Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster GTS

acky:
    RC: Let's hope that the couple of horses more for the GTS are not everything they did with the engine. Smiley

That would surprise me. I thought there will be only a minor software tweek to get this 15HP. Like the horsepower increase in the 987 Black Edition --

981 Boxster S (PCCB, PASM, PTV, SportChrono, Bose, ventilated heated sport seats plus, PCM, full leather with some X Options, .....)

A minor tweak would be disappointing and no, unfortunately I have no details. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

At least, I am already very much looking forward on what the marketing department is going to tell us about this outstanding never ever before accomplished model...perhaps some James Dean related headline...

acky:
    RC: Let's hope that the couple of horses more for the GTS are not everything they did with the engine. Smiley

That would surprise me. I thought there will be only a minor software tweek to get this 15HP. Like the horsepower increase in the 987 Black Edition --

981 Boxster S (PCCB, PASM, PTV, SportChrono, Bose, ventilated heated sport seats plus, PCM, full leather with some X Options, .....)

Well, you could either look at it as 981S + 15hp or as 991 base Carrera, Less 10hp (or Less 20hp for Boxster GTS) - seems like there won't be anything too special here...Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Nothing special. It is a GTS. That means a few more hp and bundled options. Just like the previous GTS versions of the Panamera, Cayenne and Carrera. A great package, but that is it.

I don't get why people were expecting a 400hp special 981 from the GTS moniker angry  

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

bluelines:

Nothing special. It is a GTS. That means a few more hp and bundled options. Just like the previous GTS versions of the Panamera, Cayenne and Carrera. A great package, but that is it.

I don't get why people were expecting a 400hp special 981 from the GTS moniker angry  

I don't think anyone was expecting 400hp from the GTS; that was more speculation about Preuninger's "super cayman"

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:
    bluelines:

I don't think anyone was expecting 400hp from the GTS; that was more speculation about Preuninger's "super cayman"

Ah, the unicorn.

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

DaveGordon:
    bluelines:

Yes, I still think there is a chance to see the unicorn next year (or whenever the 991 changes to turbo motors).  I never expected that much from the GTS, but it is certainly cynical to get less than 3% power bump for a "special" model.  This cannot even be felt, afaic...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    DaveGordon:
    bluelines:

Yes, I still think there is a chance to see the unicorn next year (or whenever the 991 changes to turbo motors)

At which price level do you expect it? 991 level or 981 level? Why?

--

Previous

bluelines:
    Grant:
    DaveGordon:
    bluelines:

Yes, I still think there is a chance to see the unicorn next year (or whenever the 991 changes to turbo motors)

At which price level do you expect it? 991 level or 981 level? Why?

Might be priced close to base Carrera - just my guess

--

Grant:

Might be priced close to base Carrera - just my guess

So a 400hp Cayman will cost like a 350hp Carrera. Who will continue to buy a base Carrera if you for the same price get 50hp more in the Cayman? Or who will continue to buy the Carrera S if you get equal performance in a less priced Cayman?

I think the main issue with the this "super" Cayman is the price level. The artificial price gap between the current 981 and 991 does not fit such a car. It will either be as great as a GT3 and cost like one, or it will be miles off and still priced below the 911.

--

Previous

I don't expect the Cayman GT4 until the facelift of the 991, at which time the 991S will have well over 400hp.  Maybe the GT4 will have the same motor as the S but slightly detuned, but maybe I'm wrong.  If the base Carrera continues, it will have more than 350hp.

i understand your point, so maybe I'm wrong.   We'll have to wait and see.  But a 400hp 991S costs 50% more than a 400hp Macan Turbo, right?

--

Grant:

I don't expect the Cayman GT4 until the facelift of the 991, at which time the 991S will have well over 400hp.  Maybe the GT4 will have the same motor as the S but slightly detuned, but maybe I'm wrong.  If the base Carrera continues, it will have more than 350hp.

i understand your point, so maybe I'm wrong.   We'll have to wait and see.  But a 400hp 991S costs 50% more than a 400hp Macan Turbo, right?

--

that is EXACTLY my thought - on top of it some of the same options cost different money adding the 991 figure even further way ! Yhis is why I probably will never buy a new Porsche again. I am no more willing to take such big hits which ultimatively have to come if they build as many as I think they will.....

They can build as many SUVs and saloons as they want for all I car. Neither are sports cars. If it means they're able to continue the development of the 911 so be it. As a "base" Carrera buyer I'm not in the market and never have been for a Cayman. Whilst it's a great car to drive, I have no interest in a fixed head two seater. Boxster on the other hand.....

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Grant:

But a 400hp 991S costs 50% more than a 400hp Macan Turbo, right?

Exactly. There is the artifical price gap in action Smiley However, different vehicle and market segments. Few potential 991 buyers would look at a Macan as a replacement. With the 981 it is different.

I wrote it somewhere before, my 981 Boxster on order is close to fully loaded and with all the performance options. Close to CHF 50k extra. This is the price of a bare 991 base Carrera coupe (not cabriolet!) with no options. Same engine block, same transmission, same interior, same body material, same paint, etc. Performance on par or possibly slightly better than the base Carrera. The 991 is way overpriced. Alternatively the 981 is a steal Smiley

--

Previous

Unless Porsche accepts that there is a market for a cayman in motorsports (like our Italian neighbors had in the past  this cayman cup up and running for some time) and devote means to its Weissach facilities besides the 911, it is not going to happen IMO. I think the topic of another "car in motorsports" besides the 911 was buried with the 968 Turbo S / RS long time ago...

d997h:

Unless Porsche accepts that there is a market for a cayman in motorsports (like our Italian neighbors had in the past  this cayman cup up and running for some time) and devote means to its Weissach facilities besides the 911, it is not going to happen IMO. I think the topic of another "car in motorsports" besides the 911 was buried with the 968 Turbo S / RS long time ago...

I'm afraid so. They could reboot this with the new "960" though. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bluelines:

I wrote it somewhere before, my 981 Boxster on order is close to fully loaded and with all the performance options. Close to CHF 50k extra. This is the price of a bare 991 base Carrera coupe (not cabriolet!) with no options. Same engine block, same transmission, same interior, same body material, same paint, etc. Performance on par or possibly slightly better than the base Carrera. The 991 is way overpriced. Alternatively the 981 is a steal Smiley

I find it fascinating how Porsche can pull this off and still sell more 991s than 981s.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I hate to say it but a Boxster is a Boxster and a 911 is a 911.

If I could drive to work in a 911 Cab, I would have taken one instead of the Boxster.

Also, over here where I live, 90% of the Boxster drivers I see on the road are...women.

Furthermore, the little benefit the Boxster S offers over the 911 Carrera in handling and performance, is really not worth writing home about. I also like the drive feel of the 911 much more but I guess I am a little bit biased.

I'm afraid some Boxster lovers want to see more in the Boxster than there is and please don't misunderstand me. I am driving a Boxster S as a daily driver but I would exchange it with a 911 Cab in a heartbeat. This doesn't mean I don't like the Boxster, I do like it but in my opinion, this car gets from people more credit than it deserves. Even if the 981 is the most mature Boxster Porsche has developed and put on the road.

Feel free to have a different opinion (I know many do) but there is a reason why the Boxster has been positioned where it is right now in the Porsche model family, like it or not.

We can argue all day long if Porsche has artificially "limited" Boxster performance for the sake of the 911. I doubt it. The Boxster has a pretty clear position in the Porsche model range hierarchy and Porsche is acting on it. Nothing more and nothing else. Actually, I think the Boxster has become quite expensive (not that I have a different opinion about the 911). My Boxster S costs aprox. 88k EUR new and it could have easily be specced to 100k EUR and more with PCCB and some other minor goodies. A fully loaded 991 Carrera Cab would still be at least 30k EUR more.

Some of you are young or younger than me and I can understand the desire of a small, light and powerful car but the 911 is Porsche, like it or not, the whole brand has been defined by the 911. Why would Porsche be that stupid to position the Boxster closer to the 911? This just doesn't make sense. 

Last but not least, I see many 911 in the hands of Porsche employees but not many Boxster. So if the mentality at Porsche is the one I mentioned before, why would they want to change things? 

Let's face it: The Boxster is a great fun car but it is an entry level Porsche sports car and not a 911 competitor. I would always choose the 911 over the Boxster and even my wife, she could care less about performance or tradition, would choose the 911 Cab over the Boxster. Sadly, she had no choice because I need to use the car as a daily driver to work. Which actually makes another point: If I can drive a Boxster to work but not a 911, what does this tell you? Right, the Boxster is an entry level Porsche sports car and this is how most people perceive it. 

Does this fact make the Boxster a "bad" Porsche? No way. However, we should stay realistic and not try to put the Boxster at a level where it just isn't.

Oh boy, I can see a similar discussion start with the Macan and the Cayenne at some point, especially since the Macan is 200 kg lighter than the Cayenne. Still, this won't change anything in the model hierarchy, even if I personally believe that the Macan Turbo is actually the best deal from Porsche in the SUV segment.

--

You are right RC. That's exactly how it is. But the majority (me included) want or wanted a 911 because it's a 911. I'm now over that idea of "needing" one, although I still love the 991's looks (some... Not all)

Doesn't take away that I'm slowly starting to like the Boxster even more than the 991. The fact that I haven't ordered a 991, is mostly because of the fact that I bought the Boxster (initially as an interim car), but it kept me from buying something else instead.  I just can't sell the car for some reason. I love it more and more and after living for a week with a rented 991 C2 cab in the US, I appreciated the Boxster even more.  Nothing worng with that 991 cab (except the looks) but it just doesn't offer anything more than the Boxster. I actually prefer a Boxster over a 991 cab. Coupe is a different story though... 991 C4S remains for me the best looking Porsche ever (Yes... Even better than a CGT!)

The 911 is the more mature car, a lot better suited for daily use, but for a weekend/fun car, a 981 offers 95% of the fun a 911, but at 60% (or less) of the pricetag. In other words, Boxster is getting expensive, but the 991's pricetag is getting outrageous for what you get. (With the exception of the GT3)

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonlight blue metallic

Please don't get me wrong: Would I love to see a 400 hp Boxster GTS or Boxster GT4? Of course. More than a Cayman btw.. This is however wishful thinking.

--

RC:

Please don't get me wrong: Would I love to see a 400 hp Boxster GTS or Boxster GT4? Of course. More than a Cayman btw.. This is however wishful thinking.

Exactly... It will not come. If it does, it will cost GT3 money, but I don't see why Porsche would ever do that. That car is already available, although not form Porsche, but from RUF. The 3800S has 420hp 3.8 flat six and it costs GT3 money.....Smiley

--

Suzy

991 Cab wind management with roof down and electric wind deflector deployed is FAR superior to 981 Boxster roof down.

that alone is reason enough for me to have 991 Cab instead.

991 Cab wind management is truly outstanding, and not bettered by any other Cab on the market.

I agree with you on that one sfo. That wind deflector does an amazing job indeed. A simple, good looking and very effective solution. kiss

--

Suzy

RC:

I hate to say it but a Boxster is a Boxster and a 911 is a 911.

If I could drive to work in a 911 Cab, I would have taken one instead of the Boxster.

Also, over here where I live, 90% of the Boxster drivers I see on the road are...women.

Furthermore, the little benefit the Boxster S offers over the 911 Carrera in handling and performance, is really not worth writing home about. I also like the drive feel of the 911 much more but I guess I am a little bit biased.

I'm afraid some Boxster lovers want to see more in the Boxster than there is and please don't misunderstand me. I am driving a Boxster S as a daily driver but I would exchange it with a 911 Cab in a heartbeat. This doesn't mean I don't like the Boxster, I do like it but in my opinion, this car gets from people more credit than it deserves. Even if the 981 is the most mature Boxster Porsche has developed and put on the road.

Feel free to have a different opinion (I know many do) but there is a reason why the Boxster has been positioned where it is right now in the Porsche model family, like it or not.

We can argue all day long if Porsche has artificially "limited" Boxster performance for the sake of the 911. I doubt it. The Boxster has a pretty clear position in the Porsche model range hierarchy and Porsche is acting on it. Nothing more and nothing else. Actually, I think the Boxster has become quite expensive (not that I have a different opinion about the 911). My Boxster S costs aprox. 88k EUR new and it could have easily be specced to 100k EUR and more with PCCB and some other minor goodies. A fully loaded 991 Carrera Cab would still be at least 30k EUR more.

Some of you are young or younger than me and I can understand the desire of a small, light and powerful car but the 911 is Porsche, like it or not, the whole brand has been defined by the 911. Why would Porsche be that stupid to position the Boxster closer to the 911? This just doesn't make sense. 

Last but not least, I see many 911 in the hands of Porsche employees but not many Boxster. So if the mentality at Porsche is the one I mentioned before, why would they want to change things? 

Let's face it: The Boxster is a great fun car but it is an entry level Porsche sports car and not a 911 competitor. I would always choose the 911 over the Boxster and even my wife, she could care less about performance or tradition, would choose the 911 Cab over the Boxster. Sadly, she had no choice because I need to use the car as a daily driver to work. Which actually makes another point: If I can drive a Boxster to work but not a 911, what does this tell you? Right, the Boxster is an entry level Porsche sports car and this is how most people perceive it. 

Does this fact make the Boxster a "bad" Porsche? No way. However, we should stay realistic and not try to put the Boxster at a level where it just isn't.

Oh boy, I can see a similar discussion start with the Macan and the Cayenne at some point, especially since the Macan is 200 kg lighter than the Cayenne. Still, this won't change anything in the model hierarchy, even if I personally believe that the Macan Turbo is actually the best deal from Porsche in the SUV segment.

Yes, of course it is a personal preference in the end.

You did hit the nail on the head, it is a difference in perception between the cars, not so much real life difference.

--

Previous

sfo:

991 Cab wind management with roof down and electric wind deflector deployed is FAR superior to 981 Boxster roof down.

that alone is reason enough for me to have 991 Cab instead.

991 Cab wind management is truly outstanding, and not bettered by any other Cab on the market.

A great example of different requirements and preferences. I could not care less about the wind in my hair, but I do care about the feeling and handling. Even if the 911 cabriolet is faster on paper I did not feel this differentce in real life, it rather feelt heavy and flexing.

--

Previous

I think I belong to a very elitist group of people.

1. I am a man
    2. I am nearly 50 years old
    3. I drive  a Boxster as my daily driver since  a long time(986/987/981)
    4. I am very happy with my car.
    5. I don’t give a sh!t when somebody calls the Boxster “Frauen-Porsche”

I do not track my car (every year only some laps at the Nuerburgring).  I love cabs (I do not like the look of the 911 cab while I while think that the 991 coupe design is nearly perfect) and I can’t find any reason why the 911 should be the better cab. And I hate to spend more money than needed. I don’t want to own a second car which would be a garage queen. No place, no time. So why own a car for only a very few sunny weekends? I use my car for about 20.00km/year and I enjoy every minute. I tried the 911 several times, I not sure but I think I prefer the Boxster feeling (maybe because I am used to ot).

We (together with my wife) even went for skiing holiday with the 986. I had a roof rack for our 4 pairs of ski (alpin & nordic). If you make a little compromise the luggage room is big enough for one week skiing holiday. I will never forget the fun we (maybe more precise: I) had driving the Julier Pass to St. Moritz by night after 20cm fresh snow. No other cars, nice road, good tires, no problem (even with no PSM) (@Porsche: why don’t you sell a roof rack for the Boxster anymore?)

Every three years I have to decide which car will be my next car. Even I am getting older, last time it was a tough decision Panamera 4S/GTS or again a Boxster. I have to admit that I choose the Boxster because the Panamera doesn’t fit into the garage of my office (too long and too heavy) but after 8 month together with my 981s I am very happy with that decision.

It’s a great little car! Even as a daily driver.

More Power? Why not! But I think most Boxster users do not feel any difference between a 981s or the 981GTS. Without a watch the little bit more power is only helpful while talking about cars. And the new front? Different people different taste.

Boxster/Cayman GT4? As a Boxster I don’t think it is very clever. Cayman GT4 maybe, but for serious track use I would prefer the original icon.

24 month more month before I have to order the next car. 981MK2? Macan (small/light enough for my office) or maybe an Alpina D3 AWD? Time will tell

Which is fine - if you don't need the extra two seats occasionally. This is the main reason I'm in a 991 - as is evidenced, many people have many reasons for the choice - it's just great that we have that choice!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

991 driving experience and feel is also quite different to 981 due to different engine locations.

991's excellent wind management extends roof down opportunities for me because lack of wind/buffetting means that temperature with roof down is more consistent and controlled.

if there was a 991 GT3 Cab, I would be in heaven.

I think most people in favour of a GT4 today would simply love to see some kind of 968 CS to be used on the track, which at that time was reasonably affordable and on (hp) level with a 964...simply another track toy with a different driving behaviour to a 911, but still with some straight line performance to be more or less on par with a 911.

d997h:

I think most people in favour of a GT4 today would simply love to see some kind of 968 CS to be used on the track, which at that time was reasonably affordable and on (hp) level with a 964...simply another track toy with a different driving behaviour to a 911, but still with some straight line performance to be more or less on par with a 911.

+1 Smiley

--

Previous

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806503 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449514 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267039 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7203 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887282 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836077 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM