Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Turbo was faster without launch control? Or the first run was without launch contro too?

Almost looked to me like the 911 got on the brakes on that first run before the end of the race. Weird

Now this is interesting...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/05/techart-porsche-911-turbo-s-geneva-2014/

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2012 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab. Range Rover V8 on order June14 - GT3 or Huracan to add next......decisions decisions decisions.....

Ugh someone needs to put a new steering wheel in the 991 ASAP...

As I know techart they will charge the amount of an entry level 911 to add those 60HP....

Nice .....congrats angel

RC:

For me, the 991 Turbo S represents the first 959 successor, as weird as it may sound. I don't know, I always dreamt of a 959 but never considered the 911 Turbo to be a worthy successor. Until the 991 Turbo S showed up.

As you can see, I never compare the 991 Turbo S, despite a similar performance, to the Carrera GT for example. For me, the 991 Turbo S is some sort of do-it-all-daily-driver-supersportscar. Of course I wouldn't mind a 911 Turbo RS at 100 kg less weight (but still with all the comfort goodies) and with a 600 hp engine but I guess people like us will never be 100% satisfied with a car, even if it would weight only 1200 kg and had 1000 hp. 

Glad to hear that you are happy with your car, it is only going to get better after aprox. 4000-5000 km. Mine has over 6000 km now and I just love it. Don't forget that we have winter time here and I never really loved cars in winter time, with the exception of SUVs maybe. This one is a first.

Christian

I agree with you 90% of the time, but I have always seen the 997 turbo as the natural successor to the 959. Of course, I'm biased.

C

--

Chris

2007 997.1 TT (#3)

1987 930 Slant 505

I loved the europipe  on the 997 turbo, in fact I bought one at over 5k$ delivered. But, I'm not digging the new 991 exhaust. Sounds very aftermarket, unlike their 997 product that sounded like a porsche sport exhaust. Agree w RC, I'd await the akro, but stock sounds pretty good. A 200 cell cat version of the stock would be perfect. Ep flame suit on.....

--

Chris

2007 997.1 TT (#3)

1987 930 Slant 505

TT Surgeon:
    RC:

For me, the 991 Turbo S represents the first 959 successor, as weird as it may sound. I don't know, I always dreamt of a 959 but never considered the 911 Turbo to be a worthy successor. Until the 991 Turbo S showed up.

As you can see, I never compare the 991 Turbo S, despite a similar performance, to the Carrera GT for example. For me, the 991 Turbo S is some sort of do-it-all-daily-driver-supersportscar. Of course I wouldn't mind a 911 Turbo RS at 100 kg less weight (but still with all the comfort goodies) and with a 600 hp engine but I guess people like us will never be 100% satisfied with a car, even if it would weight only 1200 kg and had 1000 hp. 

Glad to hear that you are happy with your car, it is only going to get better after aprox. 4000-5000 km. Mine has over 6000 km now and I just love it. Don't forget that we have winter time here and I never really loved cars in winter time, with the exception of SUVs maybe. This one is a first.

Christian

I agree with you 90% of the time, but I have always seen the 997 turbo as the natural successor to the 959. Of course, I'm biased.

C

Well, yes I agree - that if, the 991 turbo S can be the successor to the 959 -  997 turbo S could do that also - for me the 997 turbo S looks for sure better.

Nevertheless, I drove the turbo S the other day. Its highly likely that this is the best 500+HP daily driver car out there. This car can do anything, winter car, drive kids to school on short trips, drive your wife to the opera ot whatever. But for my personal preferences it doesnt really qualify:

a) depreciation is probably very high - but not the main argument

b) it lacks the "emotion" of a "real sportscar" - dont get me wrong - its a sportscar - but a sportscar that I would like to drive on sunday morning to feel the real sensation of a supercar, a C-GT would do this job. I have enough other cars - and daily drivers..so if I spend 200K I want something raw and radical.

But if someone where to put a gun at my head and tell me: "3 seconds to choose your sportscar which MUST be driven daily - even in snow in the winter"..it will be the 991 turbo SSmiley

1. Depreciation is (probably) high, this is why I leased the car.

2. It doesn't really lack emotions, I am actually surprised how much emotions this car provides compared to it's predecessors. The exhaust sound is much nicer, the car is unbelievably fast under most situations and like you said, it is elegant enough to drive it to the opera (not that I would do it...not a fan) and still sporty enough not to be too elegant. The right mix.

If you want to have something raw and radical, you need to looks somewhere else than Porsche. The question is: Would this car be enjoyable? Most CGT drivers I know are very good drivers (well...I guess Sutil knows his car, so does Röhrl... angry) but if you get outrun by a halfway talented driver in his 991 Turbo S, I doubt that you will have much fun with that raw and radical car. The CGT is really a nice toy but either you enjoy to be seen in it and just cruising around or you really use this car to the limit, which is a real challenge and really not recommended for the average talented driver. I would kill myself in a CGT, so I never considered getting one. I consider myself an above average driver, so... 

As to the daily driver capabilities, yes, the 991 Turbo S does it all. Not so much as a family car I'm afraid, my kids always fight who sits in front and my wife hates it to sit in the back, so... enlightened This is another reason I got a Jeep SRT.

You also seem to forget the social factor in Germany...driving a Ferrari or a Lamborghini (or even a CGT) in our neighborhood would be social suicide.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

1. Depreciation is (probably) high, this is why I leased the car.

2. It doesn't really lack emotions, I am actually surprised how much emotions this car provides compared to it's predecessors. The exhaust sound is much nicer, the car is unbelievably fast under most situations and like you said, it is elegant enough to drive it to the opera (not that I would do it...not a fan) and still sporty enough not to be too elegant. The right mix.

If you want to have something raw and radical, you need to looks somewhere else than Porsche. The question is: Would this car be enjoyable? Most CGT drivers I know are very good drivers (well...I guess Sutil knows his car, so does Röhrl... angry) but if you get outrun by a halfway talented driver in his 991 Turbo S, I doubt that you will have much fun with that raw and radical car. The CGT is really a nice toy but either you enjoy to be seen in it and just cruising around or you really use this car to the limit, which is a real challenge and really not recommended for the average talented driver. I would kill myself in a CGT, so I never considered getting one. I consider myself an above average driver, so... 

As to the daily driver capabilities, yes, the 991 Turbo S does it all. Not so much as a family car I'm afraid, my kids always fight who sits in front and my wife hates it to sit in the back, so... enlightened This is another reason I got a Jeep SRT.

You also seem to forget the social factor in Germany...driving a Ferrari or a Lamborghini (or even a CGT) in our neighborhood would be social suicide.

Hi RC,

thanks for your comments :)

1. deprceiation: leasing : OK.-.-thats probably the only solution for this car then..

2. Emotion, well yes the exhaust note was good, but to the point with the C-GT: I would have no intention to race the car against a 991 turbo S..it would be just me "enjoying my sunday drive"..no race against time, just to have fun and to feel a raw car. No doubt that its at the limit difficult to drive, but that should be done at the racetrack only. Again, this would only be there for sunday drive..a few hours and thats it. However, youre not that wrong, in the end Im also thinking of buying a single seater race car - for my sunday (track) drive Smiley..that for sure will give me the kick I need..a new challenge in life :)

Social factor: agreed - in bigger cities less a problem, but in small towns - big problem. In fact I know people who have very expensive cars..but they only drive them on sunday morning at 7am..so nobody could see them. But I´m not willing to go that far - in sense - that I would let society decide what car I should drive.

all the best,

PS: wife in the back - kids in the frontSmiley - you could have won the facebook competition with such a picture  I believe..would be really funny to see:)

RC I thought you are using your 991 TTS as daily driver yes If you are using it as weekend toy you had much better (probably cheaper) choices angry

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:

RC I thought you are using your 991 TTS as daily driver yes If you are using it as weekend toy you had much better (probably cheaper) choices angry

I am using my 991 Turbo S as a weekend toy AND family car (from time to time...I guess I really need to post that photo of my wife in the back... Smiley). My daily driver is the Boxster S, this is the only car I can drive to work in without raising too much attention. Cheaper choices as a weekend toy? Indeed but I don't like them. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

How on Earth you convinced your family that 991 TTS is family car  I am aware that you cant take every car that you desire, since social factor is important, but Ferrari FF would be perfect car for you kiss Its insanely powerful 4WD, very spacious, yet looks very sporty.

--

A Ferrari would be social suicide in my neighborhood. Also,why would I choose the slower car? The FF is no match for the 991 Turbo S. Only match would be the F12 and I almost got one but then again, it was more expensive, no interesting lease offer (buying was the only option) and the lack of AWD also kind of made up my mind (great on dry roads but with rain and snow...not so much fun).

I didn't tell my family that the 991 Turbo S is a family car, I owned a 997 Turbo for five years and they knew what kind of car this is but since it has two back seats, we can do (limited) trips in the car and this won't change.

--

Depreciation is unavoidable on all these kind of cars...especially if you drive them.

I sold a 7-year-old 599 with 70K kilometers at roughly 30% (!) of the new value.

I have always used my 911s as family cars.  Even the old air-cooled ones with vastly less space (in context).  Wife, two kids, two dogs and luggage for the weekend for 3 hour drives to the lake house.  One benefit is that no one minds if you go faster and make try to make it a two hour drive :-).  Made a quick drive to Atlanta and back this weekend.  Below is a GT3 parked at PORSCHE of North America, Atlanta.  (Static Display, lol)

PS - my wife fits fine in the backseat - size 00.  Jeremy Clarkson pointed out in his review of the 997 Turbo a long time  ago you get the super model wife to go with it.

IMG_2631.JPG

Info for MY15-rather small changes:

-new exterior color is Carrera White Metallic

-new interior colors include Granat Rot and Scwarz/Granatrot

NO MF steering wheel from Macan until MY16(FL) or additonal wheel colors.

Dear Kreso F1, 

MY-16 will be facelift for Carrera or Turbo?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!  Thanks Kresso.  

What are those interior colors like?

Garnet Red and Black / Crimson, according to Google Translate.

Granatrot or garnet red is exactly the same as Carrera red. There are already a lot of cars ordered with carrera red and deliverd with the specification garnet red, but it's just a different name for the same color.

So the only new interior is the black-red that now is only available on the Turbo S, which is good news. It's a nice two-tone interior, that suits a lot of exterior colors.

Carrera white metallic sounds nice BTW. If I'm correct, it's the color of the Panamera middle east special edition form 2012? Or 2011?. People are now paying EUR 7000 (German price excl. taxes) for Oryx white, which is IMO insane for a VW color. So glad I didn't order in the end.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

artur777:

Dear Kreso F1, 

MY-16 will be facelift for Carrera or Turbo?

Both.

BTW, all MY15 changes are in German Configurator.

Its pity that 200k car dont have more customization options. Instead, Porsche is directing you to their (pricey) Customization department Smiley Now we have situation that people are hoping for few extra color in configurator mail

--

Basaltblack is also replaced by Deep black metallic (just a different name or a different color??)

Besides that there are some more options for other models, such as clear taillights for C4 and Targa models, Back-up camera for all 991 models, two-wone Black/Garnet red for all 991 models, etc....

But indeed no new steering wheel... yescrying

--

Suzy

If PAG is reading this that is just silly... very far behind the curve on that call...

SuzyF:

Granatrot or garnet red is exactly the same as Carrera red. There are already a lot of cars ordered with carrera red and deliverd with the specification garnet red, but it's just a different name for the same color.

So the only new interior is the black-red that now is only available on the Turbo S, which is good news. It's a nice two-tone interior, that suits a lot of exterior colors.

Carrera white metallic sounds nice BTW. If I'm correct, it's the color of the Panamera middle east special edition form 2012? Or 2011?. People are now paying EUR 7000 (German price excl. taxes) for Oryx white, which is IMO insane for a VW color. So glad I didn't order in the end.

Suzy, could it actually be the exact same thing as oryx white metallic?  If not, do you know how carrera white metallic differs?

The old Carrera White wasn't metallic, and it carries a yellowish tint. Wonder if the new one is the same.

--

DaveChapin:

Suzy, could it actually be the exact same thing as oryx white metallic?  If not, do you know how carrera white metallic differs?

No, they're not the same. Oryx White has a light pearlesent effect, where Carrara white metallic doesn't have that. Hopwever, there isn't that much difference, unless you look really upclose.

Here's Oryx White Pearl:

Here's Carrara White metallic:

If someone is familiar with BMW, Carrara White Metallic is close to BMW's "Mineral White metallic"

--

Suzy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435564 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257644 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807872 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM