Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

1.6l 4 cilinder Boxster

Next step after this amazing 4 cilinder Porsche, a wonderful 3 cilinder with 1.0L Smiley

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/06/porsche-four-cylinder-engines-detailed.html

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Re: 1.6l 4 cilinder Boxster

I actually think it's great news. Perfect engine for the entry level roadster if they manage to keep the weight of that car very low.  Now we just have to hope that Porsche is able to make this a nice high revving, good sounding turbocharged engine....

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

This just reaffirms that ordering a gts with a NA flat 6 was a good move. How certain is the 1.6l flat four and when is it to be released?

As much as I love the Boxster a four cylinder one has no appeal to me whatsoever. 

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Porsche is, I guess, assuming that entry level Boxster/Cayman buyers won't care about the engine details as long as power and performance are OK. I'm afraid however that sooner or later, the high end models will get a 4-cyl. engine too. Unless of course Porsche wants to use synergies with the 911 and use a turbo charged 6-cyl. engine instead.

Truth is: It is getting more and more difficult for car manufacturers like Porsche to build "appropriate" sports cars. So many new environmental laws, it is not easy for them.

I still think that Porsche should create a second brand within the brand, Porsche Motorsport (PM) for example sounds quite attractive to me. Not sure how a second brand within a brand will be handled legally (emissions, etc.) but they could at least offer their top models through that new brand, so they don't have to hold back too much regarding engine power/type and exhaust sounds.

Personally, I would never buy a Porsche Boxster or 911 with a 4-cyl. engine. I already had my issues with the 4-cyl. in the A45 AMG I test-drove. It may be in my head only but I also wouldn't buy a V6 in the Cayenne or the Panamera, sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

J.Seven:

Next step after this amazing 4 cilinder Porsche, a wonderful 3 cilinder with 1.0L Smiley

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/06/porsche-four-cylinder-engines-detailed.html

The BMW i8 uses a 3 cylinder 1.5 L engine on a €120.000 car. We are entering a new era and we have to gradually accept it.

--

"Form follows function"

Just came back from the dealer and had a talk about the ''new Porsche  buyers i.e. Macan '' . He told me these people  only want the Porsche badge and want the smallest engine possible surprise  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC:

Porsche is, I guess, assuming that entry level Boxster/Cayman buyers won't care about the engine details as long as power and performance are OK. I'm afraid however that sooner or later, the high end models will get a 4-cyl. engine too. Unless of course Porsche wants to use synergies with the 911 and use a turbo charged 6-cyl. engine instead.

Truth is: It is getting more and more difficult for car manufacturers like Porsche to build "appropriate" sports cars. So many new environmental laws, it is not easy for them.

I still think that Porsche should create a second brand within the brand, Porsche Motorsport (PM) for example sounds quite attractive to me. Not sure how a second brand within a brand will be handled legally (emissions, etc.) but they could at least offer their top models through that new brand, so they don't have to hold back too much regarding engine power/type and exhaust sounds.

Personally, I would never buy a Porsche Boxster or 911 with a 4-cyl. engine. I already had my issues with the 4-cyl. in the A45 AMG I test-drove. It may be in my head only but I also wouldn't buy a V6 in the Cayenne or the Panamera, sorry.

The new era of low emissions, low fuel consumption, engine downsizing and hybrids is hard to accept for older people. However, older people will be out of the driving cycle in the next 20 or 30 years while they will be gradually replaced by young drivers who are growing up in the new environment.

In the meantime there will always be a chance to drive huge multi-cylinder engines with noisy exhausts and 30l/100km, but someone will have to either spend very large amounts on heavily taxed low volume cars or buy something from the past.

I envisage that in 20 years time, even 4 cylinder 2.0 engines will be a wasteful rarity. 

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:

Just came back from the dealer and had a talk about the ''new Porsche  buyers i.e. Macan '' . He told me these people  only want the Porsche badge and want the smallest engine possible surprise  

True but my dealer could sell much more Macan Turbo for example but he just didn't get the necessary numbers (I think he got only 4 Macan Turbo for the whole current MY but he could have sold double the number).

Yes, people buying the base Macan with little options will be a huge problem. Not necessarily for Porsche but for the dealerships.

Also interesting: A potential Macan Diesel buyer asked a sales person I know if he can have a 911 or 911 Cab loaner (for free of course) from time to time if he orders the Macan. Oh well... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I understand that the Macan is a saviour for many dealerships who were struggling to sell only expensive cars. Why would the Macan be a problem for them?

The S Diesel is sufficient for 95% of the people 99% of the time. Even in Germany at times when the unrestricted roads are free of traffic very few go beyond the 230km/h top speed.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I understand that the Macan is a saviour for many dealerships who were struggling to sell only expensive cars. Why would the Macan be a problem for them?

The S Diesel is sufficient for 95% of the people 99% of the time. Even in Germany at times when the unrestricted roads are free of traffic very few go beyond the 230km/h top speed.

Some dealers aren't physically capable of servicing and maintaining such a large number of cars. Porsche dealerships are generally smaller in scale due to the more exclusive and expensive offerings they put out so suddenly having a volume model like a base Macan has the potential to introduce many new customers to the fold and swamp dealer facilities.

My local dealer, for instance, is already inundated with the tens of thousands of Porsches they have to regularly maintain and their storage garage is packed bumper to bumper. The Macan will no doubt add to this issue so unless Porsche has a proper expansion plan in mind to accommodate this, they may be in for trouble.

Just my input.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

reginos:

I actually don't know any German dealer who is happy with the introduction of the Macan.

The Macan creates new problems, especially for smaller dealerships. They need to show the cars in their (very limited) showroom, Macan customers are sometimes very pretentious (they buy a Porsche) but at the same time asking for rebates (which are very common with other manufacturers), which especially on the Macan are very limited right now. Then, there will be a second hand market later on, which will attract many customers in the 20-40k EUR price range. Not exactly what a Porsche dealership is used to or wants. Smiley

This isn't about top speed only. Most cars on the Autobahn drive at speeds around 140-180 kph, so the top speed isn't really an issue. I agree, for regular buyers, the S Diesel is more than enough but the moment they have a X3 35d or RSQ5 encounter, they won't be too happy. Even worse is the fact that most X3 35d or RSQ5 owners have no model designation on the car over here. Porsche owners expect maximum performance and especially Macan owners will have issues with other drivers trying to "stick it" to them. I can watch that every day in my Boxster S, not so much in my Turbo S. Smiley

--

Perhaps, they could subcontract the routine work to other garages? Things like oil change, brake pads and routine inspection, for example?

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    reginos:

I actually don't know any German dealer who is happy with the introduction of the Macan.

The Macan creates new problems, especially for smaller dealerships. They need to show the cars in their (very limited) showroom, Macan customers are sometimes very pretentious (they buy a Porsche) but at the same time asking for rebates (which are very common with other manufacturers), which especially on the Macan are very limited right now. Then, there will be a second hand market later on, which will attract many customers in the 20-40k EUR price range. Not exactly what a Porsche dealership is used to or wants. Smiley

In the long run they are given the opportunity to sell more cars, however.

Perhaps, not in Germany or the USA but there are many markets, now with the geographical expansion of Porsche, that it is not easy to sell significant numbers of sportscars or large SUVs and limousines. In such places the Macan is ideal and it will keep many dealers viable. In China for example, Porsche have been obliged to introduce the 2.0 Macan to satisfy the local market, whereas in Germany the S Diesel is considered as too feeble.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Perhaps, they could subcontract the routine work to other garages? Things like oil change, brake pads and routine inspection, for example?

Or to VW and Audi dealerships?  (done that...)

What is the big fuss about a flat four - as long as the car is faster it is better - that is just progress.  Accept it and move on (PDK reasoning 101).

BTW - there is a lot be can do about it.  Stop being stupid sheep and VOTE these clowns out of office.  Elect SMALLER government and fewer regulations which hinder free choice.

BTW2 - they could also let Audi and VW sell the Macan and Cayene - call them Q5, Tiguan etc.  - who knows.Smiley

If I was an entry level Macan buyer I would expect the same level of service as someone buying a 991 TT... When you buy into a brand you are also buying into their sales and service departments. Dealers should see this as an opportunity to shine and sell them more expensive cars when they are ready to do so. Some of you still cannot accept Porsche makes SUVs and sedans. But fact is without them, Porsche would probably be marginal right now. RC idea is a good one, create a sport division and put top models (turbos) and ultra sport ones like GT3 and such in there.

And if you think that Porsche service is very different from other german luxury auto makers, well think again. In the USA, I don't see any big difference. Sales person however are more knowledgeable (my last experience with an Audi sales person was that he didn't know much and was not really qualified to handle ordering problems and tough questions).

The last time I engaged Audi was a few months ago - view to buying an A5 cab. I couldn't believe how useless the salesman was. I would get better service and knowledge from mobile phone shop staff. (and similar standards of personal hygiene!!) I bought a used BMW in the end and it was a pleasant experience from start to finish. (even if the car has now developed a fault with it's airbags!)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

dreamcar:

As much as I love the Boxster a four cylinder one has no appeal to me whatsoever. 

+1

Leawood911:

BTW2 - they could also let Audi and VW sell the Macan and Cayene - call them Q5, Tiguan etc.  - who knows.Smiley

This is a very good idea actually.

Call the Porsche SUVs "Audi by Porsche" and give an exclusive line within Audi, with Porsche getting % of the profit on each car. In this way no one can complain about Porsche making SUVs and diluting etc. Without SUVs in the range Porsche could charge even more for their sportscars and therefore make even more money.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The new era of low emissions, low fuel consumption, engine downsizing and hybrids is hard to accept for older people.......

Thanks reginos....Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

BMW 335d M Sport Touring estoril blue(on order) - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    reginos:

The new era of low emissions, low fuel consumption, engine downsizing and hybrids is hard to accept for older people.......

It takes one to know one Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    dreamcar:
    reginos:

It takes one to know one Smiley

Smiley

--

reginos:

Not possible, at least not in Germany. In Germany, dealerships are completely separate, you won't see a "mixed" Porsche/Audi/VW or Porsche whatever other brand dealership. Plain Porsche. There was a huge campaign to establish that years ago, the so called CI (corporate identity) implementation. In the past, many Porsche dealerships were also Audi and/or VW dealerships. No more, at least not in Germany.

--

RC:
    reginos:

Not possible, at least not in Germany. In Germany, dealerships are completely separate, you won't see a "mixed" Porsche/Audi/VW or Porsche whatever other brand dealership. Plain Porsche. There was a huge campaign to establish that years ago, the so called CI (corporate identity) implementation. In the past, many Porsche dealerships were also Audi and/or VW dealerships. No more, at least not in Germany.

Nor here as far as I am aware.

--

I think here in Munich Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche Zentrum Munich are still working together as a group (former MAHAG).

My company owns several cars (Volkswagen Group) and the CRM software used by them is quite annoying. Even if someone (private/company) has more than one car there is only one telephone number for each owner. Not very professional if your are not in Europe and somebody gives you a call in the middle of the night to tell you that "your" VW is ready because they forget to change the mobile number. The Porsche service isn’t better, several times I received a call by my colleagues that Porsche had informed them that my car is ready.

They used the same 24/7 gate to drop or get your car, but maybe this has changed this year.

Itsme:

I think here in Munich Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche Zentrum Munich are still working together as a group (former MAHAG).

Are you sure? The showroom and the repair shop need to be separate (and I am pretty sure they are). The whole logistics stuff "behind the curtains" is a different story.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, since Porsche is now under the VW Group umbrella, there will be mixed dealerships again in the future. I would actually love to have a dealer who sells for example Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti under one roof. More choices (and hopefully a better service). Smiley Smiley

--

Yes, showroom and repair shop are seperated (same street). I can't remember if Porsche and Volkswagen/Audi ever had a common showroom (Audi and Volkswagen had, they are seperated since several years)

Itsme:

Yes, showroom and repair shop are seperated (same street). I can't remember if Porsche and Volkswagen/Audi ever had a common showroom (Audi and Volkswagen had, they are seperated since several years)

I bought my last VW (a Scirocco GTi 16V) almost 30 years ago at an official dealership and I remember they had a beautiful Porsche 928 in the showroom next to the Scirocco and it was just beautiful (the 928).

--

Same in the US, has to be separate.

Must be worldwide... here in Spain Porsche dealerships must be separate, they may own other brand dealerships of course, but the Porsche showroom and shop must be on a separate location, with the cooporate exterior look, and cannot be shared with any other brand.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM