Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

LaFerrari video

The first couple of LaFerrari reviews are starting to show up.

Here's EVO's video

http://youtu.be/9fKepcm5hm4

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Re: LaFerrari video

And Autocar's video

http://youtu.be/CaC3jJgtDOE

--

Suzy

Wow.

@FUTCH, I am going to eat all my words against the LaFerrari right now. You are going to have a  truly mental machine. kiss Good stuff.

The cars looks a lot better dynamically than those static pictures we have been seeing.

It also looks to be faster than the P1. Which kinds makes the P1 stuck in no mans land. If one wants a everyday usable hyper car, the 918 is a no brainer. If one wants a mental hyper car, the LaFerrari is the one to get. Not to mention the LaFerrari looks  bespoke enough, outside of a souped up engine, nothing on the car reminds one of anything other Ferrari, and seems like it isn't sharing anything else with other cars. 

It is also a properly engineered hybrid, with properly tuned regen braking, not the patch job McLaren throw together with the P1.

I can safely say the 918 is the only analog car among the 3, It's the only one with a analog gauge!!!  That's analog enough for me.

It also seems Ferrari will be making at least 500 1/499 cars, the one they are thrashing is labeled 1/499, and I don;t think any sane customers will let those guys drive theirs, so we know there will be at least 500 of them haha.

This could very well be my first Ferrari, if I fancy the need to acquire one. I like it that much, it jumped the queue over the Enzo on my list.

--

Indeed this car is insane!!!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Looks like it has the same HVAC knobs of the other Ferraris and the same infotainment buttons but other than that everything else looks unique...  Why do they write it "1\499" and not "1/499" like everywhere else?  lol

keithos27:

Looks like it has the same HVAC knobs of the other Ferraris and the same infotainment buttons but other than that everything else looks unique...  Why do they write it "1\499" and not "1/499" like everywhere else?  lol

I've been asking myself the exact same thing!! Smiley

--

Suzy

Whoopsy:

Wow...

It also looks to be faster than the P1.

Smiley

the coming  direct comparos will determine that 

from these early reviews, it is reassuring that the three hypercars are delivering subjectively what the market expects from each brand's  DNA 

Could be the digital speedo. 

Seems the numbers jump up faster than the one in the P1. 

LaFerrari doesn't really makes you think of of any car in Ferrari's range, it is it's own car, same for the 918. But the P1 just reminds you of the 12C inside and out. Not twins, but sibling for sure while the other 2 are just distance cousins among their brand.

--

Whoopsy:

On paper at least it is a lot faster than the P1

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Ferrari is faster on paper, but the fastest will be Porsche;)

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Right now it is. LaFerrari didn't set a time, McLaren has one but won't release it.

From rest to a big chunk chunk up the speedo, the 918 rules, the other 2 takes over at higher speed. 

Just ran a record marathon, but nah, didn't feel like showing the video or giving out the time. Trust me, I am the fastest.

--

Whoopsy:
    kudryavchik:

Right now it is. LaFerrari didn't set a time, McLaren has one but won't release it.

From rest to a big chunk chunk up the speedo, the 918 rules, the other 2 takes over at higher speed. 

Just ran a record marathon, but nah, didn't feel like showing the video or giving out the time. Trust me, I am the fastest.

))))) Ran with new nikes around nurburgring - less than 5 minutes, breathing well))) Record, video - sd card broken))

--

sportcars-history.com

Whoopsy:

LaFerrari doesn't really makes you think of of any car in Ferrari's range, it is it's own car, same for the 918. But the P1 just reminds you of the 12C inside and out. Not twins, but sibling for sure while the other 2 are just distance cousins among their brand.

I agree the P1 has too many similarities with the 12C, I don't agree though that the P1 seems to be the slower of the two. Judging on the journo's reactions after their respective drives, it seems they were more awestruck by the P1 than the LaFerrari, imo.
    What does seem clear is, the 918 doesn't get mentioned too much when comparing both, it seems to be in a league of its own, be it good or bad.

On the other hand, I do feel both the P1 and LaFerrari are horrid designs, while the 918 is gracious and balanced in its design. As to which one I'd like to own, I really can't make my mind up, they all strike a different chord...

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porsche made 2 mistakes in terms of interaction with journos.

1. They gave unfinished cars.

2. On the second run they limited the speed with turbo s in front.

--

sportcars-history.com

Porker:

I agree the P1 has too many similarities with the 12C, I don't agree though that the P1 seems to be the slower of the two. Judging on the journo's reactions after their respective drives, it seems they were more awestruck by the P1 than the LaFerrari, imo.
    What does seem clear is, the 918 doesn't get mentioned too much when comparing both, it seems to be in a league of its own, be it good or bad.

On the other hand, I do feel both the P1 and LaFerrari are horrid designs, while the 918 is gracious and balanced in its design. As to which one I'd like to own, I really can't make my mind up, they all strike a different chord...

When Porsche announced the 918, there was no target, they were the only one saying they are doing another halo car. Their initial performance target was quite 'low'. They were also targeting a different league, going for a everyday hyper car rather than a all out monster.

McLaren and Ferrari on the other have the 918 as their target. They know what will be coming from Porsche and do their own thing. 

Ferrari is expert at hyper car game, so i's quite easy for them. McLaren on the other hand can still be consider a new comer despite the F1, they are also constrained by money, so they had no choice but to build on the 12C platform. But since these 2 are F1 rivals, their focus is more on all out track performance. The resulting cars shows.

But consider the whole performance envelope, from all out top speed, cornering, engine output, track performance, road performance, engine efficiency, fuel efficiency, battery performance, which of the 3 takes the crown? Arguably the 918. It has the complete package and it's deficiency isn't that far off the other 2 yet it blows them away on it's strengths. 

--

Whoopsy:

Wow.

@FUTCH, I am going to eat all my words against the LaFerrari right now. You are going to have a  truly mental machine. kiss Good stuff.

The cars looks a lot better dynamically than those static pictures we have been seeing.

It also looks to be faster than the P1. Which kinds makes the P1 stuck in no mans land. If one wants a everyday usable hyper car, the 918 is a no brainer. If one wants a mental hyper car, the LaFerrari is the one to get. Not to mention the LaFerrari looks  bespoke enough, outside of a souped up engine, nothing on the car reminds one of anything other Ferrari, and seems like it isn't sharing anything else with other cars. 

It is also a properly engineered hybrid, with properly tuned regen braking, not the patch job McLaren throw together with the P1.

I can safely say the 918 is the only analog car among the 3, It's the only one with a analog gauge!!!  That's analog enough for me.

It also seems Ferrari will be making at least 500 1/499 cars, the one they are thrashing is labeled 1/499, and I don;t think any sane customers will let those guys drive theirs, so we know there will be at least 500 of them haha.

This could very well be my first Ferrari, if I fancy the need to acquire one. I like it that much, it jumped the queue over the Enzo on my list.

Can't really come to an objective conclusion without a real side-by-side test. It's impossible to tell anything about the performance of the cars from videos.

I think the LF should be somewhat disqualified from discussion of which to get though being that it's pretty much impossible to get one. If you wanted a mental hypercar, the LF actually isn't even a option IMO.

I'm looking forward to the final test of these cars. I think all three offer something unique and rank at the top in certain areas.

I love the 918 E-mode and usability, the P1 looks and performance, and the LF sound and performance.

I think we'll find out that the P1 is the best on the track, the LF the most exciting with very close 2nd in performance, and the 918 the most usable and interesting in the real world. I really do think having the option of pure electric with some good range on the 918 is awesome. I think I really would use it all the time.

Whoopsy:
    they are also constrained by money, so they had no choice but to build on the 12C platform. But since these 2 are F1 rivals, their focus is more on all out track performance. The resulting cars shows.

Is there any real proof though that the P1 platform is a compromise? If it does in fact hold its own or best the LF, wouldn't it be proof that the platform is superior?

Did you hear that engine and gearbox music Smiley Smiley Smiley What an amazing car, this thing sounds like an F1, never heard a car in video sounding so good ! If I were in the market for one of the three, this would be my choise, most powerful, looks good, must ride like dream and sounds so exotic and mean in a proper way,

J.Seven

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Did you hear that engine and gearbox music Smiley Smiley Smiley What an amazing car, this thing sounds like an F1, never heard a car in video sounding so good ! If I were in the market for one of the three, this would be my choise, most powerful, looks good, must ride like dream and sounds so exotic and mean in a proper way,

J.Seven

That exactly how I think about it. Smiley

The P1 is just like any McLaren unbelievably fugly and the Porsche is a very beautiful car (also the best daily usable), but I hate the fact that it can drive in full electric mode. That is one step too far for me, in terms of a performance hypercar.  It simply is too "green" for me.... 

--

Suzy

Personally, I would buy both the LF and the 918 because they are so different in their approach and in their aesthetics but both so special in their own way.

If you can afford to spend more than €1million on a car, then you will definitely be able to spend another one million, so as not to have second thoughts.

But I would pass on the P1. Three is a bit too much smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I bet that instrumentation testing will show the Ferrari and the McLaren to be considerably quicker than the Porsche.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Whoopsy:

LaFerrari doesn't really makes you think of of any car in Ferrari's range, it is it's own car

I dunno, from certain angles it reminds me of a larger 458... has similar overhangs/proportions (just stretched out given the V12).  It's a stretch, I'm just saying I see similarities in it... it's not as obvious as say the 12C to the 650S.

The front styling is not successful IMO. The rear and the side views are top.

--

"Form follows function"

noone1:

Is there any real proof though that the P1 platform is a compromise? If it does in fact hold its own or best the LF, wouldn't it be proof that the platform is superior?

I never said the 12C platform was bad, in fact, as a owner I have been saying good things about it like forever.

But with the P1 at 7 figures, do one really want it to be based on a car costing 1/4 of the price? No matter how much of the parts were modified?  It's like Hermes bling out a Lindy or Evelyne handbag and and charged as much as a crocodile skinned Birkin, would you go for them  or the Birkin? Not saying the other 2 bags were not nice ,but I would still go for the Birkin every time. 

It's the perception that it's a compromised product, it may not be true but sometimes that little detail is already enough.

If McLaren is proud of the 12C platform, they would not go out of their way to try and convince people the P1 is NOT based of the 12C. Kind of useless as when the 2 cars' X-ray photo are compared side by side, there is no mistaken otherwise. 

--

noone1:
    I think we'll find out that the P1 is the best on the track, the LF the most exciting with very close 2nd in performance, and the 918 the most usable and interesting in the real world. I really do think having the option of pure electric with some good range on the 918 is awesome. I think I really would use it all the time.

That pretty much is the reason I picked the 918 over the P1.

--

Let's not forget the fact that anyone who would have been offered to buy a LF would have... So really you are choosing between the 918 and the P1. Personally I would have bought neither, but would have waited for prices to drop 30-40% in the next 2-3 years...

Whoopsy:

LaFerrari has typical interior graphics of their other models and 918 interior looks like its sibs , esp now that the Macan comes with the 918 MFS steering wheel, which will also be on every other car they make next model  , and the 918 seats have  been seen in the GT3RS

one item not so thrilling about La Ferrari in these videos is the lower  rpm range engine note that will be the everyday/around town experience ..close your eyes as a passenger and the low pitched relaxed percussive thumpathumpathumpa sound in the first three minutes of the EVO review sounds more like a 6 decades- old Chevy Corvette V8 small block than typical high strung  Ferrari exoticar motorcycle -engine  thrum until it hits its screaming stride at higher RPMs

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9tpmLPKSM

keithos27:
    Whoopsy:

LaFerrari doesn't really makes you think of of any car in Ferrari's range, it is it's own car

I dunno, from certain angles it reminds me of a larger 458... has similar overhangs/proportions (just stretched out given the V12).  It's a stretch, I'm just saying I see similarities in it... it's not as obvious as say the 12C to the 650S.

in the EVO video, reviewer says it drives like a bigger , faster 458 ...I would have expected him to say it's in another  world vs a sibling 1/4 the price 

Chris Harris's review seem to imply the P1 was in another league compared not just to its  sibling, but to any road car he had ever driven on a track

I await  his three way comparo of the trifecta .. same track,same day ..if it hopefully happens

MKW:
    keithos27:
    Whoopsy:

in the EVO video, reviewer says it drives like a bigger , faster 458 ...I would have expected him to say it's in another  world vs a sibling 1/4 the price 

Chris Harris's review seem to imply the P1 was in another league compared not just to its  sibling, but to any road car he had ever driven on a track

I await  his three way comparo of the trifecta .. same track,same day ..if it hopefully happens

They all said that they were blown away by the Ferrari and they have driven the P1 already.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Interesting both the Autocar and Evo drivers referenced driving similarities with the 458 difference being power and transmission. More importantly, both said the LF was easy to drive which I have not heard about the P1. In other words, LF despite having 950 hp can be easily driven by buyers and they will be able to enjoy the 950hp which to me is a huge plus.

The big plus for the 918 is the cost and it is also a convertible. As far as performance among the three, at this level it makes no difference. Buyers will never be able to realize the full potential of the car. What is far more important, is usability and LF and the 918 seem to have the edge.

One final point. Notice that the EVO driver was able to get the car close to 240km while Autocar driver only 185 on the same track?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM