Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:

My dealer told me my order is now in PAG hands, so I am guessing the order is locked in and lined up for production now. Debated for a long time to go with dark blue metallic but ended up still going with Basalt Black.

Locally, there is a new track project Area 27 it is called, Jacques Villeneuve is their spokesman, about 4hrs away through the mountains, they are suppose to start construction this year, I put my name down as someone interested in joining. So yeah I do plan on tracking it and my other cars.

I will also join some locals who goes to the Seattle track or the Portland track and some other road rallies.

The 918 differs from every other super car is that it's every day usable, can't hold much shopping but Porsche engineered it to be a 'daily driver' if one can call it that. AWD for foul weather, electric mode for quiet uncover travel, etc.

Porsche built 50 prototypes just to validate and test everything, Ferrari and McLaren together maybe have 10 or less, but at least McLaren pretty much validated everything but the hybrid system on the P1 with the 12C. But Porsche has the extra test miles, so I believe it should be the most reliable one too.  

While I was at the dealer today talking about my order, I was also there to picked up a couple of the new Porsche Office Chairs that I ordered after I came back from the LA Show. Man those thing are sweet. 

Actually, even 250 mil for a new car is a low investment. Making new model costs around 1 billion euro.

In many ways 918 repeats 959 and veyron. Both these cars were a great loss for Porsche and VW in its time. Have read somewhere that porsche sold 959 at 40% from its real costs. So, they lost, on each car, around 60%...

--

sportcars-history.com

Whoopsy:

@Futch: bit off topic but when is your LaFerrari due?

April/ May in italian calendar, which means anytime up to September in our calendar.

Hopefully I will have it before the summer, they started production back in November and they're doing approx one per day.

Whoopsy:

The best halo car is one that loses money for the parent company I reckon. That means the company is really making the best car there is, as oppose to making the most money they can.

I kindly disagree. The best halo car is a car that exhibits qualities and potential no other car does, no matter if from the same company or a competitor. The 959 might have been the technological halo car back then but I´d say the F40 has surpassed it with its raw character. There is so much more to a car than those rationales applied. I am very curious, once we look back on cars like the CGT, the 918 or the Enzo and LaFerrari as vintage cars, how our thought and opinions might have changed. 

I believe it has more to do with the effort that is put into it, which sometimes does correlate with the money invested in the project, but sometimes has more to do with the people involved in development, due to their skills and effort. 

As to the price requested by McLaren, all those companies are bound to earn money with their activities. Otherwise they go bankrupt. I doubt many people consider the manufacturing or development budget on an object at time of purchase, be it a car, jewelry or electronics. What is relevant is whether the price matches the quality and allure of the product, that, in my opinion, is what it boils down to.

Smiley

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:

The best halo car is one that loses money for the parent company I reckon. That means the company is really making the best car there is, as oppose to making the most money they can.

I kindly disagree. The best halo car is a car that exhibits qualities and potential no other car does, no matter if from the same company or a competitor. The 959 might have been the technological halo car back then but I´d say the F40 has surpassed it with its raw character. There is so much more to a car than those rationales applied. I am very curious, once we look back on cars like the CGT, the 918 or the Enzo and LaFerrari as vintage cars, how our thought and opinions might have changed. 

I believe it has more to do with the effort that is put into it, which sometimes does correlate with the money invested in the project, but sometimes has more to do with the people involved in development, due to their skills and effort. 

As to the price requested by McLaren, all those companies are bound to earn money with their activities. Otherwise they go bankrupt. I doubt many people consider the manufacturing or development budget on an object at time of purchase, be it a car, jewelry or electronics. What is relevant is whether the price matches the quality and allure of the product, that, in my opinion, is what it boils down to.

Smiley

Fergie, yes, all the companies are working to gain profits, but in hypercar segment you can go 2 ways:

a) build a car and ask for double price (P1, LaF, Veneno case), because it is luxury and exclusive or...

b) build a car that makes money loss but moves profit into less expensive products, gaining brand or group prestige in technologies and know how (Veyron and 918)

Of course it is only my vision, I can be totally wrong here.Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Fergie, yes, all the companies are working to gain profits, but in hypercar segment you can go 2 ways:

a) build a car and ask for double price (P1, LaF, Veneno case), because it is luxury and exclusive or...

b) build a car that makes money loss but moves profit into less expensive products, gaining brand or group prestige in technologies and know how (Veyron and 918)

Buddy,

I hope it was autocorrection that called me "Fergie"! Smiley

In theory, your concept certainly looks attractive and I agree that I would prefer less strategy and marketing in today´s product offerings. Totally agree with that. I just don´t believe that one can, especially from the outside, judge the effort and investment that has been made on these cars. I also still believe that I am happily paying higher sums for a car that is superior in most relevant ways, maybe from a company whose principles I can strongly identify with, even if the car has been cheaper to develop. Effort and outcome do correlate but more of the former does not necessarily lead to the more of the latter.

kudryavchik:

I think that last part, "know how" is an important aspect of the 918, at least. It seems in large part an R&D project as much as anything. (Not that the finished product, as far as I can tell (since I haven't seen one in person) seems at all like a "rough" prototype.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvMvx4rbj0&feature=player_embedded

One new review from MT-great work from them btw...!
    5G my a..s :-)

Ferdie:

kudryavchik:

Buddy,

In theory, your concept certainly looks attractive and I agree that I would prefer less strategy and marketing in today´s product offerings. Totally agree with that. I just don´t believe that one can, especially from the outside, judge the effort and investment that has been made on these cars. I also still believe that I am happily paying higher sums for a car that is superior in most relevant ways, maybe from a company whose principles I can strongly identify with, even if the car has been cheaper to develop. Effort and outcome do correlate but more of the former does not necessarily lead to the more of the latter.

Oh, sorry please))) My mistake)))
    --

sportcars-history.com

Ferdie:

Smiley

I was too general in my last post. I mean more along the lines of what kudryavchik (dude can you use a simpler handle? took me 4 tries to type it correctlySmiley). The best halo car is one that not necessarily makes the parent car company money but one that makes their future regular cars better. A halo car is suppose to be a show case of what a car company can do.

The F40 wasn't a ground breaking halo car, it was more like a 'massaged' and updated 288 GTO. It has out of this world performance back then, but look deeper it's nothing more than the classic formula of more power and lighter weight. Nothing on it is at the cutting edge of car tech. If one wipes the Ferrari badge off it, it could just be another Mosler or Noble. 

McLaren F1 on the other hand is one hell of a tour de force car, everything on it is cutting edge, it's still THE halo car of all times, nothing even come close. 

All can agreed that the 959 was the halo car that best fit my idea of a halo car. It's legacy is long lasting, even now close to 30 years later. 

Carrera GT was a different animal, it was a savage operation to recover money from a stillborn racing program. It's still a fantastic sports car with a fantastic engine, but apart from some styling elements on the 918, nothing was passed down from it, it was a 'dead end'. 

If a Ferrari halo car doesn't carry a Ferrari badge, what do people think about their value retention/appreciation? Ferrari has one of the best brand power in the world, most people go crazy and dump crazy money on one, Ferrari knows that and manage their production number accordingly to further that cause. 

My personal view is that last year when I pick a halo car, I looked at them like I was going to buy a new watch, say Cartier watch. because of the technology and complexity involved, I see the 918 as Tank Solo with a automatic movement, while the P1 and to a certain extend the LaFerrari a Tank Solo with a quartz movement.  Both cost a few thousands but in my mind I am getting better 'value' on buying a automatic watch as quartz movements are dime a dozen and it's nothing more than a money grab form Cartier.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvMvx4rbj0&feature=player_embedded

"If this is the fire of hypercars, cool, future is gonna be good"

P.S. I give up trying to embed youtube, I suck. Embedding hates me.

Trying again......

--

Haha.

Suck it!!

I conquer embedding!!!!

--

Whoopsy:

Haha.

Suck it!!

I conquer embedding!!!!

Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Isn't too big, this embedding...? smiley

One step at a time, one step. 

7 plus years, my first ever post with a valid embedded youtube video.

--

Sorry, guys. surprise

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Whoopsy:

One step at a time, one step. 

7 plus years, my first ever post with a valid embedded youtube video.

not-worthy.gif

I know the feeling. The ultimate test is over. You passed.

Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

Whoopsy:

Haha.

Suck it!!

I conquer embedding!!!!

Congratulations! Its a great feeling when you nail a system!

Completely agree with your post about cars, I don't think I can add anything there. And comparison with watches was nice. It is matter of choice - primitive mechanically cartier with diamonds or supercomplicated Ulysse Nardin without stones... I would prefer the last.

--

sportcars-history.com

Ferdie:
    kudryavchik:

Buddy,

Of course the major thing is how a person correlates him/herself with the product, especially with such expensive one. What person likes or dislikes in the product and etc. But 2 points I have written are one of the components of "identification") I personally like an uncompromised approach to build things, unfortunately at this moment I cant even buy myself a Cayman (in Russia it costs almost 90000 USD, maybe in a year or two, I believe in my 24 I have enough time), what to say about 918))) But, if I have chosen between these 3, I would certainly chose 918, because Porsche brand is close to my taste. 911, f.e. is a car that Justin Bieber will not buy, and thanks to God that it is so)))

--

sportcars-history.com

So the cat is out of the bag.

My wife was in the kitchen prepping school lunch for my boys, I am in the office talking on the phone with a friend and mentioned about the incoming 918. When I walked back to the kitchen I think she heard me and demanded to know what car is incoming and how much I am spending again while pointing a big ass 14in bread knife at me. Oops.

So I came clean and told her the details, and then mentioned I used her birthday as my car number, she was like gone from kinda mad to super mellow and like oh that's sweet. haha.

--

Nice! Handled like an experienced professional!

Whoopsy:

My wife was in the kitchen prepping school lunch for my boys, I am in the office talking on the phone with a friend and mentioned about the incoming 918. When I walked back to the kitchen I think she heard me and demanded to know what car is incoming and how much I am spending again while pointing a big ass 14in bread knife at me. Oops.

So I came clean and told her the details, and then mentioned I used her birthday as my car number, she was like gone from kinda mad to super mellow and like oh that's sweet. haha.

I wish I could get off that easily Smiley

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

That's easy. Just marry a lady born on 18 September and you'll walk it. 

--

fritz

Whoopsy:

...and here I thought having EUR 800k for a car is the challenge Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Helps when she realized what she got from me last Valentine's Day.

--

That was easy , specially for a car that cost 4 times more then your regulars …….. , but obviously you know very well how to talk to your wife . Congratulations .

My wife was not very happy about me spending on a GT3 RS ( first time she ever said anything ) . Yesterday I showed her a 997 GT3 RS at my dealer …. and now she understands  indecision  Maybe it helped that two hours before we had just signed for her dream mountain chalet that she will get on her birthday ( coincidence )  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Maybe it helped that two hours before we had just signed for her dream mountain chalet that she will get on her birthday ( coincidence )  

Congratulations! Smiley

--

Previous

bluelines:
    Gnil:

Maybe it helped that two hours before we had just signed for her dream mountain chalet that she will get on her birthday ( coincidence )  

Congratulations! Smiley

I don't think it is an even and fair trade-off, a Swiss chalet in exchange for a GT3 RS SmileySmiley

Nevertheless, I wish you enjoy both Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Glad to hear people are living the good life! Send a thank you note to Obama.smiley

Gnil:

That was easy , specially for a car that cost 4 times more then your regulars …….. , but obviously you know very well how to talk to your wife . Congratulations .

My wife was not very happy about me spending on a GT3 RS ( first time she ever said anything ) . Yesterday I showed her a 997 GT3 RS at my dealer …. and now she understands  indecision  Maybe it helped that two hours before we had just signed for her dream mountain chalet that she will get on her birthday ( coincidence )  

16 years of marriage and 18 years total together, we wouldn't have lasted that long if I didn't know how to 'manipulate' and steering her thoughts haha.

Always helps when I offset the shock with something she likes first. Planting seeds and paving the road well beforehand. Timing works as I left plenty of time in between so most major gift giving dates are done, birthday, anniversary, Christmas. Was gonna tell her after this coming Valentine's Day but I guess the previous saved up credits are enough.

It still wasn't that easy, had to talk her through some boy stuff, like car posters we all put on walls as a kid and explain to her that the 918 is one of those car poster cars and I can finally put one of those in the garage.

I also show her all the brochures and literatures Porsche sent me on the 918 plus show her internet pictures of the car, she think it looks fantastic even when she is not a car person. She likes the 918 the best out of the 3, she thinks the P1 looks just like my 12C and the LaFerrari looks like it was draw by our 5 year old boy.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436210 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260910 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257867 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82581 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876608 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808570 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM