Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016)

noone1:
    MKSGR:

Btw, don't see why somebody would compare a 100d with a proper sports car (like in this video):

If driven properly a 991 turbo s will deliver the same 0-60 performance as this ugly Tesla (sorry, these cars look like  Ford cars to me...). But after the first 2.6s the Porsche will just kill the Tesla. The Tesla is a slow pig above 100kph. Even a normal Ford will be quicker then :-)

The Model X with seats for 7 will do the same thing...

The point is that Tesla is putting down supercar performance in a very common usage while still being a sedan or SUV with tons of space.

Your idea of performance (0-60) and "drives fine" (Tesla) may be completely different to other's, including mine, that is why you don't get why others can't even put a Tesla in the same sentence as a Porsche, Lambo, etc. Like I said on another post, you are missing out big time of the joy of driving and experiencing a sportscar for what it really is. 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Wonderbar:

Panamera Turbo 7:38

The interior seems a bit off for a sedan car Smiley

noone1:

Fast up until 100 mph and handles just fine on the vast majority of public roads. Want to see a roll race now? Tesla hurts a lot of feelings...

https://youtu.be/Wbr3hHy28AA?t=1m47s

I already posted the timeslip. 1/4 miles on the 100D is 10.7. You can't be fast only up to 60mph and still do 10.7. Just accept that the Tesla hurts feelings in most realistic acceleration scenarios.

These videos are made by Tesla for school boys, seems to me, or for tech people from SF who have no clue... Fact is a car like rhe Tesla can compete with a 991 turbo s (I stick with this example) from 0-60. In all other situations the Tesla gets ripped into pieces (of course assuming the drivers using both cars properly - and also assuming we are not witnessing the production of a Tesla marketing video for above mentioned customer group :-)).

Do you feel this is fast Smiley (Please note: in these videos they say "0-200" - not correcting for the speedo inaccuracy, i.e. the real performance is even slower)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saf_PYeuQCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqP79nU5MwU

Just two examples of regular customer cars...

First comment on that video:

Jays200 1 day ago

Really!!! Old Model X photo and Model S display :( Clickbait. Got me

noone1:

Fast up until 100 mph and handles just fine on the vast majority of public roads. Want to see a roll race now? Tesla hurts a lot of feelings...

I already posted the timeslip. 1/4 miles on the 100D is 10.7. You can't be fast only up to 60mph and still do 10.7. Just accept that the Tesla hurts feelings in most realistic acceleration scenarios.

If you go to 1.58 in this video you see what I mean with "the Tesla gets ripped into pieces". At any higher speed it is a mere joke to compare a Tesla with a proper sportscar. And we only see straight line tests in these videos. These heavy Tesla pigs on twisted roads is the opposite of fun.

These cars are made mainly for tech people with limited insight into cars available on the market. Sorry to say so. They watch a video like the above and think: at least the Tesla is new, trending in my local environment and is fast up to 60mph, and a higher speed I can not control anyhow - too risky. I rather play with the gadgets of this car...

noone1:

First comment on that video:

Jays200 1 day ago

Really!!! Old Model X photo and Model S display :( Clickbait. Got me

Smiley There are videos about the Airbus 380 in this link...

That's the comment from the video you posted. 

noone1:

That's the comment from the video you posted. 

Now I get it Smiley

Could not find any other 0-200 videos of the higher performance models of Tesla, unfortunately. It seems few buyers test it at higher speeds - or they do but rather not post videos about the outcome...

MKSGR:
    noone1:

If you go to 1.58 in this video you see what I mean with "the Tesla gets ripped into pieces". At any higher speed it is a mere joke to compare a Tesla with a proper sportscar. And we only see straight line tests in these videos. These heavy Tesla pigs on twisted roads is the opposite of fun.

These cars are made mainly for tech people with limited insight into cars available on the market. Sorry to say so. They watch a video like the above and think: at least the Tesla is new, trending in my local environment and is fast up to 60mph, and a higher speed I can not control anyhow - too risky. I rather play with the gadgets of this car...

Who cares what happens after 1.58? They're already going probably 120mph! I can count on my hand the number of times I've seen a car doing 120 mph on a public road outside of Germany.

noone1:
    MKSGR:
    noone1:

Who cares what happens after 1.58? They're already going probably 120mph! I can count on my hand the number of times I've seen a car doing 120 mph on a public road outside of Germany.

I see your point, but then please refer to the logic in my earlier post (engineering quality of cars designed for high-speed driving vs engineering quality of a Tesla) Smiley

Also, you probably agree that for German buyers the Tesla is nothing one could seriously consider... The car would be embarrassing to drive on the Autobahn Smiley

noone1:
    MKSGR:
    noone1:

Probably more like 100mph (i.e. about 5-6s after the start at apporox 50mph the Tesla performance brakes down).

Couldn't be that embarrassing. I passed many a sportcar in a Ford minivan thing cruising around 200 kph going back and forth between Bremen and Berlin. I recall a silver 911 Turbo who was just cruising casually. He didn't seem embarrassed to be going a much lower speed...

BiTurbo:

How about continuous 6 laps ?

Which one will run out of breath first ?

Tesla

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

noone1:

Couldn't be that embarrassing. I passed many a sportcar in a Ford minivan thing cruising around 200 kph going back and forth between Bremen and Berlin. I recall a silver 911 Turbo who was just cruising casually. He didn't seem embarrassed to be going a much lower speed...

I was exaggerating a bit Smiley

noone1:

Would you believe me if I tell you that even in my Mini JCW, I am usually the fastest guy on the Autobahn? People in their sportscars seem to cruise often, this is true and to be honest...I haven't the slightest clue why. Smiley 

The only time I kept it at around 160 kph on the Autobahn was when I was traveling together with my wife (in the 991.1 GTS Cab) to Italy last summer. I drove behind her because she isn't too fond of longer trips and hates it to drive herself. It was her idea though, she wanted to have a Cab in Italy and with two kids, the two car solution was the only choice for us. We are going to do the same this spring. Smiley

I enjoy driving my cars at max (respecting legal speeds of course). Most drivers seem to enjoy a slower ride, especially when they travel from A to B. To each his own.

Tesla has certainly found a market, true and the performance of their cars is amazing and I can see how appealing this performance is in the US, where people usually only rush from one red light to the other, unless they go on the track. Still: There are nice roads, especially of the curvy type, where the Tesla sucks. This is no sports car, even if it can embarrass many of them straight line. 

Btw: The Tesla P100D did 0-100 kph in 3.1 seconds in Ludicrous mode (tested by a German car magazine using a standardized review method), the R8 V10 Plus did 2.9 seconds, the Huracan did 2.8 seconds. I think the new 991.2 Turbo S did even 2.7 seconds as far as I remember. So while it may surprise some people, the acceleration is pretty much the same. And if the Tesla does that three times, the battery charge probably lasts for 200 km less than the 83 l fuel tank of my R8 V10 Plus. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:
    noone1:
    MKSGR:
    noone1:

Probably more like 100mph (i.e. about 5-6s after the start at apporox 50mph the Tesla performance brakes down).

Except for Germany you simply cannot drive above 90mph without risking your license. So like noone1 said, what happens after 100mph is irrelevant except for Germans and that's why Tesla sales obliterate the others in the luxury sedan segment in the USA. EV is the future. 

It's a Panamera's thread, why is it being polluted by all this electric appliance on wheels crap?

faster to 60? Good for you, only a total Douche is racing other cars from light to light in a city environment and this is the only reason to fame for that commuter.

You can't even get to 60 in a city...

absent:

It's a Panamera's thread, why is it being polluted by all this electric appliance on wheels crap?

Because everyone is curious about Porsche's course with hybrids?

faster to 60? Good for you, only a total Douche is racing other cars from light to light in a city environment and this is the only reason to fame for that commuter.

I didn't start this 0-60 nonsense. Smiley

ELVs won't succeed as long as the technology changes rapidly and as long as charging takes that long and there aren't sufficient charging stations. I understand the appeal of a Tesla but wouldn't get one. At least not as a single car. Maybe as a novelty/gadget if I had enough money to afford various different cars.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Right RC. I hesitated and didn't get an EV this time either. Still it is the future...

SciFrog:

Right RC. I hesitated and didn't get an EV this time either. Still it is the future...

It probably is...if Tesla survives and if major car manufacturers jump the train. Still...a distant future in my opinion, maybe in 20 years or later (as a mass phenomenon)... I'm not kidding. 

--

At aventura mall the most visited store after the Apple one seemed to be the Tesla one. They were getting much more attention than the hurracan a few doors down... granted the shoppers there are not "mass market"...

SciFrog:

At aventura mall the most visited store after the Apple one seemed to be the Tesla one. They were getting much more attention than the hurracan a few doors down... granted the shoppers there are not "mass market"...

True but most people visiting Tesla there seem to be tourists from South America. For them, a Tesla is probably more rare than a Lamborghini. Smiley

--

I drove with a friend on mountain roads in a Tesla - no comparisons by the smalles of curves being involved.....case closed. I am also rather sure that the Panamera will handle better than a Tesla without having driving the new Turbo. Instant torque of course can't be beaten by a NA engine. (interesting would be how Long you can Play-around in a Tesla (like on a track)

BjoernB:

I drove with a friend on mountain roads in a Tesla - no comparisons by the smalles of curves being involved.....case closed. I am also rather sure that the Panamera will handle better than a Tesla without having driving the new Turbo. Instant torque of course can't be beaten by a NA engine. (interesting would be how Long you can Play-around in a Tesla (like on a track)

The new Panamera Turbo S is the fastest car in it's weight class on the Nordschleife. I heard that it won't be slower than the Turbo on the Nordschleife, not that it really matters but it is impressive for such a weight.

Of course this is no track car but it shows the development knowhow Porsche has put into this car.

--

And what class weight is that supposed to be? SUV?

To put things in perspective. Weight DIN Panamera turbo S hybrid 2310kg Macan turbo 1925kg

SciFrog:

And what class weight is that supposed to be? SUV?

To put things in perspective. Weight DIN Panamera turbo S hybrid 2310kg Macan turbo 1925kg

Just wait for the S8 Plus...the next Bentley Hybrid, etc....Smiley Smiley

Doesn't matter, the Panamera Turbo S is fast as hell on the track, even if the tires are probably done after one full round on the Nordschleife. Smiley Smiley

--

I know this is a bit of marketing fluff, but it is still worth a read.  It describes the Porsche's efforts to design a high quality interior for the Panamera.  

https://presse.porsche.de/prod/presse_pag/PressResources.nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=706236&pid=927D7789DA2C4...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM