Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

Gnil:
    bluelines:

In excess of 160km/h?! In a downtown area?! Well done.

makes me angry too ! How stupid Smiley  and now these 2 lives destroyed and so many families members in pain Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

What about the typical knee-jerk reaction from the media to blame the car for the incident?  Even driven in a brisk, yet responsible, manner the CGT is a paragon of ability and stability.  

Don't forget that the local press reported that those attending the charity fundraiser reported hearing the car rev off in the distance until the time of the incident.  That only happens when one is aggressively applying throttle.  

That is just how media works. They have to report about something sensational to sell  I bet the Carrera GT is far more stable than most cars at 160km/h.

So the last piece missing is the toxicology report. Or was it released already?

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

It was released today too.  No evidence of alcohol or other substances.

Gnil:
    bluelines:

makes me angry too ! How stupid Smiley  and now these 2 lives destroyed and so many families members in pain Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

kisskiss

Regarding what made him lose control, I suggest that irrelevant. The point is AT SPEED ANYTHING UNEXPECTED will cause lost of control regardless of how good a driver (in this incident a pro) is. Also, lost control at speed usually means serious or fatal injuries. 

nberry:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

kisskiss

Regarding what made him lose control, I suggest that irrelevant. The point is AT SPEED ANYTHING UNEXPECTED will cause lost of control regardless of how good a driver (in this incident a pro) is. Also, lost control at speed usually means serious or fatal injuries. 

May I suggest a slight correction regarding the pro statement?  Motorsports is one of the few athletic endeavors where capital available is a greater factor than ability.  Recall the very public debates about an Indy car driver who was killed in 2006 with some stating that his driving skills were second to his sponsorship.  Regardless of ability, or not, the autopsy report indicates that Rodas lost control in a curve while traveling at a high, unsafe speed.  The car began to rotate before striking the curb and a tree on the driver's side.  The vehicle momentum was high enough to rotate the car in the opposite direction before striking a tree and a light pole on the passenger's side.  As you indicate any debris, or even the lifting of the throttle, could have caused the CGT to lose traction.  

Even Walter Röhrl crashed the Carrera GT during development, so this is not a car for beginners. Driving such a car at over 100 mph in a 45 mph zone is just plain dumb. Even if the driver could have handled the car just fine, what about other people who are aware of the 45 mph zone and don't expect cars traveling along that road at over 100 mph? 

A good driver adapts. To the car, to the road conditions, to the weather, to everything. Also, when you have another person in your car, you have a responsibility for that person.

I don't want to blame anyone here but I think we all knew that speeding was the reason for the accident.

I feel so sorry for the families involved, especially the kids and the parents. Hopefully, the Walker family doesn't go after Rodas' estate because he has (two?) kids too and they cannot be blamed for what happened. Tragedy should stop with the accident. It happened. Everybody needs to move on, I just hope they have the strength to do that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Hopefully, the Walker family doesn't go after Rodas' estate because he has (two?) kids too and they cannot be blamed for what happened. Tragedy should stop with the accident. It happened. Everybody needs to move on, I just hope they have the strength to do that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

+ 1 . Hope so too . No point to bring more suffering to the kids . 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The car was not at fault according to the official report to be released this week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/apnewsbreak-speed-to-blame-for-walker-crash/2014/03/25/b87a6824-b460-11e...

nberry:

The car was not at fault according to the official report to be released this week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/apnewsbreak-speed-to-blame-for-walker-crash/2014/03/25/b87a6824-b460-11e...

Kind of disappointing to read this about the crashed Carrera GT and knowing at the same time that Rodas was supposed to be a sports car professional: Smiley

Its tires were about nine years old; the owner’s manual suggests changing the tires after four years.

Its left rear brake rotor was worn below manufacturer specifications, but that did not contribute to the crash.

Also the speed...81 to 94 mph...in a 45 mph zone. Oh boy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Illegal speed, but not fast enough for a supercar driven by a "professional", so as to lose control. Was the driver looking at the fans instead of the road ahead?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Illegal speed, but not fast enough for a supercar driven by a "professional", so as to lose control. Was the driver looking at the fans instead of the road ahead?

It depends on the road and of course the Carrera GT is no toy car. Even professional drivers perceive the Carrera GT as a challenge, I have a lot of respect towards this car.
    I suppose it was one of these typical situations which happen once or twice in a lifetime, even to very good drivers: One moment you loose control and Rodas wasn't lucky enough to avoid that pole. Sh.t happens, as sad as this may sound.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

It was fortunate that he didn't kill any bystanders, since it happened next to a fundraising event.

--

"Form follows function"

You guys forgot to read the most disturbing part... tires were 9 years old. That is wreckless and stupid! 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

9yr old tires on a Carrera GT. Brilliant!

More greed than brains is not uncommon in the performance car sales culture. A lot of those guys are cheap bozos. I once saw 3 different  types of tires on a used Ferrari F355 at what was supposedly Ferrari's best US dealer. How they could sell a F car set up like that was beyond stupid.

Atzporsche:

You guys forgot to read the most disturbing part... tires were 9 years old. That is wreckless and stupid! 

You should read one of my previous posts in this thread... Smiley Smiley

Tires were old...rotor was not OK...not what I expected from a pro driver. Smiley

--

Cars which are hardly used, don't  consume the tyre tread and consequently tyres look OK to superficial examination. However, the qualities of the rubber deteriorate with time and tyre sidewalls lose their elasticity and strength. It is a crime to drive any car without correct tyres.

Another issue is the tyre brand. I see everyday many premium cars, from Cayenne to BMW 6,7 to S class wearing some funny chinese brands or even imported used tyres from crashed cars. If someone cannot afford the tyres, why should this person buy an expensive car mail

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Cars which are hardly used, don't  consume the tyre tread and consequently tyres look OK to superficial examination. However, the qualities of the rubber deteriorate with time and tyre sidewalls lose their elasticity and strength. It is a crime to drive any car without correct tyres.

Another issue is the tyre brand. I see everyday many premium cars, from Cayenne to BMW 6,7 to S class wearing some funny chinese brands or even imported used tyres from crashed cars. If someone cannot afford the tyres, why should this person buy an expensive car mail

I saw so many expensive cars with cheap Korean or Chinese tires in the past, you won't believe me. Especially cheap winter tires seem to be successful. Also saw many Porsche drivers driving around without any tread left, which of course is illegal. Some drive their cars only a couple of times per year, so why bother to get new tires? Smiley

--

That is just crazy. I would spend $500 for tires on my $600 valued car!! In fact I have in the past.. tires are #1 safety feature... 

--

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

That is just crazy. I would spend $500 for tires on my $600 valued car!! In fact I have in the past.. tires are #1 safety feature... 

I agree and I am also dismayed by those in snowy places who use all season tires because they're too cheap and/or lazy to swap snow and summer tires twice a year (all season tires are the worst compromise you can make).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

I agree and I am also dismayed by those in snowy places who use all season tires because they're too cheap and/or lazy to swap snow and summer tires twice a year (all season tires are the worst compromise you can make).

For people who mostly just see their car as transportation, in the US at least, the vast majority of drivers/owners, you can hardly blame them since they've been bombarded with ads from the tire companies for years telling them that all-season tires really are all season. (Maybe not so much lately, but, certainly in the early years, when radials were just hitting the market and studded snow tires were being deprecated.) It's a bit surprising, though, to read odes to all-seasons on car forums.

Porsche sued over actor death crash

http://home.bt.com/news/worldnews/porsche-sued-over-actor-death-crash-11363901436593

The widow of the man who was driving a Porsche sports car that crashed and killed Fast & Furious actor Paul Walker is suing the car maker.

She is claiming that design flaws caused both men to die in the crash in November.

The wrongful death lawsuit by Kristine Rodas says her husband was driving at 55mph - not at unsafe speeds as law enforcement investigators decided - before it crashed last year.

Roger Rodas was driving a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT capable of speeds more than 200mph, but his wife's lawsuit says the vehicle lacked a proper crash cage and safety features in the petrol tank that would have saved both men's lives.

The lawsuit also contends that a failure in the car's suspension system forced it to career out of control and strike three trees while driving down a street in Santa Clarita, California.

"The Carrera GT was unsafe for its intended use by reason of defects in its manufacture, design, testing, component and constituents, so that it would not safely serve its purpose," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from Porsche Cars North America, which did not immediately comment.

Kristine Rodas' lawyer, Mark Geragos, said he hired the most senior experts in the country to evaluate the wreckage and crash.

The results, he said, were an unbiased look at the accident that refutes an official investigation that decided the sports car was speeding at up to 94mph when it crashed.

The results of an investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol were released in March and concluded that it was unsafe speed and not mechanical problems that caused the crash.

That investigation was aided by engineers from Porsche, who evaluated the wreckage of the rare car.

The differing opinions on the crash will probably be a part of any trial over the lawsuit, which could take years to resolve.

Roger Rodas was trained as a race car driver, according to his wife's lawsuit. He left behind two young children on his death.

Walker, the star of the Fast & Furious film franchise, co-owned a car racing team with Mr Rodas named Always Evolving.

Walker's death occurred on a break in the filming of Fast & Furious 7, and the actor's two brothers are helping complete action scenes in the film.

The film's release has been delayed until April 2015.

Why anyone bothers to do business in the US is beyond me. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Wow... It won't bring them back (RIP) and maybe do some research before wasting resources and time. The car WAS SPEEDING (case closed) and the tire were TOO OLD (case closed again). Porsche should sue back actually for careless ownership and brand image damages...

--

very well said !

LOL, as if a superbly engineered car like a CGT would suffer such severe damage from a relatively mild impact at 55MPH...

This claiming culture -probably initiated by the insurance company- is getting ridiculous. It's good to investigate and to challenge the safety of a vehicle, but this seems to be beyond all limits.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Only in The USA... 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

55 MPH ? Are they joking ? Maybe they should try to crash a car at 55 against a tree and they will see the result ... and compare it to this crash.

Sad for the widow that she beliveves in this s...t surprise

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

55 MPH ? Are they joking ? Maybe they should try to crash a car at 55 against a tree and they will see the result ... and compare it to this crash.

Sad for the widow that she beliveves in this s...t surprise

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Good idea!! And let's put the b**** in the car! This story really makes steam coming out of my ears! Smiley

The widow is a golddigger, that's for sure. She is only trying to be sure to never have to work again. This won't bring back her husband, this wil only bring her money and media attention, no matter if she wins or loses, which clearly seems to be more important to her than the death of her husband.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Insane enlightened

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

SuzyF:
    The widow is a golddigger, that's for sure. She is only trying to be sure to never have to work again. This won't bring back her husband, this wil only bring her money and media attention, no matter if she wins or loses, which clearly seems to be more important to her than the death of her husband.

I'm not sure about that. I heard stories with a previous fatal accident with a CGT, where the family of the deceased passenger suid the family of the deceased driver, the Porsche company, the track owners, the organizers of the event, etc.. As far as I understood back then, this was not initiated by the family of the passenger, but by the insurance companies. Must have been hell for both families to loose a beloved one and have to deal with these sharks from the insurance companies as well...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688657 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408740 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773428 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM