Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

As for Macan, I want to know if a Turbo S will come soon. If it is then I'm holding off my order or order a S for now.

WAY:
    Why is RB unlikely? They sponsor many racing categories and they don't have a team in WEC. RB still sponsors Webber personally too.

We don't know. We will just have to wait.

Hi Wonderbar,

From the specs it would seem that the Macan diesel is slower than the Audi SQ5, any reason that Porsche did not use this power plant?

Woolfe:

Hi Wonderbar,

From the specs it would seem that the Macan diesel is slower than the Audi SQ5, any reason that Porsche did not use this power plant?

Want to know the same thing... It's the main reason why I didn't order a Macan. Felt a bit strange to "up"-grade from SQ5 to a Porsche Macan, knowing that the Audi is arguably the nicer car, has a much better engine and is faster.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

To make space for another diesel model above.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

To make space for another diesel model above.

??? You know something we don't or are you speculating?

Speculating 

--

"Form follows function"

PDCC and other exclusive options (deviated stitching, larger rims/rtires, etc.,) will be available for Macan by the end of 2014. Will try to get more specific information tomorrow at the Geneva show... 

Floating caliper on a Porsche? I hadn't seen this since the base 944. And this looks like a rear ceramic brake; funny place to cut cost.

porsche-macan-rear_brake.jpg

Yeah I don't get it either.  Something to do with parking brake apparently?

Wonderbar:

PDCC and other exclusive options (deviated stitching, larger rims/rtires, etc.,) will be available for Macan by the end of 2014. Will try to get more specific information tomorrow at the Geneva show... 

PDCC is available?  Hmm...

WAY:

Yeah I don't get it either.  Something to do with parking brake apparently?

Car & Driver wrote something about this back in December. Here's your answer:

The Rear Brakes Use Sliding Calipers

Here’s the one real compromise Porsche made in adapting the Q5 mechanicals for the Macan. Because Porsche retained an electric parking brake, but wouldn’t install an auxiliary caliper on each rear knuckle, the rear axle is fitted with sliding calipers borrowed from the Q5. Even when you put up the cash for the optional carbon-ceramic brakes, Porsche merely paints the same binders yellow. Perhaps Porsche needs to consult with BMW, which has exactly the hardware Porsche needs—opposed-piston rear calipers with an integrated electric parking brake—on its new M3 and M4. The decision to use sliding rear calipers shouldn’t stretch stopping distances significantly. The Macan’s relatively high center of gravity means the six-piston front binders do most of the work. Still, the sliding calipers smack of taking the easy way out rather than spending the money to develop an appropriate solution for a Porsche.

Source:  http://blog.caranddriver.com/seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2015-porsche-macan/

Smiley

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

So the calipers are the same, but I'm just paying big bucks for the rotors to be in ceramic? Which also mean no benefit in stopping power?

KMM:

Floating caliper on a Porsche? I hadn't seen this since the base 944. And this looks like a rear ceramic brake; funny place to cut cost.

porsche-macan-rear_brake.jpg

Hehe.... pure Audi - thats an Q5 brake. Again it shows that the car is more Audi then Porsche. But as long people just buy the badge the world is ok Smiley

And btw.... I guess this ceramic disc iss just for illustration on the demo - thats not the real world!

Thanks for the clarification (Way, Rulesdontapply).

Lars, it may be an Ausi part, but you have to admit that it looks much better painted yellow, and with that Porsche script on it  broken heart

Joking aside, I'm sure the water pump and a bunch of other less visible parts are stamped VW-Audi; not only on the Macan, but on the 991 and others higher end models...

Yep - looks much better yellow and with that Logo 

And of course there are some synergies... I never mind them. In the 996 the Gear Box had an Mercedes Logo and the wires always used to have VW/Audi Logo. There are many shared parts - thats ok.

Lars997:

And btw.... I guess this ceramic disc iss just for illustration on the demo - thats not the real world!

I wouldn't be so sure. It can be a PCCB for Macan Turbo S Smiley

--

"The front brakes are six-piston fixed calipers, sourced from Brembo, clamping down on ventilated iron rotors. The rear calipers are single-piston sliding units, a configuration we cannot recall Porsche using in decades, over a ventilated iron rotor. When asked, an engineer explained, matter-of-factly, that the rear braking system, along with its integrated electric parking brake, was carried over directly from the Audi Q5. Even when upgraded with the optional Porsche Carbon-Ceramic Brakes (PCCB), another first in this segment, there is a single-piston sliding caliper over a ventilated ceramic rotor."

http://www.ctcmotors.com/2014/01/2015-porsche-macan-turbo.html

--

i spent considerable time in the Macans (S and Turbo) at the Geneva Show.  My impressions:

1.  Exterior is nicely proportioned and designed, even aggressive from the rear.  Tail pipes are prominent and give a real appearance of power and sportiness.  Larger rims are a must on this car, IMHO.  Even larger rims and tires will be available by the end of 2014.  

2.  Compared to Cayenne, interior is and feels cramped.  With front seats moved back for taller front seat occupants, rear leg room is mostly non-existent.  Buyers should really evaluate back seat occupancy usage before buying a Macan,  

3.  Interior in black looks bland, even cheap, without any exclusive options.  Deviated stitching and other touches--on their way by end of the year--would really help.  They will come with a cost of course, sending a Turbo easily into the $100K range.  At that point, a Cayenne GTS would be an attractive alternative.  Unless you are in a rush to buy now, I would wait until more interior touches are available.  A lighter interior might also help.

4.  The Macans at the Show were easily the centers of attention on the Porsche stand.  Most people, at least from my observation, focused on rear seating and trunk space.  

I am going red/black interior so it won't be bland broken heart

We are not very tall so rear leg room should be fine, like Q5?

How is the trunk compared to a Cayenne?

The Macan trunk is smaller, but seems fine.  i don't think you will be concerned or disappointed.  

I should have mentioned that the steering wheel is quite attractive, and that the driving position is Porsche quality.  Good choice on the red/black , as it will brighten up the interior and also emphasize the sporty character of  the car.  

Even larger rims? 22"?

--

Good question.  My conversation with a very reliable source in Geneva was not particularly clear, but the upshot was that larger rims and tires are on the way.  Perhaps the source meant wider rims or tires.  Sorry to have been confusing...

This is the GT3 forum.  Please drop the SUV from this place.

Thanks.

? This is the Macan thread...

At the Geneva motor show, the crowed was all over the Macan. Like Wonderbar said, it was the car that attracted the most people on the stand . The Porsche owners' family  will grow immensely .....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque by Auto Express...

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque -- Auto Express video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

PBS2010:

This is the GT3 forum.  Please drop the SUV from this place.

Thanks.

Smiley Smiley

You know that you shouldn't drink and drive, right? This is valid for the usage of this forum too. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Christian, maybe you should delete that particular post to save him from further embarrassment :)

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808347 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450174 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267588 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7748 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888182 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837058 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM