Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

POLL: What do you think Porsche should prioritize on

As stated above, I'd be interested to start a general thread to gauge the global opinion of people about where and what Porsche should focus on in the near future.. and perhaps also distant future. This idea really just comes from the 718 post and news, which I consider a positive development by the way. 

I will start off by saying the first LeMans needs to drive in a win for Porsche. If not this year, than pressure is on in 2015. 

Second, a new GT2 to round of the 991 series (perhaps it'll come as a GT3 RS as stated because the Turbo S is too good) 

Third, a 2 door front engined coupe with Panamera architecture and engines but own styling. 

Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Re: POLL: What do you think Porsche should prioritize on

1. A 928 successor. Like you said, front-engined two door GT with 4 seats and appropriate engines.

2. 718. Small, light roadster.

3. More breathing space for the Boxster/Cayman platform. In other words.... No more base and S versions of the 911. Make the S the base model and offer a decent factory powerkit for people that want a bit more.

that's all....  indecision

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

1. 928

2. 991GT2/RS

3. 960

i want to see Porsche focus more on the high end of sports cars. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

A new design language.

Something that modernizes the aesthetics of a Porsche for the next 20 years. The 981 and 918 have some useful elements (headlight shape, e.g.), but what I'm thinking of is something more visionary, like the 928 was back in 1976. Or like the i8 could be or could have been for BMW.

So yes, number 1 is a 928, but by 928 I don't mean a front engined 2-door GT, but a visionary design that will still look timeless after 35 years.

• New 928
    • RWD Turbo/S/RS
    • Keep the 911 profile, of course, but make the car for fresh and modern in its external detailing
    • Panamera 5 seat and Estate
    • No more mainstream competitors. Abandon plans for a small Panamera

--

"Form follows function"

I would personally like to see is a baby Panamera, Audi A4 shell but using Porsche suspension(not just dampers but complete linkages) and boxer engines from new models, turbo 6cyl  from Carrera 991.2 with and RWD option even for the top model

GT2RS Smiley

• Stick to their core principles of individuality, passion and intelligence
    • Keep the 911 platform ahead of the competition
    • A simple/affordable 968 ClubSport concept using the Cayman
    • A 928 replacement / Panamera coupe

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

lor:

I would personally like to see is a baby Panamera, Audi A4 shell but using Porsche suspension(not just dampers but complete linkages) and boxer engines from new models, turbo 6cyl  from Carrera 991.2 with and RWD option even for the top model

No Subarus in your market?

Haha there are , I imagine it more of an M3 replacement.Though I dont think that is what Porsche should prioritize on

1. 991 Club Sport (std Carrera engine with slight bump to 350 - 370 Hp) , without all the electro gizmos (leave that for the Carrera), tartan interior , 19" wheels and  possibly 100 Kg lighter. IROC PTS color palette. Priced same as the standard Carrera. 

2. A nice  928 successor 

3. Panamera Gran Turismo , bring it over. 

Great responses so far, wow many want a 928 successor! I didn't think that. But I agree that this could be a very bold visionary design a la original 928 to see what's possible. It'll sell either way cause they can make good looking cars and heck the markets have changed considerably. The 928 only died because it was produced in the wrong era... the market wasn't ready for it and then the oil crisis hit. Mind you the 928 GTS was the fastest production car on the road for a while and it had it all in terms of comfort and luxury!! 

--

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

m4ever:

2. A nice  928 successor 

These seem like sort of the same thing, but since you put them as separate points, I assume you see them as different cars, so what exactly is the conception of these and how would they differ from each other?

I think with 3. he meant that station wagon concept

GALLERY HERE:  http://www.automobilesreview.com/pictures/porsche/2013-panamera-sport-turismo-concept-car/

--

versus a 928 successor..

--

Atzporsche:

GALLERY HERE:  http://www.automobilesreview.com/pictures/porsche/2013-panamera-sport-turismo-concept-car/

--

Thanks. Did not see these pics for some time. Funny, now it looks like a streched out Macan. Lots of design elements there which went into the Macan too.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

1) A 928 successor, based on the Panamera. And, dear Porsche, don't even think of getting rid of V8 engines. I will NOT buy this with a downsized V6 like the one in the facelifted Panamera S. My dream car is a 928-like Panamera Cabrio with the current Pana GTS engine.

2) A 992 with: more torque, more exterior colors, a MUCH better and more luxurious interior. I will not pay 140k € again and sit in the same interior like in the 4-Cyl Macan.

--

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

I would like to see the 992 reduce its size (and weight)and become more sporty and the 2-door touring sporty car can be assumed instead by a shortened Panamera Coupe with a fresh face.

718 would be a great addition, if they focus on fun to drive and not just inexpensive entry to porsche brand.  Would love to see an option for manual gearbox and steering with great handling and excitement (even if outright speed does not encroach on 991 or an improved 981.2 S).  Could be the basis of inexpensive track car also, with more visibility at Porsche Clubs and track events.  Will bring in younger buyers and be good for business, even if these cars have lower margin - it could create Porsche lovers for life.

960 should be light with RWD option, Flat-8, great steering, etc.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

apias:
    m4ever:

2. A nice  928 successor 

These seem like sort of the same thing, but since you put them as separate points, I assume you see them as different cars, so what exactly is the conception of these and how would they differ from each other?

Apias -  I referred to the Panamera Sport Turismo concept (that I erroneously called Gran Turismo - thank you Atzporsche for correcting me). This is in my opinion what the Panamera shoud have been from the very beginning. More distinctive and a more unique selling proposal than the Panamera which although delivered on performance and dynamics lacked luggage space and 5 seats sort of Ferrari FF by Porsche but in a sedan form.

1. Making the 911 much more superior to the competition, power-wise and performance-wise, incl. a new and improved interior which is worth the money the 911 costs now. I would also like to see a 991 Turbo R, some sort of heavier AWD version of a possible 991 GT2 RS.

2. 928 successor...a Coupe of some kind with full sized four seats and a huge luggage room without the "bulkiness" of the current Panamera and without the weight (1.8 tons at max).

3. Lighter (at least 150 kg) Cayenne with more competitive performance, including a 450-500 hp high performance Diesel and a Cayenne Turbo R with 600 hp and the chassis/steering setup of the GTS.

4. "960"...a more exotic approach to the 911, not heavier than 991 Turbo S (preferably 100 kg lighter).

Everything else, I couldn't care less, sorry. I do not think a 718 is a good idea.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Grant:

I would like to see the 992 reduce its size (and weight)and become more sporty and the 2-door touring sporty car can be assumed instead by a shortened Panamera Coupe with a fresh face.

Grant, you know that this isn't going to happen. Safety/crash/pedestrian crash protection standards forbid it.

718 would be a great addition, if they focus on fun to drive and not just inexpensive entry to porsche brand.  

I would agree if the 718 would cost 90k EUR, weights 1000 kg and has 350 hp with almost no comfort options (no electric windows, no A/C, no noise damping material, no HiFi system, etc). Would you still buy it?

Would love to see an option for manual gearbox and steering with great handling and excitement (even if outright speed does not encroach on 991 or an improved 981.2 S).  

Many people have already issues "handling" the current 991 steering and manual is dead, get over it.

Could be the basis of inexpensive track car also, with more visibility at Porsche Clubs and track events.  Will bring in younger buyers and be good for business, even if these cars have lower margin - it could create Porsche lovers for life.

"Inexpensive" is not good for Porsche. Not now, after the Macan and all.

960 should be light with RWD option, Flat-8, great steering, etc.

I disagree. Modern AWD systems don't weight much anymore, they add maximum 50 kg of weight (not really important on a 600+ hp car) but provide huge advantages in driving dynamics, especially with the current advancements in AWD systems and programming and also incl. AWS. I agree however that a 960 shouldn't be heavier than a 991 Turbo S, which could be a challenge.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Atzporsche:

--

I liked it when it showed up but I have to confess that I would never buy it. After a year of Panamera experience, I think this is an amazing product but not what I would drive (anymore). The 991 provides the perfect combination of performance and comfort and whoever needs more room, should opt for the Cayenne instead. I never thought that I would say this but the Panamera isn't really my thing (anymore). Not a sedan person, sorry.

--

TomSilver:

1) A 928 successor, based on the Panamera. And, dear Porsche, don't even think of getting rid of V8 engines. I will NOT buy this with a downsized V6 like the one in the facelifted Panamera S. My dream car is a 928-like Panamera Cabrio with the current Pana GTS engine.

A 928 successor can be based on the (next gen?) Panamera but should be (visually) smaller. The Panamera looks too bulky, I also want a sportier and more fresh design for a coupe. I agree, I would never ever buy a Cayenne or Panamera with a supped up V6 engine, no matter how powerful. This is a head thing, Porsche needs to be very careful here. A V8 is a must in the upper class but apparently Porsche doesn't seem to understand this. They will pay a hefty price for the ignorance because I will never buy a V6 for over 100k EUR. Never. The 911 is an exception because of the boxer engine concept but thats it.

2) A 992 with: more torque, more exterior colors, a MUCH better and more luxurious interior. I will not pay 140k € again and sit in the same interior like in the 4-Cyl Macan.

I agree, also more standard options. In now way can the weight increase and minimum power for the 992 should be 400 hp on the base model. 

--

RC:

I agree, I would never ever buy a Cayenne or Panamera with a supped up V6 engine, no matter how powerful. This is a head thing, Porsche needs to be very careful here. A V8 is a must in the upper class but apparently Porsche doesn't seem to understand this. They will pay a hefty price for the ignorance because I will never buy a V6 for over 100k EUR. Never. The 911 is an exception because of the boxer engine concept but thats it.

RC, do have any information about the sales of the Panamera facelift, especially the downsized V6 Turbo model? I will never buy such an expensive car with that kind of engine, but maybe I'm in the minority and the facelift sells like hot cakes. I asked my salesman about this but got a very diplomatic answer.

--

911 S Cabrio (2013), Panamera GTS (2013)

I heard from a couple of German dealers that since the V6 introduction, the car sells very bad. angry 

I don't have precise numbers but let me give you an example: My dealer has a facelifted new Panamera 4S in his showroom with a price tag of 148k EUR. Would you buy it? I know I wouldn't.

--

Grant:

718 would be a great addition, if they focus on fun to drive and not just inexpensive entry to porsche brand.  Would love to see an option for manual gearbox and steering with great handling and excitement (even if outright speed does not encroach on 991 or an improved 981.2 S).  Could be the basis of inexpensive track car also, with more visibility at Porsche Clubs and track events.  Will bring in younger buyers and be good for business, even if these cars have lower margin - it could create Porsche lovers for life.

Smiley +1

It wouldn't be a mainstream model, but a worthwhile investment in terms of the brand image. 

--

fritz

RC:

I heard from a couple of German dealers that since the V6 introduction, the car sells very bad. angry

I don't have precise numbers but let me give you an example: My dealer has a facelifted new Panamera 4S in his showroom with a price tag of 148k EUR. Would you buy it? I know I wouldn't.

Sales here have been a big flop [compared to the high-selling pre-facelift model] as well and the Middle East was one of the Panamera's biggest markets. The only facelifted Panameras that sell these days are the base V6 or GTS models; I've never seen a new S or Turbo model on the streets since the introduction. Pricing is also pretty lofty at 30900 KWD (around 80000 EUR) for an option-free V6 RWD model. For that kind of money, I'd rather get a loaded Cayenne S with more space, versatility, capability and performance... and it seems that a lot of buyers here are doing the same.

I'm guessing/hoping that a downsized, turbocharged V8 [4.0L twin-turbo, maybe?] will make a comeback in the next-generation Panamera and Cayenne models. Hopefully Porsche will have learned a lesson in their engine and pricing structure this time around.

Back to the point however, I believe Porsche should focus on the following products:

• A 928 successor: a front-engined coupe positioned between the 911 and Panamera.
    • A lighter, more cohesively-designed Panamera.
    • An entry-level roadster [the 718 might be the ticket].
    • A halo model between the 911 Turbo and 918 Spyder. I feel that Porsche needs a proper performance benchmark that emphasizes their sporting roots and origins and reiterates its identity in a time when Cayennes and Macans, or the narrow-minded they-shouldn't-be-Porsches Porsches are defining the brand. While I am one of the biggest enthusiasts of both vehicles, I believe this halo car should be the pinnacle of the range rather than an otherwise nondescript 911 Turbo.

Porsche's current range is terrific; the Boxster is a fantastic car that deserves every merit thrown at it, its Cayman platform mate provides a brilliant 911 alternative, the 911 itself remains the automotive icon it was, the Panamera gave the staid sedan segment a proper kick in the pants, the Cayenne got better and better with time and now the Macan is already proving its worth to the brand. With the right mentality and focus on origin and quality rather than numbers and volume, I believe Porsche can expand and still maintain the mystique and luster that have enthralled all of us with it in the first place.

Let's see what the future brings forth from Weissach.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Porsche sold 22.000 Panameras in 2013. Who bought those, since nobody wants one? 

When we comment we sometimes tend to generalize from the specific, as no one of us here has the full picture.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    Grant:

718 would be a great addition, if they focus on fun to drive and not just inexpensive entry to porsche brand.  

I would agree if the 718 would cost 90k EUR, weights 1000 kg and has 350 hp with almost no comfort options (no electric windows, no A/C, no noise damping material, no HiFi system, etc). Would you still buy it?

That is more expensive (and performance) than 981, not sure that's what Porsche has in mind for an entry-level car.  But yes, I would consider paying that price (which would be under $90k USD with current scheme of Euros to USD) if the car's appearance, quality, and driving feel were to my liking.

BTW, someone once weighed all the parts and the wind-up window mechanism was heavier than electric windows.  I have neither in my 911 - just a leather strap with holes from the 911R  to fit over an aluminum bulb and  hold the lightweight window at a variety of heights.  Works great...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

reginos:

Porsche sold 22.000 Panameras in 2013. Who bought those, since nobody wants one? 

When we comment we sometimes tend to generalize from the specific, as no one of us here has the full picture.

I remember that before the Panamera was introduced there were doubts expressed here about whether it would ever achieve the declared sales target of 20000 units/annum. If it is selling 22000 /annum well into the life of the current model, then I wouldn't call it a flop. 

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776310 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441234 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262502 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260703 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85025 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5452 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880250 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815312 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM