Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Cayman GT4 Myth Has Started

Car and Driver and Motor Trend may have lost their minds. They claim that a high hp Cayman GT4 will becoming from Porsche soon.  http://blog.caranddriver.com/someone-call-911-and-tell-it-a-porsche-cayman-gt4-model-is-coming-for-it/

They also claim the next 911 Turbo S might have 750hp combined from a gas engine and a electric drive unit. And also that Porsche will be use a inline 4 instead of a flat 4 for some sports car models. Who knows. I doubt those guys actually  do. Where they get this stuff is anyone's guess. Hard to believe that anyone in Porsche's product planning group would let someone outside the company or much less someone from Motortrend know whats coming in 2 years.

Re: The Cayman GT4 Myth Has Started

I would not say the myth started, it rather got refuelled indecision It started all the way back in 2005 when the first Cayman saw the light...

Nevertheless, until there is official information from Porsche I don't take much notice. Although I am sure we can fill pages and pages in various threads with speculation, unrealistic wishes and random insults indecision

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Car and Driver is simply citing Motor Trend's post. Motor trend is "predicting" 3 years out. By the time 2017 rolls around, everyone will have forgotten, but they'll still have the ad revenue from the increase in page hits.

I still keep this slogan from Porsche from 2012 on file, which IMO addresses and / or would address any current or new model in the future:

"...A model boasting impressive performance and dynamic looks, exuding unadulterated driving pleasure..."

So, why not start the discussion about the upcoming Cayman R in November...Smiley

d997h:

I still keep this slogan from Porsche from 2012 on file, which IMO addresses and / or would address any current or new model in the future:

"...A model boasting impressive performance and dynamic looks, exuding unadulterated driving pleasure..."

So, why not start the discussion about the upcoming Cayman R in November...Smiley

Oh, now you done it. The cat is out of the bag Smiley

--

oh, I am very sorry, I forgot about your porsche tinitus...Smiley

So Car and Driver and Motortrend seem to be the English versions of Auto Bild - Big headlines and no content.

And why Cayman GT4? Cayman RS sounds more logically to me for a purist sportscar. OK GT3 comes from motorsports and there is a GT4 class, but it is not very likely that Porsche will compete there.

GT2 and GT3 got the name from the racing categories. But GT4?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

http://gt4series.com/

To fuel the speculation even more Smiley

--

bluelines:
    reginos:

http://gt4series.com/

To fuel the speculation even more Smiley

It fits very well Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Rotbart:
    And why Cayman GT4? Cayman RS sounds more logically to me for a purist sportscar. OK GT3 comes from motorsports and there is a GT4 class.....

because they can charge $$$ for the base GT4 model,  then 1.5x $$$ for  the inevitable GT4RS model .. 

( see GT2 and GT3 model history) 

Smiley

@MKW yep, business works like this. I just think that Cayman RS sounds better, but the marketing team will find a solution anyway smiley

I remember RC himself confirmed this model was a 'go' in the depths of one of the threads here (GT3: official?).  Speculation no more!

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Porsche Cayman GT4...

Porsche’s Plan: More Horsepower, More Hybrids and Cayman GT4...

(7 May 2014)

"Hot on the heels of the news that Porsche is working on a  “coupe” version of Cayenne, comes a metric ton more news from Zuffenhausen. Really, I’m hardly sure where to start. Perhaps at the top?

Discounting the likes of the near-million-dollar 918 Spyder, the most powerful Porsche you can currently buy makes 570 horsepower. That’s the Panamera Turbo S, which is followed closely by the 560-hp 911 Turbo S. Thing is, 700 hp is the new normal (Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari F12 Berlinetta), and Porsche doesn’t compete in that space. But they will by 2017.

Expect hybridized, plug-in 700-plus-hp versions of both the Panamera Turbo S and the 911 Turbo S. The technology will easily and effectively trickle down from the 918 Spyder because for one, software is software and already paid for. For another, electric traction motors and lithium ion batteries are easy to scale. Sound farfetched? Remember that some European city centers will be Zero-Emissions Zones (aka ZEZs, where internal combustion and regular hybrids will be banned) sooner than later, and plug-in hybrids seem to be the only solution save for pure electric vehicles. BMW’s already prepared for this eventuality with its high-tech i8 PHEV. It also makes sense that the range-topping (and therefore most expensive) versions of each Porsche will get hybridized. We can also guess that if the 156-hp electric motor from the rear of the 918 can fit between the gas engines and PDK transmissions that total output will be around 725-730 hp.

You can expect both cars to wear an e-Hybrid badge, just like their 918 big brother. You can also expect the next generation Cayenne Turbo S to get a hybrid option/e-Hybrid badge as well, though that remains an educated guess for now. There’s nothing definitive yet as to whether the new e-Hybrids will slot above the existing Turbo S models, or if they’ll replace the current pinnacle cars. Everyone knows how much Porsche loves model proliferation, but word on the Straße is that there are already too many variants within each model. Sixteen versions of the 911 and 11 Panameras are already hard enough to differentiate, not just in customers’ minds, but for Porsche employees. So say some. Knowing Porsche however, the upcoming e-Hybrids will be new models. You can also expect to see a PHEV version of the new twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 found in the Panamera S as that’s the powertrain we saw in the Sport Turismo Concept.

Then there are the models on top of the models, like the Cayenne Coupe and the aforementioned Panamera Sport Turismo -- the sexy, station wagon, PHEV version of the Panamera we drove in Beverly Hills last year. To catch you up, think of the Sport Turismo as the Audi A7/Mercedes CLS version of the Panamera -- 20% of Panamera sales will be Sport Turismo, and they will sell for 20% more money. That metric probably holds true for the Cayenne Coupe. Both variants will initially only exist in high-dollar e-Hybrid form, with less potent, less expensive versions to follow.

The strategy is similar to how Porsche launched the Macan, with the two big boy engines (the 340-hp Macan S and the 400-hp Turbo) out of the gate initially, to be followed by a turbo-four version soon enough. When the Macan S appears, it very well may be a PHEV version of the Macan Turbo. For the time being, expect Cayenne Coupe and Panamera Sport Turismo pricing to start at $185K and go up. Not cheap, but these are 725-plus-hp, part-time electric vehicles we’re talking about. Also, expect the Cayenne Coupe to be badged as the Cayenne Sport Turismo, exactly like how BMW has both a 3 and 5 Series Gran Turismo as well as a 4 and 6 series Gran Coupe.

All of which brings us to perhaps the most exciting new car Porsche will bring to market in the next three years, the GT4. Based on the Cayman and probably destined to be called the Cayman GT4, the GT4 will be the big-power, mid-engine, reasonably priced Porsche every purist has been crowing about since forever. By reasonably priced we mean compared to a GT3. Pricing will be about $125K and the GT4 will sit way above the recently created Cayman GTS. What makes a GT4? Expect a transmission similar to the modified PDK unit found in the GT3.

What engine is still the big question mark, and interestingly might be settled this June in France. If the 919 Hybrid goes real big and wins the 24 Hours of Le Mans, expect Porsche to try and capitalize on that fact by pushing a turbocharged four-cylinder plug-in hybrid powertrain. If the 919’s teething problems continue, the GT4 could remain as a flat-six, but with hybrid assist. Expect to also see a Boxster version of the GT4, though it will most likely be called the RS Spyder. Either way, validation testing on the inline-4 turbo is taking place right now.

One Porsche engine that’s not going to see the light of day is a flat-four. There was some hope that because the turbo-four will (as we’ve previously reported) go into a 911 that a flat, or boxer version of the engine will get built and with it the return of the loved-by-some 912 nomenclature. Seems like both the 912 badge and a modern flat-four Porsche engine are not destined for this world.

The question then becomes who gets the turbo I-4 first, the 911 or the Boxster/Cayman? Depends on who you talk to at Porsche, as the mid-engine guys generally don’t communicate with (or seem to like) the rear-engine guys and vice-versa. Our best guess is that since the Boxster is first in line for a refresh, that’s where we’ll see Porsche’s four-cylinder motor appear first. A turbo-four was recently confirmed for the Euro-spec Macan crossover, but it's possible that engine may be of a different design. Expect the Boxster's I-4 to then work its way to the 911 and Cayman. The really good news? The turbo-four plus hybrid power will be good for over 400 hp, more than the Carrera S makes currently. Is it 2017 yet?"

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: Porsche Cayman GT4...

I'm still waiting to see a  Boxster GTS or Cayman GTS review.yes

A flat 6 Cayman GT4 might not be the magic car that some think it would be. The RUF 3600 and 3800 were not any quicker or faster than the 911s that their motors came from, the 911 rear engine design seems to get the most power to the ground so Porsche Marketing and Engineering people will have to be very creative.  If the " $125K" Cayman GT4 uses the VW 420hp inline 4 like the Audi TT RS Quattro will, and that weighs substantially less than a flat 6, that might be interesting. At least it could be a record sales price for a VW 4cyl engined car. indecision

Porsche Cayman GTS first drive review by Autocar...

Beautifully sweet to drive and something of a bargain in the Porsche range, the new Cayman GTS ticks all the right boxes for a sports car

(8 May 2014)

What is it?

A new, slightly more potent version of the already rather wonderful Cayman S that will, for the time being at least, lord it at the top the Cayman range until more powerful, possibly turbocharged models appear in the reasonably distant future.

Priced at £55,397 and boasting an uprated 336bhp version of the 3.4-litre flat six that already serves the Cayman S so well, the GTS also gets Porsche’s PASM suspension system as standard alongside a set of tasty looking 20-inch alloy wheels and a small range of styling upgrades. And it goes on sale throughout the Porsche dealer network as of now, with a six-speed manual gearbox as standard and the option of Porsche’s excellent but pricey seven-speed PDK dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Also on the options list will be carbon-ceramic brakes, as before, but what’s new to the line-up is a sports chassis option, which lowers the ride height by 20mm and does away with the electronic dampers for the ultimate 'analogue' Cayman driving experience. The sport chassis is a no-cost extra and can be specified in place of the PASM.

You also get the sports exhaust and Sports Chrono Package as standard on the GTS, whose kerb weight drops to a feather-light 1345kg, getting from 0-62mph in 4.9sec with the manual gearbox and 4.6sec with the optional PDK.

What is it like?

In a word, lovely, especially in the spec in which I drove the car on its launch – so with the sports chassis, optional carbon-ceramic brakes, sports seats and a six-speed manual gearbox.

There is a cohesion to the way this car goes down the road that is rare, if not unique in my experience. There are 911 fans who claim that the bigger car is still the better one to drive and that the Cayman remains its lieutenant, no matter what form it might take or how good it may be. But I am no longer one of these people. 

The Cayman GTS feels connected and compact and responsive to your inputs – be that to its throttle, steering, brake pedal or gearlever, which slices quite beautifully up and down its six-speed gate – in a way that a 911 no longer does. The last time a regular 911 felt this alive, this keyed in to the part of one’s brain that revels in the simple art of driving, was a very long time ago. 

Indeed, you need to look to some fairly special versions of the 911 to match the satisfaction that the GTS Cayman provides, to the second generation 996 GT3, perhaps, or the 997 GT3 RS, and more recently the current GT3. And this puts the Cayman GTS in very high company, and me right out on a limb among Porsche’s commentators, some of whom will take great offence at such heresy towards the sacred 911. 

But, for me, that’s how extraordinarily good the Cayman GTS, with sports chassis, manual gearbox, carbon-ceramic brakes and sports seats, feels. Which is some statement, but then the Cayman GTS really is some car.

Should I buy one?

It’s hard, if not impossible, to think of any other sporting car this side of £70,000 that is sweeter to drive than a Cayman GTS. Get the spec just right and you will get very close to motoring nirvana. Get it wrong and you’ll still end up with a very lovely sports car. 

And at £55k it seems like a bargain next to just about all versions of the latest 911, none of which feel as compact or connected as a Cayman GTS. So I guess the answer is, yes, you should. With extra cheese and chilli sauce on top.

Porsche Cayman GTS

Price £55,397 0-62mph 4.6sec Top speed 177mph Economy 31.4mpg (combined) CO2 211g/km Kerb weight 1345kg, Engine 6 cyls horizontally opposed, 3436cc, petrol Installation Mid, longitudinal, rear-wheel drive Power 336bhp at 7400rpm; Torque 280lb ft at 6500rpm Gearbox 6-speed manual

Autocar rating: ***** (5 stars)

Smiley SmileySmiley

Fantastic level of driver involvement.kiss

Love the sporty look of the alcantara interior. Much better than leather. And the Turbo wheels look nice.

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

JimFlat6:

Fantastic level of driver involvement.kiss

I agree, except still not convinced on the electric steering.  Here's hoping Kreso's rumor that all the 981.2/991.2 facelifts receive better steering from things learned in GT3 development.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

I agree, except still not convinced on the electric steering.  Here's hoping Kreso's rumor that all the 981.2/991.2 facelifts receive better steering from things learned in GT3 development.

Grant,

can´t find the other thread in which you commented about the electric power steering. I personally do not believe that electric steering has to come with an inherent lack of feel. i rather believe that this technology will still be matter of development for the next few years and couple of model generations. Let´s not forget that the hydraulic power steering had 60 years to be developed and came with quite some shortcomings in the beginning as well.

Both systems basically provide the same benefit, an assistance for the driver that functions based on certain predefined algorithms or settings. I actually believe that, once the development has proceeded, the electric power steering will be far superior yet will feature several additional benefits. So yes, in the next few years and especially on a broad basis the electrical version might be inferior in terms of steering feel, yet I do not see this technology as deficient by its principle. 

Smiley

Ferdie:
    Grant:

Grant,

I rather believe that this technology will still be matter of development for the next few years and couple of model generations. 

Smiley

Hope you're right Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Ferdie:
    Grant:

Grant,

can´t find the other thread in which you commented about the electric power steering. I personally do not believe that electric steering has to come with an inherent lack of feel. i rather believe that this technology will still be matter of development for the next few years and couple of model generations. Let´s not forget that the hydraulic power steering had 60 years to be developed and came with quite some shortcomings in the beginning as well.

Both systems basically provide the same benefit, an assistance for the driver that functions based on certain predefined algorithms or settings. I actually believe that, once the development has proceeded, the electric power steering will be far superior yet will feature several additional benefits. So yes, in the next few years and especially on a broad basis the electrical version might be inferior in terms of steering feel, yet I do not see this technology as deficient by its principle. 

Smiley

+1 Smiley

From a personal experience, I find no issue with the 991 electrical steering compared to the 997/987 hydraulic steering.

There is an excellent article on this topic on PistonHeads. Well worth a read.

--

bluelines:

From a personal experience, I find no issue with the 991 electrical steering compared to the 997/987 hydraulic steering.

There is an excellent article on this topic on PistonHeads. Well worth a read.

Hi there - thanks for posting that article (which I read earlier but was happy to refresh my memory).  I guess I came away with a very different impression than you from reading it (and from driving the new cars).  My take was that EPS is necessary for start/stop, that it is synthetic and far less natural and informative, yet you can still pilot the car with the ability to sense the limit (even if it less satisfying to some, including myself).  To me, that is far from a win.  I know my whining about this is getting old to most here, so sorry about that Smiley  Thanks for being patient with me Smiley

--

On a very smooth road or track, the limits are telegraphed by EPS, although the extra filtering is not  to my taste.  In trickier road conditions (bumpy or patchy grip levels) the EPS does not provide adequate information about grip levels and for me, this is a huge fail.  It is enough for me to walk away from Porsche

--

Gen II Cayman S

hmmm3...

I guess, the disappointment of opportunities foregone in the past to market a cayman as a tracktoy is so strong, that I would still rule out something like what we see here to happen...for me, it would be the usual mule testing whatever components...and still, these are the first pics of a car one could consider to be the real deal and I would even not mind if and when P. would introduce it with a 4 cyl turbo... I will keep fingers crossed. 

Porsche Cayman GT4...

Porsche-Cayman-GT4.jpg

...with 3.8-litre flat-six and 400PS Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche Cayman GT4 prototype testing on road...

(13 May 2014)

2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 spy shots

It was only a week ago that the news emerged Porsche is planning a hardcore, track-focused version of its latest Cayman, and now we have spy shots of a prototype for just such a car. The prototype was spotted on some surrounding roads of Germany’s Nürburgring race track and reveals the aggressive look that the little brother to the 911 GT3 will take.

Talk of a hardcore Cayman built along the lines of the 911 GT3 dates back all the way to 2009, but since then the closest we’ve got to such a car being launched is 2012’s Cayman R and the more recent Cayman GTS. However, the latest Cayman variant is expected to offer much more substantial upgrades than those previous cars.

As the spy shots confirm, the car has a lower ride height than the standard Cayman, which suggests a much more aggressive tune for the suspension. We can also see a new aero kit with a deep lip spoiler up front and a huge wing at the rear. The brakes are also much larger than those fitted to the standard Cayman.

Look for a reveal of the new Cayman variant, which may end up being called a Cayman GT4, towards the end of next year. We’re likely to see it in showrooms in the early part of 2016.

Porsche Cayman GT4 prototype testing on road -- Motor Authority link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Gotta love the big brakes and 5-lug wheels (not center-lock)!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691761 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410440 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256332 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235547 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4753 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

859020 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775500 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM