Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Audi R8(new model) test mule pics

Re: Audi R8(new model) test mule pics

Audi R8 (2015) first spy shots of Audi’s new supercar...

(18 March 2014)

These are the very first pictures of the new Audi R8 supercar. The second-generation version of Audi’s mid-engined supercar will go on sale in 2015, after development delays put paid to a mid-2014 launch. It might look similar to the outgoing car, but the familiar styling hides a raft of tech changes under the skin – including a next-gen Lamborghini-derived platform.

Audi’s new R8: the chassis

The new Audi R8 will borrow the ‘MSS’ architecture used by Lamborghini’s replacement for the Gallardo, the Huracan. It’s still predominantly aluminium, but switches to carbonfibre for the firewall, transmission tunnel, and the car’s B-pillars.

Sources predict the carbon tweaks make the body alone 24kg than the old R8’s, and up to 13% stiffer. Overall, the new R8 is thought to be around 100kg lighter than its predecessor.

What’s powering the new R8?

The entry-level R8 is reported to stick with a naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8, though power is tipped to be be lifted from today’s 424bhp output to an RS5-matching 444bhp. The 5.2-litre V10 also sticks around: output rises from 518bhp to around 542bhp – up there with the outgoing R8 V10 Plus.

This may prove to be a last hurrah for the atmospheric V10, however. Insiders report that part-way through the new R8’s life, the V10 will make way for a new 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 version. It’s likely to be a retuned version of the bi-turbo V8 used in the Audi RS6, RS7 and Bentley Continental GT, though it’ll reach its highest state of tune yet.

Around 600bhp is on the cards, marginally outpunching the Ferrari 458 Speciale, and – controversially – the R8’s Lamborghini sister car. A soft-top R8 Spyder is also in the pipeline, taking the fight to the Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet and McLaren’s 650S Spider.

The new Audi R8 doesn’t look all-new...

Like the all-new Audi TT, it’s expected Audi will pursue an evolutionary designtheme to the new R8, instead of tearing up the styling rulebook. Slimmer LED front and rear lights feature, while the flanks are apparently tidied by binning the colour-contrast ‘sideblades’ that marked out the Mk1 R8. At the back, rectangular exhausts replace the bazooka-sized circular pipes of the current car, and the huge new diffuser is wider and more visible, pointing to an aerodynamics rethink. Atop the rear deck, a pop-up spoiler is visible.

Inside the 2015 Audi R8

The new chassis makes the new R8 more spacious inside than the old car, and it’ll be crammed full of tech too. The dated infotainment system we’re used to is gone; in comes a large monitor in the driver’s instrument binnacle. Like the new TT’s interface, it’ll display both the MMI infotainment system and the normal speedometer and rev-counter depending on the selected mode. A head-up display will appear on the R8’s options list for the first time.

What else will I find in the new R8’s cabin?

A distinct lack of open-gate six-speed manual gearbox. As with the new Lamborghini Huracan, the only available transmission is set to be a seven-speed dual-clutch paddleshift job, connected to Quattro all-wheel drive.

The next generation Audi R8 will have very high expectations, given the original...

...how do like them apples?

Smiley SmileySmiley

UK press is again all wrong about power and some other facts about new R8. I know all specs and fact but, I will remain silent as we have UK press to rely on...

Very edgy.... cool!

I have to say - I still love the design of the current R8 - the car looks fresh like on the first day!

From the basic shape I see it's a bit disappointment but I look forward to seeing the final product. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

The rectangular tailpipes look cheesy.

Looks like a facelift that will be less pure and timeless in design. The front shows more edgy headlights, like the new TT and the back shows same box tail light design which seems to closely resemble the Quattro Sport Concept. 

It will not be a better looking car. I hate the smooth curved roof line and then super edgy lights and grilles. Total mess. The TT looks terrible IMO.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Audi seems to be failing badly recently in their exterior design department. The New TT doesn't really look new and move the  design forward and wasn't the new Q7 badly delayed due to exterior design issues. The Quattro design concept looked great in he concept sketches but unpleasant in the flesh.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

I must agree. Whereas the new A3 sedan is beautiful, smooth and understated, other new models feature too many busy lines or harsh edgy intakes in the front facade. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

I must agree. Whereas the new A3 sedan is beautiful, smooth and understated, other new models feature too many busy lines or harsh edgy intakes in the front facade. 

Busy lines? On an Audi? SmileySmiley I've hardly ever seen them and that's exactly why I like Audi. Also the reason why I don't like Mercedes and even some designs of BMW. Too many busy lines and useless accents. I like the clean design Audi usually uses. Most people will call it boring, but I like it a lot. 

i like the fact that the new TT stays close to the original, but differs enough for me to like it (never really liked the TT before). Same goes for this R8. It lookes more modern, but clearly is an R8. That's how it's supposed to be IMHO. The only thing I dislike on these pictures are the exhausts.

well... Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder course. For my personal taste, Audi is doing an almost perfect job the last couple of years. (At least regarding their styling... If only they could find someone to fix the handling on most of their cars Smiley)

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Suzy, I fully agree with you regarding Audi design.
    BTW, we both have same daily driver-A6 3.0TDI(313ps).

KresoF1:

Smiley It's a great car isn't it? Really glad a went for the A6, instead of a Macan S diesel. Love that engine.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    KresoF1:

Smiley It's a great car isn't it? Really glad a went for the A6, instead of a Macan S diesel. Love that engine.

It is a great car. Mine is equiped with Adaptive air suspension, sport rear diff, 20" etc. Basically full option except sun roof and front LEDs. I am really impressed with engine/8speed autobox combination. Excellent for both citysped driving and very, very good in S mode. IMHO much better then any PDK in Panamera, Price is also pretty good.

I am having more then 50000kms already on clock and car is running without any issue. Just... my wife needs a daily driver and she wants Macan S diesel.Smiley In that case I will have to replace A6 with something else...

KresoF1:
    SuzyF:
    KresoF1:

It is a great car. Mine is equiped with Adaptive air suspension, sport rear diff, 20" etc. Basically full option except sun roof and front LEDs. I am really impressed with engine/8speed autobox combination. Excellent for both citysped driving and very, very good in S mode. IMHO much better then any PDK in Panamera, Price is also pretty good.

I am having more then 50000kms already on clock and car is running without any issue. Just... my wife needs a daily driver and she wants Macan S diesel.Smiley In that case I will have to replace A6 with something else...

Kreso,

Very good choice. I think A6 is one of the best DD cars, and one of my favorite. Also that 3.0 TDI bi-turbo engine is running strong. Would like to see its pictures. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Audi R8 2015: Price, pictures, specs and release date...

Exclusive images and spy shots reveal how the new Audi R8 supercar could look when unveiled in 2015...

(18 March 2014)

The Audi R8 has proved to be a huge success for the German manufacturer and replacing it is no mean feat. The new model is beginning to take shape after our spies spotted a heavily disguised prototype testing at the infamous Nurburgring in Germany for the first time.

The only real change the R8 has seen since it first launched in 2006 was a facelift last year. The second-generation model will be getting a comprehensive overhaul, both inside and out. Although every panel is hidden from view, the spy shots reveal an instantly recognisable R8 profile and features such as the trademark sideblades staying put.

At the front there’s a more menacing front bumper with gaping air vents and redesigned grille which will feature on future RS cars. The flanks appear to feature more sculpted panels, while the most noticeable addition can be seen at the rear, with an aero-optimised rear diffuser nestling below the bumper. A new exhaust system with squared-off tailpipes can also be seen, which sits flush with the reshaped rear end.

Audi R8 2015: Engine

Audi isn’t expected to follow rival manufactures such as Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren down the hybrid supercar route, however. Instead, the R8 will be fitted with a revised version of the current V8 and V10, with power hikes of around 25bhp for both, taking them to 450bhp and 570bhp respectively. For the first time on the R8, all engines will get cylinder deactivation and stop-start technology. Expect a 10 per cent improvement in fuel economy.

Audi R8 tech

Audi will use lessons learned from its R8 LMS racer, adding a carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) bonnet and roof to save weight, while a version of the downforce-generating double diffuser used on the LMP1 Le Mans winner is expected, too. The car will also draw on the R8 e-tron – adopting its Multimaterial Spaceframe body, which uses 23 per cent carbon fibre in its construction to save 23kg.

Also likely to be included are the e-tron’s glass fibre-reinforced polymer suspension springs, CFRP anti-roll bars, ceramic brakes and titanium rear wheel hubs. All this will help keep the weight below 1,500kg.

Next Audi R8 chassis

However, carbon fibre isn't just for body panel and interior trim; it will form 23 per cent of the R8's chassis, resulting in a stiffer body. Groundbreaking suspension will see glass fibre-reinforced polymer coils save weight without compromising performance.

If you thought suspension springs had to be made of metal, think again. Groundbreaking glass fibre-reinforced polymer coils help save weight without compromising performance.

Audi R8 2015: interior

The interior will benefit from a thorough overhaul, with most functions incorporated into a new MMI system. Digital dials are also likely, as is a digital rear-view mirror that uses a hi-res camera to produce an image on a screen.

The new R8 V8 is expected to cost from just under £100,000 when it arrives next year.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Kreso, any word on the etron version? Will it be available at launch?

Looks super boring. Original R8 was a home run in terms of fresh design. This is just a rehash with current Audi style. Not a fan at all. The R8 should stand out from the norm, not conform to it.

Guess I'll pass on this one.

noone1:

Looks super boring. Original R8 was a home run in terms of fresh design. This is just a rehash with current Audi style. Not a fan at all. The R8 should stand out from the norm, not conform to it.

Guess I'll pass on this one.

I guess you're looking for a Huracan then? Smiley

Everything in the VW Group has a purpose and the R8 cannot look more spectacular than the Huracan, especially since   the R8 is supposed to be your daily driver super sportscar, not something too flashy.

Stealth look = Porsche 991 Turbo S

Standard super sports car look = Audi R8

Exotic super sports car look = Lamborghini Huracan

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Where would the 960 be placed? Beetween the R8 and the Huracan. In the Premium super sportscar look! It is all too artificial and too marketing.

Why do Audi need the R8 when Porsche and Lamborghini are the natural sportscar manufacturers? And why do Porsche need the Cayenne/Macan, products which naturally fit the Audi product mix?

As long as customers want to be fooled Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Where would the 960 be placed? Beetween the R8 and the Huracan. In the Premium super sportscar look! It is all too artificial and too marketing.

Why do Audi need the R8 when Porsche and Lamborghini are the natural sportscar manufacturers? And why do Porsche need the Cayenne/Macan, products which naturally fit the Audi product mix?

As long as customers want to be fooled Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

There were moments when the R8 almost disappeared from Audi's future product list but I guess they found a place for it...somewhere. Smiley

Not sure about the 960...since it isn't official yet. Every rumor that the car already has the green light has been smashed by various press publications. I guess this is exactly the problem VW Group has: To find a proper space for the 960 in the super sports car family. The 960 could be some sort of 911 Turbo S upgrade but without the "in your face" look of the Huracan. I really don't have a clue, it is going to be interesting.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Why can't 960 be a sexy Porsche that sits above GT2RS? 

960 certainly needs some exotic look to justify the price, if not "in you face" than at least as sexy as 918.

Porsche need the imaginary 960 for extra sales and for prestige after the ordinary Macan.

Such a car should not be 911 based (like a GT2 RS for example) but it should be given a bespoke body with supercar appeal. It wouldn't be "crazy" in the Lamborghini moult but I envisage something within the 918 design language. A modern/classic body with timelessness.

Porsche need such a model to claw back their lost shine. At Geneva there was no Porsche to catch the public's fancy, which was very sad.

--

"Form follows function"

Well... New R8 V10 will be positioned price wise above 991 Turbo and below 991 Turbo S. Price will be very, very good for a sportscar that with 580ps(or more!) will be only marginally slower then Huracan. Standard equipment in R8 V10 will be at 991 Turbo level.

Where would 960 fit actually? According to my P source IF Porsche decide to build 960 it will be positioned above(!!) Huracan price wise. Expect 250K € in Germany as base price for 960.

KresoF1:

Well... New R8 V10 will be positioned price wise above 991 Turbo and below 991 Turbo S. Price will be very, very good for a sportscar that with 580ps(or more!) will be only marginally slower then Huracan. Standard equipment in R8 V10 will be at 991 Turbo level.

Sounds like excellent value! They must be careful with the styling not to make it TT size XL

Where would 960 fit actually? According to my P source IF Porsche decide to build 960 it will be positioned above(!!) Huracan price wise. Expect 250K € in Germany as base price for 960.

it is good to know that if Porsche enter this class they will enter ambitiously, head on with Ferrari Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

The Porsche 960 has been designed and engineered to compete directly with Ferrari and McLaren. It is expected to share components with the next generation Audi R8 and the Lamborghini Huracan.

The engine is rumoured to be based on the RS Spyder derived motorsport V8 that was developed for the 918 Spyder. Indeed, the specifications of the naturally-aspirated V8 engine in the 918 (4.6-litre V8, 608hp, 9150 rpm) are remarkably similar to the 4.5-litre 597hp 9000rpm V8 engine in the Ferrari 458 Speciale... Smiley

From a design perspective, it is expected to be a truly "stunning" Porsche, along the lines of the 918 RSR concept...

Porsche-960-Coupe.jpg

...how do you like them apples?

Smiley SmileySmiley

If they price it up there it better be much faster than a 911 TTS. That might not be that easy to do...

960 should not only be faster than 991 TTS, 991 GT2RS, but also faster than Ferrari F12 and McLaren 650S in that price range.

Jean:

960 should not only be faster than 991 TTS, 991 GT2RS, but also faster than Ferrari F12 and McLaren 650S in that price range.

I hope so!  A twin-turbo Flat-8 as sometimes rumored would help that cause...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Not even worth speculating about a 960 its so far off.

Mr. Muller mentioned in an interview a few months ago that the flat 8 exists (modular 9A1, from flat 4 to flat 6,812). He didn't mention T/C or not.

In Weissach the rest of the raw materials for such a car must exist. So, it is a matter of decision at the Supervisory Board level and we could see the 960 very soon after.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM