Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

ALDO:

Yes, all prices are without VAT. The price with VAT is around 220.000.€. 

The lease factor is 0,77% which is very low.

For this offer, you don't have to buy 5 VW cars per year!

Very cheap indeed Smiley No other car in that performance class could be have at such a low price, I would even say. Competing Products are be about 25%-35% more expensive Smiley

The question is, are we all idiots paying so much money for other sportscars? 

Look for a Porsche turbo cabrio you will have to pay 2.500 € lease rate. For me the R8 spyder is even the better choice and you save in two years 24.000 € or in 4 years 48.000 €. 

I do not known how Audi explains this to customers who have bought this car or leased it for 48 month and are paying more then 2.000 € - they must feel very angry.

--

AM

SciFrog:

The only real explanation is that the car doesn't sell well...

I think the R8 "suffers" from various difficulties in Germany:

1. Audi doesn't seem to advertise the car. At all. Also, sales training seems to see this car as a track car but customers interested in this car are usually looking for something else.

2. The depreciation of the first R8 generation is quite strong and many of these cars fell into the "wrong" hands. Some of the customers tune/wrap these cars in a pretty offensive way.

3. Many interested sportcars buyers were never really having the R8 on their radar, for various reasons. The first generation wasn't exactly a good track car and the brand Audi is not something people would associate with a supersportscar.

4. Audi didn't exactly advertise the R8 tech, when I tell people that the Huracan and the R8 share more than 70% of parts, people look at me as if I'm nuts. Maybe Audi (or VW?) doesn't want to advertise this because of marketing reasons, no clue but I noticed that many people think that the new R8 is just a facelift of the old one, which is weird.

5. The V10 engine scares off buyers, as weird as this may sound. My Porsche dealer told me that buyers almost always ask about fuel consumption when they want to buy a 911, especially the Turbo or Turbo S.

6. You cannot really impress with an...Audi. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Aston Martin, etc. buyers often buy the brand name as well. For many, an Audi is just...an Audi. Unlike me, they do not look at the tech or how the car drives and what emotions it creates. Which is unfortunate but to each his own I guess. I do not judge. Also, people compare prices and paying 220k EUR for an Audi when they can get a Huracan, 488, a 570S or a 991 Turbo S for basically the same money?

7. The R8 is sold at regular Audi dealers. Meaning: Those who sell an Audi A1 also sell a R8. Many Audi sales persons are not even allowed to drive R8 and only a selected few get R8 sales training. Their enthusiasm to sell the R8 is limited. My sales guy was admitted to R8 sales training after I recommended him to his boss. Weird.

8. In Germany, people usually want to lease the R8 because they fear a high depreciation (based on the fate of the old one). My dealer had 5(!) R8 customers who "fell through" with VW Financial (lease company). Within a couple of months only. VW Financial is very strict lately about credit scores and my Porsche dealer had similar issues with some of his customers lately. If they cannot lease, they do not buy. Some of these customers, mostly handymen and such or young entrepeneurs, have the cash but cannot really use it because once they pay a certain sum in cash, the tax office is allover them. 

Long story short: My dealer doesn't seem to be unhappy with R8 sales numbers but I also have to admit that I have not seen these numbers.

Personally, I think that the R8 doesn't sell (if it doesn't sell) in Germany for three reasons: It is too expensive for an Audi, the V10 engine scares buyers off (fuel consumption, emissions, don't laugh...this stuff is important to many here) and the car looks like an exotic, which either is a good thing (but then why not buy a Huracan or whatever instead?) or bad thing (social awareness in Germany, one reason the 911 Turbo is so popular here).

I got a very good lease deal myself, so yes...this has definetely been one of the reasons I chose this car and I am actually very very surprised that me and Conny seem to be the only ones here. Especially considering the fact that the R8 is not only reliable but also very easy to maintain. I mentioned it before: I had my windshield exchanged in two days. A Huracan exchange would have lasted two weeks because the windshield was on backorder. Also when traveling, you can go to basically any Audi dealer if you have smaller issues. For me, this is really worth gold because it reduces my stress level.

My advice still stands: If someone is interested in a fun sportscar, have a test-ride in a R8 V10 Plus (DO NOT testdrive the non Plus version, it has a very comfy and unsporty chassis setup!) and try to forget about brands. Right now, I love my R8 so much that I am thinking of buying it when the lease ends. I may however go for the facelift with RWS though but only if the V10 engine and it's wonderful sound stays.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

ALDO:

The question is, are we all idiots paying so much money for other sportscars? 

A friend just told me lately that if I wouldn't have directed him towards the R8, he would have never considered it. It just wasn't on his radar. Don't forget that I myself went actually to the Audi dealer to get a RS6, not the R8. 😂 

Look for a Porsche turbo cabrio you will have to pay 2.500 € lease rate. For me the R8 spyder is even the better choice and you save in two years 24.000 € or in 4 years 48.000 €. 

With the V10 Plus Spyder coming, things could change but I still think that many people are buying the brand name as well and there is no doubt that a 911 Turbo Cab has a certain (positive) reputation and looks socially more acceptable as well.

I do not known how Audi explains this to customers who have bought this car or leased it for 48 month and are paying more then 2.000 € - they must feel very angry.

Is there anyone who paid that much money for the R8? I doubt it. 😉

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

looking forward to seeing the R8 V10 Plus Spyder

RC:
    SciFrog:

The only real explanation is that the car doesn't sell well...

I think the R8 "suffers" from various difficulties in Germany:

1. Audi doesn't seem to advertise the car. At all. Also, sales training seems to see this car as a track car but customers interested in this car are usually looking for something else.

2. The depreciation of the first R8 generation is quite strong and many of these cars fell into the "wrong" hands. Some of the customers tune/wrap these cars in a pretty offensive way.

3. Many interested sportcars buyers were never really having the R8 on their radar, for various reasons. The first generation wasn't exactly a good track car and the brand Audi is not something people would associate with a supersportscar.

4. Audi didn't exactly advertise the R8 tech, when I tell people that the Huracan and the R8 share more than 70% of parts, people look at me as if I'm nuts. Maybe Audi (or VW?) doesn't want to advertise this because of marketing reasons, no clue but I noticed that many people think that the new R8 is just a facelift of the old one, which is weird.

5. The V10 engine scares off buyers, as weird as this may sound. My Porsche dealer told me that buyers almost always ask about fuel consumption when they want to buy a 911, especially the Turbo or Turbo S.

6. You cannot really impress with an...Audi. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Aston Martin, etc. buyers often buy the brand name as well. For many, an Audi is just...an Audi. Unlike me, they do not look at the tech or how the car drives and what emotions it creates. Which is unfortunate but to each his own I guess. I do not judge. Also, people compare prices and paying 220k EUR for an Audi when they can get a Huracan, 488, a 570S or a 991 Turbo S for basically the same money?

7. The R8 is sold at regular Audi dealers. Meaning: Those who sell an Audi A1 also sell a R8. Many Audi sales persons are not even allowed to drive R8 and only a selected few get R8 sales training. Their enthusiasm to sell the R8 is limited. My sales guy was admitted to R8 sales training after I recommended him to his boss. Weird.

8. In Germany, people usually want to lease the R8 because they fear a high depreciation (based on the fate of the old one). My dealer had 5(!) R8 customers who "fell through" with VW Financial (lease company). Within a couple of months only. VW Financial is very strict lately about credit scores and my Porsche dealer had similar issues with some of his customers lately. If they cannot lease, they do not buy. Some of these customers, mostly handymen and such or young entrepeneurs, have the cash but cannot really use it because once they pay a certain sum in cash, the tax office is allover them. 

Long story short: My dealer doesn't seem to be unhappy with R8 sales numbers but I also have to admit that I have not seen these numbers.

Personally, I think that the R8 doesn't sell (if it doesn't sell) in Germany for three reasons: It is too expensive for an Audi, the V10 engine scares buyers off (fuel consumption, emissions, don't laugh...this stuff is important to many here) and the car looks like an exotic, which either is a good thing (but then why not buy a Huracan or whatever instead?) or bad thing (social awareness in Germany, one reason the 911 Turbo is so popular here).

I got a very good lease deal myself, so yes...this has definetely been one of the reasons I chose this car and I am actually very very surprised that me and Conny seem to be the only ones here. Especially considering the fact that the R8 is not only reliable but also very easy to maintain. I mentioned it before: I had my windshield exchanged in two days. A Huracan exchange would have lasted two weeks because the windshield was on backorder. Also when traveling, you can go to basically any Audi dealer if you have smaller issues. For me, this is really worth gold because it reduces my stress level.

My advice still stands: If someone is interested in a fun sportscar, have a test-ride in a R8 V10 Plus (DO NOT testdrive the non Plus version, it has a very comfy and unsporty chassis setup!) and try to forget about brands. Right now, I love my R8 so much that I am thinking of buying it when the lease ends. I may however go for the facelift with RWS though but only if the V10 engine and it's wonderful sound stays.

I also own 2017 V10 Plus, I traded my 991 TTS for it and i don't regret it. i wanted an R8 since they offered the V10 engine, but i had to wait for the new model since Stronic was only an option with the face lift.

People just need to be open minded, ignore the Audi brand (which in Germany is a plus since you get a more socially acceptable car plus easier repairs/maintenance than real exotics) and they need to take a test drive.

Especially now when lease offers or rebates are quite interesting (not as interesting as ALDO wants to suggest though, I contacted my sales guy and what ALDO posted are FLEET offers starting with five cars and more, very confusing since they are not available to the ordinary buyer).

In my opinion, the R8 V10 Plus (very important!) is one of the most amazing sports cars on the market, even if it isn't perfect (tire choice, Audi could easily adapt the new PZero the 991.2 Turbo S uses but they want to wait until the facelift, when the R8 gets real wheel steering and the Cup 2 is also not a very good track choice since the Trofeo R available for the Huracan is the much better track choice).

When the V10 engine disappears, people will regret not getting one.

--

A used R8 in Europe is probably the best buy at the moment. Huge value at the prices they are asking. Crazy how it dropped so fast so quickly.

noone1:

A used R8 in Europe is probably the best buy at the moment. Huge value at the prices they are asking. Crazy how it dropped so fast so quickly.

If you can get a "good" used one...yes. Those built 2016 and later with all the options (laser light, carbon engine bay, magnetic ride, sport exhaust and dynamic steering) are pretty rare I'm afraid. Usually the cars are made before 2016 (early production cars) and they lack one of the options, usually laser light or full carbon engine bay (not that this cannot be retrofitted or is really necessary, same goes to laser light...minus the retrofit possibility).

Dealers are clever though: There are many 2015 cars out there which were registered in 2016. Clever.

Better way (in my opinion): Find a dealer who wants to register a new car (optioned by you), drive the first 1000 km to run it in, then let the dealer do another 2000-3000 km and then take the car for good. Saves HUGE amounts of money, even if you lease it. These cars come usually with a 5 year warranty, so no risk involved. Smiley

The good part is: In the past, they let (almost) anyone drive these cars but my dealer for example had a test drive customer crash a car (totaled!) right after I got mine, so now they only give out test-drives for select customers. This may upset a couple of interested customers but they just don't want to risk it anymore. Same goes to other Audi dealers in Germany. My local dealer for example only permits test-drives with the sales person next to the driver or, when drivers are too young, the sales person drives. 

The restriction of test-drives also means that people will usually handle these cars with care now...well...hopefully.

--

sfo:

looking forward to seeing the R8 V10 Plus Spyder

Me too.  In particular, while the Coupe looks bland the spider is among the best looking sportscars out there, imho.  The R8 must be one of the cars with the greatest difference in term of look between coupe and spider versions.

Yes, the Spyder looks amazing (at par with the Huracan Spyder in my opinion) but the Coupe looks much better live, believe it or not. Photos don't do the Coupe justice.

Only thing I do not like about the Spyder is the engine bay cover (you cannot see the engine) but I've been told that there may be a solution available for the V10 Plus Spyder if they can get it to work. The additional weight is also an issue but whoever buys a Spyder wouldn't probably really care.

Personally, I am very interested in the R8 facelift, if they keep the V10 engine...and the sound.

Was interested in a possible R8 GT but even if it comes, it will be more track focused (like the Huracan Performante) and I prefer the RWS over the sophisticated active aero of the Performante. 2019 is going to be interesting.

--

Maybe the fact that the spyder doesn't come in plus version makes a difference too. You said the non plus version is nowhere near as good... and for many buying such a sport car but with a fixed roof doesn't make sense. 

SciFrog:

Maybe the fact that the spyder doesn't come in plus version makes a difference too. You said the non plus version is nowhere near as good... and for many buying such a sport car but with a fixed roof doesn't make sense. 

Probably the reason Audi offers a Spyder V10 Plus soon. Smiley

The Huracan gets the facelift in 2018, so I think the Huracan Spyder is good (Huracan facelift gets RWS, what we actually expected from the Performante). R8 gets the facelift in 2019 but this year, a cheaper R8 with V6 Biturbo engine will be presented (using the engine the Panamera 4S uses but probably with 450-500 hp). Entry price around 130k EUR...

--

A bit underwhelming, especially that 20 hp power upgrade through a new exhaust system. Apparently they didn't touch the engine or the ECU software. Rumors indicate that Audi put a lid to engine tuning because of a possible R8 GT coming...what a shame. ABT is well connected and has close ties to Audi, they are basically Audi's "house tuner".

The optical tuning kind of ruins the car, even if it looks more aggressive now. Not a fan. The Alcantara interior is nice though.

Would love to know how they achieved a 50 kg weight reduction, this would be interesting. Probably threw out most of the dampening material and the HiFi system. LOL

I had high hopes, especially after talking to Daniel Abt but... Smiley

ABT_R8_V10_plus_Coupe_4S00_2016_003.jpg
    ABT_R8_V10_plus_Coupe_4S00_2016_002.jpg
    ABT_R8_V10_plus_Coupe_4S00_NEWS.png

--

Awful.

noone1:

Awful.

This kind of "tuning" is the reason people refrain from getting the R8...and I can understand it. Smiley

--

Fugly mail

Gosh, that's horrendous. heart

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Looks like an R8 trying to disguise as a Lambo...

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Far too aggressive and from behind it's even more horrible. I have already done with the color red for my R8, bad experiences in Munich.

--

Very appropriate for your next ricer street race mail

Dreadful.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

vulgar

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Absolutely normal result, that´s what tuners do best, they mess with balanced stock lines and make the car look like a transformer.

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Absolutely normal result, that´s what tuners do best, they mess with balanced stock lines and make the car look like a transformer.

I was wondering if they had some assistance from team Camaro. (thinking Transformer) Smiley

Way cool! 

But hey... I'm still young. indecision

J.Seven:

I expected better from ABT but I kind of have the feeling that they changed over the past years... Smiley

Latest info I have is that it was too difficult to achieve more power without substantial engine mods and the exhaust was the only way to do it...for relatively little money. Engine in it's current state is good for around 650 hp, the facelift will get something around 635-640 hp. Huracan Performante gets 640 hp out of this engine, with a new exhaust system and new intake from GT3 car. Engine internals are rumored to have stayed the same.

ABT tried to increase fuel pressure and lower fuel temperature but this didn't pan out.

--

bluelines:

Looks like an R8 trying to disguise as a Lambo...

I wish, this doesn't even try to look like a Lambo... Smiley Smiley 

--

IMG_5735.JPG

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

This Aventador looks better than that ABT crap... 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688883 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408862 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65442 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773631 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM