Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The longer you wait, the longer the options list grows!!

Hey guys,

Ordered my 997S in mid February. Well, the waiting isn't killing me (yet). Feel 'nicely expectant'. BUT, I'm finding that the longer I wait, the more I think about it, the more options I keep wanting to add!

My original spec was:

997 C2S Coupe, 6 speed manual, MY2007 C16 RHD spec
    X1 Arctic silver metallic paint
    RA Cocoa full leather interior
    P12 Automatically dimming interior & exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    P17 -20mm sports suspension with mechanical rear differential lock
    635 ParkAssist
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    650 Electric tilt/slide sunroof
    XLF Porsche Sports Exhaust system
    Aluminium instrument dials
    407 19 inch SportDesign alloy wheels
    446 Wheel centres with full colour Porsche crest
    482 Tyre pressure monitoring system
    P01 Adaptive sports seats
    342 Seat heating
    XSH Seat belts in silver grey
    XX1 Floor mats in cocoa (M6C) with Porsche logo in silver and leather edging in cocoa
    XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    XTV Door trim in leather
    XMZ Rear section of centre console in leather
    XZD Interior light surround in leather
    XMP Sunvisors in leather
    CUV Porsche Exclusive centre console main storage compartment lid in leather with 'Carrera S' logo
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel (with 'Carrera S' logo)
    672 Extended PCM Navigation module
    680 BOSE Sound System
    900 Factory Collection 911 (Stuttgart)
    674 Preparation for Porsche Vehicle Tracking System
    567 Grey top tint on windscreen

I have now added:

666 Telephone for PCM
    XNS Steering column casing in leather (leather comes in cocoa colour whereas without XNS this would be black plastic otherwise and that would stick out unattractively)
    CCW Porsche Exclusive: B pillar belt outlet trim in Alu-look (just a little 'accent' to break up the colour scheme on the B pillar - and avoid the rather plasticky piece that would otherwise be there - matches the Alu look on the dashboard etc BUT most importantly, it's only a really small piece of alu-look. Big pieces can IMHO look a little cheap and plasticky. Hopefully, it will enhance the cocoa/silvery colour scheme in a tasteful way.
    CDZ Porsche Exclusive: Gear console top trim in cocoa leather (otherwise this would just be in a plastic finish)

Guys, is there any Porsche Exclusive option you think I really should add? Hopefully this is it!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend

Re: The longer you wait, the longer the options list grows!!

I hope that you're going to be keeping your car for a l.o.n.g time - because, otherwise, you're going to lose the cost of most - if not all - of those options at trade-in time! I speak from painful experience when I traded-in a similarly specified 987S after 15 months to buy the 997 C4S that I collected last week. The 987S cost Pounds51.8k and I received Pounds34.5k after 15 months and 7500 miles! Unless you NEED all those options and intend to keep the car then I suggest that you start to prune the list.

Del

Easy, I don't think you could add anything more if you tried ! hehehe...

Spec list is awesome and I'm sure the car is going to look and feel fantastic. However unless its a treat to yourself (as mine is) and resale etc is entirely a secondary issue, Del's comments are worth noting.

I need to take some of Del's advice too as I'm going through a similar phase on my C4S 2007 order. I just keep adding bits and pieces and I justify it because it's my treat... but me thinks it's draw the line time.

BTw, have you thought of adding the painted rocker panels option ? Been told they really enhance the look and make the car look lower... purely aesthetic..I've gone for it. Damn... there I go again!!!!

@Haku : Easy can not ad that option because he ordered a 2S not a 4S !!

Easyrider: the cost of your interior options are getting the total price closer to that of the 997 GT3 and 997 TT.

Option 666 is a must, however, the other leather and aluminum options are just not worth it in a Porsche, imho. The standard interior is not that of an Aston Martin and will never be no matter how much leather and aluminum you add.

Also, the road and engine noise will not do justice to the Bose sound system.

If I were you, I'd remove the interior cosmetics and order X51 instead.

Why do you think the waiting period is so long ?
    (Porsche knows from experience that every buyer always "forgets" something and they want to make sure you are really, really happy with the car . Lol )

XNS Definately

XTV

CUV with Carrera S inscription

CDZ

MAYBE (IMO) Innersill Finishers in Cocoa Leather

MAYBE (IMO) Interior Mirror in Leather

Alu Pack on the Dash : comes with some VERY NICE Leather Accents

ONLY IMO Easy Rider !!
    Because you asked it
    VERY VERY NICE interior (exclusive) options you took
    AND MAYBE, Last But NOT LEAST (Only Kidding )

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    AND MAYBE, Last But NOT LEAST (Only Kidding )

PCCB to ensure the car with all the wonderful options look clean and bright all the time.

And accept that each and every one of those options will be worthless when time comes to trade in the car!

Delbox has a very good point! Our 997 has the cocoa brown full leather interior. When my wife and I went through the options list we asked ourselves what actually would add to the interior and what would just add to Porsche's bottom line. I would stay away from the innersill finishers in leather. Any area that you could rub with your shoes getting into or out of the vehicle will end up looking scuffed and will be difficult to maintain. There are many items in the full leather interior that unless expressly covered in leather are painted to match the leather color. Ask yourself if you could visually tell the difference. Also ask yourself if the next person buying this car could tell the difference.

Thanks for the input guys and for the 'reality check'.

I should say though that I plan to keep the car for 10-15 years so trade in value is not a factor for me. I am speccing up the car to maximise my pleasure. I'm treating myself so I'm not really thinking about trying to economise on options. (I do however want to get the spec I want for the lowest price hence all the bargain hunting etc!)

Oxonian, thanks - actually the price is around Pounds74000. The GT3 is Pounds79k. 997TT is Pounds95k. But the GT3 is not my cup of tea. Too track oriented.

I'm surprised you're so impressed with the AM interior. I sat in the DB9 and AMV8 and didn't like it. Didn't like the seats. Electric seat adjustment buttons are directly from Ford Mondeo. (AM Marketing Director told me at the Canary Wharf Motorexpo in June 2005 when I first sat in it).

The nav system is from Volvo. Heating etc is same as Jaguar. Like a beautiful Frankenstein!

Freak2 - you're very kind posting all those pics especially for me to drool over! Thanks man...

conniosseur, completely agree with you about inner door sill finishers. I would never get these in leather. They will be ruined by all the scuff marks from shoes.

I would not choose a cocoa leather mirror because it will just not blend with the black leather interior light surround I've picked.

PCCB & X51 - no way! Way too expensive. My wife would never let me!

Painted wheels - respect to those that like it but it just isnt my style. It's the kind of thing people who choose an aerokit would go for. Not understated enough for me.

Avoid the Cocoa leather if you can. It doesnt age well and after awhile becomes very sad looking.

If you really do plan to keep the car for long, go with black leather. Any scratch in it, and that will happen, can be easily color matched.Cocoa is a nightmare to fix and to keep looking new.

The sound and throttle response from the X51 is so good it actually does transform the car. You should seriously consider it.

As for the money spent on leather trim bits, any competent leather upholstry trim shop could provide them for far less money. - example- the leather sunvisors are easily being duplicated for under $100 here in the US. Im sure they are plenty of auto upholstry craftsmen in the UK who can help you with that and some of the other trim bits.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Avoid the Cocoa leather if you can. It doesnt age well and after awhile becomes very sad looking.

Isn't it a bit early to tell? Cocoa wasn't even introduced 2 years ago!

I agree about the fact that it is nigh impossible to touch up, though. Over 15 years, scratches are bound to show.

Easyrider,
    First off, totally agree with you re the Aston.....I just don't get it (I love the Vanquish, most beautiful car on the road) but the DB9 doesn't do it for me, and it has some nasty interior fit and finish issues...The one I was in had awful leather creasing around the shoulder area of the seat....If it had been mine I would have insisted on them changing the seats out....
    Regarding your options, I wouldn't do the seat headrests logos and the storage bin car name...I think I'd choose one or the other. Have you seen the crest on the storage bin lid...that looks great....I'll see if I can find a photo and post it.

I wouldn't bother with the leather door finishers...Also, have you thought about the illuminated door sills rather than just the ss ones( I have them, and whilst they are totally pointless they really do look very cool). BTW limit yourself on these forums...they'll make you want things you never knew existed!!

Here's the storage lid crest (from a Rennlist post)

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Isn't it a bit early to tell? Cocoa wasn't even introduced 2 years ago!

I agree about the fact that it is nigh impossible to touch up, though. Over 15 years, scratches are bound to show.

Cocoa was introduced in the 70's by Porsche as a interior color. The leather they used then and in the 80' and 90's used a dye process that is not legal now, but was deeper and longer lasting than current EU automotive recycling regulations allow.

Thank you, I did not know about that. But who knows? The durability tests are much more severe today than 20 years ago.

Still, if I were to intend to keep my car for 15 years, I'd stay on the safe side rather than perform beta-testing for Porsche...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I should say though that I plan to keep the car for 10-15 years so trade in value is not a factor for me. I am speccing up the car to maximise my pleasure. I'm treating myself so I'm not really thinking about trying to economise on options.

Hi Easy - That's a really cool spec' you've opted for which is personalised to your own preference. Good luck to you for taking the time and attention to detail to get it right for you.

Not everyone will agree on your choices, but if it's right for you - then that's all that matters.

My point concerns your intention to keep the car for 10-15 years. I once kept a P-car for 13 years because I fell in love with it and couldn't bring myself to part with it. In fact I finally gave it away to a good home!!

At the time of purchase, I hadn't expected to keep it more than a couple of years so didn't explore the extended warranty situation. I wish I had though because the costs of mechanical and bodywork maintenance during years 5-13 were horrendous.

Would strongly suggest that you make arrangements for a rolling extended warranty from day one, or certainly from the time your normal warranty expires (2 years in the UK).

I'll certainly never own an out-of-warranty P-car again.

Wow that list is long...

The good news is you can hit a cash wall for factory options.

I did the configurator a while ago and got every possible (and non-mutuallly exclusive) option for the 997s and found out you can't spend more than us$50K.

So what the heck? It's all about enjoying your car while you lose money anyway. Most people spend between us$15 and 20K so what's wrong with at least doubling it?

Absolutely John H. Thanks for mentioning this. I plan to buy the annual warranty extension. It's already on my list of things to do!

Incidentally it's cheaper to buy the warranty entension in Europe. It costs about 850 Euros over there but Pounds725 over here in the UK. The slight snag is that the car needs to be inspected each time they issue it so I might just pop across the channel each year!

The only other issue is that the warranty can only be extended from the 2nd year until the 9th year of the car's life. After that, I guess one might need to either 'take it on the chin' or contact a 3rd party extended warranty supplier but I assume that would be very costly.

Still, I think that if a car hasn't revealed its flaws within 9 years then it's just rotten luck!

Easy, I know exactly your situation. I ordered my car last September with a March built date (by intention, because I liked to get the cab in Spring). The longer the wait time got, the longer the option list went - actually I felt some relief when I wanted to add this famous "very last option" and the dealer told me, that the order is locked
    Each Saturday when I entered the showroom he had a big grin on his face and even bigger $$$$-signs in his eyes, because he knew what was coming...

I'm also in your shoes regarding the intended long-term ownership (I may be crazy, but a beautiful car is like a good companion to me - I never could trade it in after 1 or 2 years only). BTW I'll also join you with the Beta testing of the long-term quality of the Cocoa-leather

Bottom line: spec the baby to your likings (your car as you specced it will be a stunning beauty IMO), forget resale value (in the long run we're all dead..), get some sleep and get rid of the option list and marketing brochures from the exclusive department - your artwork is perfect already IMO.

Good Luck

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689929 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409425 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235069 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858176 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774288 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM