Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster GTS

JimFlat6:

Grant the mechanical offered OEM is a 20% locker and its got some durability issues. Its no Quaiffe.

But unlike the Quaife, it gives a stabilizing effect under braking (and locks more than 20% under braking) and it still works if one rear wheel is off the ground.  I have a Wavetrac diff on the front axle of my Evo and it is a torque biasing diff like the Quaife, but still works with a wheel in the air (it also has an electronically controlled center LSD and rear clutch type LSD - got 'em all...).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

GR:
    SuzyF:

If i'm looking for a nimble sportscar, an M3/ M4 does not show up in my mind...

Couldn't agree more.  But the alas, 981 doesn't show up on my radar either Smiley    Ironically, the M3 is now of interest (for the first time ever) as a sensible daily driver coupled with a purer sports car.  Funny how things turn out.  Back to the GTS, it doesn't strike me as a very good buy.  It does look a smidge better than the standard car and have an modest power bump but on paper the sum seems less than the parts. 

Cayman GTS is actually cheaper than Cayman S if you add all the standard equipment on the S.

• Cayman GTS (UK)            GBP 55,397
    • Cayman S (UK)                 GBP 48,783
    • Black leather interior                    1,428
    • Bi-Xenon incl. PDLS                        477
    • Smoked taillights                             320
    • Sport Chrono                                 1,085
    • PSE                                                 1,530
    • PASM                                                  971
    • 20" Carrera S wheels                      971
    • Sport seats (2-way)                         312
    • Sport Design steering wheel        146
    • Rooflining Alcantara                       684
    •                                              GBP 56,707

Besides that you get an extra 15hp, 10Nm and a nicer look (subjective) for free...

I don't see why it should be a bad deal. Porsche's GTS models always have been cars like this IMO. It's nothing new.
    However, I do agree that they could have added some more power, but it's a Cayman... Porsche doesn't allow the Cayman that costs GBP 18,000 less to have more power than the base 991.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

True but its only good value if  you want all those things.  Considering what is offered, the HP, torque, PASM, steering wheel and sports seats would be my wins; leather and xenon are simply nice to have; and the rest leaves me non-plussed at best but actively disliking in quite a few cases.  These big bundle specials are usually the same but I guess they will work for some people and good luck to them.  At least the 997 GTS provided a wide body with RWD, which made it an interesting and (almost) unique proposition; ditto the Cayenne GTS suspension.  In comparison, this is a feeble parts bin special that does nothing to make the 981 a better car to drive. From a company that has built a brand on the back of driver's cars I guess I am disappointed (although not really surprised) that the top of the range car is so focussed on cosmetic enhancements.

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

True but its only good value if  you want all those things.  Considering what is offered, the HP, torque, PASM, steering wheel and sports seats would be my wins; leather and xenon are simply nice to have; and the rest leaves me non-plussed at best but actively disliking in quite a few cases.  These big bundle specials are usually the same but I guess they will work for some people and good luck to them.  At least the 997 GTS provided a wide body with RWD, which made it an interesting and (almost) unique proposition; ditto the Cayenne GTS suspension.  In comparison, this is a feeble parts bin special that does nothing to make the 981 a better car to drive. From a company that has built a brand on the back of driver's cars I guess I am disappointed (although not really surprised) that the top of the range car is so focussed on cosmetic enhancements.

I have to agree on that.

Problem in this case is, like I said, that it is the Caymen/Boxster. It's too close to the base 991. That's why I would like to see the base 991 being the current S. No more 3.4 enigine in the 991. Base 991 should have  the 400hp 3.8, which makes the gap between 981 and 991 bigger and leaves room for more power in the 981, with an ultimate Cayman R/GT4 with 400hp or maube even slightly more. Don't think it would harm the 911 if the top (read most expensive) Cayman had slightly better performance.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Grant: sign me up for one of your super-caymans :-)

one thing I don't see any more: TPMS as an option.... Standard now?

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Yep, govt mandated since 2007 unfortunately

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

fritz:
    sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche GTS range: "The Committee..."

the most pathetic and absurd promotional video ever .. 

It really is lame.    Smiley

Nothing more to add. Smiley

The GTS is so disappointing. Yes, I would get it if I would be in the market for getting a Boxster S or Cayman S but otherwise...no thanks.

What is next? A Boxster RS with 20 hp more? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Grant:
    DaveGordon:

Yep, govt mandated since 2007 unfortunately

Govt mandated in USA since 2007, but it was still an extra-cost option in Europe until now. 

--

fritz

I never understood why Porsche wouldn't offer TPMS as a standard option. For me, this is one of the most important safety features on a sports car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

I never understood why Porsche wouldn't offer TPMS as a standard option. For me, this is one of the most important safety features on a sports car.

Agree totally and really miss it on my 997/2. it has disappeared from the option list so here's hoping this valuable safety feature is standard now. Smiley

As a Boxster (but not Cayman) enthusiast I like the look of the new Boxster GTS package very much. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    RC:

Agree totally and really miss it on my 997/2. it has disappeared from the option list so here's hoping this valuable safety feature is standard now. Smiley

As a Boxster (but not Cayman) enthusiast I like the look of the new Boxster GTS package very much. Smiley

TPMS is standard on 981 now .. it's listed as standard equipment if you tick the box when printing.

also standard on Boxster is the wind deflector.

I like the GTS too, especially in carmine red. The front bumper has transformed it into a "proper" sports car.

Grant:
    bluelines:

I guess we were all hoping for something like this...

http://www.9tro.com/features/tuned-cars/ruf-3800-s-destinys-child

No, while I'm dreaming I'm going to be more greedy.  I would like (and buy) this GT4 concept:

GT3 engine (possibly with smaller displacement of 3.5L or so) with ~440hp and 9k redline

Manual 7speed (not based on PDK), but revision of G50 - they can also offer this in GT3 (with 180 degree application)

Wider front and rear track (like RS)

918 seats (with different height and width selections)

Fixed rear wing and 5-lug wheels

Non-PASM suspension (with fancy shocks like Ohlins optional)

Price about same as Carrera S without options

--

Grant that sounds good, but why would you bother with the GT4 at that price when a GT3 is only slightly more, with much more power and goodies like the RWS?

WAY:

Grant that sounds good, but why would you bother with the GT4 at that price when a GT3 is only slightly more, with much more power and goodies like the RWS?

Manual, mid engined and £20k does it for me.  Less complexity and corresponding less weight appeal too.

--

Gen II Cayman S

WAY:

GT3 is over 30% more expensive from my "dream" and has only 35hp more, along with more weight.  I don't think the midengined car benefits as much from RWS.  Also, manual gearbox is an important element for me.

--

Grant,

There is a technical limit for a Cayman rear structure regardubg tire size and engine power... Rear suspension can not hadle tires wider then 275mm without major intervention. Since this tires size also limits power of the potential engine for "GT4". I predict around 400ps(3.8L Carrera S engine) in "GT4" and PDK only. Also this car could be introduced before major 981/991 FL(aka 981,2/991,2) which will bring new turbo engines(2.5L and 3.0L, only Turbo will stay with 3.8L).

KresoF1:

Grant,

There is a technical limit for a Cayman rear structure regardubg tire size and engine power... Rear suspension can not hadle tires wider then 275mm without major intervention. Since this tires size also limits power of the potential engine for "GT4". I predict around 400ps(3.8L Carrera S engine) in "GT4" and PDK only. Also this car could be introduced before major 981/991 FL(aka 981,2/991,2) which will bring new turbo engines(2.5L and 3.0L, only Turbo will stay with 3.8L).

Good to know.  BTW, I always like the feeling of narrow tires with a strong motor Smiley

--

RC:
    fritz:
    sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

But it did show the GT3 development team getting pulled--which explains a lot...

waiting for PDK:
    RC:
    fritz:
    sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

But it did show the GT3 development team getting pulled--which explains a lot...

That is why it got GT3:ish alcantara interior 1395343876090wow2.gif

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

sfo:
    dreamcar:
    RC:

TPMS is standard on 981 now .. it's listed as standard equipment if you tick the box when printing.

also standard on Boxster is the wind deflector.

I like the GTS too, especially in carmine red. The front bumper has transformed it into a "proper" sports car.

....BUT - just specced one up to my liking and came to £65k - and that money would buy a very nice lightly used 991, with someone else suffering the savage initial depreciation that mass market Porsches have these days....Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Nice. But not nicer, just a bit different. So a marketing exercise as expected. I do wonder sometimes if a healthy well run in 9A1 motor in an S is producing slightly bigger horses than they claim. I wonder if there's much difference from a std to a GTS? Is it an ECU tweak or have they put  modded heads on the motor? 

According to the Techart person I had a chat with, Porsche always c..hange the cylinder heads on their various powerkits just as an excuse to charge big money for only 20-30 HP.

Techart claim 30 HP extra without touching the engine as such. Just the ECU and peripherals.

I have no idea at all, whether they are right or wrong.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

According to the Techart person I had a chat with, Porsche always c..hange the cylinder heads on their various powerkits just as an excuse to charge big money for only 20-30 HP.--

"Form follows function"

That might be true for a real powerkit, but this is just a detuned 3.4L 991 Carrera motor that makes 350hp in the Carrera.  They just electronically cripple it to make 35hp less in the Boxster S, 25hp less in the Cayman S, 20 hp less in the Boxster GTS, and 10 hp less in the Cayman GTS.  I believe they all have the same hardware (maybe slightly different exhaust for the mid-engined placement).  Very cynical approach to the customer in my view...

The most interesting part of the specs is that all 3 versions of the 2.7 & 3.4L motor in the Boxster have their HP peak at 6,700 rpm and all 3 versions of the 2.7 & 3.4L motor in the Cayman (and 991) peak at 7,400 rpm.  Either this is an error on the website (on the German as well as US sites) or they do something strange to make the Boxster breathe worse at high revs...

--

I would like to know how much weight would be saved in going from naturally aspirated F-6 to (twin) turbo F-4?  400hp from a turbo 4-cyl is fun (I have 425 hp and 435 ft-lbs in my 2.0 Evo IX), but the throttle response does not lend itself well to driving a mid-engined car at the limit on a knife's edge...

Do you think by "Next Generation Boxster/Cayman" that this means the facelift 981 or the all-new 982?

--

Porsche boss confirms new 395bhp four-cylinder engine...

New turbocharged four-cylinder engine to help Porsche cut CO2 emissions; set for its debut in next-gen Cayman and Boxster models

Current Caymans and Boxsters use flat six engines; the next-gen variants will be offered with flat four powerplants

(21 March 2014)

Porsche boss Matthias Müller has confirmed long-running rumours suggesting future incarnations of the Boxster and Cayman are in line to receive a turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine.

In an interview with Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport magazine, 60-year-old Müller said Porsche road cars would follow the lead of the company’s hi-tech 919 Hybrid race car in receiving four-cylinder engines.

But while the 919 Hybrid runs a unique vee-configured engine, the unit being readied for the Boxster and Cayman will follow the lead of Porsche’s classic six-cylinder engine with a 180deg horizontally opposed layout as part of a modular engine strategy.

“We will continue with the downsizing strategy and develop a new four-cylinder boxer engine which will see service in the next-generation Boxster and Cayman,” said Müller. “We will not separate ourselves from efforts to reduce CO2.”

When queried on the output of the new four-cylinder boxer engine, Müller suggested it would boast “up to 400ps [395bhp]”.

Today’s naturally aspirated 3.4-litre six-cylinder engine develop up to 325bhp and 335bhp respectively in the new range-topping Boxster and Cayman GTS models, which were revealed earlier this week.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Interesting development - I asked the dealer who supplied my Boxster and they reckon they only have 1x boxster and 1x cayman GTS allocation per-month until the end of the year.. Didn't realise there would be any restriction on numbers for these..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Well that's it for me and these mid engined cars if it's a 4 cylinder turbo or nothing.  The Alfa has one of those but a carbon chassis and weights under a ton. There will be a sound synthesiser to go with it too I suppose together with automatic gearbox, automatic blipper, automatic steering and automatic driver. All helping towards a faster ring time. Lovely. 

Porsche will be making the best driver's cars ever.  Its just a pity the driver is a software engineer in Weissach

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

Porsche will be making the best driver's cars ever.  Its just a pity the driver is a software engineer in Weissach

Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

DaveGordon:

Interesting development - I asked the dealer who supplied my Boxster and they reckon they only have 1x boxster and 1x cayman GTS allocation per-month until the end of the year.. Didn't realise there would be any restriction on numbers for these..

These cars are not limited production afaik.  Boxster and Cayman allocations are already tight, mostly due to weak demand and lower profit margins.  Try a larger dealer...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808359 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450175 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267593 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7749 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888186 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837062 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM