Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed

The farmer:

I'm aiming to buy my self a GT2 RS and use it on track as much as possible. Dont even have a garage, just outdoor parking spaces and i live in the northpole. Guess I'm somewhat crazy, but what the heck, the world need my sort as well....smiley

Props to Farmer Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The farmer:
    . Guess I'm somewhat crazy, but what the heck, the world need my sort as well....smiley

No we need fewer of you diesel drivers !Smiley

Grant:
    The farmer:

I'm aiming to buy my self a GT2 RS and use it on track as much as possible. Dont even have a garage, just outdoor parking spaces and i live in the northpole. Guess I'm somewhat crazy, but what the heck, the world need my sort as well....smiley

Props to Farmer Smiley

+1 Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

crayphile:
    The farmer:
    . Guess I'm somewhat crazy, but what the heck, the world need my sort as well....smiley

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

crayphile:
    The farmer:

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

The farmer:

It's not all about the money. I'm more interested in on how the GT2 RS will be to drive on track. Especially compared to GT3 RS. Faster, of course, but I find the N/A's less nervous and somewhat more balanced. But my experience in this field is limited.

Have any of you for example been able to fully comparing the 997's and if so, what's your findings?

And yes, I'm aiming to buy my self a GT2 RS and use it on track as much as possible. Dont even have a garage, just outdoor parking spaces and i live in the northpole. Guess I'm somewhat crazy, but what the heck, the world need my sort as well....smiley

With the 997 the na versions had two advantages on the track: (i) Some people liked the sound better. (ii) Skilled drivers seem to prefer the more direct throttle/engine/power response and the more linear power delivery as it allows you to adjust oversteer/understeer more finely.

For the 991 I would assume: (i) unchanged. (ii) the turbo version will probably be slightly better compared to the past given the interaction of engine/PDK-gearbox and also as the turbo system might be a bit further refined in its latest generation.

My personal experience: if one has a fair level of talent the GT2RS is soooo much faster than a GT3RS that I could not live with being overtaken all the time.... Between these two cars there are worlds, as sad as it sounds Smiley

The farmer:

And yes, I'm aiming to buy my self a GT2 RS and use it on track as much as possible. Dont even have a garage, just outdoor parking spaces and i live in the northpole. Guess I'm somewhat crazy, but what the heck, the world need my sort as well....smiley

It is possible (if there is not too much snow for the front wing). The car can easily be driven also as a daily driver in winter. The one downside is that the salt on the streets will create quite some rust in the engine compartment (turbo chargers etc etc.). But if you keep the car for 3-4 years you can easily use it even as a daily driver Smiley It is a lot of fun. The only problem I have with the new GT2RS is this massive rear wing. Looks kind of silly when you use the car to drive to a meeting...

There is some great video of Mark Webber with his 997 GT2 RS on YouTube....

Thanks guys.

What you say, MKSGR, confirms what I heard and what I've experienced myself. Have had some track days were some guys that put cup2's on their Turbo S'es really where in my face when chasing them with my GT3. Got on their bumper during the curvy section, but then, out on the strait, they just disappeared heart Lucky for me, that car is so heavy, so they could just go for a few laps before their tires got overheatedindecision

Still, what I hear strengthen my belief that my plan going forward is solid. My plan is to have one of each i.e the GT2 RS AND a n/a of some sort and use them depending on the specific layout of the track for the day. First step will be getting the GT2 RS and have that along with my current GT3. Second step, and what I'm hoping for, is to upgrade the GT3 for a .2 GT3 RS.smiley 

The 911's will be mainly track cars but of course I aim to drive them to the tracks ( could be quit some distance, when driving from where I live to Spa for example....) but as DD's I will continue to use my environmental spuercars i.e the Panamera 4s diesel or my ML diesel.... Up here it's quit nice with a heavy fwd during most of the year and getting older I like the massage function in the Panamera in the morning rush hours traffic smiley

Speaking of driving in the winter with the GT3/RS: Where we live, me and Farmer, the problem is that you never know if a plow truck has made a rough edge that you will destroy your über expensive front of your GT3 and maybe make you hang there with the wheels in the air. 

Besides that there is the issue with salt / gravel. It is very hard on the car.

I never drive my RS at home until late in May because of all the gravel on the streets. The gravel is collected by the City but it usually takes until late May until that is done.

Kobalt:

Speaking of driving in the winter with the GT3/RS: Where we live, me and Farmer, the problem is that you never know if a plow truck has made a rough edge that you will destroy your über expensive front of your GT3 and maybe make you hang there with the wheels in the air. 

I never drive my RS at home until late in May because of all the gravel on the streets. The gravel is collected by the City but it usually takes until late May until that is done.

i drove my RS last may (!!!!) on beautiful roads in the mountains 150km south of vienna and it had snowed there a week before. they put gravel on a stretch of about 10km and even driving slowly it felt as if the car was under permanent attack from below. horrendous sound, but what the heck, it is a car man:::)))

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:

Granted, the North American 918 VIPs will all take a car...

I wonder how many garage spaces these 918 owners have?

I always have this discussion with my car friends.  Buying more cars is never a problem, but the limited number of garage spaces at our house is.  I do not prefer to park my cars elsewhere as I want to see them and use them whenever I feel like it.

Having said this, if my chance of buying a .2GT3 comes up, I will steal one of my Mom's garage to park my RS.Smiley

The owner of a car parts business builds a new house next to mine. A gigantic house (for German standards). He showed me the plans because he had to ask my "permission" as new neighbor (I cannot really stop the construction but I could create problems and delay it if I wanted to...typical German laws). 

I looked over the construction plans with my best friend, who is an architect and we both noticed the very small garage for such a big house. Only two cars would fit and only small ones, pretty weird...especially considering that this guy sells car parts.

So when that guy came over to pick up his construction plans, I asked him why the garage is so small. His answer: He has a car collection and owns a small warehouse outside the city where he keeps his cars. Smiley Smiley

Wealthy car collectors don't seem to keep their cars at home anymore. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

pmarkow:
     horrendous sound, but what the heck, it is a car man:::)))

I agree with you but I feel sick when I hear those stones hit the car so it takes away the fun in driving.

I don't mind battle scars from the track, but I hate unnecessary wounds like "Old man opens his cars door into the side of my car" or "women carrying too much cheap ferry bear on the car deck, hitting multiple cars while saving 5€"

pmarkow:
    Kobalt:

i drove my RS last may (!!!!) on beautiful roads in the mountains 150km south of vienna and it had snowed there a week before. they put gravel on a stretch of about 10km and even driving slowly it felt as if the car was under permanent attack from below. horrendous sound, but what the heck, it is a car man:::)))

One reason my Audi dealer puts a protection wrap on every R8 they sell. For free. I actually asked them to remove it but my sales guy convinced me to keep it. He was right...the wrap is worth gold. I already had a couple of "hits" in the front and just recently experienced that smashed windshield when a large stone hit the front hood and then the windshield. Thanks to the protective wrap, I have no dent or damage but the wrap has a large "scratch". Smiley It is a pretty thick wrap, thanks god.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Unfortunately the GT3 RS turned out to be a one-dimensional car, that is a car only good for track and spirited mountain road driving. I put a winter wheel set on it and covered 4000km from Nov to Feb on the best roads in Europe. There are those moments when everything is perfect and you can push the car and it is sublime. But everything in between is unnecessary discomfort. It is not good for city driving and it is very tiring for highway driving. And it doesn't feel particularly powerful. 

I wouldn't recommend the RS to anyone who will not use it mainly on track.

RC:

One reason my Audi dealer puts a protection wrap on every R8 they sell. For free. I actually asked them to remove it but my sales guy convinced me to keep it. He was right...the wrap is worth gold. I already had a couple of "hits" in the front and just recently experienced that smashed windshield when a large stone hit the front hood and then the windshield. Thanks to the protective wrap, I have no dent or damage but the wrap has a large "scratch". Smiley It is a pretty thick wrap, thanks god.

I don't touch my new cars until they get fully wrapped. The problem with RS is that there's almost no sound insulation so you can hear every stone picked up by the huge tires and hitting the bottom and you feel like you are damaging your precious car...And you start loving your Turbo S more and more feeling that it is the best engineered 991 :)

Herbaliser:

It is OK to do track tranfers in, IMHO.

But I think we all have our own preference for a car as daily driver. So much depend on the quality of the roads, climate etc:

Comparing the tarmac in Eifel mountains (smooth and silent) to the tarmac in Sweden (VERY rough and loud) is like pleasure and pain.

Herbaliser:

Unfortunately the GT3 RS turned out to be a one-dimensional car, that is a car only good for track and spirited mountain road driving. I put a winter wheel set on it and covered 4000km from Nov to Feb on the best roads in Europe. There are those moments when everything is perfect and you can push the car and it is sublime. But everything in between is unnecessary discomfort. It is not good for city driving and it is very tiring for highway driving. And it doesn't feel particularly powerful. 

The GT3 RS is an excellent track car and excellent weekend fun car for curvy country roads and/or mountain roads.

As a daily driver or even Autobahn car, it is definitely the wrong choice. 

Track only? I don't think so. I drove a GT3 RS from Zuffenhausen to Munich and it was quite fun, even on the Autobahn but it shows it's real forte on curvy roads at lower speeds.

Autobahn performance was actually the main reason I didn't get one. I didn't want to be overtaken by a station wagon (RS6, AMG E class, etc.). Smiley

--

Herbaliser:

i find it very comfy actually, in the city and on the highway. i did 1000km in one day and got out fine, neither deaf nor numb. and i do not consider myself very tough......i did the same in my M5 a few years back and it wasn't any more comfortable. softer yes, but not more comfy all in all. the only issue that annoys me on long trips is getting in and out bags from the rear when stopping, due to the non-reclining seats. probably should have gotten the folding buckets.

RC:
    Herbaliser:

The GT3 RS is an excellent track car and excellent weekend fun car for curvy country roads and/or mountain roads.

true

Track only? I don't think so. I drove a GT3 RS from Zuffenhausen to Munich and it was quite fun, even on the Autobahn but it shows it's real forte on curvy roads at lower speeds.

true

Autobahn performance was actually the main reason I didn't get one. I didn't want to be overtaken by a station wagon (RS6, AMG E class, etc.). Smiley

couldn't care less, can't go fast on my highways anyway. in austria i have so far paid fines on every longer trip i took.

I'm quite happy to drive my GT3 around Switzerland for general purpose stuff, but the roads here are very good quality and very smooth. I was driving in the UK last weekend and good God the roads are bad there now. Unbelievable. I would think twice about using a GT3 in the same way if I lived there.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

I'm quite happy to drive my GT3 around Switzerland for general purpose stuff, but the roads here are very good quality and very smooth. I was driving in the UK last weekend and good God the roads are bad there now. Unbelievable. I would think twice about using a GT3 in the same way if I lived there.

agreed on the UK roads but the subjective feeling improves only very little when you drive them in an allegedly 'comfy' car. they are bad no matter what.

DaveGordon:

Unless you face  a Tank on the road, no kidding, I was driving in a country road and Bang, a Tank just turn from nowhere on the road. 

Hehe, yes, I've come across the odd tank. Usually around Elm where the have some kind of tank depot or something. I was driving a hired Jeep and my mum's Kia in the UK. Still bad even in those!

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Just for track, a real track car like the club sport makes more sense...

SciFrog:

Just for track, a real track car like the club sport makes more sense...

Smiley Or people could highly modify their GT3 RS but not worth it in my opinion. For the average track Joe Smiley, the GT3 RS is more than enough.

--

991.2 GT2 RS and GT3 RS will get two new special colors and two new alcantara interior colors - green and red!

--

AM

So there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS? Great!

Kobalt:

So there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS? Great!

If there is a plan for .2GT3RS,it gives Porsche leaway to power the .2 GT3 to 500hp if not more.kiss

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Of course there will be a GT3 RS! That's been in the plan for a long time... Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM