Crown

Forum - Thread

Beware dealer visits

A few days ago I visited my local dealer to chat about the Cayman GTS. It will start trickling through in about August. There was not a lot of information about specifics of models for Australia, and we do not yet have the car on our configurator.

Anyway........ One thing led to another and I walked out having signed on the dotted line for a car which had just arrived as a stock car, still under wraps. 

Specs:

991 Carrera S

Carrara white

Black full leather

PDK

Sports PASM (-20mm)

Sport Techno wheels,

Wheels painted black

Sports chrono

Sport design steering wheel

Park Assist (front and  rear)

Electric folding exterior mirrors

Electric glass sunroof

Porsche entry and drive

Deletion of model designation 

Deletion of rear wiper

I would not have picked a sunroof but  I like the black colour glass with the white car. The only thing missing for me was sports exhaust, which is being fitted before I collect the car, and sports seats.

Overall it is pretty much perfect for me (apart from the  price in Australia but hey this is a great place to live!!). Now the torture of waiting for the next seven days....

IMG_1409.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1407.jpg

Re: Beware dealer visits

Congratulations, great choice. kiss

This is why I keep visits to my dealer, any car dealer, as limited as possible. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Congrats Smiley

--

J.Seven

blushIndeed congrats and good choice! I love the color 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

Looks great ! white and black is always such a perfect combo for the 911. and the options list is sweet !

kiss

Congrats! wink Good choice! kiss

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

interesting that the panels in front and behind the sunroof appear to be in body colour .. or are they plastic coverings?

991 sunroofs have black front and back panels usually

sfo:

interesting that the panels in front and behind the sunroof appear to be in body colour .. or are they plastic coverings?

991 sunroofs have black front and back panels usually

Good eye. Smiley

Beautiful car BTW, many congrats. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

No that is a plastic covering on top of the black panels. If you look closely at the front you can see the edge of the white strip stops short of the edge where you can see that it is black.

The process of leaving and returning to Porsche has been a bit of a story. Previously I had a 996 C4S and then a 997 C4S (cobalt blue with 997 turbo wheels). I loved the 997 like a child and had it for five years. I sold the last car at the time of the release of the 991, when there was a lot of bad press about its steering. I had a (brief) test drive of the 991 at the time and got a bit caught up in the hype about the steering feel. 

I decided to go with an Aston Martin Vantage V8 S. It is a beautiful looking car with an amazing sound, lots of V8 urge and bespoke interior. I wanted a change and the car did have great steering feel. However, as time has gone by the single plate clutch automated manual transmission has been driving me insane. It is really clunky and slurs on the change ups quite badly unless the change is done above 5000 rpm. The sound which was initially so addictive becomes a bit embarrassing around town if pushing on the the power. Everybody loves the Aston, especially my young adult son's friends and my wife's girlfriends - even those who don't "like cars". And the car has had several little niggles whereas my previous experience with Porsche was glitch free. In the end, everybody loves my Aston. Everyone except me.

My dealer has played a few dirty tricks along the way. Like giving me a 991 Carrera S for a weekend about a year ago. I got to drive on some favourite roads out of town. The thing that stayed with me was how much the game has moved on now. Everything about the 991 seemed to be a step up in modernity, and the transmission is like night and day compared to the Aston. The power keeps coming as the gear changes are so fast. The steering seemed great on good roads, and the suspension compliant when it needed to be compared to the fixed sports suspension of the Aston.

I kept trying to love the Aston but like a fading relationship, the writing was on the wall. I came to realise that I don't enjoy being "seen" by everyone when I am driving. What is most important is the driving experience, the seat of the pants feel, the connection to the road, the feeling of instant response and the car being nimble, not how pretty it is. I have Porsche adherent to my DNA and nothing else will do.

So I was ripe for the picking when I dropped in to the dealer. The offer was good on the Aston (relatively speaking as their 2nd hand values have been tanking) and the white Carrera pushes all my buttons.

I am back with Porsche Deutschland GMBH !!!!

Interesting journey. Having gone from 997 to 991 I don't regret a thing. Steering feedback is great for everyday use and PDK is a huge leap forward over the manual car I had previously.

Not so sure of the colour of the Macan next to it! smiley

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Congratulations. Beautiful car. Cars with Sport PASM look perfect in terms of the relationship of wheel/tire to wheel opening. 

sevoman:

I decided to go with an Aston Martin Vantage V8 S. It is a beautiful looking car with an amazing sound, lots of V8 urge and bespoke interior. I wanted a change and the car did have great steering feel. However, as time has gone by the single plate clutch automated manual transmission has been driving me insane. It is really clunky and slurs on the change ups quite badly unless the change is done above 5000 rpm. The sound which was initially so addictive becomes a bit embarrassing around town if pushing on the the power. Everybody loves the Aston, especially my young adult son's friends and my wife's girlfriends - even those who don't "like cars". And the car has had several little niggles whereas my previous experience with Porsche was glitch free. In the end, everybody loves my Aston. Everyone except me.

I kept trying to love the Aston but like a fading relationship, the writing was on the wall. I came to realise that I don't enjoy being "seen" by everyone when I am driving. 

I have spent the last 2 months stalking Vantage Roadsters .. in manual. I tried the SS II on a V8S roadster and was not at all impressed. The Vantage would complement my GT3, not replace it. If I could have only one, it would be a 911.

What niggles were there on the Aston?

Do you think you might have loved the Aston more if it was manual?

I can't seem to get rid of my 08 Vantage roadster… It's just too beautiful… The performance is however a bit outdated, mine is a SS with the 4.3l engine but fitted with a Larini exhaust and the factory powerkit. Not sure how SS2 and the 4.7l engine improve things, but I can guess they are simple improvements, not radical changes. I have had very minor problems with it with 10k miles on the clock. I think the SS makes more sense than the manual on this GT car.

In the end, for the US where you cannot drive very fast anyway, performance is enough even if outdated. But you need to consider that these cars can be bought for not much $$$ here ($60k) and they represent a fantastic value IMHO. For perspective I also drive a California (among others) and the Ferrari engine and PDK is way above the AM. But this car is still 2.5 times the price of the AM in the used market… Yet I have great pleasure driving both...

The AM would be a great complement to the GT3. Of course a DBS Volante might be a better choice, but it is also much more $$$. You might want to consider a Maserati GT or even a California if the budget allows it.

Aston niggles: passenger window displaced form rubber guide during closing, brakes constantly squeal, speaker buzz during bluetooth telephone calls, alcantara trim along windscreen separating. Fuel filler cap constantly jams. The only way to get into fuel is to slide a plastic drivers license into edge of filler cap and jiggle, whilst pulling on manual release inside boot (trunk) - an inelegant manoeuvre at the petrol station for such a fine looking car. This matter has been unable to be resolved by the dealer.

Yes I think the car would be more enjoyable as a manual variant. There was no manual option at the time of purchase, although it became available later.

SciFrog:

The AM would be a great complement to the GT3. Of course a DBS Volante might be a better choice, but it is also much more $$$. You might want to consider a Maserati GT or even a California if the budget allows it.

DBS Volante is quite a bit more used, and a signficantly bigger car, and in my eyes, not as handsome as the Vantage.

Not a fan of a Maserati, California still very expensive used, at least compared to a used Vantage

sevoman:

Aston niggles: passenger window displaced form rubber guide during closing, brakes constantly squeal, speaker buzz during bluetooth telephone calls, alcantara trim along windscreen separating. Fuel filler cap constantly jams. The only way to get into fuel is to slide a plastic drivers license into edge of filler cap and jiggle, whilst pulling on manual release inside boot (trunk) - an inelegant manoeuvre at the petrol station for such a fine looking car. This matter has been unable to be resolved by the dealer.

Yes I think the car would be more enjoyable as a manual variant. There was no manual option at the time of purchase, although it became available later.

apparently the way to cure brake squeal is to do a few very high speed hard stops ..

fuel filler cap problem must be incredibly irritating.

I assume passenger window and alcantara problem was relatively easily and quickly resolved?

Yes the passenger window was able to be fixed relatively easily but it meant leaving the car for a day. The alcantara lining needed to be reordered so another visit. These sort of things never happened with my other two Porsches but I may have been lucky. I also accepted the fact that there is more hand building in the Aston and these "quirks" are part of the joy of Aston ownership. But it is against this background that the clunky transmission drove me progressively nuts. 

Lovely looking car, congratulations kiss I did not know they could retro fit the Sports Exhaust or is it after market?

They can indeed retrofit the sports exhaust. kiss

My Larini exhaust was installed by the dealer, full warranty was extended...

I have none of the issues mentioned above...

And another other thing was I dropped the key (Emotion Control Unit) getting out of my car carrying a number of things. onto the garage floor - easy enough to do. But as a glass and metal arrangement, the glass broke. The replacement case was $700 +. So the ECU looks cool but is stupid in design - form without function. It is just a key!!! Maybe this seems like I am a whiner but all these silly little things don't add up to a pleasurable well thought out ownership experience. One of my Aston friends has had three ECU cases.....

Replacing a Porsche or Ferrari key is $500 so not sure what your point is...

SciFrog:

Replacing a Porsche or Ferrari key is $500 so not sure what your point is...

My Porsche key(s) fall on the floor almost every day (I am a bit clumsy with keys) and they never showed any sign of damage. Drop the AM key and...good luck. This is the point. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I basically never drop my keys...

I much prefer the Aston ECU to any key from any other manufacturer.

Just be careful with an object of beauty and all is well.

My point is that although the AM key is very nice to hold and looks nice it is impractical. I am forever dropping my keys as I often pick up stuff as I get out of my car. I never had a problem with a key breaking with any previous car - Porsche, BMW, Range Rover etc. I am a clumsy oaf and drop stuff all the time.

sevoman, congrats on your new and beautiful 991 S, and now stay away from the dealers ;)

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Congrats on the new car!     

--

2014 Carrera S - Agate grey/blk, 7 spd MT, SPASM, sport chrono, PSE plus Sharkwerks side pipes

2009  997.2  Carrara White/ blk

2013 BMW 328i Sport (mineral grey/black)

06 987S Seal Grey/blk/blk  (gone but not forgotten!)

I dropped in at my dealers today with some licensing paperwork. My car still is wrapped in delivery plastic but now I can see the sports exhaust button inlace in the console. Just waiting on window tinting, final prep and delivery on Friday. Tick, tick, tick ...... Can't wait!! Camera ready for the weekend

My buddy dropped into my dealer today. My car is ready for collection tomorrow, buffed and polished and looking great under the showroom lights

1396534817394IMG_2415.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690733 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65730 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774884 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM