Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

RC:
    d997h:

Couldn't you just - once in a while - show some humbleness to your fellow RT-members and refrain from answers like these, please !?!?! My post was not intended to make me feel jealous at the end!! Smiley My next time at the Garda lake will be in September only...Smiley

Smiley C'mon...a little bit of showing off never hurt anybody. Smiley

Have I mentioned that it is only 400 km away from my hometown? Smiley

Yes, give it to me - I can handle this !!Smiley ...yeah, I have another 400 km (as you know...) ...

Coming back to the topic of the PCCBs - are your rotors gone then or damaged or will you even be getting them as spares should you need them ? I still do not understand, what the cause was for the noises...

RC:

Btw: I'm not really used to such long boats (this one had almost 10 meters), I usually drive boats around 6 meters or so. Also, this was the first time I drove a boat with a twin engine setup. You don't want to know how difficult it was for me to enter the port and land (park) this little fellow. Everybody said I did well but I know they lied. Smiley At least I didn't cause any damage. Smiley

You're kidding right? Twin engine boats are easier to maneuver than single engine ones. 

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:

Btw: I'm not really used to such long boats (this one had almost 10 meters), I usually drive boats around 6 meters or so. Also, this was the first time I drove a boat with a twin engine setup. You don't want to know how difficult it was for me to enter the port and land (park) this little fellow. Everybody said I did well but I know they lied. Smiley At least I didn't cause any damage. Smiley

You're kidding right? Twin engine boats are easier to maneuver than single engine ones. 

exactly..... just maneuver like  you do with a tank Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whoopsy:
    RC:

You're kidding right? Twin engine boats are easier to maneuver than single engine ones

Only if you are using one engine when you try to land (park). Unfortunately this was a little detail the guy who gave me the boat forgot to mention. Smiley ("always use both engines..."). Also, as I mentioned before: I was used to 5-7 meter boats, not to a 10 meter boat. Kind of makes a huge difference.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I never drove a motorboat with two engines. But several times I had to go with a big sailing catamaran in a tight harbor. Although a catamaran is much more responsive to (cross-)wind, it is much easier to park your catamaran than your monohull.

Like Gnill said, you have to maneuver like a tank. Don’t use the rudder at all, only both engines. You don’t even need a bowthruster to get into a tight parkingbox.

But maybe a catamaran is a little bit easier to maneuver because the distance between both propellers is bigger

Might I suggest this.  Since you are used to 6m boats and they are single engined typically, Find a friend or someone who is very experienced with single engine ski/wakeboard boats and practice how to make it swap ends at speed to: A) arrive with some elan at the dock and B) to make a boat stop quickly and C)how to reverse course very quickly. Learn this and your confidence will go way up.

Docking at full speed. From about 100m out you aim at the dock with 27knots speed., at about 60m and at full throttle shift the throttle to neutral, quickly crank the wheel 180. The boat will swap ends! Then lightly apply reverse throttle to motor up to the dock stern first. You will get a bit wet, but its a cool way to dock. Practice this away from others first! Make sure your passengers( if any) are well braced - they will get wet! Do not try this in a boat that is not a performance ski/wakecraft boat!  With some practice you can judge your boats speed and ability to do a 180 degree turn and can fly in at speed and use very little reverse throttle, if any, to dock stern first. You can also use this maneuver to evade a potential accident or people shooting at your boat etc.Just add full throttle after the 180.indecision

Even 10m boats are now available with pod drive or I/O pod like drives, with those you can actually make the boat rotate on its axis or move parallel to itself. Docking those is so easy a dog could do it.

Two engines, thrust in opposite direction (as Gnil said, drive it like a tank indecision). If you have a bow thruster too, then you can really move sideways with some twin engine practice and berth like a true captain! smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:

Two engines, thrust in opposite direction (as Gnil said, drive it like a tank indecision). If you have a bow thruster too, then you can really move sideways with some twin engine practice and berth like a true captain! smiley

With twin IPS and a joystick it's even easier. Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Guys, the only mistake I made was using both engines when I tried to "park". I should have used one only but the guy who instructed me on the setup told me to always use both engines but he forgot to mention the only exception: When I "park" the boat. 

Also, we did some waterskiing/wakeboard too (see photos), it was great fun and I'm really good at handling the boat for that purpose. 

1403775198598ski1.jpg

1403775219260ski2.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Btw, did anyone had a chance to read latest AB Sportcars and its comparison of tuned 991 TS with stock car. Interesting outcome...

KresoF1:
    Btw, did anyone had a chance to read latest AB Sportcars and its comparison of tuned 991 TS with stock car. Interesting outcome...

Spill the beans, Kreso... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Tuned cars not any faster, on the track and in straight line thwn stock car. Despite the fact that tuned cars were on Cups...

KresoF1:
    Tuned cars not any faster, on the track and in straight line thwn stock car. Despite the fact that tuned cars were on Cups...

Why ain't I surprised? Smiley Smiley

--

I wasn't supriesed either. IMHO only someone really stupid would tune 991T/TS. I know that I am little bit rude here.

I don't want to highjack this thread, but anything new on the Cayman GT4 (since you are usually well informedSmiley) ?

KresoF1:

Well, that's the same outcome as in any tuned-Porsche-Turbo test that I can remember. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Well, that's the same outcome as in any tuned-Porsche-Turbo test that I can remember. Smiley

Not true. The tuned 911 Turbo with Mezger engine were always faster than their OEM counterparts.

The problem with (not so effective) tuning started with the DI engine and the 997 Turbo facelift.

If you are referring to the track time only, you could be right though. It is very difficult to beat the very good chassis setup and most tuner chassis improvements don't work too well with the AWD/PSM setup.

This is the downside of the current 991 Turbo/S and even the previous 997 versions: The AWD/PSM are already part of something Porsche calls PTM (Porsche Traction Management) and everything is "connected" (networked), incl. PDK and now even the aerodynamics (991). The networking of the systems permits a very good setup but makes it very difficult for aftermarket tuners to improve anything. Usually, they make it even worse. Smiley

I mentioned it before: The limitation of the current 991 Turbo/S engine seems to be the amount of fuel being injected. You can raise the boost pressure all day long or improve ignition timings but if you cannot push more fuel through the injectors, everything is basically useless. Also, considering the fact that the AWS, AWD/PTM, PAA, PDK and so on are networked and adapting parameters based on how everything interacts, I would stay away from any chassis mods, including simple lowering springs.

Or to use the words of a tuner I know: The 991 Turbo S is a tuner's nightmare come true. Smiley

--

I mentioned it before: The limitation of the current 991 Turbo/S engine seems to be the amount of fuel being injected. You can raise the boost pressure all day long or improve ignition timings but if you cannot push more fuel through the injectors, everything is basically useless. Also, considering the fact that the AWS, AWD/PTM, PAA, PDK and so on are networked and adapting parameters based on how everything interacts, I would stay away from any chassis mods, including simple lowering springs.

Or to use the words of a tuner I know: The 991 Turbo S is a tuner's nightmare come true. Smiley

is that a problem they're working on fixing  with the update?

Not likely something they will fix.  It is by design. -in fact they will make it more difficult if they see tuners making progress.Smiley

Leawood911:

Not likely something they will fix.  It is by design. -in fact they will make it more difficult if they see tuners making progress.Smiley

+1 Smiley

It is not a defect, it is a feature Smiley

--

According to rumors, there will be a completely new engine generation with the 992 (or whatever the number will be), not necessarily the facelift (unless there is enough pressure to introduce the engine earlier).

Yes, it is (and will be) a feature to make it harder and harder for tuners to offer engine mods. Also, the networked cars make it very difficult for tuners anyway to do a proper job, so I would be very careful with any software mods. Changing a couple of software parameters here and there won't cut it anymore, things got already much more complex.

Everything is kind of connected...engine, PDK, AWD/PSM (PTM), PASM, PAA, AWS...so many things can go wrong.

For tuning, the 991 Turbo/S is definitely the wrong car, sorry to say that. I wouldn't risk it, not only because of the warranty issues.

--

RC:

Everything is kind of connected...engine, PDK, AWD/PSM (PTM), PASM, PAA, AWS...so many things can go wrong.

For tuning, the 991 Turbo/S is definitely the wrong car, sorry to say that. I wouldn't risk it, not only because of the warranty issues.

+1

--

Update to my PCCB front rotors exchange: The noise is still there. I told the mechanic that it cannot be the PCCB because it makes noises even if I do not brake but he told me that he checked with Porsche directly and the noise can happen even without braking. Now things are getting interesting...two PCCB rotors wasted for nothing. Furthermore, they didn't give me new brake pads, if I knew, I would have paid new ones myself since they are already half through anyway. Bummer. The loss of time is the major factor for me here...having to find time to drive to the dealer, etc.etc. etc.. Oh boy...

--

RC:

Bummer. The loss of time is the major factor for me here...having to find time to drive to the dealer, etc.etc. etc.. Oh boy...

This is what annoys most of these things, time having to go to the dealer completely wasted for issues beyond regular maintenance Smiley ... doesn't matter if issues like these are covered by warranty, it's time you could be relaxing, having fun, exercising, etc that you are loosing... that time has a lot of value, but having to go twice for the same issue drives me nuts...

--

So if they collected your car for you and left a loaner to use - problem solved? 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

So if they collected your car for you and left a loaner to use - problem solved? 

Yes but they never offered and I do not beg.

I could escalate things by contacting Porsche directly but what the heck, do I really have to involve Porsche directly every time the dealer doesn't seem to get the job done? Kind of embarrassing for me...and especially the dealer.

Tomorrow I am going to bring them (dealer) the car and if I have to loose my precious time again, Porsche will take care of that for me. Still...annoying that I always have to involve Porsche because the truth is, the dealership should be capable to take care of the problem.

--

OK, guys...the issue with the "clicking" noise without braking seems to have been localized: Not sure how to say this in English but the dampers of the suspension chambers (front) seems to be the reason  for the clicking noise. They will be exchanged for new ones, there seems to be a new Technical Information from Porsche regarding this issue.

My car should be out of the repair shop by the end of the week, let's hope for the best. 

Btw: First, I got a 991 Carrera Cab loaner and after a couple of days a 991 Carrera S Cab. What a difference. Especially in the upper rev range, the Carrera (non-S) feels so lethargic.

Also interesting: I did a "drag race" from standstill with my wife in the Boxster S and both, the 991 Carrera (non-S) and Boxster S were head to head up to 120 kph (I had Sport Plus on but PDK was in auto mode, my wife had PDK in auto mode but no Sport or Sport Plus active, we just both floored it from standstill). 

In the past, I thought the base Carrera is more of enough 911 for most drivers but after this experience, I would get only the Carrera S. I thought it is worth mentioning.

--

Interesting, for the Coupe - I found very little difference in real-world driving (in a speed limited country) between the S and standard Carrera. So much so, that I avoided the S!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Interesting, for the Coupe - I found very little difference in real-world driving (in a speed limited country) between the S and standard Carrera. So much so, that I avoided the S!

The difference is in the upper rev range. While the Carrera (non-S) feels lethargic, the S version revs pretty freely. Huge difference in drive/engine feel. Of course the 50 hp difference are to blame too but it is mostly about how the engine feels/revs, not performance.

--

hmmm, so, your Porsche dealer has now some spare (slightly used) pccb rotors in stock ? Smiley Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM