Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Döttingerhöhe top Speed with 289kmh is as fast as for example a cls63 amg with performancpack, and if i remember well as fast as the old 997 Turbo S..

Track temperatre 13degrees looks fine. I wonder if the gearing is longer in the 991 Turbo ,s than the 997tubo s gearing.

BiTurbo:
    J.Seven:
    RC:
    J.Seven:
    Mullh:

Car had over 600 EWG-hp in the test, a bit much for my liking… Would have suspected a lower lap time indeed (on the Nordschleife)… 

Are you saying the 991TTS tested had more than 600Hp Smiley

J.Seven

It was to be excepted that the new (old) engine runs pretty well, the enthusiasm of the development team was way too high ("the whole package, it just runs so well, we don't know why but it does...") I always suspected that my car has more than 560 hp, the car is just too quick and the 0-160 kph and 100 to 200 kph acceleration figures (both below 7 seconds...6.4x and 6.5x seconds or something like that) were way too good for a 560 hp car.

So I can assure you that if the tested 991 Turbo S had over 600 hp in the Supertest, customer cars shouldn't be behind. Smiley My car proves it.

The legal situation is pretty simple: According to EU law, the engine can have up to 5% more or 5% less power. However and now you really need to understand this: The basis for this 5% more or less is the engine which has been tested for the certification. So if the certification engine had let's say 588 hp (which would be the nominal power of 560 hp plus the 5% tolerance), a production series engine can have up to 617 hp. Legally. Smiley

So why didn't Porsche certify the engine with a higher power? Well, one can only speculate.

Maybe the engine is at it's power peak (which I suspect) and there isn't much left for the facelift (real power, not power on paper). Maybe they didn't want to make the new Huracan and Audi R8 look bad (don't forget that Porsche is part of the big VW Group family).

Another possibility: Since this is not a brand-new engine but a new engine based on the previous 997.2 Turbo DFi engine, it may just work pretty well and the whole "package" just runs very effectively (something I heard from development, apparently they were surprised themselves how well it runs).

Let's just be glad we have more and not less power. Smiley

As to the lap time on the Nordschleife: The time is indeed not very impressive and doesn't add up with the time in Hockenheim, especially considering the fact that the time has been achieved with UHP tires. I haven't read the Supertest yet, so I will comment on it as soon as I read the whole Supertest. Maybe the asphalt temperature wasn't ideal for the UHP tires, this would be a possibility. Everything below 20°C isn't really that good for UHP tires, even if they build up heat during driving and thus more grip. Not sure what the ideal temp specs are for the Dunlop though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

It´s official, I´ll contract you for my new precious and very persuasive lawyer  Smiley Smiley Smiley

991TTS has indeed an amazing performance, no doubt about that, but do you really believe in all you´ve just wroteSmiley You´ve been complaining ever since you got your car that Porsche should have put 991TTS with 600Hp from standard on the market for the well known reasons, and now you just think it´s perfectly normal this tested car to have MORE than 600Hp Smiley Ferrari 458 have similar performance to 991TTS, so we can assume Ferrari is on the 600Hp region too Smiley Mclaren is way faster than 991TTS from 100Kph up, so we can assume is has also way more than 625Hp Smiley I can only imagine what you would say if Sport Auto would test a 458 with + 600Hp on Dyno Smiley Smiley

I wont say 991TTS my have few more ponies than the stated 560Hp, but 40Hp more from standard cars without any mod, is hard to believe!!!! If true, good Job from Porsche Smiley Smiley Smiley

J.Seven

According to Sport-Auto Supertest  607ps & 784Nm (8.4% more)

this is all number crunching to the extreme. where is the fun factor in all this? of course the MP4-12C, GT3 and F458 beat the turbo S in the fun department (obviously on dry roads and even more so on wet roadsSmiley 20, for the fun of it...yes...not for the speed) and in the poseur department (see a few postings above Smiley 21) but the turbo S still rules in the overall mindless-speed-competition,......at least i hope for RC and followers (i didn't check the numbers of the supertest, it is just too boring). very soon we shall see a test 'turbo S beats 458 speciale in test on road with 5cm snow cover', and then so what????

all those cars are fast, you just choose the one you like....

did i got that wright, the say (spot Auto) 991 gt2 is already projected, so we still can hope for a 991 gt2

Dario:

did i got that wright, the say (spot Auto) 991 gt2 is already projected, so we still can hope for a 991 gt2

Porsche 911 Product Manager Says New GT2 In Doubt

RC already told us no GT2 awhile ago - I guess probably a GT2RS with well over 600hp and much much lighter than the TTS...

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

that sucks.

991 turbo s is tad faster than 997 turbo s. Sometimes I measured my 997 turbo s at 2,9 secs for 0-100, 9.7 secs for 0-200, and 27 secs for 0-290. How could it be?

artur777:

991 turbo s is tad faster than 997 turbo s. Sometimes I measured my 997 turbo s at 2,9 secs for 0-100, 9.7 secs for 0-200, and 27 secs for 0-290. How could it be?

I found the Old supertest of the 997 turbo and turbos

döttingrrhöhe 997 turbo 288 km/h and 997 turbo s 295 kmh, so at this point on a different Day the 997 turbo s is 6 km/h faster than the 991 turbo s .  Maybe additional downforce makes the 991 slower at highspeed, or gearing or extra features like aws, witch i guess needs aswell a few horses.

6kmh in does Speed ranges should be noticable if someone is interested in highspeed. Would be curios to see 0-300 997 vs 991

Dario:
    artur777:

döttingrrhöhe 997 turbo 288 km/h and 997 turbo s 295 kmh, so at this point on a different Day the 997 turbo s is 6 km/h faster than the 991 turbo s .  Maybe additional downforce makes the 991 slower at highspeed, or gearing or extra features like aws, witch i guess needs aswell a few horses.

6kmh in does Speed ranges should be noticable if someone is interested in highspeed. Would be curios to see 0-300 997 vs 991

Very interesting, agree. 991 turbo s would be a little bit faster

artur777:
    Dario:
    artur777:

Very interesting, agree. 991 turbo s would be a little bit faster

Could it be that the TTS was driven in Sport Plus mode on the Nordschleife, with the front and rear spoilers fully deployed? That would explain a higher drag and therefore lower top speed.

Maybe here is where the answer is hidden Smiley

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/2014-porsche-991-911-turbo-s-dyno

Guys, the asphalt temperature during the test was 15°C, too cold for the UHP tires to perform very well.

I also get the feeling that this test has been done under these conditions for a reason but I better keep my mouth shut. angry

During Porsche internal comparison tests, the 991 Turbo S was always faster than the 991 GT3 on the Nordschleife with the same tire type and now I shut up. 

I don't want another number crunching discussion to start where everyone seems to know the answer but me. 

wink

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

artur777:

In a direct comparison, side by side, the 991 Turbo S and the 997 Turbo S were very close to each other up to 230 kph or so, with the 997 Turbo S falling behind by may half a car length to 200 kph (honestly, not more) but over 230 kph, the 991 Turbo S moved away quite steadily and at around 300 kph on the speedo, the 997 Turbo S was a couple of car lengths behind. This is a real life experience but since one 997 Turbo S engine can be on the upper power side and one 991 Turbo S engine can be on the lower power side, it could also be that up to 200 kph, both cars have the same performance. Over 230 kph however, things look differently since the 991 Turbo S has more boost pressure.

Caution: If Sport Plus is active, Active Aerodynamics is in maximum downforce (track) mode and acceleration times will be slower, especially up to 300 kph and over.

As to 0-200 kph times for the 997 Turbo S: I have never seen a review with a time under 10 seconds, not even by car magazines who test with the driver only. As a comparison: The 997 GT2 RS does 0-200 kph in 9.7 seconds. Just to get a perspective why it is impossible.

Last time I checked, the 997 Turbo S was around 3-5 seconds slower from 0-300 kph than the 991 Turbo S, depending on the review.

Maybe we should really stop this number crunching (I like this expression) because it isn't helpful, especially if we compare results from one review with others. Useless and pointless.

The strong points of the new 991 Turbo S are the modern exterior, the highly improved chassis and especially AWD/PTM system incl. much better comfort, the improved PDK system and of course the emotional part. 

Don't forget that, even if this may not be important, this car already achieves the EU6 emissions class.

--

war_hawk:

Maybe here is where the answer is hidden Smiley

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/2014-porsche-991-911-turbo-s-dyno

Since they haven't tested both cars back to back, the results aren't exactly scientific. If you want a fair comparison, you need to put the engines on an engine dyno. Also, some 991 Turbo S engines may produce power on the lower side, some 997 Turbo S engines may produce power on the upper side and vice versa. Comparing a 991 Turbo S with 560 hp to a let's assume 997 Turbo S with 545 hp, doesn't really make sense. We could also compare a 991 Turbo S with 580 hp to a 997 Turbo S with 530 hp, if you get my point.

So pointless, sorry.

--

EnglishManInNY:

RC already told us no GT2 awhile ago - I guess probably a GT2RS with well over 600hp and much much lighter than the TTS...

Both, GT2 and GT2 RS are "under consideration", whatever this means.

At some point I heard that the GT2 would be too close to 991 Turbo S performance but you never know if Porsche made up their mind. I am pretty sure that they build whatever the market is asking for. Smiley Smiley

--

Grant:
    nberry:

So which car is faster around the Ring (like I care)? The GT3 or the TTS?

I find it very odd that so many test have substantially different results.

If the test results show a delta of 2 seconds around the 'Ring, I would conclude that they are fundamentally the same (with respect to laptime).  I would focus more on how the cars feel differently while lapping at about the same pace.

This is actually a very good point you made. Smiley

--

Hate to repeat myself but  I've been always saying how one must be careful putting too much focus on Ring times, for various reasons. Not to mention the fact that over such a long distance, a few seconds is absolutely nothing. 

And that I tend to listen to what Porsche declares vs SA and how I focus more of BIG variations in "times" - declared vs tested, as RED FLAGS. Again, I don't care about this stuff that much anyway - I couldn't possibly achieve what these experts do. It is more about how I enjoy driving the car at normal speeds.

Something is definitely going on when I read this stuff about registered speeds on the RING (991 vs 997) while 0-300 times are significantly better for the 991tts???? Time-to-distance is the way to go, IMO. Again, it amazes me how I read about these incredible 0-200 (or 0-125mph) times of 10 or less seconds but then over 1/4 mile the car "only" achieves 11s/128mph. Do the math - these findings just don't measure up. Would it really take an additional second to gain only 3mph???

FWIW, as for hp - rwhp is THE figure to use, not "crank" hp IMHO. What's wrong with comparing figures achieved on the same dyno - even on different days. Sure, there will always be a variation but not much. 

I still feel there is something going on with the "over boost" of the new 991tts. Would be extremely easy for Porsche to extend the boost on certain press cars - just can't believe the 31s 0-300 time. Too close of the CGT IMO. 

mp:

just can't believe the 31s 0-300 time. Too close of the CGT IMO. 

May I ask what you find unbelievable about this time ? too slow or fast and why ? for PDK 560PS looks about right Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

mp:

Hate to repeat myself but  I've been always saying how one must be careful putting too much focus on Ring times, for various reasons. Not to mention the fact that over such a long distance, a few seconds is absolutely nothing. 

And that I tend to listen to what Porsche declares vs SA and how I focus more of BIG variations in "times" - declared vs tested, as RED FLAGS. Again, I don't care about this stuff that much anyway - I couldn't possibly achieve what these experts do. It is more about how I enjoy driving the car at normal speeds.

Something is definitely going on when I read this stuff about registered speeds on the RING (991 vs 997) while 0-300 times are significantly better for the 991tts???? Time-to-distance is the way to go, IMO. Again, it amazes me how I read about these incredible 0-200 (or 0-125mph) times of 10 or less seconds but then over 1/4 mile the car "only" achieves 11s/128mph. Do the math - these findings just don't measure up. Would it really take an additional second to gain only 3mph???

FWIW, as for hp - rwhp is THE figure to use, not "crank" hp IMHO. What's wrong with comparing figures achieved on the same dyno - even on different days. Sure, there will always be a variation but not much. 

I still feel there is something going on with the "over boost" of the new 991tts. Would be extremely easy for Porsche to extend the boost on certain press cars - just can't believe the 31s 0-300 time. Too close of the CGT IMO. 

Nothing is going on here, the 991 Turbo S does 0-300 kph in 31 seconds (actually there are other reviews at 30.4 and 29.7 seconds), it is amazingly fast from 0-300 kph and yes, the Carrera GT cannot outrun me up to 300 kph (actually over 315 kph on my speedo) and yes, we tested it. Real life experience. There was no speed range (under the 315 kph on the speedo) where the CGT actually was able to outrun me...or even get closer. In the 30 to 200 kph run (speedo values), the CGT lost about half a car length.

My car is not a press car and I wouldn't even start speculating on Porsche giving me a better car because they don't. It would be way too dangerous if a customer car delivers more power than it should, a liability issue. I cannot exclude that my car runs better than others, it really runs well but this can happen for other customer cars too.

The car tested in Sport Auto had much less power, slightly over 560 hp. Period. You can read into that what you want but the 991 Turbo S really runs well and whoever had met one on the street, actually knows that. Btw: The best quartermile time I've seen on a customer car was 10.63 seconds. Just for the book. Speed was 206 kph or so, I don't remember the precise number anymore.

Dyno measurements are for cracker-barrel discussions, not worth much, unless done back to back under the same conditions in the same day and/or on engine dynos. There is a huge industry however which tells you otherwise...of course. Smiley There is an error margin, which needs to be corrected (as far as possible), this is where the error with the 607 hp measurement for the 991 Turbo S in Sport Auto happened but do the math yourself: The 991 Turbo S has claimed 560 hp. 1% of 560 hp is already 5.6 hp. So let's say there is a real error of 3% only, this is already almost 17 hp difference. At 5% error, we are already looking at an error of 28 hp. If those operating the dyno do correction factors wrong (like in the SA test), the results can be even much more higher or lower.

Sorry but dyno measurements are nice for bragging, like in this forum but otherwise, they don't say much. Oh, they help sell aftermarket exhaust systems and tuning stuff. Smiley

--

TB993tt:
    mp:

May I ask what you find unbelievable about this time ? too slow or fast and why ? for PDK 560PS looks about right Smiley

The time is just fine, as you said. People love to speculate and to build conspiracy theories. Smiley

--

RC:
    TB993tt:
    mp:

The time is just fine, as you said. People love to speculate and to build conspiracy theories. Smiley

So he means the 991ttS is too close to the CGT as in the CGT should be faster Smiley

CGT takes 34s, it has very high drag with CDA of 0.74 compared to about 0.6 for the 991ttS, the CGT has a lot of downforce which slows it down very noticeably over 250kph plus one spends an additional couple of seconds changing gear in the CGT

interesting data on CGT drag.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aerodatabaseporschecarreragt04.html

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Funny enough, I actually think that the 991 Turbo S would be even faster from 0-300 kph in Sport mode and not Sport Plus mode, the mode all car magazines usually use for their performance data recording. Could be worth an experiment (maybe someone working at a car magazine is reading this). 

Regarding the Carrera GT, one last word: While it may not be the fastest anymore from 0-200 or 0-300 kph and slower than the 991 Turbo S, on the track, the CGT still rocks. Look at the Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs time for the CGT and Turbo S with UHP tires. People shouldn't forget that the CGT is now almost 11 years old. Quite impressive for an 11 years old car, don't you think?! 

--

RC:

Funny enough, I actually think that the 991 Turbo S would be even faster from 0-300 kph in Sport mode and not Sport Plus mode, the mode all car magazines usually use for their performance data recording. Could be worth an experiment (maybe someone working at a car magazine is reading this). 

Because of the increased drag and downforce of the aero? Shift points? Combination of factors?

RC:

Regarding the Carrera GT, one last word: While it may not be the fastest anymore from 0-200 or 0-300 kph and slower than the 991 Turbo S, on the track, the CGT still rocks. Look at the Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs time for the CGT and Turbo S with UHP tires. People shouldn't forget that the CGT is now almost 11 years old. Quite impressive for an 11 years old car, don't you think?! 

RC - I always thought hp-to weight helped determine a car's potential. If you believe rwhp means nothing, that's your choice. Yes, gearing, aerodynamics play into it as well. The CGT weighs approximately 200kg less than the tts, with  50hp more. It has a higher top speed, even with its increased drag. Was your modified 997tt, with 550hp also faster than the CGT? Surely 10hp difference couldn't make any difference? As I said, something is UP with some of these 991tts performance figures? Some extra boost or longer overboost? 

Obviously not all 991tts' tested are proving to be as fast. That IS my point. But, enjoy your car, since it appears to be performing well. That's all I am saying.

apias:
    RC:

Because of the increased drag and downforce of the aero? Shift points? Combination of factors?

Mostly because of the increased downforce. It certainly should play a  significant role but this is why this should be tested by a car magazine, it could be fun (and interesting).

--

RC:
    apias:
    RC:

Mostly because of the increased downforce. It certainly should play a  significant role but this is why this should be tested by a car magazine, it could be fun (and interesting).

The main problem would be that Launch Control requires Sport Plus to be on, which activates the aero components, and they partially activate automatically at 120kph otherwise. Is there a way to disable the aero in those conditions? It does seem as though it should theoretically be faster in a straight line without it. It would certainly be interesting to see the test results.

mp:
    RC:

RC - I always thought hp-to weight helped determine a car's potential. If you believe rwhp means nothing, that's your choice. Yes, gearing, aerodynamics play into it as well. The CGT weighs approximately 200kg less than the tts, with  50hp more. It has a higher top speed, even with its increased drag. Was your modified 997tt, with 550hp also faster than the CGT? Surely 10hp difference couldn't make any difference? As I said, something is UP with some of these 991tts performance figures? Some extra boost or longer overboost? 

Obviously not all 991tts' tested are proving to be as fast. That IS my point. But, enjoy your car, since it appears to be performing well. That's all I am saying.

The tested 991 Turbo S had only very little above stock power. Yes, my car runs pretty well but not much much better than the tested car, maybe my car has (theoretically) 20 hp more. Maybe. The 0-300 kph figure is only a couple of seconds better than the one of the 997 Turbo S, so I really don't know why you doubt the 31 seconds. Smiley 31 seconds is good for a stock car but not sensationally good. The 29.7 seconds achieved by AutoBILD Sportscars may have been achieved in Sport mode and not Sport Plus (Active Aerodynamics in track mode with maximum downforce) but on the other hand, the car tested by Sport Auto has been tested with the driver and a passenger, the other car apparently not. Not that it really makes that much of a difference to 300 kph but it could. 

All I know is that my car, a customer car (I'm not working for Porsche and I have no press car, not even bought/leased my car through the press program they have), runs very well. The 0-160 and 100 to 200 kph measurements are a little bit better than on the car tested in Sport Auto and I used Sport Plus mode (no launch control though!!!), not Sport mode for the measurements. Yes, I am very happy with the performance of my car but like I said before, the car is nothing special. I may get a special treatment from time to time when I have issues but so do all good customers. No big deal.

The fact that I get a lot of rumors and information from sources close to Porsche means only that people trust me and people appreciate my opinion from time to time. This doesn't mean I have any business ties with Porsche, other than leaving my hard earned money with them when the itching starts again. Smiley

So as much as I wish I would get a "better" car, I probably won't. Only my Panamera Turbo S was something special because it had a turbo charger mod which was necessary because the supplier of "titan" chargers couldn't deliver the quality and Porsche had to change the production process in order to deliver some remaining (7?) cars to customers. This Panamera was really fast but Porsche was under pressure to deliver the customer cars and they couldn't risk to delver inferior cars to customers, could they? I wish I could have kept that car, it was really amazing (power-wise).

Interesting story: December 2012, I spontaneously got myself a Cayenne GTS out of the dealer's new car arrivals. After a couple of weeks, I met the guy on the road who bought my dealer's first Cayenne GTS in a very special color. On the Autobahn, I had my kids and my wife with me, I was always slightly faster than him up to any speed range. This was pretty weird. I know that asked my dealer about it. My Cayenne GTS was really quite fast, in the speed range over 180 kph, the car reached it's top speed (267 or something) quite fast. Apparently I picked up a powerful engine but the difference much have been at least 30 hp to be such a difference. Weird. It can happen. I was lucky (or the other guy was unlucky, I don't know).

Smiley

--

apias:
    RC:
    apias:
    RC:

The main problem would be that Launch Control requires Sport Plus to be on, which activates the aero components, and they partially activate automatically at 120kph otherwise. Is there a way to disable the aero in those conditions? It does seem as though it should theoretically be faster in a straight line without it. It would certainly be interesting to see the test results.

With launch control active and a full acceleration from standstill, the Active Aerodynamics are fully deployed when the car reaches 160 kph. It is possible to switch to Sport mode or turn Sport/Sport Plus off at this point but only up to 270 kph. Over 270 kph, the Active Aerodynamics system cannot be operated, meaning that it stays in the previously selected position. This is for safety reasons.

--

RC:
    apias:
    RC:
    apias:
    RC:

With launch control active and a full acceleration from standstill, the Active Aerodynamics are fully deployed when the car reaches 160 kph. It is possible to switch to Sport mode or turn Sport/Sport Plus off at this point but only up to 270 kph. Over 270 kph, the Active Aerodynamics system cannot be operated, meaning that it stays in the previously selected position. This is for safety reasons.

Ah, I thought turning on Sport Plus fully deployed the aero (so, Launch Control = aero fully deployed from start), but, perhaps I misread that. But, anyway, you're saying some "fancy" finger work on the buttons could keep it at least minimized. Someone should definitely do this and publish the results.

Maybe I explained it a little bit wrong:

When you press Sport Plus, the active aerodynamics is FULLY deployed, even if you don't drive.

However: If you press Sport Plus and start off from standstill immediately, the car reaches 160 kph when active aerodynamics is fully deployed. This is the reason why the active aerodynamics track mode (Sport Plus) doesn't retract the aerodynamics when slowing down. It is a safety feature because the deployment speed cannot keep up with the acceleration.  If you want more details on that, you need to ask a Porsche engineer. 

Even without launch control, the 991 Turbo S starts off quite fast but actually gains "momentum" at around 50 kph. So the testing could be done without launch control, to make it easier for the testers. They could start without launch control in Sport Plus and then in Sport mode and see how fast the 991 Turbo S goes from the 0-300 kph. The final result may be half a second or maybe even a second (I highly doubt it) slower than with launch control) but we would have a comparison between Sport Plus (active aerodynamics in track mode and fully deployed) and Sport (active aerodynamics in highway/highspeed mode). Actually, Porsche recommends the Sport mode for Autobahn driving.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759625 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433755 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256888 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80598 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870700 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805711 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM