Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

Has anyone heard anything about the 4 cylinder cars being introduced at Beijing? These pictures appeared on a Chinese website showing a car simply badged as a Macan being put on display which has the same tail pipes that Porsche fit to it's entry models in each range. The car sat next to it is badged a Macan S.  Porsche's Chinese website only shows the S and turbo models being sold there but I was told a while back that the 4 cylinder car may well be announced this April with deliveries starting sometime in Q4 this year.

2.0 2.JPG

2.0 3.JPG

2.0 5.JPG2.0 4.JPG

--

Looks like the base Macan has finally arrived.

http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2838-29392551-1.html

http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2838-29393703-1.html

http://photo.xcar.com.cn/exhibit-hd/1790332/

Specs aren't too bad but are quite a way off the Macan S - 174 kW (233 hp) out of a 2.0L engine. I'm expecting performance to be around the 7 second mark for the 0-100 sprint and a top speed around 225-235 km/h.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

i understand no 2.0 diesel has been announced yet. Any information on that?

--

"Form follows function"

Well, in the CC from Mexico, the base Macan's wheel appears as an optional for the S model... and the official announce for the car?yes

base_macan_wheel.jpg

--

RodoRS -> 

The techinical spec's of the 2.0 car have now been released.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/macan/macan/featuresandspecs/

Decent performance for the entry level Macan. 237HP, 6,9s 0-100. Curious about the price. 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Strange, isn't it ("Special order only. Please contact a Centre")...? No press release yet...strange...

d997h:

Strange, isn't it ("Special order only. Please contact a Centre")...? No press release yet...strange...

...and Price      PDK heart

--

"Form follows function"

...could be an Exclusive option...Smiley... you are asked to order a Macan S and P would then cut-off two cylinders and delete all "S" references of the car...maybe a RT-member from CH may help with the equivalent Z-codes here...Smiley

d997h:

...could be an Exclusive option...Smiley... you are asked to order a Macan S and P would then cut-off two cylinders and delete all "S" references of the car...maybe a RT-member from CH may help with the equivalent Z-codes here...Smiley

LOL! sorry, but  i don't have any Z-codes of the Macan Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Is there a press embargo in place ? I mean just a statement from a Porsche Asia guy about when the car will be available in whatever country in asia (forget, which country was mentioned)...

It's on the Porsche UK configurator now - the price is £40,276 compared to £43,300 for the S. The standard equipment seems to be the same as far as I can tell.

Makes the S look good value.  V6 and a whole lot more performance for just £3k

--

Gen II Cayman S

I don't think the pricing is right at the moment. Can't imagine the base Macan being that expensive, compared to the S. As far as I can remeber I've read in several magazines and on websites that the base Macan would be the cheapest Porsche on the Market. That means cheaper than base Boxster....yes

it also seems that for now, the car is only available for RHD markets. Probably only for Asia, but on special order also for UK, untill the official European introduction is? Maybe that's why the price is a little too high?? Just guessing....

--

Suzy

d997h:

To be honest I would love to have a diesel instead of this gas powered version, my wife's Cayenne diesel is awesome, lots of torque and great fuel economy to boot.

here is more info and pictures.

New entry-level Porsche Macan revealed in Beijing...

Four-cylinder petrol power for Asia-bound Porsche Macan, but this entry-level model could be sold in the UK in the future...

(23 April 2014)

Porsche has provided official details on its new entry-level four-cylinder petrol-powered version of the Macan.

The new Macan, seen at the Beijing motor show, runs parent company Volkswagen’s EA888 engine – as used by a wide range of models from Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Seat, making it the first Porsche model since the 968 to use four-cylinder power. 

The turbocharged 2.0-litre in-line four-cylinder direct injection unit, boasting the same state of tune found on the VW Golf GTI Performance Package, develops 234bhp and 258lb ft of torque between 1500-4500rpm. Porsche claims the new model will return 36.7mpg on a combined cycle.

By comparison, the turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 powered Macan S possesses 335bhp and 339lb ft.

For Asian markets, the Macan’s four-cylinder engine is mated to a standard seven-speed PDK dual clutch gearbox boasting remote steering wheel shift paddles.

Porsche claims an official 0-62mph time for the Macan of 6.9sec, an in-gear 50-75mph split of 5.1sec and a 139mph top speed. The Macan is visually distinguished by standard 18-inch wheels and twin trapezoidal-shaped tail pipes.   

The four-cylinder Macan will initially be sold in selected Asian markets. Information pertaining to UK sales has not yet been revealed, although Porsche officials suggest it will join the local line-up in 2015.

New entry-level Porsche Macan revealed in Beijing -- Autocar link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

New entry-level Porsche Macan revealed in Beijing...

Four-cylinder petrol power for Asia-bound Porsche Macan, but this entry-level model could be sold in the UK in the future...

(23 April 2014)

Porsche has provided official details on its new entry-level four-cylinder petrol-powered version of the Macan.

The new Macan, seen at the Beijing motor show, runs parent company Volkswagen’s EA888 engine – as used by a wide range of models from Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Seat, making it the first Porsche model since the 968 to use four-cylinder power. 

The turbocharged 2.0-litre in-line four-cylinder direct injection unit, boasting the same state of tune found on the VW Golf GTI Performance Package, develops 234bhp and 258lb ft of torque between 1500-4500rpm. Porsche claims the new model will return 36.7mpg on a combined cycle.

By comparison, the turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 powered Macan S possesses 335bhp and 339lb ft.

For Asian markets, the Macan’s four-cylinder engine is mated to a standard seven-speed PDK dual clutch gearbox boasting remote steering wheel shift paddles.

Porsche claims an official 0-62mph time for the Macan of 6.9sec, an in-gear 50-75mph split of 5.1sec and a 139mph top speed. The Macan is visually distinguished by standard 18-inch wheels and twin trapezoidal-shaped tail pipes.   

The four-cylinder Macan will initially be sold in selected Asian markets. Information pertaining to UK sales has not yet been revealed, although Porsche officials suggest it will join the local line-up in 2015.

New entry-level Porsche Macan revealed in Beijing -- Autocar link

Smiley SmileySmiley

This is ridiculous IMHO.

While VW puts on the market a 400bhp golf with that same engine, Porsche manages to add a 230bhp 4 cylinder engine to an SUV.Things are not going the right way at Porsche. 

Porsche did not add anything. They simply use VW Golf GTI engine.

KresoF1:

That's even worse. At least, they could have made their own 4 cylinder engine.

amazon:
    KresoF1:

Why should they?  Nothing wrong with the VAG engine. In fact, it's one of the nicest fourcylinder engines out there.

Doesn't need more power either. It's an entry level car, so the price has to be kept reasonably low.  I'll even bet that if this car comes to Europe, you will get a 211hp version in Belgium, just like the Macan S diesel Smiley

--

Suzy

They do offer proper engines for those who care about performance, and those who buy the slowest model surely do not care if it has a Porsche of  a Golf engine they just want the badge or maybe even style and premium feel of the car

amazon:
    KresoF1:

Why invest in a 4C when one of the best 2.0 L  engines around can be borrowed from within the Group?

Wisely, Porsche keep their money to invest in more worthwhile cars and technologies.

This is a small engined, lower powered variant, therefore it would make no sense to use the 300+hp engine. For those who want more power 3.0 and  3.6 engines are on offer.

Manufacturers cater for demand. There is demand for  diesels and small engines nowadays. Why let customers go elsewhere rather than stay  within the company and either move up to higher models or buy something additional?

--

"Form follows function"

lor:

They do offer proper engines for those who care about performance, and those who buy the slowest model surely do not care if it has a Porsche of  a Golf engine they just want the badge or maybe even style and premium feel of the car

This is very correct Smiley.

The presumption is that entry level buyers go just for the name. Some do, but many are enticed by the style and feel. So true.

--

"Form follows function"

So how many would care to guess the percentage of Macan sales this time next year with the hairdryer engine?

Visited showroom today and felt very underwhelmed at the grey Macan S they had. I expect it'll drive really well for an SUV, and no doubt will become very successful - however I can't say it had any "want" factor about it. 

I think you'd have to go bold in colour for this car - else it'll simply melt into the sea of other ubiquitous soft-roaders.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

I actually thought the Macan S I test drove was quite the performer; I enjoyed its pace and driving dynamics but wasn't terribly fond of the more cramped interior space compared to the open feel of the Cayenne.

I don't think that the four-banger in the base Macan is underwhelming. It's a fantastic engine and while there may be no prestige in seeing it used in something like a Golf, it provides great power, performance and efficiency. We've got a 2014 Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI and absolutely adore the shove it gives us.

I agree about the color comment, however; the agate grey S I drove was a too understated for my liking. I'd personally go for jet black or rhodium silver but for the attention grabbers out there, Sapphire Blue and Impulse Red are coming soon enough. If Impulse Red turns out to be more of a metallic Carmine, they'll have my attention...

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

reginos:

Why invest in a 4C when one of the best 2.0 L  engines around can be borrowed from within the Group?

Wisely, Porsche keep their money to invest in more worthwhile cars and technologies.

This is a small engined, lower powered variant, therefore it would make no sense to use the 300+hp engine. For those who want more power 3.0 and  3.6 engines are on offer.

Manufacturers cater for demand. There is demand for  diesels and small engines nowadays. Why let customers go elsewhere rather than stay  within the company and either move up to higher models or buy something additional?

Fully agree with you.

I have a 7 year old S3 with 150,000km that has a variation of the same 2.0 TFSI engine and runs perfectly. Great little engine. Nothing wrong with it.

bridggar:

So how many would care to guess the percentage of Macan sales this time next year with the hairdryer engine?

Visited showroom today and felt very underwhelmed at the grey Macan S they had. I expect it'll drive really well for an SUV, and no doubt will become very successful - however I can't say it had any "want" factor about it. 

I think you'd have to go bold in colour for this car - else it'll simply melt into the sea of other ubiquitous soft-roaders.

I've seen four colours so far and the worst for effect is the Grey.

Silver and White are very attractive and practical to maintain, but the car somehow looks very small.

The best colour of those I've seen, for effect is Black with stainless steel plates front and rear, dark window trim and 21" Turbo Design wheels. Very noticeable and very aggressive.

--

"Form follows function"

amazon:
    KresoF1:

This Macan 4cyl-turbo engine is tuned higher (234bhp and 258lb ft of torque) than the VW GTI which delivers 200bhp and 207lb ft.  A significant bump up, actually.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

ADias:
    This Macan 4cyl-turbo engine is tuned higher (234bhp and 258lb ft of torque) than the VW GTI which delivers 200bhp and 207lb ft.  A significant bump up, actually.

The same engine has been seen in many power variations. On the current S3 it has 300bhp.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM