Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 718 - new entry level model

MKW:

i am interested in this car if it weighs 500 lbs less than a Boxster, is shorter by at least a foot or more and is powered by a normally aspirated high revving boxer  4 putting out no more than 250 hp 

I think the claim is only 120kg less (264 pounds)

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    MKW:

i am interested in this car if it weighs 500 lbs less than a Boxster, is shorter by at least a foot or more and is powered by a normally aspirated high revving boxer  4 putting out no more than 250 hp 

I think the claim is only 120kg less (264 pounds)

hmmm........then it probably wont be what I wish it SHOULD  be ...light and spright ! 

In that case....boooo for even thinking of using the 718 moniker 

AutoBILD reported this and it went viral. There is no official confirmation.

A "basic" entry level roadster could make sense but only if this car is a very basic car without much comfort and extras. A car for the enthusiast at an entry level price tag but I still think this is wrong from my point of view.

If Porsche wants to build SUVs and sedans too, they better make the fastest SUVs and sedans on the planet (which so far, has worked well but they are loosing the edge here). An entry level roadster would be a mistake in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

IMO this is a typical AutoBild article. They already re-invented the 914 some years ago. Serious German websites like Auto Motor & Sport and SportAuto posted nothing about it, no tweets from them as well.

And the power figures with 286 hp from the base engine and 360 hp with a 2.5 liter engine just seem to be invented as the car should be placed below the 981 and has more power than a Boxster / Boxster GTS according to the article.

If AutoBild speaks the truth for whatever reason and there will be a low entry mid-engine Porsche it is fine for me. Having a flat 4 seems possible as the upcoming Boxster/Cayman is likely to have one, too, but I think the engine will be around 250 hp to keep some distance and create a room for a S model. Weight could be down some more kilos blush

RC:

AutoBILD reported this and it went viral. There is no official confirmation.

A "basic" entry level roadster could make sense but only if this car is a very basic car without much comfort and extras. A car for the enthusiast at an entry level price tag but I still think this is wrong from my point of view.

If Porsche wants to build SUVs and sedans too, they better make the fastest SUVs and sedans on the planet (which so far, has worked well but they are loosing the edge here). An entry level roadster would be a mistake in my opinion.

if it is based on Boxster chassis, it is a fail, as any car based on it is automatically too big and heavy for this role .

Some or many of us wish for a 550 inspired  Elise sized  very quick open Porsche roadster for winding roads that we can take to redline beyond first gear w/o getting a speeding ticket , not a track day toy . Let  modified used 987 gen Caymans cont that role.

Some or many of us wish for a 550 inspired  Elise sized  very quick open Porsche roadster for winding roads that we can take to redline beyond first gear w/o getting a speeding ticket , not a track day toy . Let  modified used 987 gen Caymans cont that role.

Would be great fun.  Manual steering and gearbox to go with very light weight and NA flat4 revving to 8k would be such a fun car.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

Would be great fun.  Manual steering and gearbox to go with very light weight and NA flat4 revving to 8k would be such a fun car.

they disappointed many in 1995 with what the Boxster actually turned out to be...are they gonna  do that once again ?!

Guys Porsche has always been a more daily and mass produced car with great engineering and sportiness. Look at the roots... 365, 912, 914, 924, 944... I would absolutely LOVE a new small mid engine Porsche!! They have the history to play it all up in their marketing BS, but in reality we will get a stunning cool and fun to drive car out of it for a reasonable price!! I would totally sign up for one. It has the heritage, stunning engineering and probably look a lot like the 918 coupled with amazing driving characteristics!! YES PLEASE!!! 

Porsche's Priority: 

1. Keep the 911/Boxster on top of segment

2. Win LeMans 

3. Design a 928 successor (based on Panamera) 

4. Win Dakar with Macan 

5. Design 962 AND 718!! 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

If this story is true then IMHO it sadly proves that, in VW's eyes, Porsche is just another brand like Audi.

IMHO we would not have seen another 4 cylinder Porsche (apart from the other awful 914 collaboration that happened with VW a few decades ago) if Porsche had remained independent.

Thanks Wendelin Wiedeking for losing Porsche's independence kiss Now that VW is calling the shots, this is one more betrayal of Ferry Porsche's legacy surprise

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

If this story is true then IMHO it sadly proves that, in VW's eyes, Porsche is just another brand like Audi.

IMHO we would not have seen another 4 cylinder Porsche (apart from the other awful 914 collaboration that happened with VW a few decades ago) if Porsche had remained independent.

Thanks Wendelin Wiedeking for losing Porsche's independence kiss Now that VW is calling the shots, this is one more betrayal of Ferry Porsche's legacy surprise

There have been some fantastic 4 cylinder Porsche cars, some iconic under Ferry Porsche.

924 Carrera GT/GTS/GTR, 944 Turbo/S, 968 Turbo S/Clubsport.

I had the chance to drive 3 of those listed above and they were (are)  as good as anything in the sports car world

--

"Form follows function"

Let us not forget that the 356 had a flat-4 derived from the Beetle...

Porsche was born with four-cylinder engines.

More importantly, what is the profit margin in building this car? They would have to sell a ton of them to justify the ROI. The Boxster hasn't been selling like hot cakes.

reginos:
    easy_rider911:

There have been some fantastic 4 cylinder Porsche cars, some iconic under Ferry Porsche.

I had the chance to drive 3 of those listed above and they were (are)  as good as anything in the sports car world

--

"Form follows function"

Don't forget the 550 and original 718 please.  RSK is my favorite...

rsk.jpg

--

Grant:
    reginos:
    easy_rider911:

--

"Form follows function"

Don't forget the 550 and original 718 please.  RSK is my favorite...

rsk.jpg

Yes,of course I love these cars and for me they  are among the highlights of the Porsche Museum.

I only mentioned 4C models that were concurrent with flat 6 models, just to show that in the past 4C and 6C coexisted, without the 4C being at all disgraced.

--

"Form follows function"

MKW:

any more power, and you need heavier driveline components, brakes, radiators, tires, wheels and you are basically back to square one ...a Boxster !

I suspect manufacturers are  hoping the next trend in sports cars is a market for PREMIUM performing and experiential  small nimble " roots " ones like this , esp to balance corporate average fuel economy mandates .   The increasingly ridiculous other end of the market with million dollar price tags and 1000 hp drivetrains are only really " usable " in downtown London , Monte Carlo and Paris , IMO

Smiley

nberry:

More importantly, what is the profit margin in building this car? They would have to sell a ton of them to justify the ROI. The Boxster hasn't been selling like hot cakes.

A properly equipped Boxster S or Cayman S is in the mid $80K's. Any wonder they're not selling like hot cakes?

reginos:

Yes,of course I love these cars and for me they  are among the highlights of the Porsche Museum.

I only mentioned 4C models that were concurrent with flat 6 models, just to show that in the past 4C and 6C coexisted, without the 4C being at all disgraced.

Gotcha kiss  I have owned two of the 944 Turbo S and those were pretty fast cars!

--

Porsche has all of those VW 4cyl engines to use.  They could build a 718 with 400hp and a  6spd manual that at claimed weight would embarrass any Boxster/Cayman and Base Carerra drivers in straight line accelleration. 

If they put the tach in the center of the instrument pod and use floor hinged pedals and a one piece removable targa top that will be even better.

Why not do that. 

JimFlat6:

Porsche has all of those VW 4cyl engines to use.  They could build a 718 with 400hp and a  6spd manual that at claimed weight would embarrass any Boxster/Cayman and Base Carerra drivers in straight line accelleration. 

If they put the tach in the center of the instrument pod and use floor hinged pedals with a one piece removable targa top that will be even better.

Why not do that. 

I think you just gave the answer yourself ;)

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Hint hint Porsche ---- give it a slightly longer wheelbase than the current Boxster. They know why.kiss

JimFlat6:

Hint hint Porsche ---- give it a slightly longer wheelbase than the current Boxster. They know why.kiss

No, then they'll have to over complicate it with 4 wheel steering...

--

They know why.

And it doesn't pertain to 4w steering, which on a lightweight car would be useless dead weight.

So guess again! smiley

Here's the Autobild article. (click for higher resolution)
    And no... I'm not going to translate it Smiley

--

Suzy

Its got curves and a narrow waist. Perfect! indecision

Porsche needs this car.....to kill off the Boxster.  The Boxster no matter how good it is, is slow selling, has negative cultural baggage and priced with options is too close to the entry 991 Boxster sends no "fun" message to the public.

It would also give 991 owners some "social cover" for buying cars they can never use the abilities off or that are seen as a in your face class statement by those who cant aspire to one.

JimFlat6:

Porsche needs this car.....to kill off the Boxster.  The Boxster no matter how good it is, is slow selling, has negative cultural baggage and priced with options is too close to the entry 991 Boxster sends no "fun" message to the public.

It would also give 991 owners some "social cover" for buying cars they can never use the abilities off or that are seen as a in your face class statement by those who cant aspire to one.

I actually look at it completely different. I can't say the Boxster is slow selling (see them pretty often, contrary to the Cayman) and when I look at what you get for the money, the 991 has become rediculously expensive, hence the fact that I don't even lust after a 991 anymore because of the Boxster. Besides that it simply is a nicer car IMHO. (i will not say that the Boxster is a better car, but surely a nicer one). 

What Porsche needs to do, is to get rid of the current base 991 and base 981. Both cars are completely pointless. 981 with only the 350hp 3.4 engine (400hp for GTS), with optional 25hp powerkit.  991 Carrera or Targa (4) with only the 3.8 engine and 425hp, with an optional factory 25-35hp powerkit for the people that want a bit more. (991 GTS with 475hp, GT3 with 500).

oh.. And come as soon as possible with that 718! i really like the idea of it Smiley

--

Suzy

JimFlat6:

Define slow selling? Do you have the figures?

Last time I checked the 981 figures looked healthy to me. In 2013 Porsche sold 25'500 Boxster/Cayman (117% rise over 2012), compared to 30'000 911. So the demand for the Boxster/Cayman more than doubled in 2013 and it was not far off the 911. I have not seen the numbers year-to-date for 2014. Did it drop massively?

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

For USA 2014 March sales, Boxster sales are down 36% from 2013.

There is no reason for Porsche to keep it, the public doesn't love it and it adds no cache to the Porsche brand. The 911 is a love story while the Boxster began as a 90's dot com car, its time to end it. It creates no dreams, no passion, no desire, its now just there as a lower price alternative to the 991 and that isn't good enough.

So replace it with something new, more fun, more emotional and financially reachable by the public. Porsche has the chance to create a new love story with a 718, something they can never get now from the Boxster.

USA sales for the Boxster were 4503 in 2006.  For Q1 this year its only 933. For the 189 Porsche dealerships in the US the Boxster and Cayman now look like relics past their sales prime. They had a good 2013 year but have now tanked........

With the Macan, Porsche might soon reach a point where their total sales are just 25% sports cars. So a new sports car is needed to inject new passion into the public's perception of the brand, even if just as a part of a pyschological marketing ploy. It would actually help them sell more Macans and that is key to their big goal of selling sell 250,000 plus cars per year.

If you want access to US and Canadian car sales stats go to http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/

Ok. There is a world outside the US and the year has 12 months. You can't just look at March sales and one market.

As for the other reasons, they are purely subjective.

If you kill off the Boxster/Cayman where does the 25'500 customers look for their next car? I don't think they are pleased with the 718 as replacement, nor do I think that all of them want or even can have a 911. So you have lost them to a different brand.

Hence, shelving the Boxster does not make any sense to me. On the contrary, the new 718 entry model will enable the Boxster/Cayman to further grow and develop.

--

JimFlat6:

There is no reason for Porsche to keep it, the public doesn't love it and it adds no cache to the Porsche brand. The 911 is a love story while the Boxster began as a 90's dot com car, its time to end it. It creates no dreams, no passion, no desire, its now just there as a lower price alternative to the 991 and that isn't good enough.

Now you really lost it Smiley Smiley

I believe 99% of the 98x owners on this forum disagree with that rubbish. Or log in to one of the 98x focused forums and tell them that their cars does not give them passion or desire. The fan base around the Boxster is only matched by the one for air-cooled 911s.

--

Its time for something new. In 2013 The Boxster and Cayman got a sales bump from the newest versions, but that sales increase collapsed for 2014 and that is contrary to industry predictions that Boxster sales would be 25% higher this year (2014) over last year. The writing is on the wall.

Keep the making the Boxster and the new 718? Who knows.  Can Porsche make and sell 4 models of sports cars? 960 991, Boxster and the 716? in 2016?? Maybe not. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763994 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436295 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260955 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257889 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808678 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM