Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster GTS

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Porsche GTS range: "The Committee..."

"One committee and one clear assignment: to reformulate three letters to a sports car concept, that has always caused a stir among enthusiasts..."

Porsche GTS range: The Committee -- Porsche Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/beijing-motor-show/porsche-boxster-and-cayman-gts-revealed

Press embargo ended.

15 more bhp and a red tach face, sport pasm, alcantara sport seat inserts, front and rear aero pieces.

I like kiss I think it was everything I hoped for in this model (accepting the fact that is was never going to have a big hp bump).  Interior features nice, and all the right sporty options as standard.  -20mm is a zero-cost option.  It will be interesting to price, but I suspect you'd save a bit over an 'S' specced to that level.

Shame the red is an expensive option though.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

The less than 5% power increase is a bit of a joke, but if I was in the market for a Boxster I would get the GTS for sure.

If I was in the market for a Cayman I would get the 991 indecision

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I would for example take Cayman GTS any time over 991 Carrera coupe.

+1 Smiley.

What I do not understand, why do they have to charge extra for a "GTS-exterior" and a "GTS-interior" - I mean, Porsche labels it as a GTS...Smiley ...

In black smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

I think it looks great.

Nice idea, but I'd prefer they'd funnel some of that expensive marketing budget toward some exciting new features for the cars (rather than just existing options and a detuned version of the 991 Carrera motor that already made more power years ago).  Still holding out hope for a GT4...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I guess we were all hoping for something like this...

http://www.9tro.com/features/tuned-cars/ruf-3800-s-destinys-child

That RUF engine in the GTS body would be my perfect 981 indecision

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Boxster Coupe GTS:

the most pathetic and absurd promotional video ever .. 

sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

It really is lame.    Smiley

--

fritz

bluelines:

No, while I'm dreaming I'm going to be more greedy.  I would like (and buy) this GT4 concept:

GT3 engine (possibly with smaller displacement of 3.5L or so) with ~440hp and 9k redline

Manual 7speed (not based on PDK), but revision of G50 - they can also offer this in GT3 (with 180 degree application)

Wider front and rear track (like RS)

918 seats (with different height and width selections)

Fixed rear wing and 5-lug wheels

Non-PASM suspension (with fancy shocks like Ohlins optional)

Price about same as Carrera S without options

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    bluelines:

No, while I'm dreaming I'm going to be more greedy.  I would like (and buy) this:

GT3 engine (possibly with smaller displacement of 3.5L or so) with ~440hp and 9k redline

Manual 7speed (not based on PDK), but revision of G50 - they can also offer this in GT3 (with 180 degree application)

Okay, that would work too.

Smiley

--

sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

+1

--

That "Committee" should have included a slightly shorter final drive and a mechanical limited slip diff.  Same gearing with only a few hp more and the ever optional PTV electronic training wheels do not make for a special Boxster.  The only notice in seat of the pants feel will be in customers wallets.

Sometimes Porsche makes themselves look ridiculous.mail

If Porsche wants to make people buy M4s instead of a Boxster GTS, they are doing a good job of it.angry

JimFlat6:

If Porsche wants to make people buy M4s, they are doing a good job of it.angry

Heh, that it what crossed my mind too. Here in Switzerland the Cayman GTS is CHF 10k more than the M4. Yes, the M4 might not have the balance of the 981, but it packs a punch with that bi-turbo 6-cylinder. Makes the Cayman look slow and overpriced...

--

Porsche was always overpriced with reason. VW just anounced Porsche makes best profit on cars  smiley I see Porsche buyers as successful part of society ready to give extra cash in favor of future Porsche R&D. That "extra" given cash is visible on new models to old & new buyers. That`s why Porsche is highly respectable brand kiss

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

fritz:
    sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

It really is lame.    Smiley

Unfortunately, there was a far more tragic promotional video by Aston Martin... (off-topic)

...did anyone order a keen harpist? Smiley

JimFlat6:

That "Committee" should have included a slightly shorter final drive and a mechanical limited slip diff.  Same gearing with only a few hp more and the ever optional PTV electronic training wheels do not make for a special Boxster.  The only notice in seat of the pants feel will be in customers wallets.

If Porsche wants to make people buy M4s instead of a Boxster GTS, they are doing a good job of it.angry

If i'm looking for a nimble sportscar, an M3/ M4 does not show up in my mind...Smiley That's a fast sedan/coupe, not a sportscar IMHO. I would never cross-shop those two. (Not that the BMW isn't a very nice car, but it's something completely different)

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    JimFlat6:

If i'm looking for a nimble sportscar, an M3/ M4 does not show up in my mind...Smiley That's a fast sedan/coupe, not a sportscar IMHO. I would never cross-shop those two. (Not that the BMW isn't a very nice car, but it's something completely different)

Fully agree.

SuzyF:

If i'm looking for a nimble sportscar, an M3/ M4 does not show up in my mind...

Couldn't agree more.  But the alas, 981 doesn't show up on my radar either Smiley    Ironically, the M3 is now of interest (for the first time ever) as a sensible daily driver coupled with a purer sports car.  Funny how things turn out.  Back to the GTS, it doesn't strike me as a very good buy.  It does look a smidge better than the standard car and have an modest power bump but on paper the sum seems less than the parts. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

Nimbleness is nice..but at what price?  Are you really willing to pay maybe 25-30% more to get some over priced slower lap times? Track times arent everything but they do reveal a lot...ask Porsche when they are in a good mood.Smiley

We all know the M4 is a BMW sedan based coupe whatever ..but the new M4 should be a pretty big leap forward because of its improved lower roll center and more torques and hp. Id be the first to rah rah a Boxster/Cayman GTS for its improved Porscheness.. but really Porsche doesn't seem to care about the car. The GTS is just a pre planned software tweak with some ricer lower bumper bits. Even PDK lovers cant get the PDK Sport version on it.  Porsche might as well add some Tokico or KYB stickers on it and call it done.

That said I like the red tach a lot. indecision

As for the videos, I had no idea that Aston Martin was in a contest with Porsche to make the most pompous video ever.Smiley

sfo:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

My thoughts exactly when I saw it... jeez what are they trying to prove so desperately? 
    On the other hand, they're not saying anything wrong; over the past time, they've diluted the GTS moniker to an unnecessary addition to the model line (next to the non-S vs S, which is already stupid if you ask me)... well, the new cars are indeed worthy of that designation I guess.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Grant:
    bluelines:

No, while I'm dreaming I'm going to be more greedy.  I would like (and buy) this GT4 concept:

918 seats (with different height and width selections)

Hey Grant -- fully agreed sir! I expect there will be a long queue of customers for that Cayman GT4! driving.gif

It's also worth keeping in mind that there will be an Audi TT quattro sport next year with 414bhp...

...so the Cayman GT4 should get in-house support for the full "Grant-spec" motor! Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

JimFlat6:

That "Committee" should have included a slightly shorter final drive and a mechanical limited slip diff.  Same gearing with only a few hp more and the ever optional PTV electronic training wheels do not make for a special Boxster. 

Wasn't clear from your post if you knew, but PTV option does include a real mechanical LSD.

--

Grant you are right, but the mechanical one is not as effective as the electronic one that only comes with PTV. Give us the Variable electonic limited slip diff without PTV please.  The Porsche GTS Committee also needs a sub committee for gear ratio choices.....

The 400+hp Audi TTS will probably just be another Audi monument to understeer at any speed.Smiley

JimFlat6:

Grant you are right, but the mechanical one is not as effective as the electronic one that only comes with PTV. Give us the Variable electonic limited slip diff without PTV please.  The Porsche GTS Committee also needs a sub committee for gear ratio choices.....

I think Porsche gives a mechanical LSD with 6spd (PTV) and Electronically controlled mechanical LSD with PDK (PTV Plus).  These cars have so many damn switches these days, one more for the PTV function would be nice.

--

Grant the mechanical offered OEM is a 20% locker and its got some durability issues. Its no Quaiffe.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808358 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450175 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267593 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7748 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888185 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837062 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM