Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:

Finally at Stuttgart. What a lovely city! Nice and quiet. 

Porsche sent a Panamera e-hybrid as transport, but surprisingly, I didn't see a lot of Porsche on the road, including the car I was in I only saw 3 total.

Whoopsy, while there try to get some information on the GT3. As a 918 buyer, you have status.Smiley

LOL nberry is one sneaky opportunist smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Finally at Stuttgart. What a lovely city! Nice and quiet. 

Porsche sent a Panamera e-hybrid as transport, but surprisingly, I didn't see a lot of Porsche on the road, including the car I was in I only saw 3 total.

Whoopsy, while there try to get some information on the GT3. As a 918 buyer, you have status.Smiley

Well what else did you want to know? haha

I just had a informal dinner hosted by the CEO of Porsche Canada, he is born and raised here in Stuttgart, and he came into Porsche around the same time as Dr. Walliser, rose up the rank together and they are pretty good buddies :) Anyway, since he knows this town like the back of his hand, so he took us to a little neighbourhood 'pub' for some Swabian dinner kiss

He confirmed what others wrote, the problem is from the out of spec bolts and they are limited by the supply of the new parts. 

--

Thanks. It appears your off to a good start.kiss

Just my rotten luck. Waking up to a cold and rainy day, complete opposite of the warm and sunny day yesterday :(

--

DJC:

You mean the press does that in Germany too 

I thought that only happens in the US!!!

It happens on a much stronger level than in the US (I watch/read US media too...).

In the past, people loved to read about newborn royal babies, now they are more interested in who cheated taxes. Smiley

The German media makes it look as if everyone who is wealthy, is a tax cheater. My tax advisor worked for the IRS and still has lots of friends there. He told me that most tax cheaters are usually restaurant owners, craftspeople, waiters, etc., not the really rich people. If you read newspapers though, you get the impression that every business owner or every millionaire is a cheat. This is how the media works...let's just hope that people get bored at some point and the media finds a new sensation. How about aliens disguised as politicians? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Oh my god, the 918 is simply out of this world. Nothing I had even driven even remotely comes close.

While I only had 4 laps around Weissach and the track is not even a long fast one, the driving experience is simply amazing. Like the other events, a 991 Turbo S leads and I had none other than Frank Walliser as my passenger.

Started out in hybrid mode, on electric only, after the first few corners, it seems very fast and I was talking about how I don't think I will ever use even 70% of the capability of the car on a track, Frank said right now I was only using 10% as I still haven't even gotten out of electric mode! How embarrassing, haha. 

Anyway another couple corners later in come sports hybrid mode and the engine comes to life, what a sound from the inside. next lap is Race mode, the exhaust sound is even louder and better.

Sorry had to brief, we had a late night last night and a early fight this morning, I will elaborate on my trip once I get home.

--

Haha,

glad that you had a great time! kiss

Waiting for you extended report...

Awesome mate!
    Happy to read you had such a good time and are satisfied with the car so far ;-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Great first impressions after finally getting to drive the car. looking forward to the detailed report. kiss

Enmanuel:

Great first impressions after finally getting to drive the car. looking forward to the detailed report. kiss

+1 Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

I can't imagine what it would be like with almost 900hp. Must be one big thrill!

Congrats, Whoopsy!  Awesome to hear!

--

Whoopsy:

WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Oh my god, the 918 is simply out of this world. Nothing I had even driven even remotely comes close.

While I only had 4 laps around Weissach and the track is not even a long fast one, the driving experience is simply amazing. Like the other events, a 991 Turbo S leads and I had none other than Frank Walliser as my passenger.

Started out in hybrid mode, on electric only, after the first few corners, it seems very fast and I was talking about how I don't think I will ever use even 70% of the capability of the car on a track, Frank said right now I was only using 10% as I still haven't even gotten out of electric mode! How embarrassing, haha. 

Anyway another couple corners later in come sports hybrid mode and the engine comes to life, what a sound from the inside. next lap is Race mode, the exhaust sound is even louder and better.

Sorry had to brief, we had a late night last night and a early fight this morning, I will elaborate on my trip once I get home.

Awesome!

I hope you went a litte sideways through the uphill chicane ;)

Finally home.

I had seen, heard and learnt so much, I am not even sure where to begin.

I guess every one is primarily interested in the 918 so I should start there.

There was a super nice 918 display 'showroom' at the delivery centre, which was where our tour started. A mock up of a 918 is there, painted liquid metal and the left side is a normal one while the right side is a Weissach pack version. A very nice visual display of the 2 configurations. Next to it behind some curtain sits a 991 painted in Acid Green with A LOT OF Acid Green trimming for the interior, very eye catching but a bit too much green for my taste :)

Next was the factory floor. For those of you that have seen the Russian youtube tour, that's pretty much it. Except during our visit there isn't a lot of workers, the engine line is off and apart from 4 completed engines, everything in progress was covered up with a black tarpaulin and no engine technicians are there. Every worker is very meticulous in their work and no one is rushing to finish. 

We were told right now they are building 10 cars a week, a car takes approximately 40hrs to build start to finish, after that the car will spend another week downstairs for a thorough testing before it is released. They are aiming to ramp up the production to doing 4 cars a day, so 20 cars a week.

Production sequence number 35 is finished at the front of the line and number 45 is just getting started on the monocoque. This should mean Porsche have built 35 complete cars now, but I figured there was more than that, as on the Russian video sequence number 61 destined for Brazil was filmed on the line. I guess that lucky Brazilian got his order to jump the queue, and all the Porsche family cars has also been built. Unfortunately for me, my car is not part of the ones on the floor and they wouldn't tell me my sequence number :( But since my car is not yet on the line, I was offered some custumization options that was not available at the dealer ordering level, and I did take up the order to change a few things :)

The most interesting part was that the engine, rear motor and transmission are hung from the carbon chassis with only 3 connections, 2 on either side of the cylinder heads and 1 at the transmission. This is quite different than almost any other cars where the engine and transmission sits on a mounting point. 

Dr Walliser joined us for lunch at Christophorus and we had some very interesting conversation about the 918 and the food. Funniest part was trying to judge the size of the steak, on the menu they are listed as grams, but we Canadians are used to oz, so when the question was bought up on how big a 250g steak is, instead of approximating like the rest of us, he whipped out his iPhone and open a converter app to give us the precise answer. 

When asked if there is anything else on the car he would like to change if there was more time, Dr Walliser said absolutely nothing, he is completely satisfied with the product. Also, on the topic of the front motor, and he would not go back to add a 2-speed transmission to utilize the front motor for the whole speed range. That little weight gain there cannot be justified, and the trade off of having a slower acceleration between 265km/hr to top speed is worth it as that part of the performance envelope is rarely utilized. The talk also involved a certain British manufacturer doing a copy cat  hybrid car. His view pretty much echoed what I had written before about the hybrid system being an after thought. He went further to say who in their right mind would design a sports car with the heavy battery sitting on top of the fuel tank if it's a ground up design. 

After lunch we headed to Weissach for a guided tour of the facility and some track time. Dr Walliser rejoin us there and he rides shot gun with us for our laps. The car we drove had the latest calibration and no journalists or outside had ever driven that firmware yet. For the record, I think those journalists that knocks the car for the electric steering and poor brake feel are just a bunch of whining sore losers. Maybe those early cars did feel a bit unpolished, those are prototypes  after all. But on the one I drove, there is no 'step' on the brakes even when I really try to look for it. 

As for the electric steering part, another bunch of baloney. The system is exactly the same as any other car, only difference is that instead of using hydraulics to boost the steering, electric motors are used. Those dinosaurs are just feeling so out of place in the new world that they HAD to try and piss on the new tech to justify their existence. Chris Harris was at least going at it with an open mind, but the 'other' British journalist has lost all creditability with me as my experience is quite opposite. 

Onto the driving part, apart from the embarrassing experience of having Dr Walliser telling me I am only using 10% of the car, he also keep telling me to go faster and faster even when I 'think' I am close to the limit, I wasn't, not even remotely close. I never even see the Weissach track, a lot of the corners are semi-blind too so even with a lead car I am not even close to hitting the proper line and apexes, the limit of the car is so high that even when I overshoot and turned more just to get back to the line, it never once got out of shape.

@FuManChu: I never got the car sideway once.

Dr Walliser told me the test drivers hit 280km/hr at the end of the straight, I think I did 220-240. Not. Even. Close. Again.

We had the roof closed, yet the exhaust sound is just fantastic inside, don't think I heard anything better. Even compared with the Ferraris. This one is a very manly bark, muscular, powerful. Also confirmed that the blue flames in Top Gear is real :) A couple afterburners like a jet fighter. 

Gearbox calibration is spot on, among all of us, no one touched the paddles once, all downshifts are perfectly timed for any corners entrance and exits. 

Weather was clear, but a bit windy and feels a bit chilly, after our laps we were huddling around the car with our hands on top of the engine like it was a bonfire, too bad no one took a picture, it was funny.

Also an interesting note from Dr Walliser. The engine is broken in from the factory. I asked because of the hybrid nature of the car, the engine may not get the exercise like normal cars fro the initial break in. The 918 will need around 500km break in for the other parts, like gearbox and stuff, but the engine is ready to go right from the start.

I think that's about it. Will add some pictures later, but since no pictures were allowed at Weissach and factory floor, don't expect a epic picture post :)

--

Wow! That sounds fantastic. What an experience.

Thanks so much for sharing! wink

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Fantastic Whoopsy! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this!

--

So nice to read first hand experiences . Thanks for sharing .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you Whoopsy! Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Fantastic read! thank you for sharing.

Big, big thanks! kiss

And something about the "final" spec of the car?

WOW - fantastic - as a owner I would have loved to get a lap from a pro with me in the passenger seat to just to get scared ! indecision

Thanks Woopsi. Glad you had such a great experience.

Could you elaborate on the options that were previously not available as i have a June delivery car and want to be sure i have missed nothing.

great writeup....thanks

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Exciting times for you - cherish and enjoy the experience - and please continue to share!!!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Whoopsy:

This one is a very manly bark, muscular, powerful.

This is exacly the same impression I got watching video reviews. Especially on Chris Harris video, when engine kicked in Smiley It was like sound shock Smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot for the report, Whoopsy. It sounds you had a great time in Weissach. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Btw, did you get Her Walliser to sign the CFRP panel for you? (or the diecast model)

--

Thanks so much for the inside info Whoopsy, great write up with so much valuable insight that journalists could never get to. I'm also curios about the options you added for your final spec. tells us more about that please. 

Thank you so much for sharing. Great writeup, fantasitic reading. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM