Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Thanks again Whoopsy for your impressions.  Your not ideal feedback on the 911R reinforces my opinion on the car as I never got the hype about it.

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

Honestly, the R rides better for the street, the rear view is better without the big wing compared with a GT3RS.

I will reserve final judgement on the R until I get a chance to drive my 3.6 first.

But first impression is actually not good. Yes the 6-speed is nice, the car is understated, at least in my config, but the auto rev match is like cheating, a manual car has no place on roads with traffic (I was stuck in Munich traffic for 30 mins). The car is also missing a manual hand brake if it is with a manual transmission. 

On the open road, the car is fine, do love the fact that I am choosing the gear myself, and it makes the right sound, one of the greatest 911 sound ever. For the 991 range, I have driven the C2S, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3RS and now the R, the best among the range is still the Turbo S. It just the perfect all around car. I can put it in manual to select my own gear, it has great traction no matter the weather, it will hold its own against just about anything on a track, and on street road it basically has no equals. Even on mountain switchbacks, the damn thing just EXPLODES from corner to corner, and the car is so controllable that I am not even afraid to hang the tail out on those Alpine hairpins. 

GT3RS great on the track, no one will dispute it, it also make the greatest sound, like the R, but it just missing that tiny bit of agility out of corners, no matter what gear I leave it in, it still lacks the torque to explode on corner exits like the Turbo S. 

The R tried to go back to old school, to the old days of manual NA 911s, but it's missing the 'effort level'. One has to work to enjoy fully an old 911, but the R make it look easy but at the same time takes away the joy of 'taming' a 911. 

Sunday I wil take it through the alpine passes I did with a Turbo S last Sept, so I will have a good comparison that's for sure.

This kind of review is the very best one can happen to read on the Internet. Too few people have the ability/possibility/courage to just describe what a certain car really is, and what not - without looking at etiquette and expectations of "normal" people who just like everything without being able to feel the nuances between A+, A, A- and B Smiley

Dutch writes in a similar way. Just wonderful Smiley

Indeed these types of reviews have always been what makes Rennteam unique.Smiley

The Dutch bad driver reviews?

Sorry Joost :)

--

Whoopsy:

In the 911R, it will not be the speed that has the thrills, it will be the effort level. The way one can keep changing gears during the pass. With sports mode on it will be like cheating. With it off then it will be challenge. 

So I guess we'll see 964T stays in ur garage but 911R would leave

Ziggy:

Thanks again Whoopsy for your impressions.  Your not ideal feedback on the 911R reinforces my opinion on the car as I never got the hype about it.

+1

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Rossi:
    MKSGR:

Dutch writes in a similar way. Just wonderful Smiley

The Dutch are the ones with the yellow license plate, mentioned by Whoopsy in its post above. Smiley
    I guess you mean Futch. Smiley

Many thanks... The spell check screwed my email a bit, giving it a slightly different meaning Smiley

NL = Nur Links. indecision angry

Many dutch drivers forget that we don't have a speed limit on the German Autobahn but we have something called "Rechtsfahrgebot" (meaning: The law indicates that after passing a car, you need to move back to the slower lane on the right...especially if you have faster cars behind you). No, 160 or 180 kph is not really fast. indecision angry

Joking aside, many German drivers don't behave differently and what is worse (I notice it more and more on the German Autobahn), they pass you on the right at a high speed if the traffic on the left lane slows down even a little bit.

As a reminder for those driving in Germany (incl. Germans): Passing on the right is forbidden on the German Autobahn and the existing exception is something many drivers seem to misunderstand. ONLY if the traffic on the left lane drops to 60 kph or slower, you are allowed to pass on the right at a speed of up to 20 kph more.

So if you drive on the Autobahn at let's say 120 kph and someone passes you on the right, even at 5 kph more, it is ILLEGAL. Even German drivers don't seem to have a clue about that and just recently, someone passed me at night(!) on the right lane while I was doing 180 kph on the left lane with traffic in front of me. Absolutely incredible, so many idiots on the roads recently.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Hahaha and I opologize for my countrymen!

I have been driving on the German Autobahn a lot the last few months and I think I understand the differences between driving on the Autobahn and the snleweg (Dutch highways);

In the Netherlands, the maximum speed on highways is 130 km/h. So, if you drive around that speed or a bit higher, you will mostly be the top dog without much effort and therefore drive in the left lane. On top of that, most Dutch highways have only two lanes, with lorries and elderly hogging the left lanes at 100km/h, so EVERYBODY wants to be in the left lane. If you want to drive faster, you basically have to wrestle your way through, which is both stressful and illegal.

In Germany, especially the roads I have been driving (which are the empty highways in the Northwest), you shouldn't drive in the left lane unless you are doing 170km/h MINIMUM and still watch your mirrors closely for those cars ovetaking you at over 200km/h.

What I love is that when the roads are a bit more empty, the people doing really high speeds are showing this by going to the left lane really early. This allows you to see the difference between cars doing 150 and those doing 200.
    Also, the "peck order" of the brands works fine; whenever I drive in Germany, I have the slightly larger (for European/Dutch) typical lease kind of cars (5-series equivalent), which gives people an indication that you will probably drive a bit faster than 120...

For me, the rules on the Autbahn are: Stay in the right lane, signal, move early and stick to speed limits if they are there; on unrestricted autobahn sections, often you'll find a restriction back to 80/100/120 km/h when there are ramps onto the highway, and these ramps are often very short, so these restrictions are not for nothing.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

RC:

NL = Nur Links. indecision angry

SmileySmileySmiley 

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG

--

kiss

kiss

--

indecisionkiss

No Italian security folks to move you along?

Must be coffee break time 

kiss

kiss

DJM48:

No Italian security folks to move you along?

Must be coffee break time 

kiss

Nah, he probably bribed them to take this photo... Smiley Smiley

Whoopsy was lucky, what he did is considered a sacrilege in Italy. I am surprised he is still alive. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Hey, it was Sunday evening in Italy, obviously there will be no one working at the factory!

--

Whoopsy:

Hey, it was Sunday evening in Italy, obviously there will be no one working at the factory!

Plus you were at the back entrance.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

This is where the shady stuff happens... Smiley

--

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

That explains why I didn't recognize where Nick was. I was at the factory about 10 years ago and the entrance didn't look like that. indecision

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

There are two factories. One in town and one outside of town. This one is the one outside, and it is the main entrance. 

The other one in town is where you often see the spy pics of development cars coming out of it. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

There is actually 3 entrances angel

The red building one is the main one off Via Abertone Inferiore, would be hard to stop there for a pic as the road is busy and the security will say something.

The one I took a pic with it's the back door as Futch has said, that's also the main parking lot which was completely empty.

There is also a side entrance that the developmental cars comes in and out. I saw the same 812 Superfast came in today after I saw it last night. 

We did the tour, ate at the restaurant across where Enzo loved to eat, then headed over to Pagani for a tour. Spent some time talking to Horacio about cars via his son Chris. His impression about the 'current' Porsches might surprises a lot of people. heck even Ferrari too.

His TdF, drove it for a week, then it is parked inside the factory since. Didn't like how the car drive and behave.

911R, he drove it from Porsche Modena to his home, then parked it since. Didn't like the sound, not special enough.

918, a bit too quiet inside the car with the roof on, and too much wind noise with the roof off, but the car sounded fantastic from the outside.

His current daily favourite is the GT4. (yes blueline, I can hear you laughing now) 

When Zonda first came out, the noise limit was 83 db, that means he got a lot to work with, but the current regulation is 73db and that's tough to do proper sounding exhaust. 

In his mind, the best sounding car is, maybe a bit biased, is his Zonda Cinque Roadster. 

--

Oh boy.

Whoopsy:

His current daily favourite is the GT4. (yes blueline, I can hear you laughing now) 

indecision

--

Whoopsy:

I can see Bluelines framing this post on his wall of fame right next to last year's EVO eCoty results. Smiley

The problem for us, GT4 owners, is that we always want more, a new one. But it will be difficult to beat such a great and high value (for its price) weekend car.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Whoopsy:

His current daily favourite is the GT4.

SmileySmiley. No accounting for taste  - look at his TDF SmileySmiley

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Until the.2GT3 is introduced, The GT4 may be his favorite.k

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

I know some of the 911R owners on RL skipped the single mass flywheel due to a parts delay and ended up being happy about it because the car is now more usable everyday.  But then the car has less character for performance driving.

GT4 is pretty easy to drive in stop in go traffic up to 20 minutes (never been caught in anything more), so the single mass sounds like a pain for that purpose.

nberry:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Until the.2GT3 is introduced, The GT4 may be his favorite.k

I doubt he will get a .2 GT3. It is not special enough to line up next to a 918, R and GT4 Smiley 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690944 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410104 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858765 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775068 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM