Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chris Harris drives the BMW i8 Video and ....

CH says that a Porsche 991 owner would be happy with it. Suddenly the 991 looks very dated.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29907

The i8 raises some questions for the luxury sports car marketplace.... such as.... At what point will the market reject the 991 shape and mechanicals as too old fashioned for the money?  Did Porsche waste time and resources on the limited production 918 when they could have developed a new $140K modern era sports car for 991 buyers?

Re: Chris Harris drives the BMW i8 Video and ....

Such an ugly car.... I cannot think of one thing that  i like about it. Ugh!!

i would rather walk than drive that thing. BMW should not make this and the rediculous i3 under their own name. They should have launched a new brandname for it. This not the name BMW worthy IMO.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

If this is the future, let me stay in the past.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

what? you don't like a turbocharged Mini Cooper engine with 100% fake engine sound created by the stereos speakers? tongue.png  can you select which car you what to sound like? Ferrari V8? Audi V10? Porsche flat-6? Aston V12?1325269639981rolleyes.gif

... I think you can get an optional upgraded speedo that will show 50km/h more than the real speed so you think you are going faster than you really are too Smiley

--

^ Get off my lawn!

Times change. I like the i8. Not as cool as the concept was, but they never are.  Not sure I'd pay $140K for one, but eventually that technology will be cheaper. You gotta start somewhere.

BTW, I'd be willing to bet you're getting far more for your money with the i8 than you are with a 991. From what I've seen, the materials and design are a non-contest win for the i8. 991 is a $140 with an interior and materials from a $50K Cayenne/Boxster.

I don't like how the car looks... enlightened

--

JimFlat6:

CH says that a Porsche 991 owner would be happy with it. Suddenly the 991 looks very dated.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29907

The i8 raises some questions for the luxury sports car marketplace.... such as.... At what point will the market reject the 991 shape and mechanicals as too old fashioned for the money?  Did Porsche waste time and resources on the limited production 918 when they could have developed a new $140K modern era sports car for 991 buyers?

Well, his summary tells what I need to know: the car lacks the precision of a "normal" sportscar...

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

what? you don't like a turbocharged Mini Cooper engine with 100% fake engine sound created by the stereos speakers? tongue.png  can you select which car you what to sound like? Ferrari V8? Audi V10? Porsche flat-6? Aston V12?1325269639981rolleyes.gif

... I think you can get an optional upgraded speedo that will show 50km/h more than the real speed so you think you are going faster than you really are too Smiley

....but a game console is cheaper smiley

--

"Form follows function"

This car needs a proper engine and bodywork and then it could be a 911 alternative

In 20 years you'll all be proclaiming the 911 EE-S is so amazing.. Just like manual -> PDK, NA -> hybrid/electric is coming and you will all learn to love the bom... er, technology. Resistance is futile.

Not sure about the i8 yet, but couple weeks ago I test drove the i3 for the first time, having missed the chance at LA Autoshow and CES, and strangely I liked it. Almost tempted to order one until I was told they already have a bunch of preorders and likely a year wait on them.

--

Whoopsy:

Not sure about the i8 yet, but couple weeks ago I test drove the i3 for the first time, having missed the chance at LA Autoshow and CES, and strangely I liked it. Almost tempted to order one until I was told they already have a bunch of preorders and likely a year wait on them.

I liked the i3 here at the Denver show also, until I learned that it's Front Wheel Drive.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I just happened to see a BMW i3 10 minutes ago... not the most pleasing to look at though IMO enlightened

--

Carlos from Spain:

I just happened to see a BMW i3 10 minutes ago... not the most pleasing to look at though IMO enlightened

--

Call it what it is. Ugly.  Who in BMW has been drinking up Pontiac Aztec water? Smiley  For a company that screams to the world about its design and green ethos, they have created a new form of mobile visual pollution.SmileySmiley

Had for some days the new Tesla S P85 +.

Just a few pics to share with you. Maybe not a beauty but incredible acceleration. From 30 to 100 km/h would beat nearly every car. 

You have to drive once such a car - totally different feeling.

DSC02862.JPG

DSC02874.JPG

DSC02885.JPG

DSC02876.JPG

DSC02880.JPG

DSC02872.JPG

DSC02873.JPG

DSC02879.JPG

DSC02878.JPG

DSC02881.JPG

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Not sure about the Tesla interior yet, compared with the i3 it's still ways to go at almost double the price. That screen while big, still seems like it's shoehorned into place, doesn't look integrated.

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I liked the i3 here at the Denver show also, until I learned that it's Front Wheel Drive.

Actually it is not, the electric motor drives the rear wheels. You might´ve mistaken it with that new A-/B-class rival from BMW that is their first car that features FWD. Smiley

I haven´t exactly made my mind up about the i3 but it is definitely an achievement to bring that amount of technology into a series-production car at such a price point. Quite an impressive effort. On the other side I keep wondering whether there are other options to provide an electric vehicle within an existing production range. 

ALDO:

Just a few pics to share with you. Maybe not a beauty but incredible acceleration. From 30 to 100 km/h would beat nearly every car. 

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to drive that car. Still a bit irritated about the interior and built quality... but happy that they are successful with it.

The i8 is indeed a very cool car.. Like CH says, when's the last time anyone put a concept car up for sale? This thing looks very concept inside and out and it has the tech to back it all up. As a styling thing, I would ONLY be able to get one in black due to that busy rear... but I hope to see pics of it in black soon. 

As for the 911 and  Porsche development concerns, I don't think at all that this i8 will pose any danger to the future of the 911 series. It is a cult classic and in a different market than the i8. Furthermore, who's to say Porsche won't adapt and make the 911 more tech and hybrid in the future. After all they are very hard at work to come up with their own hybrid interpretation (Porsche Intelligence Engineering) and I don't see any reason why this tech and the 918 tech won't trickle down to the 911 to keep it fresh and cutting edge.

I give BMW credit for bringing this new I series on the markets.. It's quite daring but possibly very lucrative. I would like to see an i5 soon that will be able to become Germany's Taxi.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Ferdie:
    ALDO:

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to drive that car. Still a bit irritated about the interior and built quality... but happy that they are successful with it.

The built quality is far from current european luxury car manufactures.

The car has lot of small, but nervy, things:
    - google navigation - but without 3g - no navigation
    - lot of noise when driving on highway
    - computer screen isn´t light censored rusher time controlled - bad when driving in tunnel

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

I was driving the Tesla Roadster as well as the S P85+ - both cars performance is incredible. Didn't miss anything from the power track! But as Aldo says - lots of small things to improve - also build quality (sheet-gaps, etc.) is not there yet. Lookwise - I think the comparison picture with the Panamera shows that the car can easily play in this league. 

The i8 - seen it once in flesh and it was looking like a prototype car... very futuristic. Looks a bit to much plastic and not worthy enough for a 120k€ car. If it would look a bit more valuable or be a bit less expensive I think I could think about getting one. 

I'm not sure I could get beyond the range anxiety associated with these performance milk-floats. I know someone has to be the trailblazer to propel technology forward, I'm just not sure it's me? (from the person who resisted iPad until it's 3rd generation then wondered how I did without it - then realized I don't need to be connected to the internet all the fricking time!)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

I will buy such a car when the earth runs out of petroleum, which I don't think it is any time soon.

Alternatively, I could use my motorbike, bicycle or public transport, if I wanted to go economy.

--

"Form follows function"

ALDO:

The built quality is far from current european luxury car manufactures.

The car has lot of small, but nervy, things:
    - google  ...

You lost me right there.

But, seriously, this is why you need the navigation data stored on board, because, if it's dependent on the cell network, you can lose it when you most need it. Maybe not in Europe, but certainly in parts of the US.

ALDO:

The HUF house looks good in the background Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Tesla have no adaptive cruise control and lane change assist, these are big misses on that type of vehicle these days.

Gnil:
    ALDO:

The HUF house looks good in the background Smiley

Thnx - we love it! But it is not HUF ;)

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Atzporsche:

The i8 is indeed a very cool car.. Like CH says, when's the last time anyone put a concept car up for sale? This thing looks very concept inside and out and it has the tech to back it all up. As a styling thing, I would ONLY be able to get one in black due to that busy rear... but I hope to see pics of it in black soon. 

As for the 911 and  Porsche development concerns, I don't think at all that this i8 will pose any danger to the future of the 911 series. It is a cult classic and in a different market than the i8. Furthermore, who's to say Porsche won't adapt and make the 911 more tech and hybrid in the future. After all they are very hard at work to come up with their own hybrid interpretation (Porsche Intelligence Engineering) and I don't see any reason why this tech and the 918 tech won't trickle down to the 911 to keep it fresh and cutting edge.

I give BMW credit for bringing this new I series on the markets.. It's quite daring but possibly very lucrative. I would like to see an i5 soon that will be able to become Germany's Taxi.

Atz, I totally agree - BMW should be given some kudos for finding a new and uniquely interesting design language to accompany their new i-eco division, and as you noted essentially producing the concept I saw in Frankfurt in 2011.   Agree that this is not a 911 competitor, but - for the many 911 buyers who are essentially buying the image and do not need that last 20% of performance, the i8 could be an interesting option for similar money.  Certainly if you had the two parked side by side, there is no question which car will get the most attention!  

I will also be interested from our Germany-based members how the i8 scores on that all-important "social acceptance" score…. smiley  Will people give thumbs up because your i8 is so green, or the opposite because it looks like a typical planet-killing supercar??? 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Atzporsche:

As a styling thing, I would ONLY be able to get one in black due to that busy rear... but I hope to see pics of it in black soon. 

How about grey Smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

ALDO:

Thnx - we love it! But it is not HUF ;)

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Looks very good anyway ( and similar to RUF ) Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763478 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435939 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257767 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82134 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872812 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808297 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM