Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

I want to give my opinion on this topic too :
    Shame on me, because I 'm just a casual poster. In the last 8 years of my membership I have achieved only 1325 contributions or around 165 on an average per year. But in all the years in which I am a member here, RT has become a great virtual home for me. There is hardly a day on which I don’t check the latest posts .

I don’t know any other community where a lot of members seem so familiar. Even that we don’t know us personally, somehow we can get the feeling „knowing“ each other. This is because we recognize the writing style , the opinions and attitudes of the frequent posting member. Beside this the internationality of the forum and the mutual respect among the member is almost unique .

Of course we will hope that the carmaker will give RT a far better support, but we can’t be sure about.

A serious solution might be that an annual fee of € 19.90 will be charged. There are currently over 20,000 members at RT. Assuming that the number of members will be drop to a half (after the introduction of a membership fee) the overall revenue will be at € 200,000/ a year. Perhaps 10,000 paying members are more valuable than 20,000 non-paying members?

This would RT turn to a very exclusive closed user group. Probably then the auto industry would have more interest in RT and make exclusive contributions or test cars available.

If this idea does not appear feasible, then this forum should remain as what it is: a great community that does not necessarily only discuss car issues, but in which the members can exchange their opinions friendly to all subjects. At this point I'm strong hope that RT will survive. But it will not if  you, Christian, leave RT. Please stay and give your input  as always to this great community. 

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

+1

I would pay an annual fee of € 19.90 to keep in touch with you guys.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

+1

+2

I would even strech myself to an even EUR 20 Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Wow, guys...this is so generous but this is exactly our problem: How can we charge for something and then not deliver? Taking money from our users would only sound right to us if you guys get something in return. "Just" providing the forum and some basic rumors doesn't really seem fair to me for 20 EUR per year. So we would need to offer more and this is where we actually have a problem. Also, the owner of the website and Rennteam "trademark", CR, would need to be in the boat with us on this one.

Yes, Porsche may be interested in a more exclusive community, we were thinking about that but what about the people who are just lurking around, not even owning a sports car? What about the many Porsche employees or employees of other car companies, how would they access this forum? Not easy. Charging 20 EUR for a forum which can be read by everyone kind of sounds steep to me. We could maybe show the thread titles only for unregistered users but even then, some people who actually enjoy reading this forum only, could be excluded.

Not easy.

I created a new thread regarding the future of Rennteam:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/post/20946561/How_to_shape_the_future_of_Rennteam/index.html

Let's continue in the new thread. Thank you. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bluelines:
    Pentium:

+1

+2

+1 : Would be money extremely well spent.

Unfortunately I think less than 5% of  registered members would pay anything...

SciFrog:

That's probably the amount of members who post anything anyway. Smiley

He he he....

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

SciFrog:

5% would be great but I don't think that more than 100-200 users would actually pay. Smiley

Like I said: The best solution would be someone with a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of money or one of the major players (Google, Facebook, etc.) to actually create a social network for sports car lovers. Well, car enthusiasts with lots of money usually spend it on different things than car forums and the major players like Google and Co. couldn't care less about a couple of thousands of sports car enthusiasts. Smiley

So in the end, we need to find a different solution and I just don't see it happen I'm afraid.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

m4ever:
    bluelines:
    Pentium:

+1

+2

+1 : Would be money extremely well spent.

+1

PS: I really think we should move this out of the Paul Walker thread. Kind of weird to be discussing such topic on a RIP thread. 

RC:

Wow, guys...this is so generous but this is exactly our problem: How can we charge for something and then not deliver? Taking money from our users would only sound right to us if you guys get something in return. "Just" providing the forum and some basic rumors doesn't really seem fair to me for 20 EUR per year. So we would need to offer more and this is where we actually have a problem. Also, the owner of the website and Rennteam "trademark", CR, would need to be in the boat with us on this one.

Yes, Porsche may be interested in a more exclusive community, we were thinking about that but what about the people who are just lurking around, not even owning a sports car? What about the many Porsche employees or employees of other car companies, how would they access this forum? Not easy. Charging 20 EUR for a forum which can be read by everyone kind of sounds steep to me. We could maybe show the thread titles only for unregistered users but even then, some people who actually enjoy reading this forum only, could be excluded.

Not easy.

I created a new thread regarding the future of Rennteam:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/post/20946561/How_to_shape_the_future_of_Rennteam/index.html

Let's continue in the new thread. Thank you. 

Where is the new thread located? OT? If so, I can't find it. That is where it should be.

No, it is in the RT Development section. One menu item down from Off-Topic.

--

The only Carrera GT in our country had the following problem. At 230 km/h the struts of the rear wing could not withstand the aerodynamic pressure and consequently the wing folded down. As a result the car suddenly became undriveable and dangerous with the rear getting into a pendulum situation. 

The owner experienced this loss of handling which was subsequently diagnosed by the OPC as emanating from the wing struts. With years they apparently lost their strength to stay up at high speeds.

I wonder if the Paul Walker accident could be related to a weakening of the rear wing support, too 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The only Carrera GT in our country had the following problem. At 230 km/h the struts of the rear wing could not withstand the aerodynamic pressure and consequently the wing folded down. As a result the car suddenly became undriveable and dangerous with the rear getting into a pendulum situation. 

The owner experienced this loss of handling which was subsequently diagnosed by the OPC as emanating from the wing struts. With years they apparently lost their strength to stay up at high speeds.

I wonder if the Paul Walker accident could be related to a weakening of the rear wing support, too 

The accident happened in a suburban street with a relatively low speed limit. Aerodynamics should not have played any part any part in it.

--

fritz

The quarter mile (402 meters) terminal speed for the CGT is 215 km/h. So even on a straight suburban road such speeds are feasible. Just 11 seconds.

just saying Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I would assume that Porsche would have easily found evidence of this if it were true.. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

reginos:

The quarter mile (402 meters) terminal speed for the CGT is 215 km/h. So even on a straight suburban road such speeds are feasible. Just 11 seconds.

just saying Smiley

My point was that if the car was travelling on speed-restricted suburban roads (in an industrial park, IIRC) at speeds at which its aerodynamics came into play (for instance, the 215 km/h you cite), then it is no basis for getting involved in unfounded speculation about a possible failure of the rear wing struts being the primary cause of the accident, just because another car of the same model has been found to suffer such a failure. 

--

fritz

Of course, what happened to another car cannot be conclusive for the PW accident. But if there is the possibility of the CGT rear wing struts being prone to premature wear and tear, this could be another possible cause to be investigated.

--

"Form follows function"

fritz:
    reginos:

just saying Smiley

My point was that if the car was travelling on speed-restricted suburban roads (in an industrial park, IIRC) at speeds at which its aerodynamics came into play (for instance, the 215 km/h you cite), then it is no basis for getting involved in unfounded speculation about a possible failure of the rear wing struts being the primary cause of the accident, just because another car of the same model has been found to suffer such a failure. 

+1

--

reginos:

just saying Smiley--

"Form follows function"

But, even if that car's spoiler struts failed, being long out of warranty… wouldn't the repair responsibility be the car's owner? I think so. 

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688803 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408812 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65426 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773557 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM