Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Turbo - Short Driving Report

Or maybe even just get a sweet wagon of some sort. Small SUVs make little sense to me. What's the point of having more room, but still not enough?

noone1:

Or maybe even just get a sweet wagon of some sort. Small SUVs make little sense to me. What's the point of having more room, but still not enough?

The Macan can hold a lot more than 2 suitcases. The boot is hardly any smaller than the one in the Q5. I've driven the Macan and owned an SQ5. Macan's boot is more than big enough for this type of vehicle, just like the space in the back seats. 

GLA is an A-class. Which is nothing more than a Golf-like hatchback. No comparison to a Macan!

if you need more luggage space, get a wagon indeed. Totally agree with you. A wagon is better in everything, compared to a SUV, except if you want to do off-roading, which no one really does with their SUVs. A wagon is more comfortable, more fuel economic, faster, better handling, look a lot better..... SUVs don't make sense anymore. At least not to me....
    The A6 Avant is the best daily driver I can imagine (except that the upcoming A4 Avant would have been even nicer, because it's smaller).

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

The Macan's real life luggage room is worse than in the Q5 because the Macan has that "curve" in the roof line. It may not look that way but there is a difference. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I went from a V8 X5 to a 530d wagon. Now back to SUV partly because I needed 7 seats (XC90) but also because I missed the elevated driving position. If the next Cayenne has 7 seat option, it'll be on my list but for now, I'm leaning towards a RR Sport. I can't ever see myself in the market for a Macan as it's just too compromised for me. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

The Q5's boot is rated at 540 liters with the rear seats up and the Macan's is slightly smaller at 500 liters. Not enough difference to render it useless; 500 is still decent space.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

rulesdontapply:

The Q5's boot is rated at 540 liters with the rear seats up and the Macan's is slightly smaller at 500 liters. Not enough difference to render it useless; 500 is still decent space.

rulesdontapply

The space isn't the problem. The real life usage is the issue here. We usually travel with luggage pieces, not soft bags. I am pretty sure that if you use soft travel bags instead of more sturdy luggage pieces, the Macan luggage room would be OK. Otherwise, two midsize luggage pieces fit and none more.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

The Macan's real life luggage room is worse than in the Q5 because the Macan has that "curve" in the roof line. It may not look that way but there is a difference. 

Have you ever load your car 's boot above the window line?? I didn't and I never would either.

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    RC:

Have you ever load your car 's boot above the window line?? I didn't and I never would either.

I think it is illegal to do so, as it obstructs rear view. Vans have special mirrors.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    SuzyF:
    RC:

I think it is illegal to do so, as it obstructs rear view. Vans have special mirrors.

Exactly!  That's why the lower roofline is not a valid point IMO. Smiley

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
     A wagon is better in everything, compared to a SUV, except if you want to do off-roading, which no one really does with their SUVs. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche  S (MT) | Basalt black metallic

That should read:  "...except if you want to do off-roading, which almost no one really does with their SUVs."

100_0721.jpg

reginos:
    SuzyF:
    RC:

I think we misunderstand each other.

First, it is not illegal (at least not in Germany) to load your car's boot above the window line if you have two exterior mirrors (actually an additional one on the right but most cars have two nowadays anyway).

Second, if I could transport a luggage piece sitting straight (not lying) in the Macan, I could fit three luggage pieces (like in the Q5 for example). Since the roof line is slightly curved, only two luggage pieces (lying) fit because I cannot fit them straight...because of the inclined roof line.

I hope I clarified my statement.

--

RC:
    reginos:
    SuzyF:
    RC:

I think we misunderstand each other.

First, it is not illegal (at least not in Germany) to load your car's boot above the window line if you have two exterior mirrors (actually an additional one on the right but most cars have two nowadays anyway).

Second, if I could transport a luggage piece sitting straight (not lying) in the Macan, I could fit three luggage pieces (like in the Q5 for example). Since the roof line is slightly curved, only two luggage pieces (lying) fit because I cannot fit them straight...because of the inclined roof line.

I hope I clarified my statement.

Okay... I get it Smiley 

But just curious... What luggage pieces are you using? I think I easily fit in one of them if they are that big! Haha.  

I could easily get 4 of our suitcases in my SQ5 with leaving the shelf (not sure that's the correct name) in place. In other words, that is below the roof line. I'm pretty convinced those same 4 suitcases will also fit in a Macan.

--

Suzy

GM Austin:
    SuzyF:
     A wagon is better in everything, compared to a SUV, except if you want to do off-roading, which no one really does with their SUVs. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche  S (MT) | Basalt black metallic

That should read:  "...except if you want to do off-roading, which almost no one really does with their SUVs."

You live in Texas... That doesn 't count! Is there tarmac in texas anyway?! Smiley

Just kidding of course. Smiley

You are right, but here in Europe I hardly ever see a SUV go off tarmac. And even with a wagon you gan go mildly off road... Smiley Take for example a Audi A6 Allroad. 

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

But just curious... What luggage pieces are you using? I think I easily fit in one of them if they are that big! Haha.  

I could easily get 4 of our suitcases in my SQ5 with leaving the shelf (not sure that's the correct name) in place. In other words, that is below the roof line. I'm pretty convinced those same 4 suitcases will also fit in a Macan.

Something like this...Samsonite Spinner (not the smallest, not the biggest...midsize).

trolley.jpg

--

I think the best is to check out what the Porsche Selection offer for each model and use luggage of the same sizes.

Porsche recommendation maximizes the available space.

--

"Form follows function"

Mmmm.... That's indeed not as big as I thought. We have hard-shell suitcases and always use 2 mid-size and 2 small ones (admittedly just for 2 people of course, since we don't have children) and they did fit perfectly, with room to spare.

--

Suzy

image.jpg

First day with my Macan S: the 340 hp in the Macan feels like a lot more power than the 340 hp in the Cayenne I just traded in.  Partly due to less weight I suppose, but also due to the transmission I think.  Whatever the reason, the Macan S feels very strong, enough for my passenger seat father-in-law to exclaim "WOW!" when I floored the accelerator leaving the dealership.  The car also feels more nimble in comparison to the Cayenne, as you would expect.  It subjectively feels lighter, more maneuverable, cornering sharper, less ponderous.  The interior is very nice.  I was pleasantly surprised with the Agate Grey.  I had originally planned Beige but my wife vetoed that.  The Agate Grey leather has a lot of brown in it so it has more of a chocolate tone than I had expected, which I like.  I haven't driven it much yet, basically just to the dealer and back a couple of times, but so far I am liking it, more so than I expected actually.  More later.

How do you find the quality of the interior vs the Cayenne?  

Too early to make a definitive judgement.   

How is the throttle response compared to the v8 in the cayenne s? Any lack at any RPM's?

Congratulations GM Austin ! It is always so exciting to get a new toy indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RS 991:

How is the throttle response compared to the v8 in the cayenne s? Any lack at any RPM's?

Again, too early to tell very much.  My 2004 Cayenne S always had a lag or hesitation in the throttle response, a characteristic that I have written about extensively here on Rennteam.  So far I have not detected anything like that in the Macan; throttle response has been smooth and progressive with no hesitation.

I understand, it seems like Porsche did a good job with the new engines when it comes to linear power distribution. Although, like RC reported, it may lack a bit in sound. 

Anyway, congratulations! 

kiss

RS 991:

...my observations regarding MacanS and CayenneS... Smiley

MacanS (V6 3.0L TT) "throttle response" itself at any RPM is good, progressive without any lag, the same as in a 2011-2014 CayenneS (V8 4.8L nonTT). This is better, than laggy throttle response in a 2003-2005 CayenneS.

...BUT...

MacanS has LESS power  "on tap" (power on demand) at any RPM or any hiway speed (0-100, 80-120, 80-160 km/h and etc.), for example for passing hiway maneuver,  than 2011-2014 CayenneS V8. And, of course, a little more, than 2003-2005 CayenneS V8.Smiley

...the same applies to MacanTT (V6 3.6 TT) vs. 2011-2014 CayenneTT (V8 4.8 TT). MacanTT delivers LESS power on demand at any RPM or any hiway speed (0-100, 80-120, 80-160 km/h and etc.), than current 2011-2014 CayenneTT.

RC felt this in his MacanTT test drive...as published in an original post. He described this feeling, as a lack of "turbo punch" in a MacanTT. It is simply a little lack of POWER available to you at any RPM and any speed.

I could not understand all of this described above reality check, because PORSCHE AG published MacanTT 0-100 km/h  to be very close (almost the same)  as CayenneTT and MacanS 0-100 km/h way better, than current 2014 CayenneS (and expected new 2015 CayenneS)... Until I've calculated power to weight for the corresponding vehicles:

MacanS vs 2014 CayenneS,

MacanTT vs 2014 CayenneTT.

...that's where Macan looses a little vs current V8 Cayenne...Smiley ...I suspect Macan starts to loose more on higher speeds 0-200 km/h, 100-250 km/h...

BUT again, PORSCHE AG performes marketting "maneuver" and strips all of us of V8 in a new 2015 CayenneS and we'll need to reconfirm/reevaluate all I've just listed above for a new CayenneS (V6 3.6TT)...time will show the truth...

Smiley

Thanks for your post. 

I guess the difference between the cayenne S models relates to an (better) ecu mapping of the new cayenne S.

Well the macan models benefit from the PDK with its launch control mode for the better 0-100 time...

The macan turbo S should recieve at least +50 hp and 50 Nm to be a bargain over the cayenne TT, performance wise.    But for the GTS model it will be quite difficult if they spec up just the 3.0 v6 of the macan S. I would like to see a natural aspirated engine which can deliver more emotions, but then with 400 hp...   With less torque and a much sporty setup it wouldn't be really a macan TT competitor.       wink

RS 991:
    Thanks for your post. 

I guess the difference between the cayenne S models relates to an (better) ecu mapping of the new cayenne S.

Well the macan models benefit from the PDK with its launch control mode for the better 0-100 time...

The macan turbo S should recieve at least +50 hp and 50 Nm to be a bargain over the cayenne TT, performance wise.    But for the GTS model it will be quite difficult if they spec up just the 3.0 v6 of the macan S. I would like to see a natural aspirated engine which can deliver more emotions, but then with 400 hp...   With less torque and a much sporty setup it wouldn't be really a macan TT competitor.       wink

I would love to see the current Cayenne GTS V8 engine in the Macan GTS, even with less power (360-370 hp would be just fine for such a car) Not going to happen though. 

Also, with the new V6 biturbo, the Cayenne S facelift will suck for sure. I'm not a fan of this engine. It works quite "linear" but it lacks the power punch of the V8 Turbo and the sound of the V8. If Porsche could manage to make this engine less boring (sound, acceleration, whatever), it would be a great achievement.

--

Raising up the RPM's would be a possibility to make the engine more emotional, even if it needs a lot more engineering to do so. They did the same with the 991 turbo/ turbo S. That would at least justify the higher price of a Macan TTS, than just a different ecu mapping. But it seems difficult to me to give the Macan GTS its own personality... An another possibility is to play with boost and overboost functions, which is more likely I guess.  wink

RS 991:

Raising up the RPM's would be a possibility to make the engine more emotional, even if it needs a lot more engineering to do so. They did the same with the 991 turbo/ turbo S. That would at least justify the higher price of a Macan TTS, than just a different ecu mapping. But it seems difficult to me to give the Macan GTS its own personality... An another possibility is to play with boost and overboost functions, which is more likely I guess.  wink

The 991 Turbo S doesn't sound better than the 997 Turbo S because they simply raised the rpm. Smiley

Still...compare a 991 Turbo S to a Ferrari or Lamborghini and the emotional part isn't even close.

I think Porsche is becoming more and more a mass producer and they are getting closer and closer to become a second BMW or Audi. Not really my cup of tea. Yes, I supported the introduction of the Cayenne and even the Panamera but I always said that with such non-typical Porsche models, Porsche needs to offer the world's best performance in it's class. It worked at the beginning (Cayenne Turbo/S) but now the competition got stronger and stronger. 

Yes, I get it...the Macan is supposed to be a mass production car for a broader customer audience but this doesn't mean Porsche cannot add one or two emotional and very special Macan models to the model range. So far, the Macan Turbo just doesn't cut it and I just hope that Porsche is aware of it and will correct this. If they put a Macan Turbo S on the market with 30 hp more and some shiny wheels Smiley, this just isn't enough. Same goes to the Macan GTS: A sportier setup won't cut it, there needs to be a proper sound and something special about this car too.

--

That's right, Porsche should concentrate more on emotiions. It shouldn't be that difficult to get a nicer sound of this engines...Smiley A proper sports exhaust should do it, maybe with an additional even more aggressive mode, just like the sport and sport plus mode. 

I think they've got enough mass production models to make a high profit of them. I'm glad they have them, so they can spend more into the development of pure sports cars. I would love to see the 960, also for the image of the brand.Smiley

As you said, hopefully Porsche is aware of the lack of emotions and will improve the Macan. But it's their first experience with the macan, therefore Porsche will get a lot of feedback, on which they can build up.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690586 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409824 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256060 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4699 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858507 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774771 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM