Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

DJC:

Wow! All that speculation ,you guys all seem to know a lot without any facts .

Smiley I have access to a lot of information and many speculations are just not true. However, I think that Porsche should be more offensive with their information practice, especially when it comes to customers. It would be simple to just put together some sort of information bulletin for all owners to inform them, so they do not have to rely on speculations from the internet. I also have to admit that I wish Porsche would be a little bit more straight forward but right now, they are assessing the situation, so this may be the reason why there isn't much to go with...yet.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Christian, to you believe the story regarding the piston rod failure? My understanding is that other German media outlets have picked it up including the German CNN. 

The story, such as it is, has reached the major news outlets. Factual reporting is now out of the question. The only question remaining is the extent to which the story mutates which is mostly related to its lifespan on the front burner.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Porsche stopped delivery of the new GT3 today and will fix the problem.

--

Being polite is so rare these days that it's often confused with flirting.

nberry:

Christian, to you believe the story regarding the piston rod failure? My understanding is that other German media outlets have picked it up including the German CNN. 

So far I heard of two confirmed issues (both apparently related to supplier quality):

1. oil cooler (bolts, ducts)

2. thermostat (coolant)

Didn't hear anything about a piston rod failure so far (other than speculations on the internet) but this doesn't mean it didn't happen. Right now Porsche is investigating the whole thing, so please be patient. My contacts to PM are limited.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I called them yesterday on the service of my RS and "just happen to ask what is going on with the GT3 stop sale" and the dealer said HE doesn't even have the details - so knowing him personally quite well I would speculate that even if they have a 991 GT3 being sent back to them  they still don't know what to fix. yes so my conclusion is that Porsche hasn't given anybody any firm instruction yet....

I've been in conversation with my dealer about a GT3 that is coming, but now I'm not interested. He has no further information and being a factory owned dealer you would think they would be informed if there is more information. I suspect Porsche is still identifying for sure the cause of failure. As for me, I think I'll look into a GT3 again in second year of production. 

An enormous blunder on behalf of Porsche, especially after all this hype about the 9000rpm engine and the initial journalistic frenzy. No excuse could absolve Preuninger and his engineers of responsibility.

These things are good to happen once in a while, because Porsche with all their sales success since the Cayenne, thought they were infallible.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

An enormous blunder on behalf of Porsche, especially after all this hype about the 9000rpm engine and the initial journalistic frenzy. No excuse could absolve Preuninger and his engineers of responsibility.

These things are good to happen once in a while, because Porsche with all their sales success since the Cayenne, thought they were infallible.

--

"Form follows function"

exactly..even if I was just ordering a new boxster - I would cancel my order - just because of Porsches behaviour. If everybody would act like me..we could change things over there quite quickly.

Its that they come down from their arrogant position and tell us "peasants" what the real situation is..

Futch:
    GTlover:
    igirl:

I have always heard that the famous and so incredible 997 GT3RS 4.0 had engine issues also... No? :)

correct..the 4.0 was the most unrealiable from the old engines..but I never heard or read from a GT2 or GT2RS failure.

Still, 4.0 didnt burn down..but our criticism is also related to Porsches communication policy..and not only to the "product" Gt3..

Not correct. 

The 4.0 engine Mezger is just fine. The exhaust however is fragile. I just had mine replaced under warranty. 

The car is amazing and I would never upgrade it for the new GT3. Tried it, fine car but engine is an extrapolation from 991 and gearbox is fast but not fun. 

991 race car (cup and rsr) still use Mezger block, enough said really. 

There was a time not so long ago when Porsche developed race cars from their road cars. 

Less so now. The cup uses 991 chassis but Mezger block and proper gearbox. 

RSR has almost nothing in common with 991. 

Shame...

Hi futch, yes agreed - except for that I know of 2 major engine failures on the 4.0 - it wasnt the exhaust. But nevermind, the 4.0 is a great car..and collectors know this as well - so dont worry. Congrats on it--best decision.Smiley

the only thing to say.... this car is flaming hot smiley

Porsche is kind of pathetic in the way they are resolving this very, very serious problem. I am huge Porsche fan and I must admit that I am dissapointed with 991 GT3 problems.

911rox:
    RC:
    911rox:

ps. What were Porsche trying to prove by entering the NBR 24hr if they are "just street cars"? Hmmmmm.... Food for thought...I'll ponder this as I prepare to call it a night and sleep... :)

Porsche also builds race cars...they cost a little bit more money and are usually not street legal. If you need one, I can help you through a Porsche Motorsport contact. Just saying...

C'mon, you get what I am trying to say but you are p.ss.d because of your CL issues. I get it but you also need to understand Porsche's side of the story. This doesn't mean they build bad cars or that they don't care about customers.

What is Posche's side of the story? They build fast cars, introduce new technology and when they get it wrong they wash their hands clean of the problem with excuses? They chose to adopt CLs, the failed to engineer and execute correctly, they owe it to their customers to get it right and right a wrong! FULL STOP...

Today its CLs, tomorrow it may be the new "motorsport" motor. So will it be fair for customers to be told they need to strip/ rebuild their motor every 20000 track kms, 3 years after introduction at their own expense because there is an issue but Porsche don't feel the need to address it?

They charge good money for their products... If they want to protect their reputation and look after customers, they need to drop the arrogance and step up to fix their mistakes properly.Ferraris started to burn, That would have been humiliating for the company but they admited their fault, sort a solution and fixed the cars permanently. Thats what a good company does... Looks after its customers and reputation over its double digit bottom line!!!!

Porsche, you are too kind... Proving me right a year and 135 pages after this was all debated regarding their sloppy engineering practices of late... Obviously they are slow to learn from past mistakes with regards to sloppy engineering, poor testing and substandard QC... 

My next $300k cheque will probably be better spent feeding the homeless or a childrens' charity rather than buying a $300k BBQ because Porsche are too greedy to look after customers with a quality product... Shameful...

Spoke to me dealer . He said that for the moment they  have been told to not give any info ( they actually don't have any ) and not deliver new cars  and wait until Wednesday or Thursday, as Porsche will then give official infos.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Rang my OPC yesterday and they do not know any factual info as of yet. Mine is yet to be built, thank goodness, and will not leave until this has all been solved.

@ nberry, yes, a piston rod being fitted at an OPC would not please me too. Some guys here in the UK took delivery of theirs 3 week back and the VIN suggest ( apparently ) their GT3's are safe and not in and involved in the faulty batch build slots. ( or will Porsche ride and gamble with the maybe warranty scenarios )..

Whatever the case, Porsche need to have the balls to come out and talk..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up 01/03/14.

So, I am now looking at April delivery now..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

GT3 pick up 01/03/14.

911rox:
    911rox:
    RC:
    911rox:

ps. What were Porsche trying to prove by entering the NBR 24hr if they are "just street cars"? Hmmmmm.... Food for thought...I'll ponder this as I prepare to call it a night and sleep... :)

Porsche also builds race cars...they cost a little bit more money and are usually not street legal. If you need one, I can help you through a Porsche Motorsport contact. Just saying...

C'mon, you get what I am trying to say but you are p.ss.d because of your CL issues. I get it but you also need to understand Porsche's side of the story. This doesn't mean they build bad cars or that they don't care about customers.

What is Posche's side of the story? They build fast cars, introduce new technology and when they get it wrong they wash their hands clean of the problem with excuses? They chose to adopt CLs, the failed to engineer and execute correctly, they owe it to their customers to get it right and right a wrong! FULL STOP...

Today its CLs, tomorrow it may be the new "motorsport" motor. So will it be fair for customers to be told they need to strip/ rebuild their motor every 20000 track kms, 3 years after introduction at their own expense because there is an issue but Porsche don't feel the need to address it?

They charge good money for their products... If they want to protect their reputation and look after customers, they need to drop the arrogance and step up to fix their mistakes properly.Ferraris started to burn, That would have been humiliating for the company but they admited their fault, sort a solution and fixed the cars permanently. Thats what a good company does... Looks after its customers and reputation over its double digit bottom line!!!!

Porsche, you are too kind... Proving me right a year and 135 pages after this was all debated regarding their sloppy engineering practices of late... Obviously they are slow to learn from past mistakes with regards to sloppy engineering, poor testing and substandard QC... 

My next $300k cheque will probably be better spent feeding the homeless or a childrens' charity rather than buying a $300k BBQ because Porsche are too greedy to look after customers with a quality product... Shameful...

Hey Chris, it's Wayne here with the white 997.2 GT3 CS (or was it the grey touring when I met you - sorry can't remember!). Do you still have your GT3? Been awhile, fancy seeing you here. 

911rox:

Sloppy engineering? I doubt it. Supplier issues? More likely. Not that this should be an excuse for them.

--

RC:
    911rox:

Sloppy engineering? I doubt it. Supplier issues? More likely. Not that this should be an excuse for them.

How do we know that for sure? It certainly has put some customers off buying this car - me for a start. Like Nick said, I don't want Porsche to be cracking open my brand new engine to replace a piston. May not be an issue technically, but the idea just doesn't gel with me. I've been lucky that the many Porsches I've had have all been pretty good, with only minor fault like faulty wipers recently on one of my 981s. But I could have had RMS in a 986/996, faulty oil lines in a 996 GT3, or CL issue in my later GT3s, so I don't want to push my luck buying a car that has a known fault. 

WAY:
    How do we know that for sure? It certainly has put some customers off buying this car - me for a start. Like Nick said, I don't want Porsche to be cracking open my brand new engine to replace a piston. May not be an issue technically, but the idea just doesn't gel with me. I've been lucky that the many Porsches I've had have all been pretty good, with only minor fault like faulty wipers recently on one of my 981s. But I could have had RMS in a 986/996, faulty oil lines in a 996 GT3, or CL issue in my later GT3s, so I don't want to push my luck buying a car that has a known fault. 

I guess the words "trust me" won't help you much? Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    911rox:

Porsche engineers provide performance and design specifications for components supplied by their vendors, so Porsche engineering is definitely responsible, if not in the design group than in the production group for not adequately certifying the components for production installation.

The GT3 fires were just reported on CNBC.  

WAY:
    911rox:
    911rox:
    RC:
    911rox:

Hey Chris, it's Wayne here with the white 997.2 GT3 CS (or was it the grey touring when I met you - sorry can't remember!). Do you still have your GT3? Been awhile, fancy seeing you here. 

Hi Wayne, you bet I remember you champ, been a while... Yes I still have the same car... Still banging out laps at the track ;)

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    911rox:

Porsche engineers provide performance and design specifications for components supplied by their vendors, so Porsche engineering is definitely responsible, if not in the design group than in the production group for not adequately certifying the components for production installation.

Exactly! 

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    911rox:

I agree. Putting the blame on suppliers is just too convenient.

911rox:
    WAY:
    911rox:
    911rox:
    RC:
    911rox:

Hi Wayne, you bet I remember you champ, been a while... Yes I still have the same car... Still banging out laps at the track ;)

Smiley

WAY:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    911rox:

Next it will be George Bush's fault.Smiley

Leawood911:
    WAY:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    911rox:

Next it will be George Bush's fault.Smiley

no..Osam Bin Laden..his fellows have intruted the production site and have injected explosives in the engine that explode once the car has reached 90 degrees..Smiley

OK..no..lets be serious. Porsche will communicate something this week..I hope they get this right then..

ciao from Milano. Got my 991 gt3 on Jan 15. fully agree with DJC. with regards to my car they checked with the production n and they said no issue on mine.......so waiting for ormal anouncements

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806286 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449450 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267023 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7177 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887143 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835885 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM