Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Golf VII R - short drive

Had the opportunity to briefly drive the new Golf R with 300 hp yesterday. Car with dsg and very small winter tires, looked terrible. Was curious though as i used to own the predecessor with 270 hp (also 4 door with dsg). 

Was kind of skeptic as to what 30 hp difference would deliver as usually u dont really feel such a small increase (the engine is still 2.0). I must say though that I was really impressed! The car ist clearly faster than the old one, the engine has been much improved. Personally i am not so much a friend of the downsizing trend and indeed it felt to me that the engine in the old car often was too small for the car. Not anymore: throttle response at low revs has wastly improved and power delivery around 4-5000 revs is great. Engine also revs more freely than the old one. Sound is better too, but i am not sure if there is a loudspeaker working on that somewhere :-) 

I could not test the handling as i wanted and the car was on winter tires as i said, but it appeared very responsive and agile, will need to drive it again in different conditions. I must say that the audi rs4 i drove under similar circumstances did not feel much quicker. Objectively is probably was, but it also felt heavier than the Golf. This Golf seems to have much more sporty genes than its predecessor! Still it sits 4 and is comfortable witht the adaptive dampers. Additionally it now also is avalable with adaptive drive (a must imo) and the sun roof is quite large. The new navigation system Pro is just great! Could come straight out of a 991 or upper class car, lots of intelligent features. Vienna seats are unchanged and superb too. Launch control works very well, although one will never use that. 

All in all i must say i was skeptical about the improvement potential but i came away impressed. Would love to get more exposure to it dynamically, this could be a fun car! Smiley

--

turbolite

Re: Golf VII R - short drive

Cool car ! never drove one but always looked at them ! Guess need to experience once one too !

The Golf R is one of my very favourite cars, really. A very versatile machine.

IMO it is all the car someone would need, especially if there also room in the garage for a 911.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The Golf R is one of my very favourite cars, really. A very versatile machine.

IMO it is all the car someone would need, especially if there also room in the garage for a 911.

--

"Form follows function"

This new version feels even more versatile than the old one. like it has been in the gym: leaner and lighter yet more powerful and more refined... 

--

turbolite

I'm interested in the R as well. If you spec it well it can be a very understated car. Sometimes it's nice to blend in indecision

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Why not the S3? Basically, it's the same car. But I read some comments that the Audi was not really good, so why the Golf R should be any better?

Over here the R is very pricey for the performance, VW  play the "limited edition, blah blah" game.  Subaru STI is more fun, more raw, and cheaper (again, here in NA), sacrificing only VW quality interiors. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I am fan of the Golf VII. Design is beautifully simple and elegant. And it has strong echos of Golfs past. It's the 911 of family hatchbacks.

Much prefer it to a BMW 1 series or a Mercedes A or B class. Audi A3's interior is better.

4trac:

Over here the R is very pricey for the performance, VW  play the "limited edition, blah blah" game.  Subaru STI is more fun, more raw, and cheaper (again, here in NA), sacrificing only VW quality interiors. 

For this kind of car, it is worth trying the Mitsubishi Evo also.  It has 3 Limited Slip Differentials (front, center, and rear) and has 3 settings for the computerized active center diff (street, gravel, and snow).

I have been thrilled with my Evo 9 (going driving in the snow today - unbelievably competent and fun with Michelin Ice tires).  Newer car (X) is a little heavier and slower, but still would be my choice for all-weather sporty inexpensive sedan.  VW has nicer interior though.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

@Grant: Problem is, i wouldnt want to be seen in a Mitsubishi Evo with stripes and spoilers. 

The Golf in a nice color looks very subtle and serious. Not a problem to go to a business meeting with it and no problem to go to the supermarket either. 

@ Amazon: I dont like the styilng of the Audi and the fact that it is kind of an aspirational car i dont like either. A Golf is a Golf, whether you are professor, student, banker or housewife there is not really a clichee' attached to it. The  S3 is also based on the MQB but the setups of the cars are different. The jury is still out on the Golf R as no jouranlist have yet tested it (apart from snowdrifting).  The performances shown from S3 are very good. (0-100 5.2. 0-200 19.9 with manual shift). With a llittle tweak from mtm it does 4.9 and 17.5 in manual option!  As a refernece the old Golf R with 270 hp did 0-100 in 6.0 and 0-200 in 24.2. So there has been a massive increase in performance. VW claims 8.15 for the car on the Ring which would be quite impressive...

--

turbolite

Polo WRC with AWD...there was a rumor that one is coming...270 or 300 hp. Would be an amazing toy.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Polo WRC with AWD...there was a rumor that one is coming...270 or 300 hp. Would be an amazing toy.

Will probably come with 4wd and 250 hp at least! that is a top competitor to the New Mini....Smiley

http://www.focus.de/sport/rallye/prototyp-polo-r-vom-schotter-auf-die-strasse_id_3569877.html

--

turbolite

turbolite:

@Grant: Problem is, i wouldnt want to be seen in a Mitsubishi Evo with stripes and spoilers. 

It's not necessary to have any stripes nor spoiler.  MR touring comes without either and has leather Recaros, Brembos, BBS wheels, Excellent DCT, etc.  Not beautiful, but not embarassing either.  Drives better than anything in its class (with huge power possible with bolt-on mods)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCDaRnF-k8

http://www.mad4wheels.com/contents/model.asp?id_car=9202

ku-xlarge.jpg

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

turbolite:
    RC:

Will probably come with 4wd and 250 hp at least! that is a top competitor to the New Mini....Smiley

http://www.focus.de/sport/rallye/prototyp-polo-r-vom-schotter-auf-die-strasse_id_3569877.html

Aahh...interesting. It would be great if they put this car on the market. Waiting for a Mini JCW with AWD and 300 hp forever, not sure when it is going to happen (my dealer hinted to this year, maybe 240 hp and AWD).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

it seems as if Neusser and Eichler are giving a big push to the sporty and powerful side of VW. No wonder with their common background in Porsche and AMG (Eichler). We will get many nice surprises in the next year or two from these guys... :-) 

FYI: Neusser was head of Aggregateentwicklung (engine development)  in Porsche, Eichler worked with him.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/amg-engine-guru-to-join-volkswagen-20130119-2czm6.html

--

turbolite

Grant:
    turbolite:

It's not necessary to have any stripes nor spoiler.  MR touring comes without either and has leather Recaros, Brembos, BBS wheels, Excellent DCT, etc.  Not beautiful, but not embarassing either.  Drives better than anything in its class (with huge power possible with bolt-on mods)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCDaRnF-k8

http://www.mad4wheels.com/contents/model.asp?id_car=9202

ku-xlarge.jpg

--

You are right, that is certainly the sportier car, no question about it (and good lookin without stripes :-). The Golf is more refined i guess for eveyday use....

--

turbolite

amazon:

Why not the S3? Basically, it's the same car. But I read some comments that the Audi was not really good, so why the Golf R should be any better?

I had the latest Audi S3 for a few hours loan and it was one of the worst cars I've driven in recent memory. Awful booming unpleasant synthesised engine sound, and even worse was the abysmal throttle lag and lifeless electric steering. 

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    amazon:

I had the latest Audi S3 for a few hours loan and it was one of the worst cars I've driven in recent memory. Awful booming unpleasant synthesised engine sound, and even worse was the abysmal throttle lag and lifeless electric steering. 

Evo is one of the few cars left with hydraulic steering...

--

turbolite:

it seems as if Neusser and Eichler are giving a big push to the sporty and powerful side of VW. No wonder with their common background in Porsche and AMG (Eichler). We will get many nice surprises in the next year or two from these guys... :-) 

FYI: Neusser was head of Aggregateentwicklung (engine development)  in Porsche, Eichler worked with him.

Hmmm…. Is Neusser the gentleman to whom we owe the M96 design? I hope not.

Grant:
    4trac:

For this kind of car, it is worth trying the Mitsubishi Evo also.  It has 3 Limited Slip Differentials (front, center, and rear) and has 3 settings for the computerized active center diff (street, gravel, and snow).

I have been thrilled with my Evo 9 (going driving in the snow today - unbelievably competent and fun with Michelin Ice tires).  Newer car (X) is a little heavier and slower, but still would be my choice for all-weather sporty inexpensive sedan.  VW has nicer interior though.

Agree Grant, in NA the Evo is always in the same frame as the STi; though it has not been available in Canada here anywhere near as long as the Subies, and even once it was, there have been times where Mitsubishi looked like they may not survive as a car maker.  Anyway back on topic, for our European members the Golf R is the closest they can easily get to the winter fun we have with our Evos and STis.....

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

dreamcar:
    amazon:

Golf R is developed by R Gmbh in Wolfsburg, Audis in Ingolstadt (or Neckarsulm where also Quattro Gmbh is based) . So they are not identical in set up.

--

turbolite

turbolite Thanx for great review. R looks great, so its nice to hear that it perforrms good too kiss However, I find 3-door R better looking than 5-door.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

KMM:
    turbolite:

Hmmm…. Is Neusser the gentleman to whom we owe the M96 design? I hope not.

According to the article, Neusser arrived at Porsche in 1996. As you might remember, the Boxster debuted with the M96 engine in the exact same year.

Not only Neusser but Dr. Hackenberg is a huge motorsport fan as well, he even tested the Polo WRC along with Sainz and Ogier during the development phase. Same goes with Winterkorn.

Regarding the Golf R, I have driven the GTI and GTD and have been very surprised about the torque the gasoline engine produces on the GTI. The car does not have that much explosive high-end power but that might be the case on the R model. Obviously, they worked on the full-throttle gas consumption as well... which would be good news on the Autobahn. I also think that the Mk. 7 version is very solid and versatile and feels very much upmarket in comparison to other cars of its class. Still hoping for a convincing RS3, if the car is convincing I will get one.

The exterior of the Golf R is surprisingly subtle, especially in comparison to the GTI which features lots of red accents. The regular Golf is also available with a sport design exterior package and that looks remarkably similar to the R design. I have mistaken these two versions quite a few times as the quad exhaust is the primary differentiation for me.

Thanks for the summary! Smiley

The next auto motor sport edition coming out in 10 days will contain a comparison between Golf R, Audi S3, Bmw 135i.

that will be entertaining... kiss

--

turbolite

Golf R with Dsg does 4.7 to 100 and 18.0 to 200 according to autozeitung. Times in ams are slower as they tested a manual.

Bottom line is that both concur that the handling of this new R is excellent, much more lively and entertaining than anything ever built by VW. And in fact it also obliterates the S3 which has the identical base. Apparemtly they found a great setup. Cant wait for a test by Sport Auto..

--

turbolite

turbolite:

Golf R with Dsg does 4.7 to 100 and 18.0 to 200 according to autozeitung. Times in ams are slower as they tested a manual.

Bottom line is that both concur that the handling of this new R is excellent, much more lively and entertaining than anything ever built by VW. And in fact it also obliterates the S3 which has the identical base. Apparemtly they found a great setup. Cant wait for a test by Sport Auto..

Amazing.  The Golf R is a very reasonably priced car in the States.

I am tempted to order a new Golf R for a little run around car. So glad VW is bringing the new one to Canada, for some reason the Golf seems much less boy racer than the Evo or the WRX. Amazing value for around 40k. 

I had wanted a A45 but since Mercedes is not bringing it to North America as the damn Americans don't like hatchbacks, this is my 2nd choice. Word is that VW is only bringing the 4 door over :(

--

The Benz 45 by all accounts has a unhappy sounding motor and a non to quick transmission.

Just get the VW. Its easily bumped to 400hp for a 4dr surprise.

I drove the CLA45 in Vegas last year and it was my favourite among all the AMG cars there. Even over the SLS or 507.

Some journalists may not like it but I love that engine and transmission combo. I just hate the sedan configuration. I have been giving Mercedes a hard time about not importing the A45, but Mercedes Canada said they can't do a damn thing as Mercedes USA prefer a small sedan even when most Americans can't fit in the sedan. 

But then again the Golf R will be quite a bit cheaper than the A45 if they ever come to their senses and bring it over.

--

CGX car nut:
    turbolite:

Amazing.  The Golf R is a very reasonably priced car in the States.

I think the price and performance is close to those of the Subaru STI and Mitsubishi Evo.  Of those 3, I still favor the Evo in terms of driving satisfaction and the sophistication of its AWD system.  But, the styling and interior may favor the VW.  The VW doesn't have the nice Italian Brembo brakes of the Japanese cars either.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775616 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440828 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262315 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260514 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84939 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879870 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814806 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM