Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2013 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Albert Park, Melbourne

Good to be back to discuss the 2013 F1 season ...

2013 is the last year before major new rule changes come into effect ... so I expect the competition to be very close this year ...

Interestingly, DRS can only be used in the DRS zones in Practice and in Qualification ... so this will affect the RBR set up a little more than the others ...

Useful rules summary from the BBC's Gary Anderson: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21712291

Strategy analysis from James Allen: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/03/how-the-f1-teams-will-approach-the-australian-grand-prix/

Lots of mind games going on about who is the guy to beat ... at this stage, no one knows ...testing was even less indicative than usual because of cold and/or wet weather in Jerez and Barcelona ... I really think testing should move to Abu Dhabi where the weather and temperature are more reliable ...

I think Hamilton will find that the pre-season excitement about his move to Mercedes will be short-lived once the (disappointing) results start dominating the headlines. Sure, he may be quick but that will not make up for an inferior car ... His target will be to beat Rosberg and to try to score points ... things have changed at Mercedes ... they seem more ruthless this year with various senior personnel changes ... even Ross Brawn is on his way out ... Rosberg will be under pressure to perform ... he did his 'talking' on the track against Schumacher ... will he manage it against Hamilton?

Will McLaren's more adventurous design pay off? I think they could spend half the season trying to improve it (i.e. playing catch up) by which time the season will already be out of their grasp ... Button needs to outscore Perez to keep de facto no 1 status even though McLaren officially treats them equally ...

Alonso could face another tough season having to outdrive his machinery ... although I suspect Ferrari will not start this year as far behind performance-wise as last year ... how much longer will Ferrari keep Massa?

I think RBR is doing a great job of masking its performance ... Some of the rule changes will hit RBR harder than the other teams ... but I still expect RBR to enjoy an enormous advantage in the early part of this year ... the challenge for them will be to keep on developing at a rate that keeps that performance advantage ... my prediction is that Vettel will win his 4th title this year ... and how much longer will RBR keep Webber?

I think Lotus will enjoy more consistently good results at the start of this season. Will they be able to keep developing at the required pace? I think it is just a question of time before Lotus dumps Grosjean ... my prediction: he will start very carefully to avoid accidents but he will not score enough points that way ... so in his desperation, he will revert to type and cause mayhem ... Raikkonen could have a good year perhaps ...

I feel sorry for Sauber ... losing Perez will be a big blow ... hopefully Hulkenberg can score some good points for them ... I don't think one can expect much from Gutierrez in his rookie season ...

Force India have Di Resta and Sutil ... it will be close between them ... it gets tiring hearing nothing but (lame) excuses from Di Resta all the time for why he didn't achieve a good result etc ...

Williams seems to be struggling this year ... I think their car is struggling to handle this year's Pirelli tyre ... it will be close between Maldonado and the rookie Bottas whom people rate highly as a future star ...

Toro Rosso also appear to be struggling ... and neither Vergne nor Ricciardo appear to be talented enough to outperform their cars ...

I also don't expect much from Pic and van der Garde at Caterham ... Pic was hopeless at Marussia last year ... both are pay drivers of mediocre ability IMHO ...

I think it's the same story at Marussia with Chilton and Bianchi ...

I appreciate the financial realities of F1 but IMO something is really wrong when good drivers like Trulli, Glock, Kovaleinen etc leave F1 so that mediocre pay drivers can take their place.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2013 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Albert Park, Melbourne

Great post Easy!

I like all your views on the current pre-season ongoings... Certainly a lot of mind games being played. More so than ever, teams are hiding their new technologies and true speed (driving with more fuel) because they can derive true pace in the simulator and whatnot. The competition is so tight that small changes could make or break the season starts for some... in fact some will be struggling. We can't have 6 teams winning. So who will gain and who will lose and face a lot of work? I am unsure about everything, I except RBR up top but who knows? Also, where are Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Lotus? It will be very very interesting and I can't wait for the first race this weekend!!

Goooooooo Vettel kiss

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

well as ever, the first race can't really say much but i'm happy to have seen kimi on the first position and with all that a small smile on his face.

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

Cram:

and with all that a small smile on his face.

You sure it wasn't a twitch or something? Smiley but now that you mention it, he did talk in polisyllables in the Q&A in the podium this time Smiley

Joking aside, great race from Kimi and well deserved win Smiley

--

Great race for Lotus and Kimi. If Lotus is as reliable as last season, Kimi could be a serious contender for the title. kiss

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Well done Kimi!

Looks like a close contest between Red Bull, Lotus and Ferrari this year, with Mercedes quite close behind. McLaren and Williams look in deep trouble.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Carlos from Spain:
    Cram:

and with all that a small smile on his face.

You sure it wasn't a twitch or something? Smiley but now that you mention it, he did talk in polisyllables in the Q&A in the podium this time Smiley

Joking aside, great race from Kimi and well deserved win Smiley

i still think he's going to keep Iceman for a while but who knows it might become warmthman if he keeps doing so Smiley

he did use a great strategy i have to say and he did managed his tires really well cause we all do know that the Pirelly in soft aren't really made to last long. The mediums seem to be the solution and Kimi, like others, seem to have realised it.

--

F1 season is over. Vettel has the crown already indecision
    http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-474340-galleryV9-clcf.jpg

jesse:

sorry jesse but i think you are not watching the same F1 then us Smiley

--

Great race! Very happy for Kimi - it looks as though he's got a car beneath him again. Now we need to see how reliable the Lotus will be. Good to see the F cars with real pace as well. Massa seems to have a little bit of his spirit back too, which can only be good for competition. Looking forward to Malaysia!

Cram:
    jesse:

I think he was joking since if you look at the picture, the Rolex crown of the background Rolex add, happens to be right top of Vettel's headSmiley.... though I think a tiara would be more fitting Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Haha, that was a pretty good race congrats to Kimi and lotus, it was a great drive and perfectly executed

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Cram:
    jesse:

I think he was joking since if you look at the picture, the Rolex crown of the background Rolex add, happens to be right top of Vettel's headSmiley.... though I think a tiara would be more fitting Smiley Smiley Smiley

thanks carlos, i've seen it Smiley

--

I like that Kimi won!  He deserves it after all those years at McLaren and their tech failures (recall the suspension turning to dust in the closing laps in Germany one year).  I also recall last year when he was leading the race in the closing laps when his tires just let go with a few laps to the finish.  I think he ended up 5th.  As I watched the closing laps and him setting fast lap with one to go it was clear he has mastered the use of the tires!!  This is the most important aspect and I expect more victories from Lotus in the future.  His team mate Roman G is going to be showing his pace soon as well thanks to what Kimi is learning from the use of tires.

Yes this was an exciting start to the season simply because not the big boys won. I really like the Lotus team, their car looks amazing, the drivers and great and I am a fan of them reaching more wins this year. It will also mean more competition for RBR and Ferrari, which will be the title contenders... Who knows maybe Lotus AND Mercedes will be able to get in that group too to make this season really interesting.

--

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/03/a-game-of-strategy-between-lotus-ferrari-and-red-bull-on-record-day-for-leaders/

--

I love when Ferrari burns themselves in giving yet again priority to Alonso:

Ferrari cost Massa a podium and give points to Red Bull
    Felipe Massa felt after the race that he had lost a podium through strategy and he is right. At the end of the second stint, Massa was behind of Vettel and ahead of Alonso. But the Brazilian was left out too long on his second stint and lost time. Ideally he should have pitted first, but as soon as Alonso pitted on lap 20 Massa had to react, as Vettel did. Instead he went to lap 23, losing time and two track positions in the process, trying to outrun Vettel who was now on new tyres. This handed three championship points to Red Bull and Vettel which could be important later in the season. It is no surprise that Ferrari prioritised Alonso’s race, but Massa was fast enough to beat Vettel in Melbourne and it hinged on this moment. It shows how fine the margins are in decision making.

--

Atzporsche:

I love when Ferrari burns themselves in giving yet again priority to Alonso:

Ferrari cost Massa a podium and give points to Red Bull
    Felipe Massa felt after the race that he had lost a podium through strategy and he is right. At the end of the second stint, Massa was behind of Vettel and ahead of Alonso. But the Brazilian was left out too long on his second stint and lost time. Ideally he should have pitted first, but as soon as Alonso pitted on lap 20 Massa had to react, as Vettel did. Instead he went to lap 23, losing time and two track positions in the process, trying to outrun Vettel who was now on new tyres. This handed three championship points to Red Bull and Vettel which could be important later in the season. It is no surprise that Ferrari prioritised Alonso’s race, but Massa was fast enough to beat Vettel in Melbourne and it hinged on this moment. It shows how fine the margins are in decision making

Read the whole article, Massa was holding up Alonso for 20 laps until he got free of him and then was able to run at his real pace, much faster than Massa's and dinished the race 20 seconds ahead of Massa with the same car ... Ferrari should of simple told Massa by radio to get out of the way early in the race so Alonso could fight against Kimi, and to stop blocking his teammate, whom he vehemently defended against any attpemt to pass him in the early laps to make matters worse.

Hope Ferrai have set Massa straight for the next race and give him a reality check, his mediocre driving skills are not even fit for a "second" driver, as we have seen the past two seasonds were he barely even scored points while his teamamte was fitting for the tittle out driving the same car... pathetic. Why Ferrari kept him yet another year is beyond my comprehension, there are so many much  better drivers out there that could do a better job than him.

Graph – Fuel corrected lap times

The lap times in seconds are shown down the vertical axis (ie The lower the number the faster the pace)

Secondly you can clearly see that Alonso loses time early on behind Massa but his Ferrari is very quick when he gets clear. Also note his final stint, to the right, where he pushes very hard in the early laps and damages the tyres, with the result that his pace drops off. Ferrari had to stop three times to do the lap times Lotus were doing with two.

--

Are you kidding, he outpaced Alonso this weekend.

--

Atzporsche:

Are you kidding, he outpaced Alonso this weekend.

You mean like Vettel did? sneaky.gif tongue.png Smiley

Last time I checked its the actual "race" that counts not the qualifying session... did you see the fuel corrected chart I just put up?Smiley

--

Don't get me wrong here. I think Ferrari (by that I mean Alonso) should have won this race.. I feel they messed up their strategy quite a bit. Then again, first race and others also messed up their strategies.. think Mercedes and McLaren. All the more impressive how Lotus got it bang on!

--

I agree, Lotus did a flawless race, both tactically and how Kimi was able to manage the tires so well.

Would Alonso have had a chance to challenge Kimi were it not for Massa holding him up for the entire first third of the race? who knows, but personally I really don't even think so, I think Kimi was confortably "cruising" the last third of the race while everybody elses tires were dying, and had much more in reserve were his position threatened, I really don't think anyone had a chance against Kimi last Sunday kiss

--

no offence against Massa but he's a B-driver - he can never go the pace for a whole race against Alonso....and I am not even a Ferrari Fan - Go Kimi Go indecision

New F1 solution to make loud sound

--

sportcars-history.com

kiss

You are posting on last year's thread :)

--

OOPS...Will repost on another one

--

sportcars-history.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM