Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

GM Austin:

Remember, this isn't my first kid RC.    I think there will be plenty of room for a baby, not a problem.  It's not like we're moving to a Mini Cooper or something.  

People tend to forget certain (unpleasant) things. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bluelines:
    SuzyF:

All affected launch cars have been changed by removing the unavailable option or changing the unavailable color (interior or exterior) to black.
    ...You may edit these launch Macan orders until close of business Wednesday, Feb 5th.

Is it already 1st of April? Smiley

It was a post from a salesman at Capital Porsche in Tallahassee, Florida.... He got that memo, so I guess the info is accurate. It only applies to the launch vehicles. Second batch of cars is not affected.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

on my car the "Roof Rails - 3S5" got chanceled but the "side window trims in high gloss black - QJ4" are still available and on my order. Btw. its a launch car.

hunterone:

on my car the "Roof Rails - 3S5" got chanceled but the "side window trims in high gloss black - QJ4" are still available and on my order. Btw. its a launch car.

It depends where you live and how early the order went through but brace yourself for a possible surprise (when sh.t happens, it happens). At my (German) dealer, no side window trim in high gloss black went through. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

just heard from dealer that mine will be completed on 5/30/14 and all options i ordered will be available including roof rails and the red/black interior, with delivery 4-6 weeks later. 

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

First driving review's in courtesy of Autocar. They gave the Macan Turbo four out of five stars and have called it the most engaging SUV they've ever driven. I like the analogy of "high-riding Cayman" instead of "junior Cayenne."

Looks like we have a winner. Some great photos on the link below.

rulesdontapply

Porsche Macan Turbo first drive review

New Macan is more high-riding Cayman than junior Cayenne - in fact it's the most fluid and engaging SUV we've ever driven; but it doesn't come cheap...

The Porsche Macan, a smaller sibling to the Cayenne, aims to carve out a more lucrative slice of the market for itself when sales begin in April. It’s driven here in range-topping Turbo form.

First impressions on first viewing the Macan are of its relatively moderate size. The dimensions vary slightly between models, but the Turbo tested here is 4699mm long, 1923mm wide and 1624mm high. That makes it 146mm shorter, 17mm narrower and 76mm lower than the second-generation Cayenne.

Whereas the Cayenne shares its underpinnings with the Volkswagen Touareg, the Macan is based around a modified version of the high-strength steel platform that underpins the Audi Q5. The two share a 2807mm wheelbase – 88mm shorter than the Cayenne’s – but they have little else in common.

The Macan receives its own mechanical hardware, consisting of specially tuned or unique engines, new gearboxes and a revised version of the Cayenne’s multi-plate-clutch four-wheel drive system. The Macan’s MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension is also described as unique, with track widths that are up by 35mm at the front and 36mm at the rear over the Q5’s.

The Macan’s bold styling takes a number of cues from the second-generation Cayenne, including a rather bluff front end that varies in look depending on engine. A large clamshell-style bonnet aids engine bay cooling and features oval-shaped cut-outs for the headlights, plus sides that run all the way down to the front bumpers.

Predictably, the interior has an upmarket feel. The look again draws heavily on the Cayenne, but subtle changes help set the Macan apart, including a multi-function steering wheel similar to the 918 Spyder’s. The rest is familiar, with a three-dial binnacle, touchscreen multimedia system and a high-set middle console housing a sea of switches. It looks cluttered, but the ergonomics are excellent.

The early Macan line-up will offer the choice of three V6 engines. Included is a Porsche-developed twin-turbo 3.0-litre petrol unit delivering 335bhp and 339lb ft in the Macan S and an Audi-sourced 3.0-litre turbodiesel with 254bhp and 427lb ft in the Macan Diesel S.

This Turbo is powered by a twin-turbocharged 3.6-litre petrol engine that is described as being all new, although a naturally aspirated version of the same unit has appeared in the Panamera. Here, it produces 394bhp at 6000rpm and 405lb ft from 1350rpm. 

What is it like?

Pleasingly smooth, with an engine that pulls well from the front, is potent through the mid-range and accepting of high gears at low speeds.

There’s some low-end lag, but the new V6 is terrifically energetic on boost. With a short-stroke design, the engine also revs with great conviction for a forced-induction unit, rushing up to 6700rpm without feeling remotely breathless before hitting the limiter.

It is just a pity that the new V6 sounds so characterless no matter which driving mode – Standard, Sport or Sport Plus – is chosen. There is an entertaining burble to the exhaust, but it is more often than not drowned out by excessive induction blare. You wouldn’t call it bland, but the noise is rather insipid.

The engine impresses, but it’s the standard seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox that really shows its class. It is fast, smooth and intuitive and has the ability to perfectly match revs on downshifts. The four-wheel drive system directs torque to the rear wheels and, when the conditions call for it, to the fronts, giving the Macan a distinctly rear-drive bias. 

Despite a kerb weight of 1925kg, the Macan Turbo driven here can hit 62mph from rest in a claimed 4.6sec and 100mph in 10.9sec. Porsche doesn’t limit the top speed of its production models, and the same is true of this SUV, which is claimed to reach 165mph. Even so, this most powerful of Macans is also relatively economical. Official figures claim 31.7mpg combined. Driven briskly over a mix of urban streets, autobahns and country roads, we returned an indicated 25.8mpg. 

The defining aspect of the Macan Turbo, however, is its handling. If there is a more fluid and engaging SUV, I’ve yet to drive it. Sitting on firm yet forgiving steel-sprung suspension, this SUV delivers an unusually high level of interaction and exceptional dynamic qualities.

You can fling the Macan Turbo down a back road at a decent clip and it responds beautifully, offering generous feel and a good deal of feedback through wonderfully weighted and engaging electro-mechanical steering. The overall agility and poise is outstanding for a car of this weight.

Away from winding roads, the Macan possesses terrific high-speed stability all the way up to its claimed top speed. 

The Macan Turbo’s on-road excellence goes a long way towards redefining class standards, and the ‘sports utility vehicle’ tag was never applied as fittingly as it is here. It is not so much a junior Cayenne as a high-riding Cayman in sheer handling proficiency.

The brakes are no less remarkable. There is a firm but progressive feel to the pedal, allowing you to confidently tip in the stoppers all the way to the point where the anti-lock begins to cycle. Not that the Macan Turbo is exclusively sporting. 

It is unlikely that many Macan buyers will venture far off-road, if at all, but a brief run in deep snow revealed that it is quite useful away from the asphalt. An off-road button allows you to alter the threshold of the traction and stability control systems as well as the four-wheel drive and optional torque-vectoring systems.

Porsche claims approach and departure angles of 24.8deg and 23.6deg respectively for the Turbo, while nominal ground clearance is put at 198mm and ramp angle is 17.1deg. The optional air suspension extends each of these values.

Should I buy one?

If you fancy a sporty SUV which can handle the occassional trip off-road, then absolutely.

Despite the odd flaw, it is hard not to get wrapped up in the overall brilliance of the new Macan Turbo. Granted, it is no bargain, but when an SUV is this good, it’s easy to believe that it will succeed. If the Macan Diesel and Diesel S are anywhere near as engaging, it won’t be long before the Cayenne is supplanted as the fastest-selling Porsche of all time.

Porsche Macan Turbo (Sport Chrono) 

Price £59,300; 0-62mph 4.6sec; Top speed 165mph; Economy31.7mpg (combined); CO2 208g/km; Kerb weight 1925kg; Engine type V6, 3604cc, turbocharged, petrol; Installation Front, longitudinal, 4WD;Power 394bhp at 6000rpm; Torque 405lb ft at 1350rpm; Gearbox 7-spd dual clutch automatic

Source:  http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/macan/first-drives/porsche-macan-turbo-first-drive-review

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s150DJqSQSQ

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

I don't think I'll ever use launch control on my car...

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I don't think I'll ever use launch control on my car...

I have launch control on my 991 Turbo S and I only used it once to check how it works and then never again. Pretty pointless on public roads, indeed.

--

rulesdontapply:

First impressions on first viewing the Macan are of its relatively moderate size. The dimensions vary slightly between models, but the Turbo tested here is 4699mm long, 1923mm wide and 1624mm high. That makes it 146mm shorter, 17mm narrower and 76mm lower than the second-generation Cayenne.

Have seen the first Macan on the street yesterday. Was a white Turbo and I first mistook it with the Cayenne from the front. It does look a bit like its bigger brother, but with a different (lower) stance. Rear end looks very nice in reality although the angled rear window and generally low height of the car make it appear less spacious than the Q5, Touareg or Cayenne. That does not have to be a bad thing though, especially for people who are primarily driving alone or with one passenger. What surprised me most was the low roofline, it was on the height of my chest whereas the Cayenne or Touareg are considerably higher. Interior looks pretty much like any other Porsche model outside the sportscar line, no big surprises there.

All in all, a very nice car... Smiley

kiss

Ferdie:
    rulesdontapply:

Have seen the first Macan on the street yesterday. Was a white Turbo and I first mistook it with the Cayenne from the front. It does look a bit like its bigger brother, but with a different (lower) stance. Rear end looks very nice in reality although the angled rear window and generally low height of the car make it appear less spacious than the Q5, Touareg or Cayenne. That does not have to be a bad thing though, especially for people who are primarily driving alone or with one passenger. What surprised me most was the low roofline, it was on the height of my chest whereas the Cayenne or Touareg are considerably higher. Interior looks pretty much like any other Porsche model outside the sportscar line, no big surprises there.

All in all, a very nice car... Smiley

I too have just seen the Macan in the sheet metal recently at the Chicago Auto Show.  From the front view, it does look much like the larger Cayenne and it is not too different until the back is in view.  

Given the interest is was given, I'm positive that local sales, like much of the RoW, will be very strong.  However, if I were in a market for an SUV, the Range Rover Sport would be my choice.  

RC:

I decided not to exchange my Cayenne GTS with a Macan Turbo next year, when the Macan shows up at dealers.

The reason is pretty simple: Only a few Macan Turbo will make it to dealers next year and since demand is high, the lease offers are crappy (to say at least). To give you an example comparison: I could lease a brand-new 991 Carrera Cab (value around 128k EUR) for less money than a Macan Turbo (value around 98k EUR). Just not worth it.

If you don't want (or need) a Macan in 2014, it may be a good idea to wait a year or two and then, the lease offers (and rebates) will be much better (higher). Many dealers in Germany give only 3% on a Macan Turbo, over 10% (I won't say a precise figure) on a 991. Just an example.

So I am actually doing something pretty weird: I will exchange my Cayenne GTS with a...Boxster S (981). Fully optioned, 20 mm sport chassis, PDK, Sport Chrono, sport seats, sport exhaust and so on. It doesn't cost me a cent, lease rate stays the same (3 years). Then, in two years, when my wife's X3 lease runs out, we are getting a Macan.

Me and my wife had a little chat yesterday and she is right: We don't really need two SUV but she badly wants (and needs) a Cab. So far, we were looking into the F-Type or even a Boxster S but now it seems to be the best solution: Cayenne GTS goes for a Boxster S, X3 35D stays as a family SUV and the Macan will replace the X3 in two years, when the prices and lease rates of the Macan will be in more "civilized" regions.

Just wanted to share this with you since I really think that right now, the Macan prices/lease rates are a bit high.

This is the car:

2013-12-12_10-06-26.jpg

2013-12-12_10-06-53.jpg

2013-12-12_10-07-19.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Just catching up on this thread. Congrats - great choice, and we have twin cars! I also have a 981S that is fully optioned. And I mean fully optioned including PTV, chrono, adaptive sports seat, and PCCB etc as well as all the natural leather and carbon fibre.  :)  I also have a 981S Cayman without PTV and I think in the future I will add PTV to every Porsche I buy!  Here are a couple of pics of mine. 

Stunning, good choice to take the Espresso interior kiss. Did you consider taking the brown top?

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

RC, do you have the Boxster S now?  Do you miss the Cayenne GTS?

I did read a notice at my dealer today that a Macan GTS and Turbo S are in the planning cycle...

Cool graphic of the freshair intake:

P13_0856.jpg

993Targa:

Stunning, good choice to take the Espresso interior kiss. Did you consider taking the brown top?

Thank you!  You know, I have never even imagined how a brown top would look like with Agate exterior. Have you seen this combo before? If I keep this car for more than a couple of years, maybe I should look into the cost of replacing the roof as a cosmetic surgery for it haha. 

No, seen it with white and black, never with Agate. Could be really good or really bad..

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Wonderbar:

RC, do you have the Boxster S now?  Do you miss the Cayenne GTS?

I did read a notice at my dealer today that a Macan GTS and Turbo S are in the planning cycle...

Yes, I have the Boxster S and my wife loves it. I like it too but I miss the Cayenne GTS a lot, especially after a family ski trip in my wife's X3. Horrible experience to drive over 700 km in this car, it was fully loaded up with luggage and the steering/drive feel stank. Not really my cup of tea, even if the engine was performing quite well for a Diesel.

After talking to my wife over and over, I had decided to get a Cayenne again, a Turbo this time. A Porsche contact found me a very nice used Cayenne Turbo S with very low mileage and fully loaded (PCCB, everything). The owner wasn't really into SUVs and wanted to get rid of this car. I would have been able to take over his lease contract through Porsche Financial. So far, so good.

Then, I asked myself: Am I crazy? Paying 2900 EUR per month (no initial payment, only 29 months lease period) for a Cayenne Turbo S I will barely use just for a couple of longer family trips? This is just burning money, just not worth it. So I was looking for an alternative. I found a used Cayenne Turbo, 30k km, fully loaded (no PCCB though), 2.5 years old, for 75k EUR. I waited to long, when I finally had taken the decision to get this car, it was...gone. The offer was just too good and someone else got this car. Then, I was looking into other deals but couldn't find one which would be satisfactory. Too expensive, too old, too much mileage, etc...

In the end, I remembered Lars997' thread about his new family SUV. A Jeep SRT8 (2014 version). He is very happy with this car. So I went to a local official Jeep dealer, after almost getting a used 2012 model and this dealer cut me a very nice deal for the SRT8.

This is the car I am going to pick up this Saturday. The car is fully loaded, a Cayenne Diesel with similar options would be over 90k EUR. Quality seems to be better than expected, the car is at a quality level at par with the Mercedes ML/G class and better than my previous X5M from BMW. Very very surprising. Not sure how reliable this car is but Lars didn't encounter any issues so far.

Long story short: I got one, including an amazing sounding sport exhaust with flap control. Actually the only one available in Germany with TÜV and to be honest, I don't have a clue how this loud exhaust actually got TÜV. Smiley

Oh...if I am not happy with the power, I can add a 7.3 l HEMI tuning with 557 hp. No turbo or super charger, classic tuning. Goes like hell. However, I think that the stock power (468 hp) will suffice.

image.png-12.jpeg

--

CONGRATS RC...I PREDICT ONCE THE CAYENNE TURBO FACELIFT COMES OUT LATER THIS YEAR WE WILL SEE YOU TRADING IN THE JEEP. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, 2015 Porsche MACAN S (May 2014 Delivery) New York

bobr:

CONGRATS RC...I PREDICT ONCE THE CAYENNE TURBO FACELIFT COMES OUT LATER THIS YEAR WE WILL SEE YOU TRADING IN THE JEEP. 

Nope. The Jeep is just a car for a couple of family trips per year. A cheap solution to a not so important issue.

I had an offer for a slightly used Cayenne Turbo S but passed on it. It would have costed me over 60k EUR more over a lease period of only 29 months, just not worth it. We use the Jeep maybe three or four times a year and maybe when I just have the desire to drive it. My daily driver is the Boxster S, my wife has her X3 35d and my fun car is the 991 Turbo S. No need for another (expensive) toy. The SRT8 is just perfectand the sport exhaust sounds amazing. Smiley

--

RC, you are one decisive dude.  Looking forward to some impressions...

Never say nope, RC.  A great philosopher once quipped:  "Man's greatest fault is his fickleness."

Wonderbar:

Never say nope, RC.  A great philosopher once quipped:  "Man's greatest fault is his fickleness."

I agree but the SRT8 is really more of a necessity, not really something I wanted but I still plan to enjoy it. 

Replacing the 991 Turbo S would be a different story but I have no plans whatsoever to do that for now. Smiley

--

Congrats RC! I heard one of those SRT8 start up recently and boy is it impressive! Over here, they cost the same as a X3 30D, what a bargain!  One question though, why not just get rid of the X3 all together and have the missus drive the Jeep (and the Boxster S when the kids are not with her)? I love my Boxster S btw, great to hear that you are using it as a DD.

Back on macan. I still haven't ordered one for two reasons. First, the build for Australia that isn't already pre-specced doesn't start till July anyway; and second, the zero discount policy on Macan by my Porsche Centre is putting me off it. Are you guys in other markets getting any discount on these cars? I would be happy with 3-5% discount but they are saying zero. Absolutely ridiculous considering how many Porsches I've bought!

no Macan discount in the UK .. lucky if you can get a car in 2014!

RC:
    Wonderbar:

I agree but the SRT8 is really more of a necessity, not really something I wanted but I still plan to enjoy it. 

Replacing the 991 Turbo S would be a different story but I have no plans whatsoever to do that for now. Smiley

I guess one has a different definition of a necessity...

I'll be very interested in your comments about the JGC SRT8 as you put milage on it.  

WAY:

Congrats RC! I heard one of those SRT8 start up recently and boy is it impressive! Over here, they cost the same as a X3 30D, what a bargain!  One question though, why not just get rid of the X3 all together and have the missus drive the Jeep (and the Boxster S when the kids are not with her)? I love my Boxster S btw, great to hear that you are using it as a DD.

My wife loves the X3 for the city and her lease (BMW Financial) runs another 18 months, she cannot just return her car and be done with it (Porsche Financial has been very generous with me in the past...).

She loves the Jeep (even more than the Cayenne) but she wouldn't drive it in the city.

I know it sounds stupid to have two SUVs and I never thought we would need two (this is why I exchanged the Cayenne GTS with a Boxster S) but I guess my family has special needs Smiley and I really hate driving that X3 on longer distances.

The SRT8 is just perfect from a performance/value point of view, I just hope I won't regret it quality-wise.

Now as you said...back to (Macan) topic.

If someone is interested in the SRT8, we have a "new family SUV" thread where we discuss it. Thanks.

--

I'll leave this here...smiley

This is the first picture that I see where I prefer the dark color on the McCann. I also prefer the non turbo face.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806289 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449451 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267023 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7177 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887150 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835894 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM