Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

mp:
    RC:

I trust my own experience most but of course this doesn't help others with assessing the performance of the car. 

So far, none of the cars I encountered outran me, incl. the Carrera GT and a tuned 997.1 Turbo manual (claimed 550 hp). This is always the best proof. indecision

RC - your response is very typical. Have you EVER been beaten? I seem to recall stories about you beating a Ferrari with your old cayenne. LOL 

I remember outrunning a guy in a 360 with my older Cayenne Turbo S but this was on a track. Smiley Not even sure I mentioned it here. Smiley

As to being "beaten": Of course I've been "beaten" by other cars in the past (a Bugatti Veyron is faster than a tuned RUF 550 Smiley) but not in the 991 Turbo S yet. Sorry, you may not like it but it is how it is. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

andyFE:
    mp:
    RC:

I trust my own experience most but of course this doesn't help others with assessing the performance of the car. 

So far, none of the cars I encountered outran me, incl. the Carrera GT and a tuned 997.1 Turbo manual (claimed 550 hp). This is always the best proof. indecision

RC - your response is very typical. Have you EVER been beaten? I seem to recall stories about you beating a Ferrari with your old cayenne. LOL 

RC,

i wish you would not use such a one-dimensional measure for driving pleasure and ownership experience. we are out of the boy-racer years, are we not? Smiley 4

here is another test of the turbo S, which basically confirms the opinions of both of us: the turbo S is outrageously fast (your take) but not the most entertaining car (my take).

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Porsche-911-Turbo-S-vs-Nissan-GT-R-2014-CAR-review/

It is entertaining but maybe it depends on your needs, your neighborhood and the cars you compare it too. I actually don't know a more boring sports car than the GT-R but maybe this is just me. Even more boring than the previous 997.2 Turbo/S and this says a lot. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    andyFE:
    mp:
    RC:

RC,

i wish you would not use such a one-dimensional measure for driving pleasure and ownership experience. we are out of the boy-racer years, are we not? Smiley 4

here is another test of the turbo S, which basically confirms the opinions of both of us: the turbo S is outrageously fast (your take) but not the most entertaining car (my take).

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Porsche-911-Turbo-S-vs-Nissan-GT-R-2014-CAR-review/

It is entertaining but maybe it depends on your needs, your neighborhood and the cars you compare it too. I actually don't know a more boring sports car than the GT-R but maybe this is just me. Even more boring than the previous 997.2 Turbo/S and this says a lot. Smiley

--

i would agree on the GTR, but you see that driving pleasure is highly subjective and cannot be measured in km/h or km/h^2.

Well, my driving pleasure would suffer a serious blow if someone would outrun me. 

--

RC:

Well, my driving pleasure would suffer a serious blow if someone would outrun me. 

No offense Christian but that's kindda sad. Why should your own enjoyment depend on what other people do and how they drive. You don't need to be the fastest guy out there to have fun. 

Just saying Smiley

RC:
    mp:
    RC:

I remember outrunning a guy in a 360 with my older Cayenne Turbo S but this was on a track. Smiley Not even sure I mentioned it here. Smiley

As to being "beaten": Of course I've been "beaten" by other cars in the past (a Bugatti Veyron is faster than a tuned RUF 550 Smiley) but not in the 991 Turbo S yet. Sorry, you may not like it but it is how it is. Smiley

RC - You may not have mentioned it here but I have my sources.Smiley

As for your personal street racing experiences - IMHO, one never really knows the truth (or really cares). Someone may have missed a shift, or didn't really know how to drive well, or their car wasn't tuned well etc. Then there are the cheaters - you know, those who's cars aren't really stock after all.  Bottom line - entertaining stuff but it doesn't mean a thing for those with experience. Personally, while i appreciate good performance, I now look for other complimentary attributes, which i've mentioned before.

Not sure why you are so sensitive to any tts performance comments? It's performance is unbelievable - anything around 11s 1/4 mile is phenomenal.  I simply have doubt over vbox results which seem to contradict traditional measurements over 1/4 mile or km. 

And that's my final answer.Smiley

Enmanuel:
    RC:

No offense Christian but that's kindda sad. Why should your own enjoyment depend on what other people do and how they drive. You don't need to be the fastest guy out there to have fun

Just saying Smiley

True but if you are, the fun is even bigger. Smiley

--

mp:

Not sure why you are so sensitive to any tts performance comments? It's performance is unbelievable - anything around 11s 1/4 mile is phenomenal.  I simply have doubt over vbox results which seem to contradict traditional measurements over 1/4 mile or km. 

And that's my final answer.Smiley

Simple (final Smiley) answer: If I wouldn't want to be as fast as possible (for my living situation and financial possibilities), I could drive a normal 991 Carrera instead, which, surprise surprise, delivers fun too. Or I could ride a bicycle like one of my friends does, he claims this is more fun than driving any car (though I wouldn't mind too much what he says, he drives a VW Tiguan Smiley).

To each his own I guess but for me, part of the fun is being faster than others. I don't want to be seen in the car, I want to drive the hell out of it. Smiley

Street racing? What street racing? We have no general speed limit on the Autobahn and doing 100 kph on a country road curve can be already quite a challenge for some (other) drivers. I love to toy around with other drivers but I never street race. If someone does 160 kph on country roads...bye bye...I let him be. I always worry though a little bit that I have to scrape that guy from a tree afterwards. Luckily, this (tree), never happened but I had a guy following me a couple of years ago who hit a boardwalk and ruined his rims. There is a nice curve in our city downtown which I can barely do at 50 kph. He tried to follow...so...bad luck. Smiley
    Sorry if this sounds immature to you but I want to have fun and if others try to keep up, this is not my fault. Smiley

--

Until you meet something like F12 Berlinetta on the autobahn...

here is a new (maybe) turbo S competitor (courtesy of ferrarichat, member Maggio23). ugly like hell IMHO, makes the turbo S look elegant.56.jpg

64.jpg129.jpg317.jpg

KresoF1:

Well, luckily I haven't yet. Smiley This is why I mentioned only certain cars. On the other hand, those Ferrari drivers I met on the Autobahn are usually slowing down before every sharper Autobahn curve. There is a very tricky one on the A8 where there is a slight bump at the end and the middle rail switches to a stone rail exactly afterwards. Apparently some people already kissed the stone rail, doing this at 300 kph and higher can't be fun. Smiley

Btw: I never do Vmax on Autobahns I haven't driven on yet. Even if there is no speed limit, some parts are not suitable for Vmax and sometimes they are tricky (like the bump I mentioned, which brings a little bit of nervousness into the car, not something you want to have at Vmax and in a curve).

--

andyFE:

here is a new (maybe) turbo S competitor (courtesy of ferrarichat, member Maggio23). ugly like hell IMHO, makes the turbo S look elegant.56.jpg

64.jpg129.jpg317.jpg

The front looks weird...as if it was taken from GTA V (the game). Smiley

--

KresoF1:

don't mention the F-word here......it is very dangerous::::))))

by definition the turbo S beats them all this side of the LaFerrari, right RC?Smiley 4

andyFE:
    KresoF1:

by definition the turbo S beats them all this side of the LaFerrari, right RC?Smiley 4

Who said that? Smiley The fact that you don't seem to have much of a clue about sports cars is a different story though. Smiley

--

AFAIK Christian likes F12 a lot and is aware how fast it really is...

andyFE:

At least we agree on this one! Smiley This is seriously ugly like hell!

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

RC:
    andyFE:
    KresoF1:

Who said that? Smiley The fact that you don't seem to have much of a clue about sports cars is a different story though. Smiley

ex falso quodlibet

KresoF1:

AFAIK Christian likes F12 a lot and is aware how fast it really is...

Smiley Almost bought one...love this car.

--

andyFE:
    RC:
    andyFE:
    KresoF1:

ex falso quodlibet

Actually it is ex falso sequitur quodlibet Smiley but I guess when you have no arguments, you need to prove your intellectual skills. Then, at least, do it right. Smiley

--

RC:
    andyFE:
    RC:
    andyFE:
    KresoF1:

ex falso quodlibet

Actually it is ex falso sequitur quodlibet Smiley but I guess when you have no arguments, you need to prove your intellectual skills. Then, at least, do it right. Smiley

RC, when you google wikipedia or the likes, please read all of the page, not only excerpts. this will get your latin grammar right. anyway, this is about cars, not intellectual skills. i try to prove the latter elsewhere. 

1392579226337popcorn.gif

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

this blue thing designed by honda right ?? LOOL

kidding 

if you want to see a video of it:

http://thesupercarkids.com/leaked-this-is-the-new-mclaren-650-s/

andyFE:
    RC:
    andyFE:
    RC:
    andyFE:
    KresoF1:

ex falso quodlibet

RC, when you google wikipedia or the likes, please read all of the page, not only excerpts. this will get your latin grammar right. anyway, this is about cars, not intellectual skills. i try to prove the latter elsewhere. 

I had 7 years latin in school...so give me a break. Smiley
    If you keep trolling around, you will be gone...I warned you before.

--

This is really getting pathetic. These childish discussies are one of the reasons why i keep away from other car sites.  Sad, but Rennteam is becoming more of the same.

seven years of latin? great.....so you speak the language?::::)))))

Gdvw05:

This is really getting pathetic. These childish discussies are one of the reasons why i keep away from other car sites.  Sad, but Rennteam is becoming more of the same.

I apologize and promise to use the "adult" way in the future. Smiley

--

RC:
    Gdvw05:

Christian, you mean banning out?

artur777:
    RC:
    Gdvw05:

Christian, you mean banning out?

I mean not fooling around anymore and doing what other forums do. No moderator or administrator "explains" himself, this was my mistake from the beginning. Our house, our rules. Period.

Btw: I'm not opposed to criticism and there are members who only agree seldom with my opinion but they are still here, for many years now. We respect each other, we accept our opinions and these members usually have very good arguments for their opinions, even if they are opposed to mine. This is what a good discussion is all about. 

From now on, trolls will be taken care of. Instantly.

Btw: Only a few users have been banned (five...in the past 11 years). Four of them came back under new user names. One of them posted advertisements/spam. Two of them, we accepted under the new user name because their new posts were OK, not really that bad. Then, it started again to the worst...so they are gone again. FOUR people in over a decade, I don't think this is much. 

Btw: I communicate with other car forum admins too, especially in Germany and they delete at least 3-5 posts per day and ban at least one user every couple of months. I think we deleted one single post/thread in over a decade and because it was spam. Just for the book. We even leave the controversial posts/threads online, so people can have an opinion. This doesn't mean I like these posts/threads.

Now back to topic, enough of explaining myself. This was the last time (promise). Smiley

--

Any confirmed or rumored updates for 2015 model year?  Only one I've heard of is a new multifunction steering wheel.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752852 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430510 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868111 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801677 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM