Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

The article is just obviously wrong. Some ignorant journalist assumes side scoops = turbo... Why would you go to the trouble of turbocharging a motor for an added 25hp???? They could get that with some tuning...

The RS will be naturally aspirated and the side scoops are air intakes just like the RSR as it obviously doesn't have scoops on the rear decklid like the GT3...

911rox:

The article is just obviously wrong. Some ignorant journalist assumes side scoops = turbo... Why would you go to the trouble of turbocharging a motor for an added 25hp???? They could get that with some tuning...

The RS will be naturally aspirated and the side scoops are air intakes just like the RSR as it obviously doesn't have scoops on the rear decklid like the GT3...

That is my thought also.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

ag23:
    reginos:

ag23:

1393192588239image.jpg

I love the colours you have chosen for your 911s. I love these technical colours on Porsche sportscars.

Were you intending to keep both or it is temporary until the GT3 is fixed?

I will keep both... Two different animals...Smiley

Please, I'd like to read your first hand comparison, once the GT3 is back kiss

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:

What an idi0tic movie. Why are some americans buying a Porsche if they still have "that kind" of opinion about Germans?

No, IMHO this movie is not funny at all. 

These Hitler "joking" videos on YouTube get tiresome. There is nothing funny about Hitler, sorry to say that. I don't get them either and actually, my stomach kind of felt weird while I watched this video. Sorry, Hitler jokes are not really something Germans can enjoy or...should enjoy. Tasteless.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

911rox:

You wouldn't believe how much crap I've read about these side air inlets in the German and international media. Sometimes I wonder if these guys seriously get paid for their work. Maybe I should apply... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    911rox:

You wouldn't believe how much crap I've read about these side air inlets in the German and international media. Sometimes I wonder if these guys seriously get paid for their work. Maybe I should apply... Smiley

SportAuto writes that the 991 GT2 will be presented in Geneva (whatever name the car will have, maybe "GT3RS" Smiley).

WAY:

A new pair of gloves - they improve lap times by 1-2s Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:
    911rox:

SportAuto writes that the 991 GT2 will be presented in Geneva (whatever name the car will have, maybe "GT3RS" Smiley).

This is really weird. Every single rumor I heard indicates the GT3 RS but car magazines keep on reporting on a GT2. I don't say I know it for sure that a GT2 won't come but if it comes, it would be a huge surprise. Smiley

Maybe Porsche changed their (model) strategy, delayed the GT3 RS (because of obvious issues with the GT3) and went for a GT2 instead to cover the "gap"? Possible but again, I would be very surprised.

--

Porsche are probably throwing rumours and speculation out there via obscure media outlets to take the focus off their shameful recall fiasco...

911rox:

Porsche are probably throwing rumours and speculation out there via obscure media outlets to take the focus off their shameful recall fiasco...

I don't think so. Car journalists sometimes tend to see more than there is or it can also happen that a rumor makes it's rounds and car journalists pick it up and circle it further. Smiley

Or maybe Porsche really puts a GT2 on the market now (I know that they have tested the GT2 but according to rumors, it wasn't fast enough to hurt the Turbo S), trying to bring fresh air to the currently "damaged" GT3 environment. Maybe they succeeded in making the GT2 faster, a lot of maybes but this is all I got I'm afraid. The new GT2 rumors kind of threw me off guard to be honest, especially since the photos seem to show the next GT3 RS. Smiley

You never know... Smiley

--

Either way Porsche will give us something at Geneva to take the attention off the bad PR...

Porsche have some of the best engineers in the world - there is nobody else I would trust more to solve this problem :)

--

RS60 Spyder, 991 GT3 RS pending :)

I cannot see how Porsche can show the GT3RS in Geneva, with all the controversy surrounding it's sister car that it presumably will share the basic engine with. So it's either an early unveiling of GT2, or nothing at all.

WAY:
    I cannot see how Porsche can show the GT3RS in Geneva, with all the controversy surrounding it's sister car that it presumably will share the basic engine with. So it's either an early unveiling of GT2, or nothing at all.

Macan, Targa, Boxster/Cayman GTS...there would be something for Geneva, no real need to show a GT2.

--

Good point RC, especially in relation to Boxster/Cayman GTS which has not been unveiled. On that basis I doubt there will be a RS being shown at all.

The BMW F10 M5 had a stop sale in September 2012 with a subsequent recall due to an issue with a fan rotor coming loose and potentially leading to catastrophic engine failure.

These things happen all the time with new and complex technology. The GT3 is no exception.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:

The BMW F10 M5 had a stop sale in September 2012 with a subsequent recall due to an issue with a fan rotor coming loose and potentially leading to catastrophic engine failure.

These things happen all the time with new and complex technology. The GT3 is no exception.

It is no excuse that it happens to others too. BMW is a mainstream manufacturer whereas Porsche is (or was) supposed to be something special in terms of engineering. The heart of any special car should be its engine and an engine problem is not the same as a suspect ancillary component or some pyrogenic insulation material.

One of the arguments in favour of Porsche is that their cars may lack in performance against rivals nowadays relative to their high prices, but they are very well engineered and last long. PAG are doing their best to justify their doubters. They have let their eyes off the ball over the last 10 years or so, trying to be all things to all people.

--

"Form follows function"

unsubscribe

RC:
    KresoF1:

What an idi0tic movie. Why are some americans buying a Porsche if they still have "that kind" of opinion about Germans?

These Hitler "joking" videos on YouTube get tiresome. There is nothing funny about Hitler, sorry to say that. I don't get them either and actually, my stomach kind of felt weird while I watched this video. Sorry, Hitler jokes are not really something Germans can enjoy or...should enjoy. Tasteless.

You must realise outside Germany (maybe inside as well I don't know)  most people find that video with its subtitles extremely funny and applied to the GT3 fiasco is hilarious, maybe it is that people like to think that Hitler was so insane that he should be the subject of ridicule. It most certainly is not aimed at modern Germans, most definitely not. The line "I put those idiots in business"  I thought was a little unnecessary but this is just black humour.... 

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:
    RC:
    KresoF1:

You must realise outside Germany (maybe inside as well I don't know)  most people find that video with its subtitles extremely funny and applied to the GT3 fiasco is hilarious, maybe it is that people like to think that Hitler was so insane that he should be the subject of ridicule. It most certainly is not aimed at modern Germans, most definitely not. The line "I put those idiots in business"  I thought was a little unnecessary but this is just black humour...

From the entertainment point of view, when this parody was first done it had a kind of innovation value for some. But as it is repeated over and over again covering various topics, it gets boring IMO.

I watched that film (Der Untergang/Downfall)several times and it is one of my favourites in my library. The actor portraying Hitler is top in his acting.

As to the Hitler legacy, modern Germans feel very ashamed and uncomfortable about that era and consequently find such parodies very improper. However, many nationalities around the world don't care much about the Nazis because their paths hadn't crossed in history or even if they did cross the consequences were not as grim as for others. They might find other regimes and figures in their history much more hateful and detestable than Hitler and his system of authority. For such people Hitler could be anything from peculiar to charismatic and they could find such parodies comical.

--

"Form follows function"

Every country has its dark chapter. Unfairly, Germans get their noses rubbed into it more than most.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:
    911rox:

This is really weird. Every single rumor I heard indicates the GT3 RS but car magazines keep on reporting on a GT2. I don't say I know it for sure that a GT2 won't come but if it comes, it would be a huge surprise. Smiley

Maybe Porsche changed their (model) strategy, delayed the GT3 RS (because of obvious issues with the GT3) and went for a GT2 instead to cover the "gap"? Possible but again, I would be very surprised.

I agree - in particular, why would Porsche representatives talk in public (very recently in magazines) about the uncertain future of the GT2 if the model was to be presented shortly... This would be annoying and intentionally misleading. Some customers might get angry if fooled this way...

You mean, just like they insisted there would not be a diesel...

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

I have 4 Germans under my employ in my office here in the states.  3 PhD's, one 60 (16 years in the US), one 43 (8 years in the US), one 42 (8 years in the US), and an assistant about 32 years old.

I circulated the video and they thought it was funny even though they didn't have the complete context.  But then again they are fairly westernized and 'got' the humor.  For me, I draw a clear distinction b/t the modern Germany and the nazi regime that was in place decades before I was born.  To me, two independent groups, with the nazis being almost fictional. 

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

I am Austrian and I laughed my ass off at this latest version like I have at all the versions.  That anyone would take an actor seriously and be offended means perhaps that some have not dealt with the seriousness of the evil sufficiently.

I am much more offended when I hear Obama speak - he constantly lies about things which obviously are not so.

I wish AH had screamed about lack of manual transmission a bit...  BTW, my father heard AH speak in person when he 'marched' into Austria - he can do a pretty decent impression himself.  Scares the crap out of me actually.

nberry:

Every country has its dark chapter. Unfairly, Germans get their noses rubbed into it more than most.

The Nazis weren't just a dark chapter but I guess it is difficult to discuss this with people of arab descent, as much as it hurts me to say it. I worked with many arabs and most of them saw Hitler as some sort of personal hero because he killed the jews. Sorry, Nick but this is a reality. This may also explain the very good reputation Germans have in the Middle East, another weird fact. Don't say this is not true, I met tons of people from the Middle East and 99% of them were at some point telling me how much they admire Germans...and what they did in WWII. "Funny" side story: After the jews, Hitler would have killed the arabs too, it would have been just a matter of time. Not many arabs with blue eyes, blonde hair and fair skin around the Middle East. Smiley

Sorry for being a little bit more political than I should but we take our Nazi past more serious than others. I agree, modern Germany is completely different and even if there are some Nazi groups still around, we have less "self-declared" Nazis than the US for example. I actually worry much more about the leftist movement in Germany, not the right wing one. Smiley

--

frayed:

I have 4 Germans under my employ in my office here in the states.  3 PhD's, one 60 (16 years in the US), one 43 (8 years in the US), one 42 (8 years in the US), and an assistant about 32 years old.

I circulated the video and they thought it was funny even though they didn't have the complete context.  But then again they are fairly westernized and 'got' the humor.  For me, I draw a clear distinction b/t the modern Germany and the nazi regime that was in place decades before I was born.  To me, two independent groups, with the nazis being almost fictional. 

They were just polite. Smiley

--

RC:
    nberry:

The Nazis weren't just a dark chapter but I guess it is difficult to discuss this with people of arab descent, as much as it hurts me to say it. I worked with many arabs and most of them saw Hitler as some sort of personal hero because he killed the jews. Sorry, Nick but this is a reality. This may also explain the very good reputation Germans have in the Middle East, another weird fact. Don't say this is not true, I met tons of people from the Middle East and 99% of them were at some point telling me how much they admire Germans...and what they did in WWII. "Funny" side story: After the jews, Hitler would have killed the arabs too, it would have been just a matter of time. Not many arabs with blue eyes, blonde hair and fair skin around the Middle East. Smiley

Sorry for being a little bit more political than I should but we take our Nazi past more serious than others. I agree, modern Germany is completely different and even if there are some Nazi groups still around, we have less "self-declared" Nazis than the US for example. I actually worry much more about the leftist movement in Germany, not the right wing one. Smiley

"History is written by the victors" 

Don't take at face value everything that you read nowadays.

IMO the two atom bombs in Japan, were monumentous crimes, unnecessary and cowardly. See how these events are treated today, as generations have been brainwashed that they were eseential to end the war and the world has  to be grateful for what happened.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Don't take at face value everything that you read nowadays.

IMO the two atom bombs in Japan, were monumentous crimes, unnecessary and cowardly. See how these events are treated today, as generations have been brainwashed that they were eseential to end the war and the world has  to be grateful for what happened.

--

"Form follows function"

I have a slightly different opinion about this since this wasn't a planned genocide but a strategical decision to (hopefully) shorten the length of the war, which they actually did. Not sure however if the second bomb was really necessary but thats a different story. Don't forget that Japan attacked the US without a declaration of war, so... Smiley From a war crime point of view, the mass killing of civilians in war is disputable but the attack on Hawaii without a declaration of war was clearly a crime. 

Let's stop with politics now and continue what is really important Smiley...the GT3. Smiley

--

Since we have no further news about the health of the afflicted GT3, we diverted to politics!

As with politics also with cars a lot is based on propaganda. People are fickle and gullible. The GT3 attracted godlike admiration up 10 days ago, whereas now it is on the delete list. Same with political figures and events.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806281 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449450 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267022 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7171 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887133 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835850 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM