Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New family SUV orderd...

Whoopsy:

She might change her mind once she sat and ride in one.

My wife told me she would NEVER EVER be seen in a minivan. Now she drives it daily for school runs.

There are two things my wife hates (and no, she never will change...I know her pretty well): Minivans and station wagons. She also hates roof boxes (this is why our ski vacation trips aren't fun in her X3).

I showed her the G class last Sunday and you should have seen her face. She basically told me that I can shove this thing up my... Smiley Even when I told her that the G class, probably next to the Range Rover, is the housewife car in Beverly Hills (sorry, couldn't come up with a better analogy), she couldn't care less. All she said over and over again: "This thing is so ugly". Case closed. Smiley

Then, she saw the Grand Cherokee SRT8 and...surprise, surprise...she like it. I wouldn't lie if I'd say I don't like it but even if the price tag would be interesting (dealer is willing to go down with the price), the all season tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde) have crappy test results (close to catastrophic, especially on snow but even in the dry), so I would need a set of winter wheels for around 3-4k EUR. Then, I would need a used car warranty (additional) for 1k EUR per year (car is not from Europe and has no european warranty). Also the whole story around the car sounds a bit fishy (car imported from Canada to Switzerland and then to Germany...), especially for a car with such low mileage (2012 model though with 5-speed automatic). I know the dealer privately and I know I can trust him but I wonder if the person who sold him the car didn't... Smiley Overall, still too expensive for what it offers, I would probably get it for 40k EUR but I guess this won't happen.

Still torn between the G55 and the G63 but if my wife hates them, this is not something I want to do. I could end up with a car she doesn't want to be seen in, meaning that it would be disaster.

Still interesting (somehow): That 2011 Cayenne Turbo I told you about. Low mileage (well, sort of), new price tag around 154k, car goes for half the money. Fully loaded. I still have the winter wheels from my Cayenne GTS and they would fit perfectly. Kind of tempting, especially since I'm a Porsche guy but considering the fact that the Cayenne facelift is due soon (July?), I'm still not sure. This Cayenne Turbo would surely keep it's value (somehow), it lost already so much, so I am sure I could sell it for at least 40k or so after three years but I still don't know. Smiley

In the end, I think we are going to stick with my wife's X3 for the remaining lease period. It just doesn't make sense to get another SUV just to sit around in the garage (which would be another problem because we have only four spots in the garage and they are already taken).

Decisions... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

There are many reasons of why people need a G-Class

BjoernB:

There are many reasons of why people need a G-Class

I rather see myself and my wife more like this... Smiley (actually, to be honest, I consider the Kardashian women, all of them, pretty ordinary and I won't use a more descriptive term, so I don't understand all the fuss about their looks or them being sexy...they aren't).

1392200854646article-2344049-1A661168000005DC-972_634x477.jpg

Right now, I lean towards a used Cayenne Turbo. Found a very interesting (fully loaded, low mileage, interesting price tag) car and the decision will be taken soon.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Your itch! It's terrible!!! :-)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Your itch! It's terrible!!! :-)

Actually this time, it is not the itch. The itch wants the G63 or the SRT8 but the brain says Cayenne Turbo all the way.

Since we just decided not to replace the Mini in our garage (my mother doesn't want to drive anymore), a free garage spot opened up, so we can add a fourth car. 

We could discuss all day long if another SUV makes sense but we need a bigger car for a couple of trips per year and my wife's X3 really isn't fun. She doesn't want something bigger (the X3 is a great city SUV, not too big) and if she replaces the X3, it would be a Macan and not a Cayenne, so we would have a similar problem again.

Also, I really got a good offer for a Cayenne Turbo, half the money it costed new with little mileage and FULLY loaded (Burmester, PDCC, PTV, heating system, bla bla bla, the whole shebang) and this opportunity won't come again, most similar cars are priced 20k EUR and more higher. Still checking on the car if it didn't have any damages or unexpected repair shop time, so my decision isn't final yet but it sounds like a good deal. 

Another advantage of the Cayenne: I still have the winter wheels from my Cayenne GTS and the snow chains, it would save me at least another 4k EUR (vs if I'd go for the G63 or SRT8). I know that the facelift is coming but this doesn't really bother me. The interior won't be changed (much) and the tail lights are OK for me.

Still in the brainstorming process, no final decision has been made. I expected more information about this car this morning but so far, I'm still waiting for my information email to know if this car is OK or not. It is weird that someone would sell it that "cheap", so I have to be sure.

--

I look forward to the pictures.... 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I look forward to the pictures.... 

Smiley Smiley

To early I'm afraid. Stil not 100% sure I should do it.

--

You ARE a Porsche guy, so also only 98 % will suffice...Smiley

d997h:

You ARE a Porsche guy, so also only 98 % will suffice...Smiley

Smiley Indeed but I want to buy this car and this is really a decision which needs to be made carefully.

On the other hand, I could use this car after a couple of years for the initial payment for a lease, even after 4-5 years, a Cayenne Turbo would still be at least 30k EUR worth. Not much money to loose here but I'm still not 98% Smiley sure about it. I really wanted that SRT8 and I would have bought it for 40k EUR but not for the (asked) 50k because of the additional need of winter wheels and snow chains, adding another 5k EUR or so to the cost. Now we are talking 75k, quite a lot, still not sure.

--

Smiley.... yes, yes, I understand, the winter tires and the snow chains.... Smiley

d997h:

Smiley.... yes, yes, I understand, the winter tires and the snow chains.... Smiley

Smiley Seriously...in this case, I really have to make a decision based on what makes sense and less on feelings. Unfortunately. As much as I am a Porsche guy, the SRT8 has some sort of appeal I cannot explain (not for this kind of money though, I would have spent 40k at max for that used car). The G63 is a different story, I really want that car (very special off-roader) but my wife hates it, so it just doesn't make sense to ignore her feelings completely. Also, I'm afraid I could get bored with it since the handling isn't really a highlight of the car.

Now the Cayenne Turbo comes into play but only this particular car because otherwise, the cars out there are still too expensive in my opinion. I would have loved a used Turbo S but prices are just insane (starting at 120k EUR).

If I cannot get that particular Cayenne Turbo, I may reconsider a new 2014 SRT8 (60k with winter wheels) but to be honest, for this kind of money, it would make sense to add a couple of bucks and get a Cayenne instead.

Decisions... Smiley

--

As the British say: The Germans tend to over-engineer everything...perhaps, you should not over-engineer your decision-making process...

d997h:

As the British say: The Germans tend to over-engineer everything...perhaps, you should not over-engineer your decision-making process...

I have to and it is a good thing. I came from a G55 to a SRT8 and then to a G63 and now a Cayenne Turbo. Better to be safe than sorry, not even sure I will get one in the end (still having my doubts).

--

RC,

I would not change my mind on a G 55 or G 63, although I understand that your wife might have an issue with the design. In the long run though, the G wagon is a 4x4 that you can keep for ever, it is quite fast, classic design that will never be out of date, very good on and off road, on ice and snow, very good boot size for a family! Its a vehicle you won't need to change in the foreseeable future, especially the G 63.

I ve read most of the reports on both G 63 and G 55, but I am still unsure if the driving position and dynamics are good, so I am trying to organise a test drive in Germany next week. A friend that owned one told the steering feel is weird, very direct, and dynamics not so good. Dealer in the region I am visiting has a brand new G63, not registered, so still searching... Of course, the fact that you were thinking of buying one, is one more reason that I believe this is the car I am looking for!

At this moment in time I would not go for a Cayenne Turbo, since the facelift is around the corner, I would feel 'bad' owning an 'old' model. Re think twice and three times before taking this decision, cheaper Cayenne or SRT, or more expensive long term timeless keeper G63/55.

--

Nikolas - 01 996 Turbo, 06 997 Turbo, 07 AM V8

N11KOY:

RC,

I would not change my mind on a G 55 or G 63, although I understand that your wife might have an issue with the design. In the long run though, the G wagon is a 4x4 that you can keep for ever, it is quite fast, classic design that will never be out of date, very good on and off road, on ice and snow, very good boot size for a family! Its a vehicle you won't need to change in the foreseeable future, especially the G 63.

I ve read most of the reports on both G 63 and G 55, but I am still unsure if the driving position and dynamics are good, so I am trying to organise a test drive in Germany next week. A friend that owned one told the steering feel is weird, very direct, and dynamics not so good. Dealer in the region I am visiting has a brand new G63, not registered, so still searching... Of course, the fact that you were thinking of buying one, is one more reason that I believe this is the car I am looking for!

At this moment in time I would not go for a Cayenne Turbo, since the facelift is around the corner, I would feel 'bad' owning an 'old' model. Re think twice and three times before taking this decision, cheaper Cayenne or SRT, or more expensive long term timeless keeper G63/55.

A slightly used low mileage G63 (dealer car, new car warranty) is 130k EUR.

The Cayenne Turbo I mentioned is 75k EUR, new price tag was 154k EUR. 

Huge difference.

I agree, the G63 (or even the G55 for that matter) are timeless but the handling is really not Cayenne-like (not even by a longshot) and my wife hates this car, which also means that she will never drive it or worse (she could refuse driving in it, which would make the whole buy pointless since it is supposed to serve as a family car for longer trips with lots of luggage).

The Cayenne facelift wouldn't bother me since I already know Smiley how it is going to look alike. Yes, I like it a lot but not enough to pay 154k EUR for such a car which serves only a very limited purpose (longer family trips or maybe when we have lots of snow).

So I'm afraid the G63 (or G55) are out of the question and the SRT8 just isn't worth it, unless I can get a lower price (right now, I get it for 60k with winter wheels, which isn't bad for a new car over here).

I may actually decide not to do this at all because it actually isn't worth it. I just hate driving that X3 so much... Smiley

--

You're going to end up going for it anyways. Then somehow you'll complain about how the Turbo doesn't feel as snappy as the GTS used to feel. Then you'll diagnose the problem as a lack of power or whatever, and end up justifying getting a Turbo S when the new one comes out. We know this is how it's going to happen, you know this is how it's going to happen. So lets just enjoy the set of pictures you'll be posting in the near future and hope you are happy when your new Turbo S arrives smiley

Sorry for delay guys - I was the last 10 days in India, just returned home.

I promise to make some pictures.

Car runs well. Has now 1500km on it, made some 0-100km/h launches and they are all around 4.4 seconds (once it even showed 4.2 - but have to admit it was a bit downhill). Cars has a great wumms. Once on the Autobahn I had 260km/h on it - stil felt relaxed and it goes really quickly forward even on high speeds. 

Just to make sure - it must be the 2014 car RC - only the 2014 has the 8-gear ZF, the one before one still has a 5 gear box - hell of a difference to drive. Also - the predecessor was stiff like a race car, this one is in "Auto" setting firm but not stiff and changes to stiff once you put it in track mode.

Test drive it and see if you like it. If you want you are always welcome to visit us! :)

Lars997:

Sorry for delay guys - I was the last 10 days in India, just returned home.

I promise to make some pictures.

Car runs well. Has now 1500km on it, made some 0-100km/h launches and they are all around 4.4 seconds (once it even showed 4.2 - but have to admit it was a bit downhill). Cars has a great wumms. Once on the Autobahn I had 260km/h on it - stil felt relaxed and it goes really quickly forward even on high speeds. 

Just to make sure - it must be the 2014 car RC - only the 2014 has the 8-gear ZF, the one before one still has a 5 gear box - hell of a difference to drive. Also - the predecessor was stiff like a race car, this one is in "Auto" setting firm but not stiff and changes to stiff once you put it in track mode.

Test drive it and see if you like it. If you want you are always welcome to visit us! :)

Thanks, Lars...good to know. Smiley

Still not sure what to do but the used 2012 car I had in mind isn't interesting enough, price is too high (50k), especially since I need winter wheels and snow chains too. The new 2014 model is 60k (grey import but highly respected dealer) but the (slightly) used but fully loaded (Burmester, PDCC, PTV, heating system, etc.) Cayenne Turbo is only 15k more, difficult decision.

Are you sure about the 0-100 kph time? I did three tries in a 2014 car and they were between 5.1 and 5.3 seconds. I used the build in timer for the 0-100 kph runs. Some videos on the internet indicate times between 5.4 and 5.6 seconds.

--

Enmanuel:

You're going to end up going for it anyways. Then somehow you'll complain about how the Turbo doesn't feel as snappy as the GTS used to feel. Then you'll diagnose the problem as a lack of power or whatever, and end up justifying getting a Turbo S when the new one comes out. We know this is how it's going to happen, you know this is how it's going to happen. So lets just enjoy the set of pictures you'll be posting in the near future and hope you are happy when your new Turbo S arrives smiley

Smiley For my main fun car, this could be right but not for the "fourth" set of wheels. Smiley

I cannot exclude that I am going for a Cayenne Turbo S when the next Cayenne generation shows up but right now, this car is out of my price league for a fourth car. Smiley The G63 for the same money would have been a different story, this is a car you can really drive 5-10 years without the feel of driving something old or outdated but the Cayenne is a different story. The facelift already adds a bit more style to the Cayenne and the next generation will be already a step further (styling-wise), so the 958 will look outdated I'm afraid. Just compare the 955/957 with the 958 and you get my point.

Still not convinced I should do it, I drove in my wife's X3 over 700 km last ski vacation and I'm still alive. Smiley So maybe I can do it again. Our luggage requirements will be different this time though, so it could be a problem. My wife carries at least ten different pairs of shoes with her, not even talking about the ten pairs of skirts and pants...for a five day ski vacation. Smiley She says she is a woman and women need that much to change but sometimes I feel as if I am moving an entire fashion shop in my car. Smiley

I guess I am going to end up in a X3 again... Smiley

--

You're wife is right RC.... (As all you guys know, women are always right indecision)  We need to change clothes and shoes at least once a day and we can't wear clothes two times a week! That's simply not done.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

You're wife is right RC.... (As all you guys know, women are always right indecision)  We need to change clothes and shoes at least once a day and we can't wear clothes two times a week! That's simply not done.

My wife is not really a help with my decision I'm afraid.

When I suggested to get the Boxster S instead of the Cayenne (because she bugged me all the time why she doesn't have a Cab and how much she loved her Boxster), she was very indifferent and couldn't care less (I know this behavior, if she doesn't like something, she clearly says no Smiley). So I got the Boxster S, she yelled at me why I gave away the Cayenne but I was right, whenever she is alone and without the kids, she drives the Boxster S. Smiley

When I suggested to get another SUV for our longer trips with a lot of luggage, she looked at me and I actually expected a clear no from her. She smiled and asked: Which one? Smiley She really likes the SRT8 a lot (US "muscle" SUV), also because this car is not very common and not really flashy. She hates the G class and she couldn't care less about the Cayenne Turbo ("if you like it..."). So if it was her to choose, she would probably choose the SRT8.

From a financial point of view, considering that I would need another SUV, only the used Cayenne Turbo makes really sense. This car will still be worth 30-40k EUR after three years, the SRT8 probably looses half the value the day I register it and after three years, the value will be probably around 20k EUR or so. Unless I find an enthusiast who really wants this car. The SRT8 would be a new car though and the Cayenne would be used, so another tough decision here.

Now I stop before I get you bored. Smiley

--

RC:
    The SRT8 would be a new car though and the Cayenne would be used, so another tough decision here.

why not a used SRT8?

I like the square design.

RC:

Are you sure about the 0-100 kph time? I did three tries in a 2014 car and they were between 5.1 and 5.3 seconds. I used the build in timer for the 0-100 kph runs. Some videos on the internet indicate times between 5.4 and 5.6 seconds.

Yep - The first couple of times I always been in the 4.8 to 5.0 times. After some days I tried again (fully flat road) and I got the better marks. In the US forum you can see guys pitching up to 3.8 - which obviously can only be on a steep downhill.

Did you test ride a 2014 with the 8 gear ZF box?

Yes, I testdove a 2014 SRT8 and I really liked it. The best time was 5.1 in the display, this is why I was wondering.

Today I received a special offer through one of my Porsche sources for a lease return of a Cayenne Turbo S (fully loaded). The guy apparently doesn't want a SUV anymore, car has only 11k km and even has PCCB. Price is interesting but I would need a set of winter wheels (the 19'' winter wheels from my Cayenne GTS won't fit because of PCCB).
    The Cayenne Turbo I was eyeing before (the one with 30k km and half the new car price) is gone, I waited too long (did one of you guys snatch it from me?  sad yes) with my decision.

I will have more details Monday evening but I'm keeping my options wide open since the SRT8 is still very appealing and I found a new dealer close by who made a good offer for a new GERMAN car (with full factory warranty, etc.).

The Cayenne Turbo S would be an interesting opportunity but although the price (taking over the lease) is interesting, I'm not so sure about it. In the end, I would be left without any car after 29 months. On the other hand, buying the SRT8 would be an issue too since this car wouldn't keep it's value.

Decisions...

--

RC - the SRT is a lease not a buyers car I would say. It hast just not enough fans to be good in re-sale, I would fear it. Further on as mine is a private car I need a lease to keep the Tax inside, otherwise you block even the abroad market. 

And - as good as I know you - a Cayenne Turbo S will turn you on.... a lot smiley

sfo:
    RC:
    The SRT8 would be a new car though and the Cayenne would be used, so another tough decision here.

why not a used SRT8?

I like the square design.

A dealer I know well had one (2012 model, grey import) but he asked too much for the car (first 55k, then 50k EUR). For 40k EUR, I would have taken it instantly. I need winter wheels, snow chains and the car didn't have the new 8-speed automatic and other goodies like the improved entertainment system with a huge display. Overall, the 2014 car felt amazing and the entertainment system also is impressive (if it works properly), so it didn't make sense going for the 2012 car, unless the dealer would have gone with a special price. A new 2014 SRT8 (grey import) is 60k EUR incl. a set of winter wheels, a new 2014 SRT8 (German official version) is 78k EUR incl. a set of winter wheels and snow chains. The difference to the 50k for the 2012 car just wasn't big enough. I am pretty sure that dealer will never sell the 2012 model for more than 45k EUR but it was his decision and he has to live with it (so do I).

--

Lars997:

RC - the SRT is a lease not a buyers car I would say. It hast just not enough fans to be good in re-sale, I would fear it. Further on as mine is a private car I need a lease to keep the Tax inside, otherwise you block even the abroad market. 

And - as good as I know you - a Cayenne Turbo S will turn you on.... a lot smiley

Why should I lie, the offer is very tempting, especially since I actually wanted to get exactly this car (options are similar) when I made the decision for the Panamera Turbo S.

On the other hand, the Cayenne facelift is coming this July...but I need a car now (three family trips until July, actually thought it would be only one, so the X3 would really suck).

You know what, Lars? I think in the end, I will end up in the X3 again. Kind of have a feeling... Smiley

--

hehe... just sit it out and wait if you can. Get an intermediate car until the Cayenne facelift is out. If you need a car, get a rental from Sixt on a Monthly base.... hardly more expensive then leasing it anyway.

If the Cayenne would have been a facelift we would have considered but this was a dead point of us. Having a car 5 months before introduction of a new one and driving then 30 months with an old model.... not appealing.

I have G63. My wife drives it. She loves it. Its our third G-car. Two others were G55s of different generations. I loved the first G55. The second one and G63 are too stiff for my liking. The other things I do not like is steering. I think its unresponsive especially in straight driving. Almost feels as if it has a bit of steering play (luft in german). One further thing which upsets me is lack of space in the front section of the car to put anything - mobile phone, garage opener etc. Otherwise its a very fast and powerful iconic car. As mentioned before my wife loves it.

So for me its Cayenne Turbo S after the facelift...

rubaga:

I have G63. My wife drives it. She loves it. Its our third G-car. Two others were G55s of different generations. I loved the first G55. The second one and G63 are too stiff for my liking. The other things I do not like is steering. I think its unresponsive especially in straight driving. Almost feels as if it has a bit of steering play (luft in german). One further thing which upsets me is lack of space in the front section of the car to put anything - mobile phone, garage opener etc. Otherwise its a very fast and powerful iconic car. As mentioned before my wife loves it.

So for me its Cayenne Turbo S after the facelift...

@rubaga: The G63 is out of the picture. My wife hates it ("it looks like a car from 50 years ago...") and I cannot get a family SUV she hates because at some point, she has to drive it. Same goes for the G55 which in my opinion was a good offer.

@Lars: I don't care too much about the Cayenne facelift, the difference is mainly in the rear and the car will still keep it's original shape and more important, the interior. Yes, it would be the latest model, I agree but I really don't care too much about it. I drove a 955 Turbo S for three years, even when the 957 was out and I couldn't care less (although the difference between the 955/957 is huge and I would always want the 958 now).

I also agree, buying a car isn't worth it (it would be a private buy, so I'd "loose" the VAT), the lease makes sense but it is a lot of money for a car I would probably drive as often as my 991 Turbo S. Smiley

Still considering my options but right now, the new 2014 SRT8 as a lease sounds very appealing to me. Great performance, stealth car and pretty cheap (compared to the Cayenne Turbo/S).

Btw: The SRT8 dealer also offers a 7.1 HEMI tuning for the SRT8, no turbo charger or supercharger, classic tuning and car delivers 557 hp. Unfortunately this also makes it almost 30k EUR more expensive and it takes 6 weeks to do the job. Have to see how much the lease would be with the tuning but I guess it isn't worth it. Still... a tuned US SUV sounds very appealing, it would be something completely new for me. Smiley Car would retain full warranty btw., dealer makes sure of it.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM