):

Honestly, to me, a LaFerrari would just be a 'score'. It would be nice to be able to buy a 'collector' Ferrari at retail, that's about it. 

It's actually not that special a car. (Not trying to boast or anything, just being honestly direct, taking off all coloured googles and look at stuff objectively)

It's not the first car to have active aero, I think that title belongs to Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 with automatic adjusting front and rear spoilers. Not the first hybrid hyper car, that title belongs to the 918. Also not the most technological advanced in the current generation, that title also belongs to the 918. Also not the most outrageously styled, some say the P1 is more outrageous, or maybe perhaps Zonda might take the title since it is still 'current'. Not the most limited, F1 got it beat. Not the 1st car to go under 7 mins at the Ring, that one belongs to the 918 too. It may not even be the fastest in the current generation either, depending on who you ask and who you trust and how to rank it. Not even the 1st production car to have over 900HP, Veryon got it beat by a mile. Hell it's not even the most collectable Ferrari, there more than a handful from Ferrari alone that are infinitely more collectable.

But at the end of the day, I do like the car as it is, the styling has grown on me over time and I admire the performance Ferrari was able to squeezed out of the gigantic V12, making a 6.3L V12 spins to over 9000 rpm takes real skills and know-how, they didn't go for the easy way out and slap on a couple big turbos and crank up the boost to get the HP.

--

Whoopsy:
    davew (cincy):

Honestly, to me, a LaFerrari would just be a 'score'. It would be nice to be able to buy a 'collector' Ferrari at retail, that's about it. 

To keep any remaining chance - I would not write this on the Internet Smiley

Beauty.

14537321476_c46cd14373_k.jpg
    14232282990_f2403b550f_k.jpg

140531998193214622182235_e88e32c149_k.jpg140531998192014622144675_5c5d200718_k.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM