Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

reginos:
    RC:
    nberry:

There is one safety device Porsche should have installed on the car and we all know what that is.

PSM (or better known as ESP) wasn't a "common" feature in sports cars by the time the CGT was presented, so why should they (Porsche) have installed it?

Nowadays, it would be much more difficult to put a car without ESP on the market, simply because a lawsuit would be waiting to happen. They (lawyers) could always argue that ESP is a "common" feature on similar products.

PSM was introduced on the 996 Carrera 4 in MY1999 and became an option across the range as from MY2000. I had ordered my 986S with PSM.

IMO the CGT that was produced as from 2004 should have it as standard in view of the availability of technology, the price of the car and the huge engine power. And this irrespective of the famous accident.

However, ESP/ASR/PSM or whatever acronym became a legal requirement very much later in 2011.

Exactly. For a manufacturer like Porsche it would have been no problem at all to equip the Carrera GT with ESP, at least as an option. I guess it was simply out of marketing reasons why they didn't offer it. Just if they wanted to show their customers "look, this is a CGT, this is a real hardcore sportscar without flappy paddel gearbox and without unnecessary electronic gizmos". This was totally wrong. IMO the biggest flaw of the the CGT is the missing ESP.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

FWIW, I attending the first Porsche driving school at Road Atlanta in I believe 2000. The Porsche's were equipped with PSM. I recall I was taking a turn in excess of 90mph and in doing so unbalanced the car which could have led to a serious accident. However, the ESP intervened and steadied the car and allowed me to make the necessary maneuvers to save myself from a foolish mistake.

As I have written so often, a CGT would have been in my garage if it was equipped with PSM. It is a fantastic car.

My '99 996 was #564 off the assembly line and it did not have PSM or fly by wire throttle (two are together).  All it had was ABS and almost always BALD all-season tires.  It was a hoot to drive! 

These guys were good drivers.  I am not willing to say the suspension did not break or that a coolant line had not come loose.  I certainly know what the coolant line failure is like as it happened to me in the 997TT on a treacherous two lane Ozark road, in the dark at about 70mph - in the rain - just a few months ago.  The rain saved my bacon because I was not going as quickly as I would have been in the dry.  PSM never intervened because it did not get to that point.

I would be very interested to see the 'other' crash report which shows much lower speeds.  FWIW - even if the car failed - shit happens - I don't think anyone should be sued.  Like Nick said - this is about the insurance companies covering their asses.  High profile case with high net worth individuals always draws a crowd of lawyers.

There is no question that PSM can be very helpful in such situations, but it is still acting within the laws of physics and input from the driver. 

However, I find the discussion on PSM or not in this specific case irrelevant. The driver acted carelessly, exceeded the speed limit and it ended in an accident. It was not PSM missing, it was responsibility.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Rossi:
    reginos:
    RC:
    nberry:

There is one safety device Porsche should have installed on the car and we all know what that is.

PSM (or better known as ESP) wasn't a "common" feature in sports cars by the time the CGT was presented, so why should they (Porsche) have installed it?

Nowadays, it would be much more difficult to put a car without ESP on the market, simply because a lawsuit would be waiting to happen. They (lawyers) could always argue that ESP is a "common" feature on similar products.

PSM was introduced on the 996 Carrera 4 in MY1999 and became an option across the range as from MY2000. I had ordered my 986S with PSM.

IMO the CGT that was produced as from 2004 should have it as standard in view of the availability of technology, the price of the car and the huge engine power. And this irrespective of the famous accident.

However, ESP/ASR/PSM or whatever acronym became a legal requirement very much later in 2011.

Exactly. For a manufacturer like Porsche it would have been no problem at all to equip the Carrera GT with ESP, at least as an option. I guess it was simply out of marketing reasons why they didn't offer it. Just if they wanted to show their customers "look, this is a CGT, this is a real hardcore sportscar without flappy paddel gearbox and without unnecessary electronic gizmos". This was totally wrong. IMO the biggest flaw of the the CGT is the missing ESP.

That could be part of the reason but I'm not so sure that is all the reason behind it, the 996 of the time had PSM but it was not yet compatible with a rear differential, that is why the early 996 Carrera2's  you could option either PSM or rear diff but not both, and in the C4's the PSM was standard so you could not get the rear diff at all.

That made for less sporty handling dynamics since those PSM Carreras has open diffs and a ABD (Automatic Brake Differential) inlcuded in the PSM system, a crude electronic substitute of a real mecahnical diff that used ABS to correct slip and was not very sporty.

This was probably not a solution fit for a supercar like the Carrera GT, in fact even the GT3/GT2's of the time did not have PSM either for the same reason.

It was only till the 996 Carrera Coupe 40th anniversary edition in 2003 that for the first time Porsche managed to marry a rear differential with PSM although a less agressive rear differential setup at that, still probably not accepatble for a Carrera GT that was already presented that same year.

It wasn't until the 997 model that GT3/GT2's got a PSM/Rear diff that was fit for their sportive character.

I personally think that that was more the problem with PSM and the Carrera GT, and that it would have probably been developed with it if had it been developed a couple of years later than it did.

--

bridggar:

Not even as an investment? Can't help thinking they are due a stratospheric adjustment soon. In the UK, 993 TT pricing is just stupid. CGT Pool is drying up and everyone loves a bad-boy.....

Here too. 997TT can be had for less than a 993 Turbo. CGTs are about 375k USD and up.

JoeRockhead:
    bridggar:

Not even as an investment? Can't help thinking they are due a stratospheric adjustment soon. In the UK, 993 TT pricing is just stupid. CGT Pool is drying up and everyone loves a bad-boy.....

Here too. 997TT can be had for less than a 993 Turbo. CGTs are about 375k USD and up.

Paint to Sample CGT are worth 600 - 700 K USD already today .

they were well Aware of what they were driving: a handfull of a car....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

nberry:

FWIW, I attending the first Porsche driving school at Road Atlanta in I believe 2000. The Porsche's were equipped with PSM. I recall I was taking a turn in excess of 90mph and in doing so unbalanced the car which could have led to a serious accident. However, the ESP intervened and steadied the car and allowed me to make the necessary maneuvers to save myself from a foolish mistake.

As I have written so often, a CGT would have been in my garage if it was equipped with PSM. It is a fantastic car.

PSM/ESP was not a common feature on super sports cars when the CGT was introduced, I was not talking about Porsche cars. Porsche would have risked not to sell a single CGT with PSM/ESP. Look at the idiotic GT3 and PDK discussion and you'll understand. I also remember how many people were opposed to introducing PSM on the GT3 a while ago.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Ferrari had it on the 612 at the same time. No excuses really...

"Look at the idiotic GT3 and PDK discussion"

totally uncalled for RC.    do you really want to insult people or further intelligent discussion?  Wanting to shift a sport car is now idiotic?  Billiant stance for a sports car forum. Ever wonder why some people just walk away from this forum and never post again?  Cheers...

SciFrog:

The Ferrari 612 is a GT and not really what someone would call a super sports car like the CGT. What about the other Ferrari models? Lamborghini? Aston Martin? Maserati? Most manufacturers in North America, like Toyota or Ford, introduced ESP in their cars starting 2009, even if some single models had it many years earlier. I'd say that ESP became a "common" feature around 2008/2009 on most cars.

Also, in the US, ESP became mandatory (as far as I know) starting 2012. So please...there is no excuse to use this as an excuse that the CGT should have had ESP. 

Last but not least, ESP cannot defy physics. In the case of Paul Walker an Mr. Rodas, excessive speed would have had the same outcome with EPS onboard. Especially since someone like Rodas would have turned off the ESP (or switched to a sportier mode) anyway. I drive around in Sport or Sport Plus mode most of the time and I'm not a professional race car driver like Rodas. Just saying.

The whole ESP discussion is just utter nonsense, considering the fact why the accident happened in the first place: Excessive speed. There is no denying that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Leawood911:

"Look at the idiotic GT3 and PDK discussion"

totally uncalled for RC.    do you really want to insult people or further intelligent discussion?  Wanting to shift a sport car is now idiotic?  Billiant stance for a sports car forum. Ever wonder why some people just walk away from this forum and never post again?  Cheers...

The desire of single individuals to have a manual transmission on the GT3 is not idiotic but the whole discussion we (and others) had was pretty much idiotic, with a few exceptions. The same arguments over and over again without any consequences to the final product or a change in mentality. Not that it was unexpected. Smiley

Also, don't worry, I am going to be the first to walk away from this forum because lately, I really don't see the point to feed the lions anymore. Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I would rather compare the CGT to the contemporary ENZO that did not have too the ESP.  

m4ever:
    SciFrog:

I would rather compare the CGT to the contemporary ENZO that did not have too the ESP.  

Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

RC:

Also, don't worry, I am going to be the first to walk away from this forum because lately, I really don't see the point to feed the lions anymore. Smiley

You have mentioned this twice in the last weeks . So, what is your plan ? Are you really thinking about quitting RT ? 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

blueflame:
    m4ever:
    SciFrog:

Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

AFAIK the Enzo did have ESP. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    blueflame:
    m4ever:
    SciFrog:

Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

AFAIK the Enzo did have ESP. Smiley

Let´s ask Futch or MikeS ?? Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

asr-button_a_s.jpg

ENZO steering wheel, ASR OFF

Is it a proper ASR or just Traction Control?

I think it is the former, as contemporary tests mentioned selecting the NO ASR mode for track driving.

--

"Form follows function"

Imho the Ferrari ESP was called CST (controllo stabilita') and appeared first on the 612/430 but not on the Enzo. 

I think you are correct. It says CST on my steering wheel...

Gnil:
    RC:

You have mentioned this twice in the last weeks . So, what is your plan ? Are you really thinking about quitting RT

Yes. 

--

RC:

You have mentioned this twice in the last weeks . So, what is your plan ? Are you really thinking about quitting RT

Yes. 

How come ? 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC 'I really don't see the point to feed the lions anymore' Smiley

Rennteam without RC would be like Porsche without the 911. Hope will not happen.

RC has to make his points but sometimes he has more info than us. So there is no "discussion"... I can see that being frustrating at times.

m4ever:

Rennteam without RC would be like Porsche without the 911. Hope will not happen.

Well said!Smiley

RC:
    Gnil:
    RC:

Yes. 

Hope you reconsider or maybe just a short break to recharge your energy?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

When Rennteam changed soft wear a few years back, there was big planes to become a major ''social'' car community crossing into different languages . 

Today no one is really looking after the soft wear  ( Eunice dit it for a few years, but I understand that the owner now does not put much time and thoughts into this forum anymore ) . 

As on any forums, there will always be people '' attacking'' or dismissing or contradicting . RC having his strong personality , and often not wanting to let go , has probably slowly worn him out a bit . 

Porsche not bringing out very exciting ( except 918 ) products must also contribute to less passion .

RC, maybe taking one step back would be enough to '' recharge your energy ''  and interest in this forum  

You have fed very valuable informations over the years to RT , I am sure 95 % of the users appreciate . Don't let the 5% spoil it .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

+1

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM