Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

This could actually be the first Mercedes in ages that I like. Curious about it....

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Since I know almost everything about it... It will be epic.

I just hope they don't mess up the front of the car. That's the main part that i didn't like about almost every modern Mercedes. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

KresoF1:

Since I know almost everything about it... It will be epic.

I think so too, but sad to see Benz resort to electric steering like the other German companies (they were the last hold-out).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

This is a very nice shape. Very promising teaser of this new car. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The shape looks a bit homely. Why don't they just hire some one from the David Brown family to manage the visuals and stop building such ugly coupes.

I small another sales flop coming. Nice shapes don't sell such expensive cars.

Mercedes needs to buy AM already and just stick the AMG bits inside. AM is what a high-end AMG should be, an SLS or this thing.

If it gets the interior disco lights of the S class, mitteleuropa will think its cool no matter how frumpy it actually looks.

noone1:

Mercedes needs to buy AM already and just stick the AMG bits inside. AM is what a high-end AMG should be, an SLS or this thing.

SLS AMG was very far from been a sale flop. New AMG GT is an excellent and very, very capable front engine true sportscar.

BTW, why are you posting on this thread? We all here already know from your previous posts in various threads that you only like McLaren MP4-12C, 650S and NSX concept. Why poising every thread with negativity, even if it is your personal view?

JimFlat6:

If it gets the interior disco lights of the S class, mitteleuropa will think its cool no matter how frumpy it actually looks.

Interior is shown and it looks great IMHO. 

I don't know where to begin, but with such a expensive price tag a C class like nav screen install looks cheap.

And why is AMG Mercedes so stuck on a front engine sports car design? Smiley  Do they not get free calenders at work?

The GT seems like just another expensive "yesterday" car shaped with very little cleverness. Look at the length of the nose versus roof line height and the rear window angle. The ratios are not too pretty. In fact it looks like three different cars on one chassis. Even they have to know its not pretty.

JimFlat6:

Why is Mercedes so stuck on a front engine sports car design? The GT seems like just another expensive "yesterday" car.  Mercedes people have been quoted as bragging that its better than the Jag V8 coupe. That it isn't much of a benchmark.

It's all marketing. Allusion to the 50s models like the SLR, Uhlenhaut, SL and differentiating from the Audi very successful mid-engined platform.

The 50s models look wonderful in a museum but I find this "very long bonnet and short rear style" very passé. as well as inconvenient on tight roads and in the city. Unfortunately,  It has become a Mercedes trademark since the McLaren models and it carries on.

How can I criticize the Mercedes style as out of date when I am a 911 fan?  Porsche have an uninterrupted line of evolving the shape, whilst Mercedes have resurrected something old due to lack of imagination, perhaps. My compliments to Audi for daring the R8 instead of an Auto Union 1930s clone.

What is certain is that the AMG GT will be a very well engineered product which will keep M-B fans and some others happy. If Mercedes compare this car to Jaguar, this lowers their self esteem IMO.

We await to see and learn more.

--

"Form follows function"

Sorry to say this but, R8 is product based on Gallardo(or Huracan for new model) platform. Ausi was not brave they aimply use platform that was already available. I am Audi fan but, here we need to get the fact right.

As I wrote before AMG GT will be an amazing front engine sportscar and it will better almost all of its competitors in drive dynamics.
    Strong words you might say but, after first real tests you will see the outcome.

KresoF1:
    noone1:

SLS AMG was very far from been a sale flop. New AMG GT is an excellent and very, very capable front engine true sportscar.

BTW, why are you posting on this thread? We all here already know from your previous posts in various threads that you only like McLaren MP4-12C, 650S and NSX concept. Why poising every thread with negativity, even if it is your personal view?

You can add P13 to that list tentatively heh. But anyway, I'm still interested in all cars. Just because I think it will be boring looking doesn't mean I'm not interested to see the rest of the details and such.

That said, SLS was only on sale for like 4 years. Seems odd they discontinue it so quickly if it was selling well.

The R8 was based on the Gallardo, and then the Huracan based on the R8 CF prototypes I think. A bit from each I'm sure. That said, the car was unique looking compared to everything else IMO. AMG SLS still looked like a generic Mercedes IMO. I think this will suffer the same fate.

That said, it doesn't matter to me if the engine is in the front. It just so happens that those cars tend to look cooler. It's been proven though that you can put it just about anywhere. GTR, ZR1, GT2 RS -- none rear-mid engine but still some of the highest performance. In fact, I think you might find that under $500K, rear mid-engine cars haven't been the best for a while now.

Even in racing you'll find that any engine layout is competitive.

Performance these days is cheap and easy to come by. More than ever, design is what sells cars. I'll reserve final  judgement till it's finished, but the mules of this AMG GT have been anything but exciting looking. I understand that it's supposed to be a high-end sports car and not a low-end exotic car, but I don't think it's a good way to sell such expensive cars.

KresoF1:
    Sorry to say this but, R8 is product based on Gallardo(or Huracan for new model) platform. Ausi was not brave they aimply use platform that was already available. I am Audi fan but, here we need to get the fact right.

As I wrote before AMG GT will be an amazing front engine sportscar and it will better almost all of its competitors in drive dynamics.
    Strong words you might say but, after first real tests you will see the outcome.

The Huracan's rolling chassis is an innovative carbon-aluminium developed by Audi. The benefits of carbon rigidity and aluminium low weight at a less costly package. Carbon where it is necessary and alu at other points. Also the different materials are can be bonded, riveted or screwed together depending on the exact location.

The same technology will be used by the new R8 and I presume the new Porsche.

I watched the Huracan presentation by the Lamborghini Technical Director on video, who praised the Audi chassis technology and I was excited by this Audi innovation.

Will the new AMG GT be better than the more limited edition SLS, which was good but not the most memorable? Will it be another one in the long series of proclaimed "Porsche killers"? We don't know yet. We'll see in the coming months.

Mercedes AMG do things in a different way to Porsche. They love very large engines and huge HP. Porsche like efficiency, getting more from less. Different approaches.

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:

Cannot wait ! kiss

the giant door mirrors ruin it.

the shape is reminiscent of the SLS, which is a good thing.

Porsche should be very prudent with cars like this AMG GT, if the rumors are true. The 'gap' between the 911 and it's competitors (in the broad sense: F-type, AMG GT, i8,...) has not been so small since ages. 

It still amuses me that people compare the f-type with a 911. A Boxster, yes - but not a 911. I still can't see myself in a Mercedes but if it's a 2+2 I'll reserve judgement until I drive it. If it's just a 2 seater? well......

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

I thought it was definitely a two seater. No one has suggested 2+2.

The 2 seats is a minus IMO for a front engined car. If it was mid-engined I would have accepted this sacrifice.

i wonder why Mercedes want to stick to this 1950s configuration and look instead of going mid engined supersports for their top model. Now with their F1 successful connection they could have put the engine where it should be.

--

"Form follows function"

Again,  I respectfully disagree with you. 

Where is the engine in F12? AMG GT use the same layout-mid front engine and rear gearbox. Also, did you drove SLS AMG? It is IMHO together with F12 the best front engine sportscar of all times. It wiped the floor with 991S on wet handling test on Supertest (was about 8s faster on street Conti tyres). What do you think is the reason for disclusion of wet handling test in Sport Auto Supertest? Poor performing latest Porsche models... 

Why is Porsche insisting on Cups like tires on latest track tests? Because on street tires results are not competitive enough. Yes, truth can be rough sometimes even for big Porsche fans.

In short-test drive F12 or SLS AMG.  Only then you will be able to appreciate drive dynamics of truly great front engine sportscar.  Even if you like full rear a la 911 layout more.

Aren't all top cars in the world mid engined? Why should we argue about which is the best sports car configuration.

Porsche have this unorthodox rear engine configuration because of a tradition that still sells, but their recent top cars have also been with the engine in the middle. I hope they bring a proper ME car sooner than later when the 960 materializes.

My opinion is that Mercedes AMG should have come up with ME instead of front engine particularly since they only offer two seats. Following the SLR failure McLaren moved the correct way. Why not AMG?

Ferrari have a front engine tradition hence the F12 but most of their celebrated models have been ME in the last 30-40 years.

Anyway it is just an opinion as I would like to see a ME Mercedes.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Aren't all top cars in the world mid engined? Why should we argue about which is the best sports car configuration.

Porsche have this unorthodox rear engine configuration because of a tradition that still sells, but their recent top cars have also been with the engine in the middle. I hope they bring a proper ME car sooner than later when the 960 materializes.

My opinion is that Mercedes AMG should have come up with ME instead of front engine particularly since they only offer two seats. Following the SLR failure McLaren moved the correct way. Why not AMG?

Ferrari have a front engine tradition hence the F12 but most of their celebrated models have been ME in the last 30-40 years.

Anyway it is just an opinion as I would like to see a ME Mercedes.

I am with you on this one. It is an exciting car but it feels like another iteration of SLR and SLS. Mid-engined would have been a completely different story...

I am sure the GT is a great car, but hmm... 

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

There are tons of practical reasons why is mid engine layout a true nightmare for service duties.  But, that is not important for drive dynamics. So, you did not drive F12 or SLS AMG but, you are describing their layout as deficient? Uh...

To think that only mid engine is a proper layout for a true sportscar is well, let's say it pretty subjective view.

Since I can tell you that Corvette C7, F12 and AMG GT are great front engine sportscars. And they are all at different price level so potential costumer interested in front engine sportscar can choose.

I did not describe it as deficient, rather less exciting. But that is purely from layout and without having driven an MB SLR or SLS (I am simply comparing the cars I have driven which have mid or front engine layout).

Although it is a rather academic discussion whether a mid engined car with the engine in the rear of the passenger compartment is better or worse than a mid engined car with the engine in the front of the passenger compartment is better or worse. The GT is mid engined. So was the SLS. That is why they have the longest bonnet in the world and the passengers are sitting on top of the rear axle...

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

KresoF1:

To think that only mid engine is a proper layout for a true sportscar is well, let's say it pretty subjective view.

I thought this question was answered long ago in 1958 when Formula One switched from front engined to mid engined.

This doesn't mean that for the road a front (or rather a front-mid) engined sports car cannot be very good or excellent  But all the brilliant super sportcars have always been rear-ME in the last 30-40 years. I think that front engine fits in if a 2+2 is required, and the space limitation of ME has to be avoided.

Anyway I am not knocking any of your favourite cars. Just my personal configuration preference when the car has two seats.

--

"Form follows function"

I think the F-Type Coupe, the AMV8 and the rest of the Aston family, the SLS and now this one show there is a market for 2 seater, front engined sports cars.

To say there aren't owners of these that picked them OVER a 911 is absolutely ludicrous. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Other things being equal (same brand, same engine size and output, same price) would a 2 seater front engined be chosen over a mid engined one? I doubt it.

Even magnificent F12 the epitome of this configuration, would have been obscured by an imaginary ME V12 Ferrari , selling at the same price.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688180 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408550 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255478 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234694 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65331 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857448 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773135 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM