Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

There was an excuse for the Cayenne in that it was conceived in order to keep Porsche independent and enable Porsche to produce top sportscars.

But what is the point with the Macan, now that Porsche is owned by VW? And I am sure the rumoured small sedan will be coming soon.

On the contrary, IMO the top performance Panameras suit the Porsche brand very well.

--

"Form follows function"

Before I can accept this "Porsche has lost its exclusivity" line of thinking, i need to know more facts.  Just because Porsche is producing more cars--and bringing Macans into the market--does not mean loss of exclusivity.  For example, what is the overall volume of cars sold worldwide now?  What new buyers are entering the overall market today versus the number five years ago?  In other words, if the overall market for cars in increasing greater than the number of new Porsches coming into the market, will the percentage of Porsches on the road increase?  If a metropolitan area sees a growth of 20,000 more cars on the road over fiver years, and there is the same relative percentage of Porsches sold as before, has Porsches "exclusivity" really changed?

And there is the question of markets.  Most of Porsche's new markets are in China and the Middle East.  So will Porsche lose its "exclusivity" in other markets?

My sense is, until shown otherwise,  that Porsches are just as infrequently seen as ever, and that the addition of new Macans in various markets worldwide, will have little if any effect on perceived exclusivity.  

And please spare me the old Ferraris are more "exclusive" than Porsches argument.  Porsches and Ferraris are different cars, as are their customer bases. 

Rodo de donde has sacado esas imágenes?? por la resolución parecen ser de press.porsche.com o presse.porsche.de

CAYENNE TURBO S 09 PCCB

Mmmm...bueno, mejor no digo nadaSmiley

Wonderbar:

Before I can accept this "Porsche has lost its exclusivity" line of thinking, i need to know more facts.  Just because Porsche is producing more cars--and bringing Macans into the market--does not mean loss of exclusivity.  For example, what is the overall volume of cars sold worldwide now?  What new buyers are entering the overall market today versus the number five years ago?  In other words, if the overall market for cars in increasing greater than the number of new Porsches coming into the market, will the percentage of Porsches on the road increase?  If a metropolitan area sees a growth of 20,000 more cars on the road over fiver years, and there is the same relative percentage of Porsches sold as before, has Porsches "exclusivity" really changed?

And there is the question of markets.  Most of Porsche's new markets are in China and the Middle East.  So will Porsche lose its "exclusivity" in other markets?

My sense is, until shown otherwise,  that Porsches are just as infrequently seen as ever, and that the addition of new Macans in various markets worldwide, will have little if any effect on perceived exclusivity.  

And please spare me the old Ferraris are more "exclusive" than Porsches argument.  Porsches and Ferraris are different cars, as are their customer bases. 

Exclusivity in the strict sense refers to number only, but in relation to a car it has to be something special and above the mainstream too. Most Cayenne and Panamera variants sold are too ordinary with their feeble engines and very basic specification. And the intro level upcoming 4C Macans will have to rival the very mainstream Evoque and the Q5 for success. Definitely this model is not special enough for the legendary badge.

Someone could argue that 200.000 units are a drop in the  global automotive ocean, thus exclusivity is safely guaranted. But it is not about just numbers. If that was the only criterium! an Audi 2.0 TDI could be perceived as exclusive because it is one of just 1.5 million Audis produced out of a gobal annual production of 60 million cars.

Porsche have taken a wrong turn surprise But if they win Le Mans for us, I might partly forgive them Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche Macan Turbo tested on track...

"The new Porsche Macan Turbo is more high-riding Cayman than junior Cayenne - in fact it's the most fluid and engaging SUV we've ever driven. The Porsche Macan Turbo might owe its underpinnings to the Audi Q5, but you'll not mind much else from Audi here. What Porsche has done in the development of the Macan is not only build a compact SUV that's ferociously fast and superb fun to drive, but established a new benchmark on which to measure SUV dynamics. "

Porsche Macan Turbo tested on track -- Autocar video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thanks Reginos, a cogent response.  I think the term "exclusivity" is throwing me off.  While I understand your definition of exclusivity as being "something special, above the mainstream as applied to cars", that definition is yours and not a standard definition as found in a dictionary.  As more precisely defined, exclusivity is a state of being exclusive, and exclusive is defined as: 

adj.

1. Excluding or tending to exclude: exclusive barriers.
    2. Not allowing something else; incompatible: mutually exclusive conditions.
    3. Not divided or shared with others: exclusive publishing rights.
    4. Not accompanied by others; single or sole: your exclusive function.
    5. Complete; undivided: gained their exclusive attention.
    6. Not including the specified extremes or limits, but only the area between them: 20-25, exclusive; that is, 21, 22, 23 and 24.
    7. Excluding some or most, as from membership or participation: an exclusive club.
    8. Catering to a wealthy clientele; expensive

I  doubt one could say that Porsche's decision to market the Macan applies to any of the above.  

But leaving the confusing "exclusivity" word out of the discussion, I think it is certainly fair to argue that, by introducing a car in an already crowded and fairly ubiquitous segment, Porsche is diminishing its brand as an iconic sportscar manufacturer with a brilliant history of racing, engineering and dedication to form following function.  It surely stretches this brand when one tries to imagine a Macan decked out in full racing garb and competing at LeMans.  One can still picture a 911, Cayman or Boxster on the track, but not a four door "crossover" or small SUV.

Porsche of course is aware of image diminishment, and goes to great lengths to infuse all of its products with race bred engineering and superlative performance.  It seems to me that the Macan has these "Porsche characteristics", and is worthy of the badge.  While the Macan will be entering a segment crowded with Evoques, X5s, etc., i think (and hope) that the Macan will stand out above these competitors because it has more of pure Porsche engineering and performance, which in turn polishes the image rather than dulls it.  

Please regard my remarks as fun discussion, not argument.  The topic is certainly an interesting one, and can easily be ill put   or misunderstood.  

There is no doubt that the Macan qualifies for a place in Porsche's Pantheon of performance.

However, for its price and seating, the rear side windows not being able to roll all the way down seems like something that GM would have done in the 80's. And until the Macan there were no Audi's or Kia's with a silhouette that could be mistaken for a Porsche. I think its a great concept but the side look is white bread generic and its pricing only looks like a good deal  when compared to other Porsche models. But hey, with Porsche's brand and their potential to slice and dice a growing world wide market they can get away a lot. Is one Macan Turbo worth 2 look a like Audi Q5's? I don't think so but some will.

Wonderbar:

Porsche of course is aware of image diminishment, and goes to great lengths to infuse all of its products with race bred engineering and superlative performance.  It seems to me that the Macan has these "Porsche characteristics", and is worthy of the badge.  While the Macan will be entering a segment crowded with Evoques, X5s, etc., i think (and hope) that the Macan will stand out above these competitors because it has more of pure Porsche engineering and performance, which in turn polishes the image rather than dulls it.  

Please regard my remarks as fun discussion, not argument.  The topic is certainly an interesting one, and can easily be ill put   or misunderstood.  

I hope Porsche are really aware of the potential damage to their brand name with this overploriferation and make the Macan their last mainstream model.

We only await the 960 and the "new 928" now, to complete the range.

Please Porsche don't be tempted to give us a 5 series/E class rival on the excuse that Maserati introduced the Ghibli.

--

"Form follows function"

JimFlat6:

the rear side windows not being able to roll all the way down

isn't this a safety feature to stop kids falling out or resting face/arms on window ledge?

sfo:
    JimFlat6:

the rear side windows not being able to roll all the way down

isn't this a safety feature to stop kids falling out or resting face/arms on window ledge?

All cars are like this according to European specifications.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

There was an excuse for the Cayenne in that it was conceived in order to keep Porsche independent and enable Porsche to produce top sportscars.

But what is the point with the Macan, now that Porsche is owned by VW? And I am sure the rumoured small sedan will be coming soon.

On the contrary, IMO the top performance Panameras suit the Porsche brand very well.

Actually, Porsche SE still has the majority in VW stock as far as I remember, so VW is owned by Porsche. Smiley

Then, Mr. Piech is a member of the Porsche family and he cares a lot about Porsche.

So far, I don't think that VW's "influence" upon Porsche has been to their disadvantage, on the contrary but it remains to be seen.

I agree about the exclusivity and Porsche needs to be very very careful not to become a second or third Audi/BMW. If this happens, this would hurt VW as well, so they cannot be interested in that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC, I am aware of the share holding position. However, the decision making is predominantly influenced by the VW Group and I presume Herr Piech himself is totally involved in strategic matters.

My question is why do VW Group need another small SUV in the form of the Macan, when in doing so they are devaluing and relegating significantly a historic top brand name like Porsche? If I were a journalist I'd like to ask this question to Piech because it puzzles my logic.

The Macan might be a great car for its class (the Evoque/Q5/X3 segment that also includes some Hondas and KIAs) but there is no escaping the fact that it is a "cheap" (although not inexpensive) car for a top automotive brand. On one hand Porsche are doing their best to lose their exclusivity and on the other hand they demand almost Ferrari/McLaren money for the top versions of the 911!!

Big mistake this ravishing on the Porsche name. In future, it might be taught in business schools on a "How not to do things in business" course.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

RC, I am aware of the share holding position. However, the decision making is predominantly influenced by the VW Group and I presume Herr Piech himself is totally involved in strategic matters.

Mr. Piech runs the show...even if it may not look that way.

My question is why do VW Group need another small SUV in the form of the Macan, when in doing so they are devaluing and relegating significantly a historic top brand name like Porsche? If I were a journalist I'd like to ask this question to Piech because it puzzles my logic.

Why pass on an opportunity? I know this sounds weird. I agree, Porsche should leave the Macan sized SUVs to Audi and others and concentrate on the Cayenne. I would also tank the Cayman and maybe even the current Panamera in exchange for a smaller, more dynamic looking sedan. I am not working for Porsche, so I don't know the why and so on but I am surprised myself, since Porsche really doesn't "need" the extra business anymore.

The Macan might be a great car for its class (the Evoque/Q5/X3 segment) but there is no escaping the fact that it is a "cheap" (although not inexpensive) car for a top automotive brand. On one hand Porsche are doing their best to lose their exclusivity and on the other hand they demand almost Ferrari/McLaren money for the top versions of the 911!!

The Macan Turbo is OK in my opinion, same goes to a high powered Diesel version with let's say 350 hp or so. Everything below this, should be left to Audi. I think the same about he Cayenne btw: Everything "below" the Cayenne S  or S Diesel should stay with Audi and VW.

Big mistake this ravishing on the Porsche brand. In future, it might be taught in business schools on a "How not to do things in business" course.

I'm afraid sales figures tell a different story. Or to use the words of the boss of a development department: "You are in the 3% minority customer group with your demands and wishes.". I guess we are different than other customers. As long as Porsche sells more and more cars, I guess this strategy will continue. In the end, it could bite them in the a.., I agree, especially when sports cars sales go down. The question is: Will it matter (anymore)?! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

In my opinion, it's the other way around. Porsche has never been an exclusive or exotic brand. The 911 became iconic, because of it's shape, layout and for the fact that it was a sportscar that can be used every day. However, it never was intended to be an exotic like Ferrari or other exclusive brands. 911 is always produced in pretty high numbers for a sportscar. It's a mainstream sportscar, nothing more, nothing less..... (For me that is the appeal of the brand)

The fact that the 911 is operating in the price range of exotic cars these days, may be the big mistake. You all know that I adore the 991 and especially the TTS, but if you look at the 991 TTS without pink Porsche sunglasses on your nose, the car is just too expensive for what you get. No matter how good the car is, it will never be an exotic. The interior for example is not that much different form a Boxster that costs 1/4 of the TTS's price.

For me, the fact that the car isn't an exotic, is a good thing, but why do I have to pay "exotic" money for the car, when it isn't one. The 911 is the VW Golf in "sportscar-land", probably one of the best cars you can get, but just too expensive. Although it's a better performing car,  the 991 doesn't make me "feel" more special than a Boxster does. (If you can get over the idea that you "need" a 911, that is....) 

I don't see the why a Macan would harm the brand Porsche to be honest. There is a market for this type of SUV, so why not take benefit of that. Porsche is very good at making SUVs and the name only helps. Porsche doesn't stand for exclusivity, but for well engineered cars that are positioned just a little bit above the premium brands like Audi, BMW and Mercedes. It's different enough from the Q5 to not take customers away from Audi and it's "flashy" enough to compete with SUVs like the Evoque, that stand out from the rest of the SUVs. I can only like the idea that more people will be able to drive a Porsche. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

In my opinion, it's the other way around. Porsche has never been an exclusive or exotic brand. The 911 became iconic, because of it's shape, layout and for the fact that it was a sportscar that can be used every day. However, it never was intended to be an exotic like Ferrari or other exclusive brands. 911 is always produced in pretty high numbers for a sportscar. It's a mainstream sportscar, nothing more, nothing less..... (For me that is the appeal of the brand)

I hate to say this but I think you are too young to understand where Porsche stood many years ago (I remember it very very well) and yes, they were never an exotic brand but still quite exclusive and special. Porsche owners received a lot of public sympathy in the past, nowadays, it has changed, especially since Porsche introduced the Boxster and much worse (for public perception), the Cayenne. Even if both are pretty successful, the public perception of the brand has suffered since many people believe that the 911 is the one and only true Porsche. It is interesting because Porsche actually wanted to replace the 911 with the 928 and sales numbers were dropping...until the 911 in 993 flavor suddenly got a surprising revival.

Even now, I don't think Porsche sports cars are mainstream sportscars but the brand itself has kind of become mainstream and this could hurt the brand sooner or later and probably already started to hurt it.

Porsche kind of damaged the brand with the 924 and later on with the 944 and maybe even 968. History may repeat itself but now things are a little bit different since the Macan is not supposed to replace the icon 911 or even compete with it at a different price level. Smiley

Personally, I would like to see the following happen with Porsche:

1. Ditch the Cayman (yes, I know...but the Boxster is everything the Cayman can and will be and Porsche will never professionally race the Cayman)

2. Ditch the current Panamera and offer a more dynamic, lighter and smaller Panamera in the 80-130k price range. Only one Diesel engine with 400 hp. V6 bi-turbo with 450 hp and V8 with 500 hp. Maybe add a V8 bi-turbo with 550 hp.

3. Make the 911 superior to other sports car brands (keep the high price tag but give the Carrera 450 and the Carrera S 500 horses, give the Turbo 600 horses and the Turbo S 650 horses, give the GT3 550 horses, etc.), the 911 needs to be a total winner in every class and they need to send a message to the competition.

4. Make a "960" in the 170-300k price range (three models, V8 with 500 hp, V8 bi-turbo with 600 hp and V8 tri-turbo with  700 hp)

5. Ditch the Cayenne Diesel and the V6, give the Diesel S at least 400 horses, the S at least 420 horses and the Turbo at least 550 horses. Maybe a Turbo S with 600 horses.

6. Ditch all Macan models except the S, the S Diesel and the Turbo/S.

7. Boxster with 300 hp, Boxster S with 350 hp, Boxster GTS with 380 hp and a Boxster RS with 420 hp.

This would be the Porsche model range I would like to see from Porsche but I know it is never going to happen.

Btw: Horse power increase could be compensated by weight reduction (as an alternative to excessive hp increase).

The message: Porsche is about dynamic and sporty car models, not about just wearing a badge on a crazy ass slow Diesel. Smiley

--

But RC, Porsche always had the 914/916 and 924/944. Didn't they "cheapen" the brand too?

WAY:
    But RC, Porsche always had the 914/916 and 924/944. Didn't they "cheapen" the brand too?

Sorry, you were faster. Smiley Look at the above post. Smiley

--

WAY:

That was a different era when 99% of the car sold didn't handle and 200+ HP and 200+km/h were fantastic figures.

I've read an article on the 924 in a CAR magazine of the late 70s showing a picture from the front of the then new model taking a very easy curve by today's standards at 80mph (130km/h) and being impressed by its "rock steady stability". Those were the standards of the time.

Besides, the 944/944 Turbo were faster point to point than the Carrera 3.2 due to their superior balance.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    SuzyF:

I hate to say this but I think you are too young to understand where Porsche stood many years ago (I remember it very very well) and yes, they were never an exotic brand but still quite exclusive and special. Porsche owners received a lot of public sympathy in the past, nowadays, it has changed, especially since Porsche introduced the Boxster and much worse (for public perception), the Cayenne. Even if both are pretty successful, the public perception of the brand has suffered since many people believe that the 911 is the one and only true Porsche. It is interesting because Porsche actually wanted to replace the 911 with the 928 and sales numbers were dropping...until the 911 in 993 flavor suddenly got a surprising revival.

Even now, I don't think Porsche sports cars are mainstream sportscars but the brand itself has kind of become mainstream and this could hurt the brand sooner or later and probably already started to hurt it.

Porsche kind of damaged the brand with the 924 and later on with the 944 and maybe even 968. History may repeat itself but now things are a little bit different since the Macan is not supposed to replace the icon 911 or even compete with it at a different price level. Smiley

1. Ditch the Cayman (yes, I know...but the Boxster is everything the Cayman can and will be and Porsche will never professionally race the Cayman)

2. Ditch the current Panamera and offer a more dynamic, lighter and smaller Panamera in the 80-130k price range. Only one Diesel engine with 400 hp. V6 bi-turbo with 450 hp and V8 with 500 hp. Maybe add a V8 bi-turbo with 550 hp.

3. Make the 911 superior to other sports car brands (keep the high price tag but give the Carrera 450 and the Carrera S 500 horses, give the Turbo 600 horses and the Turbo S 650 horses, give the GT3 550 horses, etc.), the 911 needs to be a total winner in every class and they need to send a message to the competition.

4. Make a "960" in the 170-300k price range (three models, V8 with 500 hp, V8 bi-turbo with 600 hp and V8 tri-turbo with  700 hp)

5. Ditch the Cayenne Diesel and the V6, give the Diesel S at least 400 horses, the S at least 420 horses and the Turbo at least 550 horses. Maybe a Turbo S with 600 horses.

7. Boxster with 300 hp, Boxster S with 350 hp, Boxster GTS with 380 hp and a Boxster RS with 420 hp.

This would be the Porsche model range I would like to see from Porsche but I know it is never going to happen.

Btw: Horse power increase could be compensated by weight reduction (as an alternative to excessive hp increase).

The message: Porsche is about dynamic and sporty car models, not about just wearing a badge on a crazy ass slow Diesel. Smiley

RC, all your points are valid but I wouldn't agree on the following:

1. The 924 was a top sports coupe in its day. It only had 120+PS at the beginning and worse an optional rubbish 3 speed auto but this was soon rectified with the excellent 924 Turbo, 924 Carrera GT and the 944/Turbo evolution. IMO they are worthy Porsches.
    2. The Cayman should stay. It doesn't sell as well as the Boxster but a mid-engined affordable coupe serves a market niche. A very unique sportscar (and good looking in the 981version).
    3. Abolish the Macan altogether when its current cycle ends and gift it to Audi.

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche has the highest profit margins of any volume maker .. it's natural they want to increase volume to take advantage of this margin.

Macan is a great idea .. it brings into the Porsche fold, folks who are vaguely interested in cars, but whose hobby is definitely not cars.

My sister and her husband who have long sworn that they would never buy a new car, let alone a new Porsche, have ordered a Macan S Diesel.

Why? Some if it is because of me suggesting that they think about it.

But the main reason is the Macan is the best looking mid sized SUV out there, with the best interior and the highest quality and feel good factor. My sister thinks the Q5 looks dull (interior and exterior) and far too many around, the BMW X3 cheap and nasty and no GLK in UK means Mercedes also excluded. Their current car is a 8.5 year old C230. They are not into cars, but the C230 is now not big enough and they needed a new car. Such is the attraction of the new Macan. I think my sister is typical of the Macan's target market, and Porsche has a huge sales hit on their hands.

sfo:

Porsche has the highest profit margins of any volume maker .. it's natural they want to increase volume to take advantage of this margin.

Macan is a great idea .. it brings into the Porsche fold, folks who are vaguely interested in cars, but whose hobby is definitely not cars.

My sister and her husband who have long sworn that they would never buy a new car, let alone a new Porsche, have ordered a Macan S Diesel.

Why? Some if it is because of me suggesting that they think about it.

But the main reason is the Macan is the best looking mid sized SUV out there, with the best interior and the highest quality and feel good factor. My sister thinks the Q5 looks dull (interior and exterior) and far too many around, the BMW X3 cheap and nasty and no GLK in UK means Mercedes also excluded. Their current car is a 8.5 year old C230. They are not into cars, but the C230 is now not big enough and they needed a new car. Such is the attraction of the new Macan. I think my sister is typical of the Macan's target market, and Porsche has a huge sales hit on their hands.

Porsche has the highest profit margins in the industry because due to the brand name it can sell relatively mainstream models at a great premium .

However, as more and more mainstream models are being introduced in search of higher profits, the brand name is being depreciated. I foresee that very soon less and less buyers will be willing to pay the price premium asked for by Porsche, both for the sports models and the non-sport models, as the badge keeps sliding to the Audi/BMW level. Consequently, Porsche stand to lose both the new customers who have come to the brand for the image rub-off and the old customers for whom the Porsche name meant much more.

Who would pay 200+ EUR for a 911 Turbo or 250+EUR for the 960 when the streets are full of Macans and small-version Panameras?

Similarly, the 918 in spite of its tech and performance has not been in great demand relative to the Ferrari and the P1, because it is not expected to have a future investment value. Why? Because since the Cayenne the Porsche badge doesn't count for very much.

Porsche and VW appear to be very short sighted, unfortunately.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    SuzyF:

--

Christian, you are too much about numbers only Smiley  Haha 

An example: driving a 180hp Abarth 695 puts a bigger smile on my face than driving a 625hp McLaren.  There's so much more than just numbers. 

However I agree with most of your points though, except for the Cayman. That car is unique in its class and has IMHO not one serious opponent, just like the Boxster. Porsche just needs to get rid of the base models of both 981 and 991 and give the 911 a completely different interior, that is more up there with its pricetag. That's what people want these days. It's a daily driveable sportscar, which means that people expect it to have all the goodies a "normal" luxurious daily driver offers. For the "purists" there's the GT3 (RS). 

The Macan is a great addition to the line-up IMHO. It's the new benchmark in its class and that is what Porsche is about.

Regarding diesels... I'll bet that my A6 diesel easily holds up with your SRT8 on public, speed restricted roads, but I do think that Porsche has made a mistake by putting the wrong Audi diesel engine in the Macan. There's a huge difference between the 3.0 TDI and the 3.0 BiTDI and the latter would suit the Porsche brand much better. For the purpose that most Macans will have, a diesel is an ideal engine. However... No diesel sounds as good as a petrol engine of course... Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    the 3.0 BiTDI and the latter would suit the Porsche brand much better

no doubt reserved for the facelift Cayenne 

Agree with SFO.  Macan will bring many more Porsche buyers into the brand, and that will translate to more Porsche buyers of higher range models.  A very high percent of first Porsche buyers will buy another--often higher range-model.  

Look at Macan as increasing brand loyalty,  raising more dollars for research/development, and leading to further "up the line" purchases.  And besides, it looks to be a great car in its own right...

Do you really think that Macan S Diesel buyer will once up on a time in the future decide to buy somehting from 911 range?

I do NOT think so at all.

Macan S Diesel(258ps model) will be the best seller in EU from Macan range(until 4 cyl models appear). How much really better is Macan S Diesel then Q5 3.0 TDI with the same engine? Objective answer is as hard as possible for any Porsche fan...

Porsche should have been competing against Ferrari and now McLaren, instead of registering easy victories against rivals like the RR Evoque. BTW I've read the verdict in the Autocar magazine of the Macan-Evoque comparison. In that context the newest Porsche was a revelation. So what?

--

"Form follows function"

Kreso, I do believe that new Macan owners, even Deisel S owners, will be strongly inclined to buy a Porsche again.  A typical pattern for new Cayenne buyers is to buy a six cylinder, then if budgets later improve,  they will move up to a  GTS  or better.  The model of Porsche--911 included--will depend on individual circumstances (family, age, etc.).  

I can see some people moving from the 911 to a powerful/sporty version of the Macan (e.g. Macan GTS), and save having two cars, one  daily and one sports.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806259 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449444 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267017 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7171 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887111 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835796 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM