Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Boyko23:

918 demolish Agera R and 650S in drag race angel

http://web.stagram.com/p/738584955604000558_5228670

http://youtu.be/csT-THwxe7M

Agera R kinda suck. Seems only quick in unusable speeds.

ouch.

SuzyF:

This is, besides the fact that they make extremely ugly cars, one of the main reasons why I don't like McLaren. It's nothing more than a bunch of people with a big mouth. The brand reflects Ron Dennis' personality perfectly!  

Smiley Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

SuzyF:
    Whoopsy:

OMG, McLaren said they will not submit a car and have no interest on a head to head and may not set a time at Dunsfold. Their own developmental track!!!

The official excuse was it will not be a true representation of what their car can do. WOW.  I cannot believe their said that. If setting a time on a track is not representation of what their car can do, what is? Getting 90miles to the gallon? 20 miles on electric charge? A capable sports car that can seat 3? We know they can't achieve none of the above. So what do they think will be a true representation?

This time around, I think McLaren has truly lost the battle and the war. Cutting production target by 25% from 500 to 375 in order to have a chance to claim a sell-out, didn't release a time for the Ring, didn't want to do a head to head against the 918 on their OWN HOME TRACK!!! I can understand not wanting to go head to head at the Ring as it was Porsche's de facto home track on home turf, but Dunsfold too?

During the P1's development, they must have had hundreds if not thousands of lap times recorded, could it be that none of those even came close to the still unreleased 918 time?

I am a McLaren fan, always was and still is, loved the F1 and that's why I bought the 12C, to have a piece of McLaren. But the P1 is truly a disappointing product from McLaren, it was nothing more than a cash grab.

Man, while I had already committed to the 918, I have even more respect for the Frank walliser and his 918 team. They made a 'pig' that flies, performance that will shame all challengers, AND one of the most fuel efficient car on the market right now. I wonder how Porsche or anyone else can top that for foreseeable future. The 918 is not a step ahead, it's more like a mile ahead.

This is, besides the fact that they make extremely ugly cars, one of the main reasons why I don't like McLaren. It's nothing more than a bunch of people with a big mouth. The brand reflects Ron Dennis' personality perfectly!  

I know looks are down to personal taste but I do not know how you could say they're ugly!
    McLaren-650S_Coupe_MSO_Concept_67563443655.jpg650s-mso-mclaren-h2.jpg
    fos2013_p1.jpg10265405_683769624992425_8985763093201387407_o.jpg

I think those are really ugly cars. Can't help it. yes I can't find a thing that I like.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

jack-nicholson-joker.jpg

Outside of hardcore McLaren fan boys, it's pretty universal that the joker face on the P1 and now the 650S is quite ugly.

--

bridggar:

XJ220 all over again?

Not quite as bad, at least McLaren didn't chop off half the cylinder count.

--

ffforever:

What is wrong with Mclaren declining the head to head? It will only reduce the confidence customers have in their products, they aren't yet in Ferrari's position....

Nor Porsche. You can bet in the near future there will be a comparison with all three cars being submitted by owners and not the factory. But at this price point and performance does it really matter?Smiley Neither Futch or Nick bought their super cars because they were the fastest.

Whoopsy:

Outside of hardcore McLaren fan boys, it's pretty universal that the joker face on the P1 and now the 650S is quite ugly.

That's a bit of a stretch. I'd say universally the P1 is very well received. There is a reason that people literally crowd around it.

I'd say it's no more considered universally ugly than the 918 is incredibly and typically Porsche-bland and the LF awkwardly long and pointy. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd be willing to bet money that if you took a vote among the general public for any of these cars, the vast majority would say they all look amazing.

And yes, IMO the 918 is incredibly bland from every view except the rear, just like the CGT was compared to the Enzo, and just like all the 911s are compared to other exotics. Great cars, but only if you don't mind blending in. For $1M, I need something more outrageous. It's why I never wanted a CGT. Just thought its looks didn't live up to its performance and price.

nberry:
    ffforever:

What is wrong with Mclaren declining the head to head? It will only reduce the confidence customers have in their products, they aren't yet in Ferrari's position....

Nor Porsche. You can bet in the near future there will be a comparison with all three cars being submitted by owners and not the factory. But at this price point and performance does it really matter?Smiley Neither Futch or Nick bought their super cars because they were the fastest.

And neither of us bought the P1. 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    ffforever:

And neither of us bought the P1. 

Yes but where's our cars?...getting frustrated!

The 918 is a classic shape because Porsche have a history. Some may find it unimaginative and too bland.

The Ferrari has elements from previous Ferraris but a kind of ready-to-race look has been added. Some would find the design not beautiful enough for a Ferrari.

The McLaren are very new to road cars without reference points (well it was the F1 too) and so they elected to be more extreme with the P1. Its shape divides opinion from positive (striking and distinct) to negative (comic-book and out-of-bad-sci-fi film).

People with €1 million and over to spend on a car have a choice but also a problem choosing just one as they all have their different merits.

I would buy two to be completely satisfied; the 918 and the LF indecision

--

"Form follows function"

noone1:
    That's a bit of a stretch. I'd say universally the P1 is very well received. There is a reason that people literally crowd around it.

I'd say it's no more considered universally ugly than the 918 is incredibly and typically Porsche-bland and the LF awkwardly long and pointy. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd be willing to bet money that if you took a vote among the general public for any of these cars, the vast majority would say they all look amazing.

And yes, IMO the 918 is incredibly bland from every view except the rear, just like the CGT was compared to the Enzo, and just like all the 911s are compared to other exotics. Great cars, but only if you don't mind blending in. For $1M, I need something more outrageous. It's why I never wanted a CGT. Just thought its looks didn't live up to its performance and price.

Not sure if they crowd over it because it's beautiful or because it's rare. In the old days, people crowd over the Elephant Man too. 

Most people do say the 918 is very understated in the looks department, doesn't have the edgy styling of the other 2. I will give you that, heck, I bought it because it looks more classy and understated. 

Vector W8 came out around the same time as the 959, it has all the outrageous and edgy styling too, that style didn't last but the timeless 959 did, it still looks great more than 2 decades later.

--

Have a good friend who has a P1, a 918, a 991 Turbo S, and an F12.  If you ask him about design, he says all are fabulous cars in their own way.  Af a certain financial level, design on its own is irrelevant….

Wonderbar:

Have a good friend who has a P1, a 918, a 991 Turbo S, and an F12.  If you ask him about design, he says all are fabulous cars in their own way.  Af a certain financial level, design on its own is irrelevant….

And there are undoubtably others in the same place where design on its own is most important...

I find the 918 the most aestetically pleasing of the 3, the LaF the most difficult. Then again I also abhor the Enzo and would always go for graceful over angular. 

Each to their own...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Wonderbar:

Does he have a preference as to which he considers the best? I suspect he will say they are own good in their own right. But, if he had to choose one to take out for a ride on a sunny day which would he take?

pxaxh:
    SuzyF:
    Whoopsy:

OMG, McLaren said they will not submit a car and have no interest on a head to head and may not set a time at Dunsfold. Their own developmental track!!!

The official excuse was it will not be a true representation of what their car can do. WOW.  I cannot believe their said that. If setting a time on a track is not representation of what their car can do, what is? Getting 90miles to the gallon? 20 miles on electric charge? A capable sports car that can seat 3? We know they can't achieve none of the above. So what do they think will be a true representation?

This time around, I think McLaren has truly lost the battle and the war. Cutting production target by 25% from 500 to 375 in order to have a chance to claim a sell-out, didn't release a time for the Ring, didn't want to do a head to head against the 918 on their OWN HOME TRACK!!! I can understand not wanting to go head to head at the Ring as it was Porsche's de facto home track on home turf, but Dunsfold too?

During the P1's development, they must have had hundreds if not thousands of lap times recorded, could it be that none of those even came close to the still unreleased 918 time?

I am a McLaren fan, always was and still is, loved the F1 and that's why I bought the 12C, to have a piece of McLaren. But the P1 is truly a disappointing product from McLaren, it was nothing more than a cash grab.

Man, while I had already committed to the 918, I have even more respect for the Frank walliser and his 918 team. They made a 'pig' that flies, performance that will shame all challengers, AND one of the most fuel efficient car on the market right now. I wonder how Porsche or anyone else can top that for foreseeable future. The 918 is not a step ahead, it's more like a mile ahead.

I know looks are down to personal taste but I do not know how you could say they're ugly!
    McLaren-650S_Coupe_MSO_Concept_67563443655.jpg

I, personally, like the look of their cars, but the 650S seems so lazy to me; it looks like nothing more than a P1 front and 12C ass.  And do all three share the same/similar chassis?

--

They all share the same basic chassis, suspension. P1 has the trick vario-height adjustment.  The tubs are modified a bit in the P1's applications.

All share the same engine, with the P1 sporting bigger turbos. All have the same chassis hard points.

You can consider the 12C as the Carrera, the 650S the Carrera S and the P1 the Turbo.

The 650S is just a12C facelift after all.

My god... The look is busy as hell. Trying way too hard. Designers must have been like: "Maybe if we add one more crease to the side panel?  Sure, yeah, why not..."

What  isn't  ugly?

noone1:

... but I'd be willing to bet money that if you took a vote among the general public for any of these cars, the vast majority would say they all look amazing. ...

Since when is public opinion a reliable arbiter of taste?

apias:
    noone1:

... but I'd be willing to bet money that if you took a vote among the general public for any of these cars, the vast majority would say they all look amazing. ...

Since when is public opinion a reliable arbiter of taste?

Since when hasn't it been when it comes to selling stuff highly dependent on looks? How else would you judge a cars overall, general appeal if not by asking the public?

Back to live pics: someone's gotten his/hers 918 on Finland: https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10446230_10152491066611252_8327677409490907854_o.jpg (pic lifted from FB, not mine)

Yesterday, me and my son had the pleasure to enjoy this little puppy.

I am actually thinking about getting a used one in two years or so, after my 991 Turbo S lease runs out. Perfect weekend fun car and I would even consider this color. indecision

My wife still told me that she would divorce me if I would get one but after she saw how people react to the car (pretty positively, which kind of surprised me), a quiet "maybe" came over here lips. 

If I had the money, I would get the 918, no doubt about it but I think the Aventador is the next best thing if you have a "tight" budget.

Let's see if I can get one in two years for 150k EUR or so.

avent.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

It's a shame Lamborghini never gets the halo cars. Veneno is only a little less bullshit than the Reventon. Overpriced body-kits. Would have been nice to see 918 tech in a Lamborghini.

Not to get too off-topic, but yeah, the Aventador is probably one of the best looking cars of the last 20 years. I'm a big fan of Grigio Estoque and a gold color. McLaren got a lot of flack about the depreciation (over $100K now in some cases,) but surprisingly the Aventador hasn't done that much better. There are currently cars with no bids on eBay with BIN of around $360K. Assume another $10K off easily negotiating and the Aventador is down about $80-100K too for 2012 models.

Another year or two and it will be below $300K and in consideration depending on what else is on the market. Car just needs to lose some weight and get a DCT IMO.

Out of the 10 Reventon produced, one is in the possession of the Chechen leader Kadyrov.

Crazy times!

1402394344693image.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Nick, I will ask my friend for a comparison, post a reply.  

RC:

Yesterday, me and my son had the pleasure to enjoy this little puppy.

I am actually thinking about getting a used one in two years or so, after my 991 Turbo S lease runs out. Perfect weekend fun car and I would even consider this color. indecision

My wife still told me that she would divorce me if I would get one but after she saw how people react to the car (pretty positively, which kind of surprised me), a quiet "maybe" came over here lips. 

If I had the money, I would get the 918, no doubt about it but I think the Aventador is the next best thing if you have a "tight" budget.

Let's see if I can get one in two years for 150k EUR or so.

avent.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Amazing car, not sure about the color. My friend own one white, in London. It looks stunning

--

It looks spectacular as a V12 Lamborghini should. I drove one around Imola last week which was a lot of fun. However, the gear change was shocking. Could you live with that jerkiness on a day to day basis? I have said it before, and it was reinforced by driving the Huracan on the same day, that it really needs a dual clutch gearbox. Also whilst the V12 sounds lovely it is no match for the sound from an F12 in full flow. Nevertheless, very tempting Smiley

Let's go back to 918 content indecision

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-technology/telematics-demo-porsche-918-spyder

First time I see a demonstration of the infotainment system in action. Never bothered with playing around with the system when I had some seat time in the cockpit. 

--

Wardsauto also has a test drive video.

http://wardsauto.com/vehicle-test-drives/first-ride-porsche-s-million-dollar-car

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754303 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431218 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255714 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79725 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868693 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802492 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM