Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ferraris - Not Cool !

According to the BBC producer of Top Gear. Quote-

"Ferraris are seen as the pinnacle of automotive erotica and in engineering and pedigree terms they are. But who drives them? Middle-aged timber-yard tycoons from Surrey. What ladies go for them? Mainly the ones who go up and down a pole for a living."

To find out if your car is cool or not, go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk

Re: Ferraris - Not Cool !

Which ladies don't go up and down a pole for a living?

I am not sure what to make of the middle age comment. Didn't Porsche claim that the average age of Porsche owners is 47?

What is a timber-yard tycoon?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Must be a British expression .

obviously, those comments came just out of gealousy of not being able to afford one. We work hard. We get paid appropriately, and spend on what we love. That I think, is very very cool guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I am not sure what to make of the middle age comment. Didn't Porsche claim that the average age of Porsche owners is 47?

And what is a timber-yard tycoon? A owner of a chain of lumber stores. I guess thats a social stigma in the UK.

Nick, just go to a Ferrari Owners Club meeting and you will feel young again.

Just make sure you do not trip over the walkers and canes stacked up at the entrance.

Actually Ferrari ownership is not a reliable indicator of age or success or dating luck. But to the Producer of Top Gear, Ferraris have become over the top, corny and make their owners look like they are trying too much to be someone. He politely did not use the word gauche.

Im sure he has made plenty of money from Top Gear and could buy a bevy of Ferraris. The Producer always gets first count of any revenue and thats why its the best job to have in the industry.

You can blame the world wide cultural phenomenoa of slandering sports car makes for their owners social status
    on the British.

Before the 80's there was none of it. It is traceable directly to Brit car magazines from that period. Before they grew long sneering noses and wrote over generalized snarkey comments about sports car makes and their owners, the subject was non existent.

thats great arakis

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    But to the Producer of Top Gear, Ferraris have become over the top, corny

Ferraris over the top? Makes we wonder what they think of Lambos, Paganis, etc, that make Ferraris look very conservative and restrained.

Gary

I think that the idea of a Ferrari now, is the car that you get to let everyone know you've made it, and I think that's really too bad. Because they are amazing cars, and they really are amazing to drive. But now everyone with money and even a little interest in cars gets either the Ferrari F430, or the Gallardo, because everyone else has them.

In my opinion, I would not get either if I had that kind of money. Their are so many other options out there that are much more unique.

Their are so many other options out there that are much more unique.

as what ????

Quote:
    AndyM said:

Quote:
    Patriek said:

as what ????

I'd like to know, too.

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    But now everyone with money and even a little interest in cars gets either the Ferrari F430, or the Gallardo, because everyone else has them.

Wow! I didn't even know they make that many. What's it up to...50k-60k units a year? More? Please explain?

Quote:
    arakis said:

Alot more than you think!

LOL... Like the British should be writing about "what's cool and what's not".

That's like having a Southern Californian write a piece about higher education.

Quote:
    arakis said:

couldn't have been a better first responce,

Quote:
    arakis said:

I'm sorry for you if that's the only kind of women in your life.

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    everyone with money and even a little interest in cars gets either the Ferrari F430, or the Gallardo, because everyone else has them.

Serious money buys the real Ferraris - the ones that have as many as 8 digits in the price tag and historical provenance. Totally different league from the " retail " Ferraris that you buy like a Camry .

Hmm,not a lot of sense of humor on the Ferrari Board. Top Gear is always provocative, and yes most of the F an P owners are middle aged. Doesn't that make you feel great if YOU are NOT

I will drive a volvo when I'm middle aged and a sportscar when I'm still "young"

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    AndyM said:

Quote:
    Patriek said:

as what ????

I'd like to know, too.

would love to know too

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    AndyM said:
    everyone with money and even a little interest in cars gets either the Ferrari F430, or the Gallardo, because everyone else has them.

Serious money buys the real Ferraris - the ones that have as many as 8 digits in the price tag and historical provenance. Totally different league from the " retail " Ferraris that you buy like a Camry .

"real" Ferraris ... "retail" Ferraris ...... are you kidding, or just plain stupid !!

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:

I'm sorry for you if that's the only kind of women in your life.

Haha, I believe arakis was speaking of a different pole

So was I...

Hey now! no need for insults guys, we are just talking about cars

Not sure how it is outside of the USA, but I'd have to agree with AndyM, owning a Ferrari is a status symbol that you've made it, but they are becoming as common on the road as 996's & Z06 corvette's, which were viewed as high end cars back in the day. Granted an Enzo is a different story, but owning a carrera GT or saleen S7 is the new level "made it" today. Nevertheless, being on the waiting list can be a pain, but the delivery is well worth the wait when you cam pull out of the dealership and have every driver slow down just to see the car, curious to who owns it. By this I'm not saying I wouldn't purchase a 430, but if I wanted to make a statement of my hard work I'd look to the limited production vehicles. Note: top gear does feature these vehicles as the ultimate purchase, but if you note their test on the zonda and other limited vehicles, they state that they had to make special accomidations or plugs just to get the test of these cars on the show - Example: Enzo episode where they had to plug the pink floyd book. Proof that these cars were even out of reach for the producers to just slip dealers some mumbo jumbo for their test.

I bought my first Ferrari at 23, have owned 7 since, now 33. I have never been near a timber yard in my life, nor do I know any women that go up and down poles..

Erm well i think Us brits can say what is cool and not thank you very much, the DB9 Lotus and hippies lol if you cant understand english humour then dont bother trying i understand it can be alittle hard to people not so "cool" as we are hmmm i think what he is saying is ferrari is Not what it used to be and they are seen in london all over the place ive heard that they are much rarer in the states but over here well they are about and not unheard or seen of,

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805869 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449214 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90344 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7024 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886803 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835541 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM