Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2014 Porsche Targa Debut

does anyone know if the 20" Sport Classic wheels will be offered for 991's besides the Turbo?  That could be an exceptional combination paired with the targa!

CGX car nut:
    Enmanuel:
    Lars997:

How the mechanic works:

That video completely sells the Targa to architects.  Smiley

Of course, the Calatrava designed Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Museum of Art has myriad issues and is seldom opened or closed because of higher than expected maintenance costs.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/10/01/murphys-law-the-high-cost-of-calatrava/

Seems like the perfect analogy for Porsche given the company's recent past history with coolant pipes on the Cayenne and IMS/RMS issues on the 996/997.

Thanks for pointing that out! I knew the Hémispheric in Valencia, but ddn't know the other building... Looks like another item on the to-do list. I visited the Ciudad de las Artes y las Sciencias in Valencia and loved every second of it. Milwaukee Museum of Art seems to be another one of those fantastic buildings to go see (from an aesthetic point of view)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

The online brochure says that the Targa top opens in about 20 seconds "while the car is stationary".  I would guess that that answers the question about whether the top can be opened/closed while the car is in motion.

--

09 Porsche 911 Targa 4S
    02 Porsche 911 Targa - Retired
    13 BMW M5

German on-line configurator shows no option for matte black Targa hoop - disappointed . Don't wanna paint it aftermarket , esp if paint shop has to R/R some critical  sealing gaskets on the moving/meshing  parts of it. ( as a former Targa top owner, I remember how fussy all those gaskets were from a water tightness and squeaking standpoint )

Alum finish looks uncoordinated  since  current 911s have no std chrome exterior body/bumper molding - imagine how  weird it will  look with silver car !

Smiley

MKW:

German on-line configurator shows no option for matte black Targa hoop - disappointed . Don't wanna paint it aftermarket , esp if paint shop has to R/R some critical  sealing gaskets on the moving parts of it.

Std alum finish looks weak in this day and age where 911shave no std chrome exterior molding - imagine how  weird it will  look with silver car !

I think the brushed alu Targa hoop looks good on dark colors, but on light colors (especially both silver colors) it looks kinda odd indeed. I think some more options will become available later on, incl. a paint option for the hoop. (just assuming of course).

For example on the Macan, there also a lot of options not available yet. Maybe Porsche is pushing the limit in what they can handle at the moment with all these new models and versions of models. Too much in a too short period of time??Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

SuzyF:
    MKW:

German on-line configurator shows no option for matte black Targa hoop - disappointed . Don't wanna paint it aftermarket , esp if paint shop has to R/R some critical  sealing gaskets on the moving parts of it.

Std alum finish looks weak in this day and age where 911shave no std chrome exterior molding - imagine how  weird it will  look with silver car !

I think the brushed alu Targa hoop looks good on dark colors, but on light colors (especially both silver colors) it looks kinda od indeed. I think some more options will become available later on, incl. a paintoption for the hoop. (just assuming of course).

For example on the Macan, there also a lot of options not available yet. Maybe Porsche is pushing the limit in what they can handle at the moment with all these new models and versions of models. Too much in a too short period of time??Smiley

--

Suzy

Lets hope so- Porsche is never shy about extracting $$$$$ for $ " options "- see " Sport Chrono Pkg "

Exactly that is why I think it will become available broken heart

--

Suzy

Lars997:
    reginos:

The cabrio has always been the least good looking of the 911s 

WWWOOOOWWWSmileySmileySmiley Bold statement!

I love the Convertible. Especially the 991 looks just even closed quit good! If I would not need the rear space for the kid I would buy one again. I do agree that if you want the sports car look the Coupe and Targa is giving that better but the Convertible is just a beautiful and screems all over elegance - which you don't get with the others

Sorry, Lars Smiley. The 991 Cabrio is an improvement over previous versions but for Porsche open top I would either go for the Boxster (classic roadster) or the new Targa (unique and elegant).

--

"Form follows function"

The Targa is not a convertible, you will still have the glass behind you. So no real "open" feeling. I think the 991 Cabrio looks great open and actually pretty good closed. 

I agree that the Boxster is the better looking Cabrio.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

reginos:
    Lars997:
    reginos:

The cabrio has always been the least good looking of the 911s 

WWWOOOOWWWSmileySmileySmiley Bold statement!

I love the Convertible. Especially the 991 looks just even closed quit good! If I would not need the rear space for the kid I would buy one again. I do agree that if you want the sports car look the Coupe and Targa is giving that better but the Convertible is just a beautiful and screems all over elegance - which you don't get with the others

Sorry, Lars Smiley. The 991 Cabrio is an improvement over previous versions but for Porsche open top I would either go for the Boxster (classic roadster) or the new Targa (unique and elegant).

Appreciate that you are sticking to your opinion. Anyway - for me the Convertible is pure elegance and as you say that you prefer the Boxster I clearly see that you are looking for that what I would call "Sports-Look". And yes - that what you have with the other cars. Fair enough!

I like the 991 Cab as well, compared to the previous 997 and 996 Cabs, Porsche did a great job in creating a nice line flow and making the 991 Cab actually look perfect. The 991 Turbo Cab versions are a not as perfect (they have a small hump due to the turbo engine and AWS) but overall, I like the 991 Cabs a lot.

I also like the Boxster design but not really the back lights and especially that "integrated" rear wing lip which is continued by the turn signals. It looks way too stylish in my opinion, actually I would call it overstyled.

If money wouldn't matter and if I had to choose between the Boxster, the 991 Cab and the Targa, I would always take the 991 Cab. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Targa FTW!angel + GT3 = great Porsche garage. 

--

sportcars-history.com

I am also a convertible fan. For me every sports car that can be ordered as a cab, is the only choice. This is the ultimate way to enjoy the car with all the senses. A coupe would only make sense, if I would Visit the Track often, which 99.90% of the owners never do. 

As to the Targa, I would take this anytime over a Coupe, looks great, only problem for me, the 4WD, this is a deal breaker. But RWD against 4WD is a completely other discussion subject that we could argue about endlessly. So the final verdict, to each hes own, as long as Porsche satisfys all of us.  Smiley

I guess I’m the only dissenter here. I thought the Targa was conceived to get round regulations pertaining to crash protection. Whilst this is clearly prettier than the previous 997/996/993 iterations (which were not Targa’s in my view) I don’t see the point of it? For me, there is no “want” factor whatsoever. (I’m sure it’ll sell loads though just like the Emperor’s New Clothes)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

The Targa is a great car to be seen in. Most (not all) open top car buyers, prefer those basically more impractical cars for their conspicuity rather than the traditional " wind in your hair" thrill factor.

The fashionable person drives through town in his/her open Targa ( which is unlike any other open top) making bystanders to stare, stops outside the favourite spot , does the top closing sequence and leaves the car. This type of routine is worth a lot for many people.  Hence, the expected success of the Targa.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

I like the 991 Cab as well, compared to the previous 997 and 996 Cabs, Porsche did a great job in creating a nice line flow and making the 991 Cab actually look perfect. The 991 Turbo Cab versions are a not as perfect (they have a small hump due to the turbo engine and AWS) but overall, I like the 991 Cabs a lot.

Taste apparently comes in as many versions as the 911. With the tops down, I find the Carrera Cabriolet just too visually bland in the rear, while the 'hump', wider rear, and even the wing (I'm not usually a fan of visible wings) add just the right character to the back end of the Turbo Cabriolet to make it the best looking 991. (Tops up is a completely different story.)

I find that I cannot love the visuals of the 991 Targa, and it may be that it's just too retro looking for my taste, like a car that was driven in a 1960's/'70s SciFi movie, but never actually made. I expect to see a girl in silver go-go boots in the passenger seat.

reginos:

The Targa is a great car to be seen in. Most (not all) open top car buyers, prefer those basically more impractical cars for their conspicuity rather than the traditional " wind in your hair" thrill factor.

The fashionable person drives through town in his/her open Targa ( which is unlike any other open top) making bystanders to stare, stops outside the favourite spot , does the top closing sequence and leaves the car. This type of routine is worth a lot for many people.  Hence, the expected success of the Targa.

Do you realize 90% of people who owns Ford, Fiat, Opel, Renault among other middle brands, who see you in your shinny and beautiful 997.2 would comment about you, exacltly the same you state about Targa owners Smiley No need to stereotype everything in life Smiley

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    reginos:

Do you realize 90% of people who owns Ford, Fiat, Opel, Renault among other middle brands, who see you in your shinny and beautiful 997.2 would state exacltly the same you state about Targa owners Smiley No need to stereotype everything in life Smiley

Someone cannot be seen so easily or clearly in a Coupe  Smiley

Anyway, I didn't write the above in derogatory manner for open top fans. It is just a recognition of the lifestyle & image culture, which to me is an alternative but yet acceptable attitude both for men and women.

--

"Form follows function"

If Porsche produced only cars that met the approval of Porsche internet forum cognoscenti they would have gone out of business years ago. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Joost:
    RC:
    ... Has someone planned to order one? 

Iain (ISUK) mentioned he has one on order.

Yes, I'm down for my dealer's first car. I was going to consider paint to sample but it looks so good in Basalt black with the black/luxor interior that I'll likely go for this and use the PTS budget to try and get a set of Sport Classic wheels for it.

Fuchs wheels.JPG

that looks ace :)

IMO would be even better with espresso/cognac interior

ISUK:
    Joost:
    RC:
    ... Has someone planned to order one? 

Iain (ISUK) mentioned he has one on order.

Yes, I'm down for my dealer's first car. I was going to consider paint to sample but it looks so good in Basalt black with the black/luxor interior that I'll likely go for this and use the PTS budget to try and get a set of Sport Classic wheels for it.

Fuchs wheels.JPG

It looks fantastic already.

But, I agree with Espresso/Cognac it will be even more beautiful.

--

"Form follows function"

Congrats on the new purchase, very nice color combo,

J.Seven 

I may consider Espresso/Cognac. I saw that in a C4S a couple of weeks ago and it looked great Smiley

Basalt Cognac.JPG

Looks great! Congrats!

If was to order one now I would probably go for black also.... Although I think I would do the interior Black-Platinum or LTS Black-Red.

BTW, the car looks also very good in Mahogony, especially with the Espresso-Cognac interior. But one has to like brown colors of course haha. I do, but I think I'm in the minority yes

--

Suzy

I like brown colours but have got that covered with the Dino GTS I'm currently restoring. Basalt will be a much safer choice on the targa for resale kiss

ISUK:

I like brown colours but have got that covered with the Dino GTS I'm currently restoring. Basalt will be a much safer choice on the targa for resale kiss

100 % true,

--

Suzy

It looks great. For me it's a shame that they went with the cabrio as the base as the rear seats I suppose are the same and therefore more compromised than the coupe. So I suppose my next car will have to be the facelift 2wd coupe with the rattling sunroof and the better steering software which might be coming (more like the 4wd and GT3 cars :)  )

It's hard to tell from pictures, but to me it looks like the angle of the rear seats is not that much difference in coupe and Targa. I guess one has to see and compare them in person.

Targa

Coupe

--

Suzy

Wow. Thanks. I tried the cabrio with the booster and it really didn't work well On the coupe it was fine. Sooooo I guess it depends on whether they did something specific  or they adopted the cabrio set up.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    660894 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400827 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254546 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    228928 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59272 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853233 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761239 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM