Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

UK - hosepipe ban for washing your car!

And you guys all thought it did nothing but rain in the UK (hang on, it DOES!):

http://www.thames-water.com/UK/region/en...Download_000159

We have a hosepipe ban from the 3rd April to who knows when!! 1000 pounds fine if you are caught

I'm not putting my car through a carwash so I'd better quickly become an expert with the primary use of a bucket as washing my car on a Sunday is one of my weekly highlights.

Re: UK - hosepipe ban for washing your car!

typical sh1thole Britain... can't be arsed to fix at source, so blame & punish the end user.

Thames Water lose / waste at least 29% of water due to leakage >> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1521578,00.html

"Thames Water estimates replacing seven miles of Victorian mains in West Brompton, west London, with plastic pipes has saved 1.7m litres of water a day - enough to supply more than 10,500 people." >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4763206.stm

PATHETIC

</rant>

Alex, why don't you take your car into an isolated area round the back of your house! We wont tell...

Sure, a quarter of all water leaks away before use (or should I say re-use!) Then people use water selfishly by letting water run while they brush their teeth, wash the dishes etc

Thames Water is one of the worst companies in this regard but people need to use water more efficiently too.

What's worse is that certain lakes in the Lake District (e.g. Thirlmere) have been used in supply water to Manchester as an emergency measure. Have you seen how ugly Thirlmere looks now. It's like a half empty sink. You can see the drained sides of the lake which used to be underwater.

I know it's crazy isn't it!!

Seems the whole of the UK is conspiring to not let us enjoy our beautiful cars. What with: hose-pipe bans, crazy petrol prices, congested roads, bad weather, road rage, people that key your car for no-good-reason other than jealousy, speed cameras everywhere, etc etc

Why do we live here again?! Anyone want to pool resources, buy a warm country, and live there tax free? ...only people with nice cars need apply

Hey, Bill Gates I'm sure will want in as he drives a 996 Cab...

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/ttbillionmar06/

...saying that the Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen looks like a Porsche fan too as he has an old classic, the 959

The stupid thing is, we'll probably end up using more water from buckets to wash down the cars than we would if we were to use a hosepipe!

I read in the paper a few Sunday's ago that in some areas, North London in particular,the is up to 70% leakage!!!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    primary use of a bucket

excuse my english but what do you mean?

Means our 'main' tool now will be a bucket

Complex piece of equipment I know, but a pain in the backside to go back and forth refilling from the tap every time you throw clean water over the car to soak/rinse. Takes me an hour with my hose and power cleaning kit, now it will probably take 2, and I will have a lot more water smeers.

No idea how I'm going to clean my Cab roof roof given I usually use water pressure to do this. Same goes for cleaning out the brakes.

Hmmmm, maybe I will just take it to my local OPC each week for them to valet (and then bill Thames Water)

Question is what does that mean for garage forecourt jetwashes / car washes (hasten to add that i certainly don't condone using the car washes on our cars!!)

More importantly what does it mean for professional valet firms etc. Are they exempt? Either way it's an exciting time for them - loads more business, or out of business....

From the Thames Water site:

"The current water restrictions ban the use of hosepipes or sprinklers for domestic use. If the drought situation continues we may apply to the Government for further restrictions on non-essential use"

...so companies can waste as much as they want!!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Means our 'main' tool now will be a bucket

There's a hole in my bucket. That'll be my excuse.

Tell you what, I will run a normal water pipe out towards the drive, and then I will make holes in it just like all of Thames Water pipes have. The spray can then be directed at the car...

...a classic case of "do as I say", and not "do as I do" by the Water Companies

Quote:
    mish said:
    Alex, why don't you take your car into an isolated area round the back of your house! We wont tell...

Agreed. In a case like yours I'd consider an actual water shortage to mean when you turn on hose nothing comes out.

Guys, come on please.

Thames Water are actually working like mad to replace the water mains. I should know, as my road and most of the roads around me have been dug up in the past few months in a humungous re-plumbing job in SE London.

30% of London's water mains are more than 150 years old. I know it's a statistic that's been trotted out so often it's a cliche, but it's still true.

Besides, just because other people waste water, does that really mean you can too? That's a somewhat immature position to take.

Fact is, we need more rain.

Move north - you'll get all the rain you want.

Quote:
    JamesC said:
    Guys, come on please.

Thames Water are actually working like mad to replace the water mains. I should know, as my road and most of the roads around me have been dug up in the past few months in a humungous re-plumbing job in SE London.

30% of London's water mains are more than 150 years old. I know it's a statistic that's been trotted out so often it's a cliche, but it's still true.

Besides, just because other people waste water, does that really mean you can too? That's a somewhat immature position to take.

Fact is, we need more rain.

This is utter BS and brainwashing from the water companies. If these companies really have been "working like mad" to replace water mains, then we wouldn't even have 50+ year old system, let alone a 150+ yo system. Bottom line is that they've sat on their proverbials doing nowt until its nearly too late, and the customer ends up suffering.

What annoys me is how these hypocritical companies go on and on about people leaving the tap on whilst brushing teeth, or washing their car, cause that really compares to the MILLIONS of litres lost EVERYDAY at source.

On BBC news the other week, they had some nub saying that "if its brown, flush it down, but if its yellow, just let it mellow"...I mean, come on, has our once great country really come to this, where we should ration how often we take a [censored]?!?!

Quote:
    John H said:
    Move north - you'll get all the rain you want.

Probably even more.

Next, you will have to register your hoses and obtain a hose owners license.

Then all registered hoses will have to be kept under police control.

Finally, your hoses will be confiscated for your own good.

Consider France for your next car wash!

Hosepipe ban, endless cameras/laser guns, potholed roads, weather, salt,jail if you go too fast, blah blah. UK Misery inc.

I'm moving abroad to somewhere I can enjoy a Porsche properly

Here in California, we must be getting your rain! Its been cloudy/rainy for about 28 days straight!

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Hosepipe ban, endless cameras/laser guns, potholed roads, weather, salt,jail if you go too fast, blah blah. UK Misery inc.

I'm moving abroad to somewhere I can enjoy a Porsche properly

Yeh, I recently got headhunted for a great job out in Silicon Valley in the US. SO tempted to relocate. What with the vastly better weather, the fact that for the same price as my UK 997S Cab I could get a new top-spec Turbo, and the general better quality of life, etc etc....

I love the UK, but if it doesn't stop becoming slowly more and more Draconian then I'm out of here

Water shortage on an island. Now thats what i call irony

I'm not saying that the companies don't waste it, or that they're wonderful. They do, and they're not. But still, the fact remains that - for whatever reason - we do have a water shortage.

Given that all the leaks won't be fixed in the next six months, don't you think it's a good idea to be careful with the water we have?

Sure, let's get the leaks fixed. But until that happens, turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!

One person wasting five litres of water isn't very much, but fifteen million people doing it, twice a day, every day of the week, is an awful lot.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    "if its brown, flush it down, but if its yellow, just let it mellow"

Actually, that quotation was said by Dustin Hoffman in 'Meet the Fockers'.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM