Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2014 Porsche Targa Debut

Turbo Targa in Geneva??

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-might-unveil-an-awesome-roofed-911-targa-turbo-1531690387?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&a...

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

I've seen the world premieres at the Geneva Motor Show's website and shows that PAG is going to unveil the Macan S   Diesel!! 

Really Porsche?!?! Really!?! mail

I actually hope they make the Turbo Targa - but wouldn't personally order it over a TTS Cab (mine should be here tomorrow at the dealer :)

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

RodoRS:

I've seen the world premieres at the Geneva Motor Show's website and shows that PAG is going to unveil the Macan S   Diesel!! 

Yes, it will be an exciting show this year Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    RodoRS:

Now now. That's better than if they unveiled the 991 diesel. Smiley

chuckb:
    bluelines:
    RodoRS:

Now now. That's better than if they unveiled the 991 dieselSmiley

SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Does anyone have Turbo Targa at Geneva  rumor confirmation from his source? My source said he don't have a clue when Turbo Targa will be revealed...yes

--

SportCarGroup:

Does anyone have Turbo Targa at Geneva  rumor confirmation from his source? My source said he don't have a clue when Turbo Targa will be revealed...yes

--

A lot can change for Geneva, Porsche needs something to distract the press. Smiley This is what I would do.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bluelines:
    RodoRS:

I´ll be there on 10 and 11th. Anyone knows if 918, P1 and Laferrari will be there? Anyway I believe this year the Huracan will be the star there followed by California T Smiley 

--

J.Seven

Here's some info about Porsche at Geneva:

Worldwide motorsport programme: premiere for the 919 Hybrid and 911 RSR

Stuttgart. At this year’s Geneva Motor Show Porsche is putting the focus on its return to the world of motorsports. The highlight is the world premiere of the new Porsche 919 Hybrid for the top category of the sports car World Endurance Championship (WEC) in 2014, with the 24 Hours of Le Mans as the undisputed highlight of the season. The new efficiency-based regulations of the WEC stipulate innovative hybrid drives. The 919 Hybrid can therefore be regarded as a research laboratory for the technology of future production vehicles. The innovative prototype will be flanked on the stage in Geneva by the Porsche 911 RSR, as it will in all eight WEC races. What’s more, Porsche is presenting the Macan S Diesel1) to the public for the first time, whilst the 911 Targa2) is celebrating its European debut.

--

I was surprised at how attractive the Targa was on the Porsche stand at Geneva.  The slope of the rear glass is perfectly integrated into the rear deck, and the glass adds a real feeling of space and freshness.  This car, IMHO, is better overall than a Cab, which though improved, still has a slight interruption of line from top to rear deck.  

No SPASM on the Targa.....can't take the cowl shake - just like the cab?

Some new pics!! wink

II REAR LEFT ANGLE Basalt Black 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4S 3.8 (991 MkI).jpgIII FRONT LEFT ANGLE Sapphire Blue 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4 3.4 (991 MkI).jpgIV FRONT LEFT ANGLE Sapphire Blue 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4 3.4 (991 MkI).jpgV FRONT LEFT ANGLE Sapphire Blue 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4 3.4 (991 MkI).jpgIII FRONT RIGHT ANGLE Basalt Black 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4S 3.8 (991 MkI).jpgIII FRONT LEFT ANGLE Basalt Black 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4S 3.8 (991 MkI).jpgIV FRONT RIGHT ANGLE Basalt Black 2015 PORSCHE 911 Targa 4S 3.8 (991 MkI).jpg

--

RodoRS -> 

Wonderbar:

I was surprised at how attractive the Targa was on the Porsche stand at Geneva.  The slope of the rear glass is perfectly integrated into the rear deck, and the glass adds a real feeling of space and freshness.  This car, IMHO, is better overall than a Cab, which though improved, still has a slight interruption of line from top to rear deck.  

Still not a fan of the aluminum - colored Targa hoop , but I will say it looks really good with Agate Grey with bright silver wheels . ( Fans of dark/platimum /black wheels would probably prefer a factory option of matte black hoop , IMO. )

MKW:
    Wonderbar:

Still not a fan of the aluminum - colored Targa hoop , but I will say it looks really good with Agate Grey with bright silver wheels . ( Fans of dark/platimum /black wheels would probably prefer a factory option of matte black hoop , IMO. )

+1

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Also, not a fan of the additional weight of the Targa roof. angry

--

RC:

Also, not a fan of the additional weight of the Targa roof. angry

well Targa and Cab buyers are looking for a different ownership experience - even Turbo version buyers and so it has been through the decades

Speaking of weight, my '87 911 weighed a " porky " stock 2700 lbs ( 1220 kg ) !

might be a repost: WLS is now available for the Targa. Good to compensate for the extra weight 

Please excuse my ignorance.

whats is wls?

thanks

steelested:

Please excuse my ignorance.

whats is wls?

thanks

Werkleistungssteigerung. In other words X51 or powerkit Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Thanks 

kiss

Porsche 911 Targa 4S review by Evo...

"Tiff Needell reviews the Porsche 911 4S Targa, and finds out how well it matches up against previous 911 models..."

Porsche 911 Targa 4S review by Evo -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

How can you review a targa and conclude that he would go with  "a proper man's car" a Aston...

Very stupid comment - as a reviewer you should be judging the car and don't add at the end yr personal favorite

BjoernB:

How can you review a targa and conclude that he would go with  "a proper man's car" a Aston...

Very stupid comment - as a reviewer you should be judging the car and don't add at the end yr personal favorite

+1

Also: He is always too much focussed on track perfirmance, in this case he talks too much about the weight of the car. Yes it adds a lot of weight, but people that want a Targa are not looking for a track car or the best handling 911 money can buy. Probably that's all because he's a frustrated, failed racing driver.... Smiley

--

Suzy

Tiff likes sports cars and you don't need a track to enjoy them daily.

The new Targa is shambolic. Tiff pointed out that the Targa S version as slow a non S Cab, yet costs thousands more than the S cab. Handling ability is below all other 991's. Its the most costly and the worst performing NA 991 variant. He's right. It seems a patently obvious attempt to exploit Iconic Porsche styling in a car that costs more and delivers less. He was repulsed by that concept. He didn't want to say it, but I will. Its a 4 wheel bitch box and for a 991 sports car its a rip off. 991s are sports cars, are they not?

Thinking of buying one? Think about repairing or adjusting that complex roof system out of warranty? Resale will also be a  cliff jumping experience. Insurers will likely ask a extra premium for it as well due to way higher collision repair costs.

Why did Porsche not make it with a folding detachable roof panel and save weight and complexity? Think manicure, hands getting dirty. Oh the anguish of Frau so and so getting her pretty hands dusty.

The new Targa is really targeted at lux buyers who carry small dogs in their handbags. Woof Woof, its a dog.

I fully agree that the roof mechanism is way too heavy and it didn't need to be that way. A manually detachable panel would have done the job just as well IMHO. But as a reviewer he sucks. Not only in this review, but also on the Fifth gear TV show.  

The Targa is indeed targated to a different kind of people than the ones who would buy a coupe, but I'll bet that even the top-heavy Targa handles better than a lot of other so called "sports cars".  

I like the looks of the Targa very much, but I wouldn't want one for the reasons you point out. It's too complex, but as an alternative for the cab (which I still don't like, even with the better looking roof) the Targa is a nice car. Still my vote goes to a Boxster. Same open-air feel, but a lot nice to look at and to drive in..... (i might be biased though...) 

--

Suzy

I like the look of the Targa also, but its actual execution is a horrid fail.. You could compare it to other sports cars but its still in the 911 catalog, so I think its fair to condemn it for costing so much and offering so little back as part of the 911 family. It could have been done so much better.

The 991 cabs awkward roof line could be fixed very easily. Make it a manual operated top. Even Porsche engineers could design a easy to use manual soft top and re angle the rear deck slope and rear seat backs to a normal angle. Or maybe Porsche engineers are now "cab challenged", look at that crazy tent like contraption on the Boxster Spyder.

Hate on Tiff all you want. He's paid to give editorial not, not to be a roped goat. In UK automotive circles he is more than credible. Read his bio, you will see why. If there is someone on Rennteam, or at another media doing car tests with more race car and track time let us know.Smiley

Stupid?Why? Isn't their personal preference what all these clips (Tiff, Harris,…) where it's all about? 

They judge and give their personal view, that's how it works. Nobody says you need to agree with their views. Smiley

JimFlat6:

I like the look of the Targa also, but its actual execution is a horrid fail.. You could compare it to other sports cars but its still in the 911 catalog, so I think its fair to condemn it for costing so much and offering so little back as part of the 911 family. It could have been done so much better.

The 991 cabs awkward roof line could be fixed very easily. Make it a manual operated top. Even Porsche engineers could design a easy to use manual soft top and re angle the rear deck slope and rear seat backs to a normal angle. Or maybe Porsche engineers are now "cab challenged", look at that crazy tent like contraption on the Boxster Spyder.

Hate on Tiff all you want. He's paid to give editorial not, not to be a roped goat. In UK automotive circles he is more than credible. Read his bio, you will see why. If there is someone on Rennteam, or at another media doing car tests with more race car and track time let us know.Smiley

What has race car seat time to do with reviewing a car? I want to know how a car is in the real world, not on a race track. Too many of these reviews are based on track performance. How many of 911 owners do actually track their cars on a regular base? If I want a track car, I wouldn't even buy a Porsche at all. There are much better alternatives. 

Don 't get me wrong. I like him being honest, but it's a review that didn't tell me anything about the Targa, other than Tiff thinks it's heavy. I already knew that! How is the car as a daily driver? Hiw does it compare to the cabriolet (same price and only slightly less heavy)? Gives the car a different feel than a convertible with the wind deflector up?  Those are things that matter for future buyers of this car. They don'r care about the extra weight. A reviewer has to understand the demographic the car is aimed at. You don't go review a Bentley Continental and complain it's heavy.... Or a Prius and complain it doesn't handle well. The Targa is still more sportscar than the Aston he mentions. That's a true GT car... Something the  991 also has become over the last generations, but still it is more sportscar than any Aston martin. Oh and Btw... I love Aston Martin, but they're different cars.

--

Suzy

totally agree with you.

I currently have the 991s coupe and I am a potential customer.

Although I love driving Porsche, the fact is, most of the time, I am driving around town.

On the occasion, I enjoy the car properly in the country and I am sure the Targa would be fantastic.

In reality then, my main concerns are, wind noise, power and believe it or not, operating the roof whilst moving.

Purists may laugh and call me a poser or similar but I truly love the drive of a porsche and am not temped by other brands at the moment.

Targa turbo would win me over (as I am going from a carrera s)  and hopefully a slightly better solution for wind noise.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661105 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254556 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    228979 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59322 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853293 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761354 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM