Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Milanno:
    RC:

Actually, I haven't encountered a single motorcycle yet to do the same and there have been many. indecision

Wait for some experienced driver on S1000RR Smiley

No chance. No matter how experienced, you need perfect (surface) conditions, which usually don't exist on a public road. For me, things are easy: AWD...PDK in auto mode...and if I am mean I start with launch control. Smiley Usually the speed is limited to 60 or 70 where I have the chance to do a run from standstill and in this speed range, no motorcycle really beats the 991 Turbo S.

I cannot exclude that a motorcycle pro could keep up but to outrun me up to 100 kph? Impossible. Most superbikes do 0-100 kph in an average of around 3.5 seconds (real life values, not measured under ideal conditions) and they usually have traction/stability issues in the 0-50 kph speed range. Under perfect traction conditions and with a pro rider, superbikes can do 0-100 kph in 2.7-2.8 seconds and in magazines even faster. Smiley

Over 100 kph of course, I don't stand much of a chance against real superbikes. Some of them hit 200 km/h (125 mph) under 7 seconds. Ouch. Smiley

What I really like about bikers: They always show thumbs up after such a run, they are very friendly and not aggressive or angry. Car drivers usually react differently.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I mentioned S1000RR for specific reason wink Like I said, you will be surprised with this bike capabilities from 0 to 300 km/h. One of the reasons that bike is so specific is Traction control (its not gimmick feature like on other bikes) and incredible engine agility (since most liter bikes are in full power after 10k rpm). 

I know you can say that this is closed track, but you can see some real world conditions on video kiss Your 991 TTS is very fast car and it can keep up with some liter bikes, but not with BMW 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAUV1Yj4NE

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

When RC accelerates Chuck Norris stands still 1397214807524driving.gif

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

I have same feeling reading his posts smiley

--

According to this video, even the 1200 hp Veyron doesn't stand a chance from standstill against the BMW S1000RR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sQ4_PHczmgE#t=63

Herbaliser:

According to this video, even the 1200 hp Veyron doesn't stand a chance from standstill against the BMW S1000RR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sQ4_PHczmgE#t=63

You guys are talking magazine figures, I am talking real life figures. We have a huge biker community where I live and on weekends, I "meet" at least a dozen super bikes with my car, which makes it a lot of fun, especially since bikers over here are usually friendly and not tight a.ss.ed as some sports car drivers. Smiley Also we do not "race", just a harmless run starting from a green light to the next read light, usually in the 60-80 kph speed range (there is usually a 60 to 80 kph speed limit where we do it). 

These roads are not drag strips with super sticky pavement. There is no way a normally skilled biker stands a chance to launch his bike in a 0-100 kph time of less than 3 seconds. Not sure how many of you have a motorcycle driver's license but if you have, you know what I am talking about. It takes a lot of skill and experience to do a perfect launch on normal roads on a super bike.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Milanno:

I mentioned S1000RR for specific reason wink Like I said, you will be surprised with this bike capabilities from 0 to 300 km/h. One of the reasons that bike is so specific is Traction control (its not gimmick feature like on other bikes) and incredible engine agility (since most liter bikes are in full power after 10k rpm). 

I know you can say that this is closed track, but you can see some real world conditions on video kiss Your 991 TTS is very fast car and it can keep up with some liter bikes, but not with BMW 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAUV1Yj4NE

Haven't you read my post? Smiley I specifically stated that I stand no chance over 100 kph and that the acceleration runs are runs from standstill to 60, 70, 80 or 100 kph. This is a speed range no bike beats the 991 Turbo S under normal driving/road conditions. 

--

bluelines:

When RC accelerates Chuck Norris stands still 1397214807524driving.gif

Your humor has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Smiley

--

RC dont get too mad, and try to read my posts more patiently kiss I told you, most liter bikes dont have a chance against car like 991 TTS, S1000RR have because its very agile under 10k rpm, too (most liter bikes kick in after 10k rpm). Also, I forgot to mention that thing have launch control smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hOl_V9zks

--

Milanno:

RC dont get too mad, and try to read my posts more patiently kiss I told you, most liter bikes dont have a chance against car like 991 TTS, S1000RR have because its very agile under 10k rpm, too (most liter bikes kick in after 10k rpm). Also, I forgot to mention that thing have launch control smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hOl_V9zks

That guy is definately not a pro by the way he is dressed to ride a sportbike Smiley so that means that that launch control definately does what it says with little input from the rider.

Amazing, ... attempting a launch like that without launch control would take some cojones and experience and even then could go very very wrong very fast, but that launch control system is amazing.

That changes the rules of the game compared to traditional drag races bike vs car from standstill since it eliminates the problem with the bike of getting off the line until the clutch is completely out, which is were the car would get sometimes enough of an advantage before the bike would catch up, but with that LC thats gone and its game over for the car, even if you are in a Veyron.

--

That is what I am trying to say Carlos kissS1000RR is whole new level between 1000cc sport bikes. Thats why I kindly advised RC to stop talking that 991 TTS is unbeatable for any bike in real world conditions. 

--

Milanno:

That is what I am trying to say Carlos kissS1000RR is whole new level between 1000cc sport bikes. Thats why I kindly advised RC to stop talking that 991 TTS is unbeatable for any bike in real world conditions. 

I admit I never looked much into its since I though it was a gimmick... LC on a bike?... but now that I see more videos,  Its amazing, its a perfect smooth no fuss launch everytime eek.gif hats off to BMW Smiley

--

Nevertheless, it doesn't look like under 3sec. to 100. And keeping in mind all the speedo error typical for bikes...?

Initial meters to 100kmh is probably 3 seconds flat, neck in neck with most supercars but after that the bike takes off in the following second, to put it in perspective on how it accelerates after the initial 3sec/100kph, it only needs 4 more seconds to do the other 100kph from 100 to to 200.

I guess if you only race up to 100kph then it would be a tie more or less, but thats only a 3 second race, not that realistic since thats barely a race, but the thing is that until this launch control it wouldn't even be a tie to 100kph, the car would be significantly ahead to 100kph because of the 1 0 2 second loss of the bike in trying to get it rolling from a standstill without flipping it.

--

Lots of clever toys on bikes these days.  My Aprilia Tuono V4 had quickshift (no throttle lift or clutch for up-changes), ABS, traction control, launch control and anti-wheelie control.  All individually tweakable..  Fast.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

More bad lucks

Beware of premature PCCB (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake) failure

http://jimmy348.blogspot.com/

The rear ceramic rotors on my Porche 911 Turbo S had to be replaced after only 12,000 miles at a cost of $10,000. These were their much-promoted Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB).This was an unexpected shock to me, so I would like to share my experience with anyone considering ordering the optional PCCB brakes for a new Porsche in the hope that others won’t have to endure my painful experience.

My story started with excited anticipation when I took delivery of my brand-new 911 Turbo S. For those unfamiliar with the Turbo S, this car was a special 911 that came with more horsepower than the base Turbo and included an extensive list of options installed as standard equipment. One of these was PCCB.

I was understandably looking forward to enjoying my new car and was particularly pleased with the promise of PCCB performance because the marketing literature said the following:

“The discs are made from a specially treated carbon-fiber compound that is silicated in a high-vacuum process at 3,092°F. The resulting material is not only much harder than metal- it is also more resistant to heat.”

Based on the Porsche sales pitch most anyone would have thought that PCCB was a must-have option and money well spent. But the brutal reality is that for me PCCB turned out to be a huge disappointment because the rear rotors on my Turbo failed at 12,000 miles due to overheating and cost me a massive $10,000 to repair. Included in these miles were 900 miles of track driving plus 3000-4000 miles of sporty driving in the hills near my home.

When I reported the brake failure to Porsche, they blamed it on me and my driving style and refused to honor their warranty. I was stunned by their denial. I could not believe that they were not living up to what I felt were their responsibilities and were blaming me instead. First, I felt that Porsche had lied to me. How could brakes that are “more resistant to heat” burn out after only 12,000 miles? Second, I could not and cannot accept their blaming me because I'm a relatively skilled driver who has taken the time to learn how to get the most out of my sports car. I have about 25 track days under my belt in the last four years. Half of these were driving schools including on-track private coaching. So my technique, I believe, is solid. Plus, I am not an aggressive driver and don't push the car beyond 90% on track and 70-80% on public roads. Also, the front brakes normally take much more of the load from braking than the rears. Yet it was the rear rotors that burned out. Furthermore, the only caution in any of the car’s documentation was an instruction to have the brakes inspected before any performance driving event. This I did religiously.

Therefore, I think one needs to look beyond driving style because, if I could burn out a set of PCCB rotors, so could anyone. The reason, in my opinion, is that the driver is not the only one at the controls of a Porsche. In fact, the car is constantly intervening in the background and overriding the driver's inputs. For example, one of the installed options on the Turbo S is Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus). PTV helps the car turn by applying the brakes to the inside rear wheel in a corner. These braking actions are completely imperceptible to the driver (per Porsche's literature and also my experience). PTV is especially active, I believe, on the low-speed twisty roads in my area. The net result is that while you are out enjoying the dynamics of your car, the car's computers seem to be busy destroying your expensive ceramic brakes. And the car does this completely without your knowledge because there are no brake temperature sensors or other real-time warnings on any Porsche to alert you to the dangers to your brakes. Incidentally, stopping the car to take brake temperature readings did not give any indication of an overheating problem.

BTW Ferrari has brake temperature sensors, but Porsche has not installed them. Why not? They have dozens of other sensors on the car including brake wear sensors, so this is not a matter of technical infeasibility.

I also know that my experience is not an isolated incident because I met another Porsche owner who also had to replace the burnt out PCCB rotors on his relatively new Turbo S. Two examples are not conclusive proof, but clearly the claims about the heat resistance of PCCB brakes in the sales literature had to have been absolutely false. I base this opinion not just on the two examples of brake failure mentioned here but on the fact that all references to the heat resistance of ceramic brakes has been removed from the current marketing literature. The only benefit Porsche now mentions regarding the PCCB is reduced unsprung weight. Why did they change their literature other than the fact that the original claims weren’t true? Furthermore, they now include a mild warning about premature brake wear. I would go beyond their warning to opine that if you use your car for any high-performance driving, your ceramic rotors will certainly burn out early. This includes not just track days and autocross but dynamic driving on twisty public roads.

In my opinion, anyone considering ordering PCCB for a new Porsche should ask themselves if the reduced weight is worth the upfront charge plus a $10,000 repair bill every couple of years, especially since the standard steel brakes stop the car just as well. Based on my painful experience, the decision is easy. I would never order PCCB as an option again!

I believe the only one who benefits from the optional PCCB is Porsche itself. PCCB increases Porsche's already obscene industry-leading profit margin by jacking up the price of a new car plus fattening their wallets by $10,000 for every brake replacement. This gives them a perverse incentive, in my opinion, to ignore problems such as mine because every time a set of rotors burns out they sell you a replacement set at roughly double the cost of the original option! But if enough people were to save their hard-earned dollars and opt for steel brakes, Porsche might get the message and install brake temperature sensors  to protect their customers’ investments.

BTW I would also stay away from PTV. It’s downsides outweigh its benefits as far as I’m concerned, especially since it’s another costly option.

That was a pretty long tale, but I felt the need to make my experience public, so that others might learn from my misfortune. If my story helps even one of you avoid a painful and expensive experience with PCCB, I will consider the effort to write this post well worth it.

Probably a stupid question... But this is about a 991 Turbo S or a 997 Turbo S?  I assume the 991 but I can't make it up from the story and since the car already has 12,000 miles on it, it could also be a 997. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

According to the owner it is 991(he posted a thread on rennlist).

But, let's wait what will happened with 650S in the future as well since its rear brakes are busy as hell(open diff and esp system that rely 100% on rear brakes).

KresoF1:

According to the owner it is 991(he posted a thread on rennlist).

But, let's wait what will happened with 650S in the future as well since its rear brakes are busy as hell(open diff and esp system that rely 100% on rear brakes).

I just read it on Rennlist indeed. Still I can't help thinking it's a 997.... He had 16 months of lease left. When did the first 991 TTS hit the U.S. soil? End of january? It might be a 18 month lease, but then he would have done 12000 miles in two months.... 

I don't know... Something doesn't seem right about the story...Smiley

--

Suzy

The only carbon-ceramic brakes that seem to really be up to the advertsing claims are the Movit ones...

http://www.movitbrakes.com/en/

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Yes, little bit fishy...

But, that problem with PCCBs is a known thing.

BTW, do you have all Z codes(Exclusive) for 991 Turbo/Turbo S? There is no 991 Turbo US order guide online which usually contains all Z codes.

KresoF1:

Yes, little bit fishy...

But, that problem with PCCBs is a known thing.

BTW, do you have all Z codes(Exclusive) for 991 Turbo/Turbo S? There is no 991 Turbo US order guide online which usually contains all Z codes.

Don't have all Z-codes, but I have some:

Porsche 991 Z-options

• 24891    Deviated stitching front & rear seats
    • 24901    Deviated stitching dashboard
    • 24902    Deviated stitching door trim
    • 24905    Deviated stitching rear side panels
    • 24951    Deviated carpet
    • 25251    Center seat parts in deviated color
    • 26741    Deviated stitching door center panel
    • 26751    Deviated stitching armrest
    • 26761    Deviated stitching door handles
    • 26811    Armrests (doors) in deviated color
    • 90003    Deviated stitching for option XHS
    • 90005    Storage compartment lid in deviated color
    • 90015    Backrest shells (option XWK) in deviated color
    • 90017    Deviated stitching for option XWK
    • 90025    Steering column casing (Option XNS) in deviated color
    • 90027    Deviated stitching for option XNS
    • 90031    Instrument surround (Option XNG) in deviated color
    • 90043    Deviated stitching for Adaptive Sports Seats Plus Backrest shells (option XWL, Turbo S only!)

Available colors for deviated stitching:

• Silver
    • White
    • Platinum grey
    • Pebble grey
    • Agate grey
    • Black
    • Guards Red
    • Carrera Red
    • Racing Yellow
    • Lime Gold
    • Luxor Beige
    • Cognac
    • Cream
    • Umbra
    • Espresso
    • Amber Orange
    • Peridot
    • Yachting Blue
    • Aqua Blue

Available colors for deviated carpet:

• Black
    • Espresso
    • Yachting Blue
    • Agate Grey
    • Carrera Red
    • Luxor Beige
    • Cognac
    • Pebble Grey
    • Platinum Grey

--

Suzy

Thanks Suzy!

I was looking for Z Codes for:

-centar seat parts in alcantara
    -armrest(doors) in alcantara

KresoF1:
    Thanks Suzy!

I was looking for Z Codes for:

-centar seat parts in alcantara
    -armrest(doors) in alcantara

Good one.... Unfortunately I don't have them. However, I'm very sure that these options are on the dealer configurator, since I've seen it on a car (albeit a 991 C2S). Your salesperson should be able to give them to you.

--

Suzy

First 991 TTS arrived in US mid to late November 2013.  I received mine in CA first week of December.

thxf8:

First 991 TTS arrived in US mid to late November 2013.  I received mine in CA first week of December.

OK, but than it still is kinda weird story if it really is a 991... He says he had 16 months of lease left and he's done 12,000 miles. Two posibillities:

1. He had an 18 month lease and did 12,000 miles in 2 months Smiley

2. He had a 24 month lease (or more) and it's a 997 Turbo S..... (Which has different brakes)

Not that it matters, but if he wants to warn other people, it's nice to know what he is exactly talking about....

--

Suzy

BiTurbo:

More bad lucks

Beware of premature PCCB (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake) failure

How many track days did you do with your car?

SuzyF:

... Not that it matters, but if he wants to warn other people, it's nice to know what he is exactly talking about....

He posted on 6speedonline that it was a 997.

If that is the case then his story is at least little bit misleading since he posted it on 991 turbo forum on rennlist.

It's indeed a 997. He wanted it on any forum because all ceremic brakes are bad.mail

I think he's just a troll that wants attention and now with the bad publicity because of Nick's video was an ideal moment for him.

--

Suzy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764402 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436546 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261055 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257980 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82653 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876914 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808979 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM