Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Macan Turbo - Short Driving Report

When I heard about the Macan for the first time, the idea of a smaller SUV from Porsche actually sounded like a good idea. The Cayenne is still heavy and the most powerful versions have become almost too expensive, with the Cayenne Turbo S topping the model range. The Macan I test-drove isn't really a bargain at over 100k EUR but the car was equipped with all the goodies, including full leather and Burmester, so don't be surprised.

I don't want to bore you with little details or an extensive photo gallery, so many things have already been said, so I'm cutting it down to the chase.

POSITIVE

- Sportiest SUV on the planet in my opinion. I drove many different SUVs over the past couple of years, incl. the latest Cayenne Turbo S and the Cayenne GTS and I have to say that the Macan Turbo is the closest you can get to a 911 in a SUV. Amazing steering and suspension setup, only thing I would add is PDCC because there is some noticeable body roll in fast curves, even if there is basically no understeer and the car feels and drives razor sharp.

- PDK shifts fast, especially on downshifts.

- Quality impression is very good, though not quite as good as on the Cayenne (not much difference though).

- Very good brake system with good feel.

- Very good throttle response (Sport mode)

- Very direct and sharp steering feel, almost 911-like with a bit more "lightness" (the steering on my 991 Turbo S and Boxster S feels "firmer") in it, probably due to a stronger power steering involvement (I guess).

- Engine has practically no turbo lag and feels powerful.

- Very stable at higher speeds (over 240 kph), car feels rocksolid.

- Interior noise at higher speeds acceptable (you can still talk to your passengers at over 240 kph).

- Very good stability/feel in curves and sharp turns, practically no understeer and the rear comes nicely if you provoke it (in Sport mode or if you turn off PSM). For a SUV, the limit is very high, very impressive.

- Weight of the car can be barely felt during driving, the car feels more like 1600-1700 kg weight, not 2 tons.

- Burmester system sounds very nice (must have) but is at the limit of what I would accept as a good HiFi system in a car.

NEGATIVE

- Lower seating position (compared to the Cayenne or other SUVs), the Macan seating position doesn't provide the feel of a SUV (which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it). 

- Worst sounding 400 hp engine I ever heard in my entire life. In the interior, even with the window cracked open, you don't hear much of the engine either. On the outside it is a bit better at idle only, just imagine the 991 Turbo S engine sound but with a felt 50% less volume. A shame for a Porsche. 

- Brake system is great but brake pedal operation/sensitivity may be a bit too aggressive for regular drivers.

- Throttle response (in Sport mode) is great but has a bit of an artificial feel too it, it should be more linear.

- Manual PDK upshifts could be faster at lower rpm figures.

- Steering wheel looks amazing (918-style) but could be a little bit thicker.

- Luggage room not really great, in real life situations, it fits two mid sized luggage pieces only.

- Passenger room in the rear is limited, kids may be happy in the rear, adults (or adolescents) very likely not.

- Very linear boost of the engine kind of gives the feeling of being underpowered, there is no turbo punch you would expect from a 400 hp car.

- Surprisingly high fuel consumption at higher speeds, I expected a lot but didn't expect Cayenne Turbo/S territory.

- Burmester HiFi system sounds nice but you wouldn't want anything less, which renders the BOSE kind of useless. I start to get the feeling that the BOSE system is only a basic system. I won't even start with the really basic sound system.

- Some noticeable body roll in sharp curves.

VERDICT

Amazing small SUV, very sportscar-like drive and steering feel but overall, maybe not what I expected. There is no emotion coming from this car, nothing at all. The engine performs without any spectacular noise or habit and after driving the Macan Turbo for half an hour, boredom sat in. Unless of course I hit some nice curves to play with, something the Macan Turbo is really made for. The chassis and steering setup are remarkable, so is the AWD setup with practically no understeer and oversteer capabilities.

The fuel consumption at higher speeds, I wasn't even able to drive at top speed, was very shocking to say at least. Even at lower speeds, the fuel consumption barely dropped below 19 liters / 100 km. Quite weird. Yes, I was driving in Sport mode all the time but not really that fast.

I was also very surprised how bad the engine sounds from the interior. In a Cayenne Turbo, at least you get a taste of a V8 sound but in the Macan Turbo, you get...nothing. How is that possible? How can Porsche actually allow this car to carry the name Porsche? I am very very disappointed. In the exhaust sound department, Porsche really has to start to overthink their strategy because the typical "turbo engine" excuse just doesn't work with me anymore. How do other manufacturers do that? Exactly my point.

Performance-wise, the 400 hp engine may look great on paper but in reality, the 400 horses have to move a 2 ton car. You cannot feel the weight of the Macan, this is something Porsche did really great but you can feel the...lack of power. The power output and delivery of the 400 hp engine is very linear, there is no turbo punch. This is why the car feels underpowered at times and yes, I am serious about it. The engine on the test car wasn't lacking power (1.2 max boost pressure) but it just worked. It is the perfection of the power delivery which may actually be the biggest problem here.

Overall, I liked the Macan Turbo. However, I would never ever get a less powerful version. On the contrary, I just hope that Porsche will offer at least 40 hp more in the rumored Turbo S because this is probably the minimum amount of power needed not to feel underpowered in this car.

The Macan reminds me a lot of the Boxster, very refined and fun to drive but not really what I expected from Porsche. Yes, the Macan is a very good SUV, no doubt about it but it lacks any emotions. How often will you drive your Macan Turbo to the track? Get my point? The track is probably the only place you will actually enjoy driving this SUV, as weird as this may sound to many of you.

If you are looking for a small SUV to complement your sports car, the Macan Turbo could be the right choice...for a lot of money. Yes, the Cayenne Turbo (or even the GTS) are much more expensive and less sporty than the Macan Turbo but to be honest, they provide more emotions (V8 engine) and of course more interior and luggage room. 

So why would someone buy a Macan Turbo? Well, good question. I would get one because the Cayenne Turbo is much more expensive. For me, this is the only reason I would get a Macan Turbo over the Cayenne Turbo.

I am sorry if some of you expected a more positive review of the Macan Turbo but this is how I see this car. I didn't like the first Cayenne too much either, so my opinion can change over time. If Porsche decides to add some emotions to the Macan. Right now, the only good thing about it is the steering and chassis setup and maybe, maybe the price tag. if this is enough for you, go for it, you will be happy.

mactacho.jpg

macboost.jpg

macfuel.jpg

machinten.jpg

mackoffer.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Re: Short Macan Turbo Review

Great review, RC; thank you.

I drove a Macan S on a similar test drive not too long ago and came away feeling a little underwhelmed by the overall experience as well. While most of my feedback was positive and I love the car, I feel that I'd only get it because the more uprated versions of the Cayenne are too expensive and the Macan would afford the added utility that a Boxster/Cayman/911 or even a Panamera wouldn't; heck, even with the Macan's boot being barely 60L larger than a Panamera's, the Macan feels more like a taller Panamera than anything. My biggest issue by far was the sound the car made, or better yet, the total lack thereof - sounded airy, whiny and a bit vacuum cleaner-like for my liking and not at all what I expected from a Porsche. Not sure what or how the upcoming sports exhaust will remedy this other than being an expensive option to have your Porsche sound like one.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I drove the Diesel S Macan and many of my impressions coincide with RC's.

One area for improvement on the Diesel (air suspension) is too much body roll. It needs the PDCC system asap. I don't know if the Turbo is any different.

Many Porsche owners find the Macan underwhelming because they are used to sportscars. Similarly, I liked the car but it didn't leave me crazy about it. However, many friends who drive ordinary cars like BMW, Mercedes etc. were very impressed by its dynamics.

Another remark is that this is basically a small family car for traveling and doing daily routines. Consequently, things like aggressive sound and too much involvement might be entertaining for a short drive but they ultimately detract from the car's purpose. A car in this class should not be fun for one hour but it should be livable and relaxing 24/7 and all year round.

Would I buy one? I am not sure if it would serve me more than an Audi. I doubt it, really.  For me the main reason to buy a Macan would be my long-lasting liking of the marque. In the same way that I might consider buying a Porsche bicycle!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

A car in this class should not be fun for one hour but it should be livable and relaxing 24/7 and all year round.

If this is what someone is looking for, the Macan Turbo should do just fine (or any other Macan for that matter). The question would be however if it needs to be a Porsche then because a cheaper Audi or BMW would do the same (or a similar) job at a lower cost.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thank you for the review RC.

people shouldn't get in a Macan Turbo and expect it to drive like a sports car. it's just a (heavy) sporty SUV.  so we should compare apples with apples.  eg, Audi Q5/X3/Evoques.

and if that's the case it starts to look a lot better.

and a sports exhaust option is coming.

I, for instance, is considering the Macan Turbo as a replacement for my 997.2 GT3.  yes, sounds stupid, but having children means my GT3 is nothing but a garage queen at the moment.  so Macan turbo is for someone like me, who still has some loyalty to the Porsche brands, and who thinks the Cayenne GTS/Panamera GTS are too big and too expensive.

of course, there are other choices such as the F80 M3....

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

Go and get F80 M3. Whilst i love the Macan Turbo as a daily driver it lacks the fun and as RC stated gets boring soon. I think about getting next year the (new) RS3 Sportback as daily.

RC:
    reginos:

A car in this class should not be fun for one hour but it should be livable and relaxing 24/7 and all year round.

If this is what someone is looking for, the Macan Turbo should do just fine (or any other Macan for that matter). The question would be however if it needs to be a Porsche then because a cheaper Audi or BMW would do the same (or a similar) job at a lower cost.

It is more dynamic than Audi or BMW, but not a SUV-cum-Sportscar all in one.

My understanding, is that most people will buy it over BMW/Audi/Evoque, 85-90% for the name and only 10-15% for the extra handling.

Also, people who drive small SUVs are not in their majority sporty drivers or if they are they also have a proper sportscar in the garage.

--

"Form follows function"

derder:

Thank you for the review RC.

people shouldn't get in a Macan Turbo and expect it to drive like a sports car. it's just a (heavy) sporty SUV.  so we should compare apples with apples.  eg, Audi Q5/X3/Evoques.

and if that's the case it starts to look a lot better.

and a sports exhaust option is coming.

I, for instance, is considering the Macan Turbo as a replacement for my 997.2 GT3.  yes, sounds stupid, but having children means my GT3 is nothing but a garage queen at the moment.  so Macan turbo is for someone like me, who still has some loyalty to the Porsche brands, and who thinks the Cayenne GTS/Panamera GTS are too big and too expensive.

of course, there are other choices such as the F80 M3....

This is exactly what I was not implying. The Macan drives (almost) like a sports car, I wrote this in my review.

It is the sportiest SUV on the market in my opinion and you can be really really fast in it. The question is: Is this (sporty) setup the most important feature the Macan should have? I would prefer more emotions and would even accept a less sporty setup for that. If a SUV makes you happy on the track or on twisty roads only, something is wrong.

Yes, as a daily driver for the wife, kids, whatever, the Macan could be a very nice choice but it really doesn't have anything else to raise your blood pressure or to keep you wanting to drive it over and over again.

My wife loved the Macan Turbo instantly, she immediately asked me if we cannot get rid of her X3 and get the Macan instead. She loves the Macan for the comfort and looks, she doesn't care for a nice exhaust sound. I guess Porsche knew exactly who they made this small SUV for and I'm afraid people like me (or you) may not be the target audience. The Cayenne GTS, Turbo, Turbo S (and maybe even the S with sport exhaust) are a different story. Now that I drove the Macan Turbo for a longer period of time, I think that for me, the next gen Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S is the better choice. The only problem here: The price tag (Cayenne). Smiley

Well, Porsche could still put a Macan Turbo S or a GTS on the market. Not sure however the GTS will be satisfying since I expect a mild power bump (over the S) only. 

So please Porsche: How about a Macan Turbo S with the GTS sound and chassis setup? Thank you. Smiley

--

I expect Porsche to launch a Macan Coupe with 2 (really 3) doors, even lower rear roof and lower ride height.  This could be the GTS.

--

"Form follows function"

Re: Macan Turbo - Short Driving Report

Great review (quite a bit disappointing, though..) - many thanks for posting Smiley

not sure what it;s like in other parts of the work, but in Australia, people buy German SUVs mostly for status.

90% couldn't care less about how well it goes around corners. and the best selling Cayenne here is sadly the Diesel, driven mostly by women....

my wife been bugging me about getting a Cayenne Diesel but after driving it several times, my conclusion is that it is a piece of S#$%$# and I refuse to buy one. 

I will reserve my judgement untl my test drive.  my dealer already has 100+ firm orders before the first cars even arrive, hence zero discount.... so one thing is sure, it will out sell the Cayenne in no time. 

it will open the flood gate to a whole new "breed" of Porsche buyers....  

god knows how long I have to wait next time I book my GT3 in for service....

--

derder:

not sure what it;s like in other parts of the work, but in Australia, people buy German SUVs mostly for status.

90% couldn't care less about how well it goes around corners. and the best selling Cayenne here is sadly the Diesel, driven mostly by women....

my wife been bugging me about getting a Cayenne Diesel but after driving it several times, my conclusion is that it is a piece of S#$%$# and I refuse to buy one. 

I will reserve my judgement untl my test drive.  my dealer already has 100+ firm orders before the first cars even arrive, hence zero discount.... so one thing is sure, it will out sell the Cayenne in no time. 

it will open the flood gate to a whole new "breed" of Porsche buyers....  

god knows how long I have to wait next time I book my GT3 in for service....

I can just tell you, that your dealer is lying to you.  He has never 100+ orders - not even whole Australia has so many Macans on order! 

Where do you live in Australia?

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Australia gets initially 150 cars (June) and as far as I know, all of them are sold (ordered cars or dealer cars which are already promised to customers). Customers who order now are expected to wait almost a year for a Macan. This is information I got from one of our sources.

One single Australian dealer with 100 Macan orders? Doubtful. Maybe the dealer was referring to whole Australia (for now). Unless he is the biggest dealer in Australia but even then, 100 ordered Macan would be a lot.

--

I am not expecting emotions form a Macan Turbo since I didn't get much emotions from my Cayenne TTS or Panamera turbo I test drove. Only 911 have emotions, and still nowhere near what Ferrari or Aston Martin do (can't say about other brands).

What I am expecting is a very sporty SUV that is close to the Panamera in handling and feel, comfortable to drive year round, and where you can have some fun pushing around once and a while. I think if you expected more from the Macan turbo, you are not really the target audience. The Macan GTS will be underpowered, and I don't think the Macan turbo S will be really different from the turbo in speed limited countries like USA. I do expect it to be more fun to drive than Audis and such.

From your review, the Macan turbo will be perfect for me kiss

SciFrog:

I am not expecting emotions form a Macan Turbo since I didn't get much emotions from my Cayenne TTS or Panamera turbo I test drove. Only 911 have emotions, and still nowhere near what Ferrari or Aston Martin do (can't say about other brands).

What I am expecting is a very sporty SUV that is close to the Panamera in handling and feel, comfortable to drive year round, and where you can have some fun pushing around once and a while. I think if you expected more from the Macan turbo, you are not really the target audience. The Macan GTS will be underpowered, and I don't think the Macan turbo S will be really different from the turbo in speed limited countries like USA. I do expect it to be more fun to drive than Audis and such.

From your review, the Macan turbo will be perfect for me kiss

Have you driven a 958 Turbo S or even GTS? Both cars produce emotions, the Macan Turbo doesn't. The Macan Turbo feels much lighter than the Panamera Turbo, so if handling feel is the only emotion you are craving for, you will be very happy.  Smiley

Of course the Macan cannot replace a 911 but I wasn't even talking about that. I was just talking about the fact that this car may be a little bit too perfect, in a slightly negative sense. For a daily comfortable ride, the Macan Turbo should be more than satisfactory but from a Porsche, I usually expect more. The Macan Turbo kind of reminded me of the Cayenne Diesel I drove. Not bad but not really exciting.

--

Looks like your emotion definition has a lot to do with exhaust sound.

My Cayenne TTS sounds like a vacuum cleaner under load. At idle from outside, it has a throaty V8 with nice burbling sound. But who cares, I never sit outside my own idling car... Can't see the 958 being different... Plus never cared for the blander design. The 958 GTS might be better and you loved yours. It still is an overpriced underpowered SUV however. And I refuse to pay $145k for another Cayenne turbo or $160k for a TTS. Macan turbo and supercharged RR sport are under $100k... $90k depreciation on a 4 year old Cayenne TTS in perfect condition tells you something: the car new is overpriced.

RC, as a DJ I must say I love seeing all of your music choices when you post pictures of your PCM.  :)

-Keith

Very insightful review, thanks for sharing wink

--

RC:
    ...so if handling feel is the only emotion you are craving for, you will be very happy.  Smiley

For me it is not the only one, but very, very high on the list.  

Thanks for the review RC. Can't wait for mine to arrive. 

RC:

Australia gets initially 150 cars (June) and as far as I know, all of them are sold (ordered cars or dealer cars which are already promised to customers). Customers who order now are expected to wait almost a year for a Macan. This is information I got from one of our sources.

One single Australian dealer with 100 Macan orders? Doubtful. Maybe the dealer was referring to whole Australia (for now). Unless he is the biggest dealer in Australia but even then, 100 ordered Macan would be a lot.

To be very precise: 61 ordered cars up to date for Victoria (Melbourne). Sydney should be near the same and the rest could be ignored. 

For 2014 for all dealers in Australia the plan is 592 cars without dealer or test cars.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

maybe my friend meant 100+ deposits taken?

anyway.  the fact is there's ZERO discount and a long wait.

the most popular model is the Macan S so far.

--

keithos27:

RC, as a DJ I must say I love seeing all of your music choices when you post pictures of your PCM.  :)

-Keith

Thank you. Smiley My kids love me for having (almost) the same taste in music they have, makes my life a lot easier. My wife is more into mainstream and latin music but she likes listening to "our" stuff too most of the time, so we're good. Smiley I also love Smooth Jazz and Urban Latin music (mostly Reggaeton, etc.), not your typical music taste for a 49 year old. Smiley

--

SciFrog:

Looks like your emotion definition has a lot to do with exhaust sound.

The exhaust/engine sound is essential to having fun in a car. My 991 Turbo S doesn't sound that great at lower rpm but if you rev above 3000 rpm or higher, the aural sex kicks in. Not your typical flat six sound but very addicting. The Macan Turbo has none of that, especially from the interior, you hear nothing.

My Cayenne TTS sounds like a vacuum cleaner under load. At idle from outside, it has a throaty V8 with nice burbling sound.

My Cayenne GTS sounded great and the Cayenne Turbo S I test-drove didn't sound too bad either. I guess you have a 955 or 957 Turbo S?

But who cares, I never sit outside my own idling car... Can't see the 958 being different...

The 958 is different. I am also talking about the exhaust/engine sound from the inside, not the outside.

Plus never cared for the blander design. The 958 GTS might be better and you loved yours. It still is an overpriced underpowered SUV however.

Yes, the Cayenne is overpriced in my opinion as well and yes, the GTS is underpowered and the Macan Turbo is a bargain compared to the GTS but still...emotions always play a part in the purchase of a Porsche. Otherwise, there are other, cheaper, choices on the market.

And I refuse to pay $145k for another Cayenne turbo or $160k for a TTS. Macan turbo and supercharged RR sport are under $100k... $90k depreciation on a 4 year old Cayenne TTS in perfect condition tells you something: the car new is overpriced.

I fully agree here, no argument from me on this one. Still: Even if the Macan Turbo looks like a bargain (vs. the Cayenne GTS and maybe even Turbo), it comes at a price and I am not necessarily referring to the price tag only. You need to give up some emotions and I'm not so sure I want that when I pay a premium for a Porsche.

Right now, rebates or good lease offers are very limited for the Macan Turbo, so if the Macan Turbo isn't that great (from an emotional "Porsche" point of view), why not look for alternatives? Just saying.

Until Porsche, hopefully, comes up with a revised version of the Macan Turbo or maybe a Macan Turbo S. A throatier exhaust sound shouldn't be a problem, technically speaking. Right now, the sport exhaust is not available (there seem to be development issues), so I cannot compare the prototype sport exhaust sound with the final product but let's just hope that Porsche does a little bit better than what I heard so far. Smiley

--

Is there any word on a factory sport exhaust for the Macan Turbo?

FlatSix911:

This is what I was talking about. Smiley

--

RC:
    FlatSix911:

This is what I was talking about. Smiley

Ah...sorry, I had not read your last sentence.

Hmm. There is one thing I'm not sure I understand; why can Porsche homologate  the 991 PSE (which is really quite loud) but nothing louder/throatier for their Turbo cars?

My friend's 997.2 TTS with Europipe sounds fantastic and is probably no louder than a 991 w/PSE. Why can't Porsche do something like that for their Turbo cars?

FlatSix911:

My friend's 997.2 TTS with Europipe sounds fantastic and is probably no louder than a 991 w/PSE. Why can't Porsche do something like that for their Turbo cars?

The main problem seems to be the VTG chargers (911). Otherwise, I don't have a clue, I don't see any reason for sound issues on the Panamera/Cayenne (not so much) and especially on the new Macan Turbo (sport exhaust seems to be in the works though).

Have you compared the sound of a Mercedes E63 S AMG with the current Panamera Turbo? Oh boy...AMG does something right.

--

RC:

The main problem seems to be the VTG chargers (911).

Ok...but why do some aftermarket companies (e.g. Europipe) manage to get around the problem and give VTG Turbos a pleasant and throaty sound? Why can't Porsche do the same?

I'm sure there must be a reason, I just don't know it Smiley

RC:

Have you compared the sound of a Mercedes E63 S AMG with the current Panamera Turbo? Oh boy...AMG does something right.

The  facelifted Panamera Turbo w/PSE sounds very good IMO. Much better than the pre-facelift Panamera Turbo.

Third party manufacturers don't have to meet the same (noise/etc.) standards.

--

RC:

Third party manufacturers don't have to meet the same (noise/etc.) standards.

I understand that, but I don't think that Europipe (for example) puts out any more decibels than a 991 w/PSE.

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688672 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408745 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255544 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857609 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773443 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM