Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

new Rennteam member - McLaren MP4-12C Spider

Yesterday I finally got delivery of a McLaren MP4-12C Spider Supernova Silver '13 VIN 2922 with 0km.

After the first pictures back '11 i felt in love with the look of the car but for me it was on a financial standpoint out of reach. Last year in June i got the chance to test drive the Spider and after that I was completely sold. Later on I attended also on a McLaren Track Day with Pro Racing Drivers and also got the chance to attend at the 991 Turbo S Launch Event at Red Bull Ring with Porsche instructors. So I got the feeling what I want and in which direction my decision would lead. I for me learned a lot how to drive these cars the “right” way and I like the driving style of a mid-engine car more than 991 engine layout. The 991 Turbo S is an awesome machine for sure and faster under most real life conditions.

Time went on (I was driving 997 Turbo ’07 so no hurry) I had the Macan Turbo on order as a DD and it was not my intend to get 2 cars at the same time, but in January the new administration in Austria raised car taxes with started on 1st March for new cars to the disfavor of high CO2 output. 991 Turbo S got 15k Euro more expensive and 12C or now 650S got around 25k Euro more. At this time I visited my Porsche Dealer about the status on the Macan Order and he made a very good offer for a Dealer registered 991 Turbo S which was in my financial reach. So the next day I visited the McLaren Dealership, checked back their offers and to my surprise they offered me a 12C Coupe ‘12 with 0km a little bit cheaper than the Porsche. With that offer I was on the McLaren Train but I decided to wait till end of February for my final decision. The Spider was too expensive at this time but with the reveal of the 650S and a little bit oversupply at the Dealer with 12C Spiders things got brighter and brighter every day and I pulled the trigger with end of February on a Dealer registered MP4-12C Spider Graphite Grey with 4k km for delivery 15th March.

From the first day the car made some problems which all except of 1 got sorted (perfectly) at the dealership. The engine had misfires at 1-3k RPM with 5-20% throttle applied. The car went back to the dealership and after some attempts (transmission oil change, change of flywheel and complete transmission change) with no resolution I got offered a new car at the same price for exchange. I willingly agreed  Smiley. Maybe it helped a little that I’ve been to the Geneva Salon and attended at the 650S launch event in Neuchatel (Got in touch with Frank Stephenson who sat beside me at the Gala Dinner – what a nice guy, Chatted with David Brimson (Director Marketing & Sales) about the development of the McLaren Dealer Structure in Europe and the Car itself, and also some other really attentive and nice guys). I don’t know but overall I was and I am very very happy with the offered deal and my thanks goes to the in all ways perfectly acting staff of McLaren Vienna and also the D-A-CH Regional Manager.

The Spec:

Contrast Stitching on Dashboard - Stone Grey
    Volumetric Alarm Upgrade
    Alcantara & Leather Interior
    Body Colour Splitter
    Carbon Fibre Interior
    Exterior Elite Paint - Supernova Silver
    Electric & Heated Memory Seats
    McLaren Branded Floor Mat Set
    Lightweight Forged Wheels
    Iris with Meridan Surround Sound System
    Nose Lifter
    Parking Sensors (Front & Rear)
    Stealth Pack
    Sport Exhaust
    Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

The Pictures:

The first Verdict (after 2k km with the Graphite Grey car and 200 km in the new one):

WHAT A CAR. Do i need to say more? 

For me it has it all. The Looks, Interior, Exterior, the Sound, the Driving, the Acceleration. At A Roads you can drive at such a fast pace it is mind boggling and completely satisfying. It turns in like a larger Go Kart, absolute stable and planted. It is an very emotional drive and I feel one with the car.

Re: new Rennteam member - McLaren MP4-12C Spider

Congrats for such a nice car! The fact that McLaren changed your car is a real privilege, and unusual. As speaks about their outstanding service, something I miss more and more on Porsche.

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Stunning! angel kiss Congrats! wink

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

The (McLaren) Service is absolutely Top Notch. I’m a Porsche Customer since ’06, the Macan is my 3rd Porsche (Boxster S ’06 and 997 Turbo ’07) and I’m also very happy with the Staff at my Porsche Dealership but you feel that there is a larger Organization behind. Sometimes it is a good thing but with McLaren the detail and willingness to inform customers in the whole Sales and After Sales process is awesome. I got informed about every repair step and status and got invited to review the new and old parts which got exchanged.

Also I got infected with the professionalism and passion from the McLaren staff I met. From Frank (Stephenson) and Greg (Levine) downwards all ppl working there are very enthusiastic.

In the near future i will visit the factory and going to Dunsfold to drive the 650S.

Many, many congrats hunterone, what a great car.

This looks damn near like the ideal spec to me for a 12C. In Supernova Silver it looks cool but not too flashy, black leather/alcantara, carbon fibre interior, dark grey wheels and body coloured splitter (!), just perfect if you ask me.

Even if the 650S may be marginally faster, for me it's the original front of the 12C with the body coloured splitter (!! indecision) that looks and fits best to the rest of the car.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Many Thanks 

The color has in real life a huge wow factor. In direct sun it tends to be a silver white with extreme metallic flakes. The only color i like more is ice silver which is more blueish and less metallic flakes. I thought at first it needs some carbon bits like turning vanes and mirrors but the car has a real consistent look and right now i dont change it.

Congratulations! Keep the updates coming!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

Congratulation.

12C really is a fantastic car to drive day to day. The old knock was the doors, it does need a wide berth when parking, but they have just announced a new software update which bring most of the software improvements on the 650S to the 12C, and the bonus is that for 2013 cars, with a button to open doors, they have added a window control. So no more worries about people parking too close preventing you from entering the car. While climbing through the window is not the most glamorous act, it beats standing there unable to get it, or laying on the floor trying to contort yourself from the bottom in. 

The view forward is #1 in the business. The widescreen vision beats even that offered by the 918. The supple ride is unmatched by any manufacturers. 

--

Nochmal Glückwunsch!

what comes next? ;) great looking car, for my taste very well speced. Enjoy! 

The 12C looks very good in silver.

For my taste the original 12C design is more successful than the 650S.

Enjoy!

--

"Form follows function"

congrats and enjoy the car, i just love mine......

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

Congrats on the purchase, gorgeous machine. It's not the first time I've read McLaren really knows how to treat their customers, I can imagine it really adds to the experience.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Again many Thanks devil

What is also absolute positive about the car that you don’t get categorized at all and all the ppl are very positive about it, ask questions, smiling and open mouths everywhere but no bad or angry words. This really adds up to the whole driving experience.

@Avoe: for the next years i dont think i need anything new or used Smiley. Im right now in drivers heaven Smiley

hunterone:

Again many Thanks devil

What is also absolute positive about the car that you don’t get categorized at all and all the ppl are very positive about it, ask questions, smiling and open mouths everywhere but no bad or angry words. This really adds up to the whole driving experience.

You mention the above in comparison to the established cars in the class, like Ferrari or small Lamborghini? If so why is that? People think it doesn't cost as much as the others? Or is it because it is perceived as more sport than show?

Also, how is it perceived relative to a higher 911 variant?

On the matter of specs, is the dashboard also available in leather instead of alcantara?

Again enjoy and have lots of fun Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Yes i mention especially Ferrari and Lamborghini but also Porsche. I attended today a local Cars & Coffee Event and got very positive response from many people but also on the street or at the gas station everywhere positive response, smiles, thump ups. Also girls seem to like the car – had two encounters who want to take pictures and they said what a lovely car this is. I washed my car at a local gas station yesterday and due some rain also today and ppl are coming up asking carefully if they can take a look, ask questions all in a really positive way, and its not about the cost. Some ppl estimated the price and they have been quite near (330k € Sticker). A guy came up today who saw me also yesterday and he congratulated me that he can see the car in real life and gave me props that I drive this car. He was the typical guy who drink beer at the gas station and that says a lot. One other good thing is that no one knows what it is. So you are not categorized. I don’t know if its sport or show but the ppl know that this is something very special (said I open mouths ? angel)

This is the leather/alcantara interior. In standard trim the dash is in leather.

I think it has a lot to do that woman in general like the car. They don’t care often about cars but on this one they begin to smile. It doesn’t matter if there are Couples in their 30s (as encountered today), Family’s in their 40s. Often you see in the back view mirror that girls whip out their smartphones and shooting some pictures even on the highway not that this behavior Isn’t dangerous but what could I do yes

One negative thing: this car loves fuel cool20 l/100km or 12 MPG and i think it wont get better in the future blush

Haha, I averaged 25-26l/100km. You are too easy on the throttle 

--

WOW You guys have heavy foots! I'm doing 18-19mpg (US gallons) in my TTS! And I push it hard often.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

In comparison I am getting 16-17l/100km in my Turbo S. The Porsche is quite a bit more efficient.

I pretty do 100% city driving, some of them bumper to bumper traffic. 

--

I do a mix of city and highway. Lots of traffic lights :) Did the conversion - 12-13l/100km WOW I need to push harder!

--

Awesome !!!

hunterone:

I think it has a lot to do that woman in general like the car. They don’t care often about cars but on this one they begin to smile. It doesn’t matter if there are Couples in their 30s (as encountered today), Family’s in their 40s. Often you see in the back view mirror that girls whip out their smartphones and shooting some pictures even on the highway not that this behavior Isn’t dangerous but what could I do yes

I can relate to this statement Smiley

Here is the evidence: first Mrs PJ took pictures of the McLaren out of her BoxsterS (not that dangerous, as she chased the McLaren on a flatbed truck in the city Smiley, then we visited the dealership and her conclusion was: if you want one I wouldn't mind Smiley

Many congrats on a fantastic car Smiley Up to date I know the driving experience only from a passenger seat (on the Nordschleife Smiley ) and I absolutely adore the ergonomy and the design "around the driver" - i wish the 991 GT-Porsches would be like that Smiley

I wish you many happy miles with this beauty! 

1397411042766image.jpg1397411042854image.jpg1397411042842image.jpg1397411042807image.jpg

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I think with (sport) cars it’s the same with girls some you like some you don’t like and with some you instantly fall in love. For me the 12C is the latter. It is so planted, emotional and fun to drive I can’t even describe what I feel. For me it’s the best of both worlds (Porsche = technical and performance, Ferrari = show and performance). But as with girls everyone has a different taste – and that’s good.

Many Thanks for all the nice comments.

@ Porsche-Jeck:I attend at a McLaren Trackday 27.10. (I know a long time away :)) at Nürburgring GP Track. I dunno if you are nearby but maybe we can meet up so you get a little bit of seat time broken heart

@McLaren Life there is a nice writeup about emotions. Funny that it got posted today. http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/11337-soul-fuel.html

hunterone:

@ Porsche-Jeck:I attend at a McLaren Trackday 27.10. (I know a long time away :)) at Nürburgring GP Track. I dunno if you are nearby but maybe we can meet up so you get a little bit of seat time broken heart

Wow, hunterone - what a fantastic super nice invitation - thank you so much Smiley

And yes, I am always nearby the 'Ring Smiley I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Eifel weather gods Smiley In case you arrive the day before already I'd be happy to provide some GT3 fun on the Nordschleife as a small return Smiley

I agree with your girls / cars analogy - sometimes it's love at the first view Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

some Pics from the Car & Coffee Event today and two Garage shots 

Great pics - your car clearly did win the cars & coffee beauty contest - with the black 981S on second place Smiley

Just as a liitle teaser with a view to create some "Vorfreude" for the upcoming trackday I am posting some pics showing how the parking place in the Green Hell does look like after a McLaren invasion Smiley

1397420803887image.jpg1397420803913image.jpg1397420803948image.jpg

--

great indecision. Proper cars on the pictures 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763789 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436140 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260885 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876561 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808507 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM