Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Here's a few more 

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 1.17.42 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 1.18.31 am.jpgScreen Shot 2014-06-19 at 4.28.37 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 4.29.29 am.jpgScreen Shot 2014-06-19 at 1.06.07 am.jpg

I am wondering could Porsche offer  as an option covers for gauges in aluminium so it can match with aluminium parts on steering wheel  Take a look on photo below with quick adjustments smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

I would imagine reflecting sunlight off of those gauge tops could be a problem.

Greg A

918 looks like it could be quicker.

Braking is what's most surprising to me. Not sure how the 918 unbrakes it by so much. My guess are:

1. 918 braking algorithms better.
    2. Tires differences.
    3. 918 brakes harder, but P1 brakes longer -- in other words, 918 brakes can't do that all day, but P1 can, or at least longer.
    4. Some type of negative torque with the E-motors in the 918.
    5. Combination of the above.

noone1:

918 looks like it could be quicker.

Braking is what's most surprising to me. Not sure how the 918 unbrakes it by so much. My guess are:

1. 918 braking algorithms better.
    2. Tires differences.
    3. 918 brakes harder, but P1 brakes longer -- in other words, 918 brakes can't do that all day, but P1 can, or at least longer.
    4. Some type of negative torque with the E-motors in the 918.
    5. Combination of the above.

For a single stop from 100mph (160kph), the only things that could account for the difference would be tires and ABS programming (both have brake systems that are more than capable of locking from that speed and the P1 should have more downforce).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

YAY!!!!

Dealer just called to let me know my car order is going into lock and check to see if I want anymore changes. I said no, and please tell them to get my car onto the line asap as I am expect the car last month.

Finally there is an end to the saga.

--

Whoopsy:

YAY!!!!

Dealer just called to let me know my car order is going into lock and check to see if I want anymore changes. I said no, and please tell them to get my car onto the line asap as I am expect the car last month.

Finally there is an end to the saga.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Very exciting! 

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Oh, Car and Driver just released some numbers from testing a standard 918.

0-30 mph 1.0 seconds
    0-60 mph 2.2 seconds
    0-100 mph 4.9 seconds
    0-130 mph 6.7 seconds
    0-150 mph 10.5 seconds
    0-160 mph 12.2 seconds
    0-170 mph 14.4 seconds
    0-180 mph 17.5 seconds

9.8 second 1/4 mile @ 145mph

5-60 mph 2.4 seconds
    214 mph Top Speed
    300 foot skidpad 1.10 G
    70 mph -0 142 feet
    3724 pounds curb weight

20/24 EPA MPG

--

That is seriously quick and fast!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Other than McLaren fanboys, no one ever doubt the 918's performance. We are all Porsche enthusiasts so we are used to factory always sandbagging the factory claimed figures.

At my Weissach trip Walliser told me point blank they did a 2.37 0-60 but they kept the published figure of 2.5 anyway.

I imagine Car and Driver had a grippier track so that 0.17 gain is well within reach.

At another meeting with Porsche big wigs last year I was told they have a sub-7 second 0-200km/hr, 124mph, but they published a 7.2 anyway. At the same meeting the 0-60 was at 2.4. McLaren claim their car do it in 6.8 yet no one seems to be able to match that.

The claimed 0-300km/hr 186mph was 19.9. I think all the recent tests with the final car all beat that comfortably.

There is a reason I picked the 918 over the P1. Porsche is a well established sports car company, when they focus on something they do it right. Their track record is impeccable. McLaren on the other hand is still the new kid on the block and their credentials is still questionable despite the one off F1 program. The 12C was a great car but it took them 2 major revisions to get everything right. 

The P1 might have to be renamed P0 or P-last in this current hyper car era.

--

that is really incredible performance , yet again they under promise and over perform. Wonder what 0-60 in 2.2 seconds feels like , there should be 918 people who find out very soon. I heard rumours of a new tyre being developed for the 918 , which would make it even quicker no?

Possibly.

The Cup2 that's spec-ed on the 918 are low rolling resistance ones, eco tires, if one can call track tires that.

As I understands, the eco tires are good in lateral grip while providing low resistance on longitudinal direction.

If Michelin were really developing a proper Cup2 tires that matches the normal range, it would lose the eco rating but gains quite a bit of longitudinal grip for launches.

I am one of the few that had experienced first hand the violent launch of the 918. And I though my Turbo S was violent enough, the 918 is on another galaxy. I did the launch on the back straight of the Weissach back straight with Dr Walliser riding shotgun. By the time my senses caught up with me Frank was yelling brake brake for the right turn that appeared out of no where it seems. 

--

Whoopsy:

... By the time my senses caught up with me Frank was yelling brake brake for the right turn that appeared out of no where it seems. 

It's really a shame you don't have through the windscreen video of that. 

Pretty crazy numbers for a 3724 lbs car.

How it is quicker from 100-130 than it is from 60-100? That's gotta be a first or an error.

0-30: 1s
    30-60: 1.2s
    60-100: 2.7s
    100-130: 1.8s
    130-150: 3.8s

Better question is, why is the P1 that much slower than the 918, despite the horsepower advantage AND the 'much lighter' weight. Unless of course the weight difference is not that much in reality plus the well know fact that Porsche's horses are stronger than others.

Porsche staked the goal post a long time ago for McLaren and Ferrari to shoot at. Over time Porsche added some side wind, aka system optimization to add to the performance. And now it is official that McLaren has missed the field goal. 

--

apias:
    Whoopsy:

... By the time my senses caught up with me Frank was yelling brake brake for the right turn that appeared out of no where it seems. 

It's really a shame you don't have through the windscreen video of that. 

Indeed. But chasing down the Turbo S is more fun. It's almost like toying with it, anytime anywhere on the course, if I feel like touching the rear bumper, boom I am right at it's ass. It's like Jordan playing basketball with grade 1 kids. 

--

Whoopsy:

Better question is, why is the P1 that much slower than the 918, despite the horsepower advantage AND the 'much lighter' weight. Unless of course the weight difference is not that much in reality plus the well know fact that Porsche's horses are stronger than others.

Porsche staked the goal post a long time ago for McLaren and Ferrari to shoot at. Over time Porsche added some side wind, aka system optimization to add to the performance. And now it is official that McLaren has missed the field goal. 

Gearing... 

Whoopsy:

That much slower? I'm not convinced it's any slower actually. Just depends where you want to set the start and end point. These numbers are still lower than the MT numbers to some extent:

P1: 9.8 @ 148.9 mph
    918: 9.8 @ 145mph

918 quicker down low with AWD and massive tq advantage, P1 quicker up high with less weight and more power. Car no doubt have different gearing as well. Unless you put them next to each other, I'd say they are identical in performance. Too close to call and none of these tests are under the same conditions. Keep in mind the 918 was only .3s quicker from 30-70 in the TG test than a 650hp/500tq car, even thought it has 200/400tq advantage. I think the 918 is just the ideal set up for low-er speeds with its AWD, albeit not by much.

US mags are always a bit "ideal" imo. None of the European magazines got anywhere close to these numbers and I'm pretty sure they even used the Weissach cars.

Until we see them side by side on the same day, it's pretty up in the air. I'm sure there will be a P1 vs 918 GTBoard video in the near future.

As I said, I still find is suspect that in this test the 918 was significantly faster from 100-130 than 60-100. Doesn't make sense that it could be a traction issue since the P1 is quicker from 60-100 in both tests.

P1 MT
    60-100: 2.1s
    100-130: 2.7s

P1 Autocar
    60-100: 2.4s
    100-130: 2.7s

60-100: 2.7s
    100-130: 1.8s

noone1:

That much slower? I'm not convinced it's any slower actually. 

'That much slower' doesn't means the P1 is literally slower than the 918. It actually means it's not up to the expectation that it was suppose to be a lot faster, as least on paper. The numbers shouldn't even be close. P1 supposedly has a superior HP to weight ratio so it was the heavy favourite, and the 918 was supposed to be that overweight pig. In gambling terms the P1 didn't even cover the spread. 

It's like the New England Patriots playing football against a NCAA team. If the Patriots didn't win by at least 30 points it's a failure. In this case the Patriots even managed to lose the game outright.

--

The idea that the 918 would possibly be faster even still blows the mind , 0-60 in 2.2 seconds is f1 territory. I don't think anybody that ordered one ever doubted porsche. After being mocked by everybody including the "experts" , its very nice to see the 918 proving them wrong. Just a question though , would these runs be achieved in "race mode" , or "hot lap"? 

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

That much slower? I'm not convinced it's any slower actually. 

'That much slower' doesn't means the P1 is literally slower than the 918. It actually means it's not up to the expectation that it was suppose to be a lot faster, as least on paper. The numbers shouldn't even be close. P1 supposedly has a superior HP to weight ratio so it was the heavy favourite, and the 918 was supposed to be that overweight pig. In gambling terms the P1 didn't even cover the spread. 

It's like the New England Patriots playing football against a NCAA team. If the Patriots didn't win by at least 30 points it's a failure. In this case the Patriots even managed to lose the game outright.

But if the P1 is just a tuned 12C as you said, and the 918 is a technological marvel light years ahead of the P1, doesn't that mean that the NCAA champions are in overtime with the New England Patriots? Glass half empty or half full?

I understand the argument that the 918 is able to offer the same performance and offer a lot of other stuff, and that they never set out to make the fastest track car. That said, how do we know the 918 could have been quicker otherwise? Maybe the heavy batteries, 4WS, and 2 electric motors is in fact required to make the fastest track car that's still usable on the street. Maybe they created the best performing car they could without even realizing it.

I guess the question would be, could the 918 actually be better if they set out with the same goals McLaren did? No idea. It would be a different story if the 918 was massively more usable on the street, but based on what I've seen -- tons of P1s on normal roads and owners driving the heck out of them on ML -- it's not. Both seem just about as ridiculous to use on the road for running errands or getting lunch :)

Anyway, the discussion is too hypothetical and philosophical for what it is. We have two cars with about the same performance. They go about it different ways and offer a different experience. Both are perfectly fine in normal use and getting plenty of real world usage. 

Personally I think the 918 is anything but luxurious and I'm not impressed with a stereosystem and infotainment with less usability and capability than a $200 phone. Finishing and design are what they are I guess. Some people pay a lot of money to replace nice metal and leather with weird checkered plastic and fabric (See: your Speciale heh or my 12C.). E-mode and targa are the biggest advantages of the 918 IMO. The rest is whatev and far from distinguising for me.

As always, YMMV.

<rant>
    Somewhat OT: I actually think all 3 companies fucked up with these cars squander their most valuable resources -- their designs. The cars physically don't cost much to produce and it kind of annoys me that they save the best for cars that are more or less out of reach for their biggest customer base. There would be a line out the door for a 918 even with just 991 TTS performance. I know I sure as hell would be interested. Maybe the P1 performance will help McLaren sell more cars, but I really do believe they would have sold more cars in the first place by just starting with the P1 design on the $300K car.

In a year no one will even talk about these cars anymore. How about letting people buy the cars they want most for change?
    </rant>

Whoopsy:

9.8 second 1/4 mile @ 145mph

That number right there tells you what you need to know about the acceleration of this car. A sub-10 second quarter mile? My K1200S BMW bike was in the mid to high 11's and it was fast. Wow. Smiley

I don't know how the La Ferrari is always left out of the conversation with the 918 and P1.  IMO, this car is the emotional winner - how do you compete for excitement factor with a naturally aspirated V12 that revs to 9k rpm?

--

noone1:

But if the P1 is just a tuned 12C as you said, and the 918 is a technological marvel light years ahead of the P1, doesn't that mean that the NCAA champions are in overtime with the New England Patriots? Glass half empty or half full?

Remember I am the only one saying that while a host of others who drank McLaren's koolaid keep refuting my assertion about the origin of the P1? And keep fantasizing about the theoretical performance of the P1? 

I had place the bet on the long shot underdog for the longest time. Getting into OT is already a victory, money in the pocket.Smiley

In this case Porsche has under promised and over delivered while McLaren did the exact reverse. But hats off to McLaren, they didn't missed their performance target by much, it's a great showing of my beloved 12C platform.

--

Grant:

I don't know how the La Ferrari is always left out of the conversation with the 918 and P1.  IMO, this car is the emotional winner - how do you compete for excitement factor with a naturally aspirated V12 that revs to 9k rpm?

Cause there are no hard numbers to be had? 

And it's a Ferrari, a lot of times performance doesn't matter as you stated already, it's more about emotional excitement. 

Now that I am a customer of all 3 brands, I really don't have a bias anymore. I understand what their cars are about. 

You don't have to push a Ferrari to get excitement, while the other Porsche and McLaren give you more excitement the more you push the car. 

--

noone1:

<rant>
    Somewhat OT: I actually think all 3 companies fucked up with these cars squander their most valuable resources -- their designs. The cars physically don't cost much to produce and it kind of annoys me that they save the best for cars that are more or less out of reach for their biggest customer base. There would be a line out the door for a 918 even with just 991 TTS performance. I know I sure as hell would be interested. Maybe the P1 performance will help McLaren sell more cars, but I really do believe they would have sold more cars in the first place by just starting with the P1 design on the $300K car.

In a year no one will even talk about these cars anymore. How about letting people buy the cars they want most for change?
    </rant>

I could not agree more.Smiley

Nick, I love you man but chortling does not suit you. At times it almost seems like you are trying to justify your decision in buying the 918 instead of the P1. If I was going to buy a million dollar car, like you I would go with the manufacturer who has a track record and been around awhile. You cannot go wrong with Porsche.SmileySmiley

nberry:

Nick, I love you man but chortling does not suit you. At times it almost seems like you are trying to justify your decision in buying the 918 instead of the P1. If I was going to buy a million dollar car, like you I would go with the manufacturer who has a track record and been around awhile. You cannot go wrong with Porsche.SmileySmiley

Haha, a more accurate description would be I am enjoying my sweet time on the 'I told you so' segment Smiley

I actually had my name down fro the P1 first before the 918. A apart from the Speciale, which was never on my radar before, I would research to death on my purchasing target. I will find out anything and everything about a car.

During my research I gained a lot of knowledge about both cars and I based my decision on those research. Initially I drank the McLaren koolaid too as I already had my 12C and is happy about it. But what they said and what I found out was 2 different stories and they wasn't even close to matching. 

There are others who still drank the koolaid and some to the extend that they actually bought the car too. Now they are the one justifying their purchase even when it failed to live up to what they were promised by McLaren. The tune has drastically changed from performance to driving experience, not moving the goal post but to change the playing field completely. 

Frankly I am ecstatic about my car right now. I just had my order locked so production is in the very near future. Flying out to Turks and Caicos tomorrow for a 2 week vacation also help. 

Also pissed at Ferrari right now, only Italians could have let obvious paint defect leave the factory. Left the car with the dealership for the next 2 weeks so they can fix the defect and the tire temperature problem.

--

Whoopsy:
    Also pissed at Ferrari right now, only Italians could have let obvious paint defect leave the factory. 

it's the charm and soul of Italian high end machinery Smiley

Paint problems from the Ferrari factory are notorious...

I was told as much, from the dealer no less.

Think the Ferrari bug bit me hard. Just saw a F12 parked outside the hotel I am staying in Toronto. Looks great in person, much better than from photos.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM