Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Huracan LP610-4 configurator

How is one sure that the Lamborghini driver did not call the police?  Chicago, for example, has an acute shortage of officers and calls are prioritized.  There are times when even during very violent acts and crimes, there are not any police officers available!  So, one cannot assume that the Lamborghini driver did not call the police and was rebuffed.

Also, as I mentioned before the video is carefully edited to provide a narrative that may or may not be factual.  Look at the position of the Audi and Subaru at the exit.  The Audi did not block that Subaru, he could have easily continued on his way on the Interstate.  Something happened for the Lamborghini driver to become agitated moments before he rolled up behind the cameraman.  

I side with the Lambo driver on this one. In fact I even think his reaction was not all that extreme given the fact that some guy had been following him and filming him for what seems to be more than an hour. The Subaru driver didn't just stumble upon the guy on the highway, he specifically says he saw the lambo going the other way and turned around just to follow it.  I'd be pretty angry too if someone followed me turn by turn for such a long time. 

Enmanuel:

I side with the Lambo driver on this one. In fact I even think his reaction was not all that extreme given the fact that some guy had been following him and filming him for what seems to be more than an hour. The Subaru driver didn't just stumble upon the guy on the highway, he specifically says he saw the lambo going the other way and turned around just to follow it.  I'd be pretty angry too if someone followed me turn by turn for such a long time. 

As I posted above, I completely agree.  The guy in the Subaru was very passive-aggressive with his continued tracking of the Lamborghini.  The driver of the Lamborghini did send several signals to, as we say in the States, BACK OFF, and he failed to heed that message.  Then when the Audi A8 appeared on the scene, camera guy should have gotten the hint once more to back off.  

While the Lamborghini was driven on public roads, there are limitations on how one can behave and the driver of the Subaru far exceeded that limit.

Rossi:

Of course we don't know what has happened during the whole drive [...]

Yep, and that says it all... so making any judgements based on that video is simply ridiculous. On top of that, following some guy in a Lamborghini for 45 minutes is kind of awkward if he clearly does not appreciate that, isn´t it?

Ferdie:
    Rossi:

Yep, and that says it all... so making any judgements based on that video is simply ridiculous. On top of that, following some guy in a Lamborghini for 45 minutes is kind of awkward if he clearly does not appreciate that, isn´t it?

Not necessarily. For example I myself did often drive in some sort of "formation flight" with other - to me unknown - sportscars for half an hour or longer, but on the autobahn at much higher speed than this highway cruising in the USA.

But as you said, it's useless to discuss something from which we don't know what exactly has happened. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Ferdie:
    Rossi:

Not necessarily. For example I myself did often drive in some sort of "formation flight" with other - to me unknown - sportscars for half an hour or longer, but on the autobahn at much higher speed than this highway cruising in the USA.

But as you said, it's useless to discuss something from which we don't know what exactly has happened. Smiley

Yeah but did you turn around while you were going the opposite direction on the autobahn just to make this "formation" happen? and did you follow them when they slowed down to leave the highway? 

To me it's still pretty clear who was acting out of bounds here. It's one thing to have a sort of petrol head understanding if you're cruising along at a certain speed and someone else in a sports car "joins" in, but theres a point where it gets creepy and the Subaru guy was way past that. 

Their new CF is terrible looking.

WANT!!!!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

noone1:

Is it not odd that the cross brace and the middle of the engine don't line up? That would drive me bonkers.

And yes, that carbon fiber looks like cheap winter camo.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

RTN carbon fibre, something different to what we are used to?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

RTN carbon fibre, something different to what we are used to?

Usually carbon fibre mats are placed in a cast and immersed in resin. That is a time-consuming task and, since it usually requires manual labour, does not have the same precision as machined or die-cast manufactured components. As far as I know those casts also allow a much lower number of units being produced out of them due to increasing tolerances of the mold.

RTM components are usually pre-shaped under heat and then impregnated with resin under high pressure which ensures a much faster, more automated and more accurate result which is necessary for serial-production. Oddly the BMW i3 and i8 for example feature panels manufactured in this method as well, possibly Lamborghini uses a slightly different process that leads to these indeed oddly looking panels.

Guess Joost can tell more about it since it originates from aerospace industry. Smiley

Mithras:
    noone1:

Is it not odd that the cross brace and the middle of the engine don't line up? That would drive me bonkers.

And yes, that carbon fiber looks like cheap winter camo.

Typical Lamborghini trait starting with the Gallardo. The engine is slightly offset to compensate for the drive shaft to run through the sump, this is how drive is provided to the front and rear differentials.  

The carbon fiber engine bay covers are designed to showcase Lamborghini's forged carbon technology.  It may look a bit strange because it is a different visual effect for carbon fiber.

Doesn't Lamborghini have a Joint Venture with Boeing for this?

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

It's forged CF, similar to what you'd find on some watches. I think it's quicker and cheaper to build, and strength independent of weave pattern/direction.

I'm sure it's an excellent product, but it belongs in places unseen and useful. The cheap black plastic in the engine compartment is possibly even lighter than the CF. Engine compartment CF is nothing more than aesthetics. This is not a great decorative item in large amounts. I wonder if you could have it painted. It's just ugly and messy looking.

BTW the Carbon forged engine bay is optional and it comes with the transparent engine bonnet at some €6.000.

The standard bonnet looks like this, in traditional Lamborghini style.

lamborghini_huracan_configurator_2-620x605.jpg

top-speed-201-mph.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

I would prefer the standard engine cover, made of aluminium. It is in Lamborghini tradition and individual. The glass cover that flaunts the engine is a copy of Ferrari, not to mention Audi.

--

"Form follows function"

noone1:

It's forged CF, similar to what you'd find on some watches. I think it's quicker and cheaper to build, and strength independent of weave pattern/direction.

I'm sure it's an excellent product, but it belongs in places unseen and useful. The cheap black plastic in the engine compartment is possibly even lighter than the CF. Engine compartment CF is nothing more than aesthetics. This is not a great decorative item in large amounts. I wonder if you could have it painted. It's just ugly and messy looking.

I need to wait until I actually see this material in its application before I can fully comment.  Light and photograph sometimes distort the appearance of some materials.  But then again, Porsche for a while had used a material on the early launch Boxsters that did resemble black spray painted styrofoam.  

Already in this picture it looks different than in previous ones.

Nevertheless, this forged carbon looks peculiar because we are used to the ubiquitous weave pattern CF. Once it becomes more widely used, the discussions will be over.

lead10-2015-lamborghini-huracan-fd.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

I think it looks rather cool, somehow technical, which fits a Lamborghini very well. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

These are the Aventador's more conventional carbon engine bay covers.

2013_aventador_lp700_roadster_82.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Nice review from Jethro B; it seems that he is trying to say that in the real world, for people who do not normally drive their  sports cars hanging big drifts everywhere, the Huracan is immensely usable and fast, and purposely different than its 2WD rivals.  The video shots show very well the effect of AWD, and as he powers out of corners you can really see the car pull itself through and straighten out under power, a sensation very familiar to anyone who owns a fast AWD car.   Maybe the supercar for all in northern latitudes: put on some snow tires in October and keep having fun through Christmas…. kiss

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Regarding the carbon fibre pattern: This doesn't seem like RTM to me.

Carbon fibre products consist of two materials: the carbon fibres and the plastic resin (hence the more correct name "CFRP", Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic).

Normally, for carbon fibre products, so-called pre-pregs are used: mats of woven or unidirectional carbon fibres, pre-impregnated with resin. The fibre-prepregs are put in place, pressure and heat are applied, and the resin hardens, fixing the fibres in place.

With RTM (which stands for Resin Transfer Molding) , the fibres are put into place, usually in very complex molds. The resin is then flushed into the mold, pressure and heat are applied and then you have your final product. The advantage is that very complicated shapes are possible in just one single assembly step, with uninterrupted fibres in 3D shapes.

What we're looking at in the Lambo tub seems another process: chopped up pieces of (pre-preg?) fibre mats, mixed in a bath of resin, poored into a mold and then cured. At least, that's what it looks like. If this is the case, then that takes away a lot of labour intensive assembly/preparation/manufacturing time and cost.
    Why one would do this is beyond me. I always learnt that the strength per unit weight of carbon is more or less equal to aluminium. It is only when you start tayloring the fibre directions when it can be stronger yet lighter than aluminium...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

So they may claim is carbon fiber without lying and in the same time make a bigger profit. Also maybe this material will be slightly lighter then aluminium?

--

There is no try. Just do.

we're looking at using one inch plus length chopped fibers which can be to some degree orientated in the direction favored.   Sheer strength surpasses laid up composite in that the fibers go through the z axis.  I wouldn't discount them making this choice.  

They mentioned something about process yielding strength in all directions, hence it doesn't require the time and tedious process of laying weaves in certain directions.

Audi/VW spend billions on R&D and Lamborghini was even working with Boeing. I highly doubt this is just marketing fluff. I'd put my money on it working exactly as they claim.

@ Pentium: true, I think it might definately be cheaper than traditional laid up CFRP structures, possibly a bit lighter, but I suspect not by much (all based on gut feeling though, no proof).

@Van-: Regarding the shear strength; sounds fair to me. Regarding the tayloring... let's say that it would be very interesting to see how they do that.

@noone1: Yeah, I can understand that it does yield strength in all directions, which makes it so weird that they apply it, since that is not really the strongsuit of CFRP: traditionally it only saves you weight when you only give it strength in the directions you need.

All in all a very interesting development. I am not saying it is marketing bogus, it just goes against everything you traditionally learn about fibre reinforced plastics. All in all, it intrigues me!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Also maybe is important where it is used... Carbon fiber for a chassis is one thing (torsion, fibers aligned) but for engine bay is less important...

--

There is no try. Just do.

I trust Audi on the matter of carbon, more than any of the others. If Lamborghini was alone their choice of materials might be suspect, but not within the VW Group.

The hybrid (carbon and alu) rolling chassis of the Huracan is an Audi innovation. Strength where needed, lightness and lower cost kiss

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM