Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

RC:

The latest X3 35d is not new?  Well, if one year is old for you...  It has connected drive and everything but I really don't like using it, it kind of feels weird and unnatural. I like the PCM approach, incl. the touch display, much better but I wish the PCM display would be larger, faster reacting and I also wish Porsche would finally go the internet way and offer  some more options too, like for example performance data in the PCM system, incl. recording of top speed, top acceleration, top G forces, top torque and power figures, etc.. It will come though.

I agree here too. They should really use a better processor. They've been terribly stingy on the actual one. To save - literally - a few bucks they have "damaged" the look and feel of an otherwise solid system.

As I said before the PCM is not top of the line. Yes, the screen should be bigger, some functions are missing, no heads up display (I had it in the BMW and my wife has it in her Prius!!), no internet connection (the Aha option is a waste of money, I have it, but it's totally meaningless, I used it once).

Audi does much better, Mercedes too. But it's still a very good system, it lacks the bells and whistles (which is a pity on such a car), but has everything you really need and in a nice package too.
    I did not try the 458, hence I cannot comment, I'm sure it's a great car (it's a Ferrari!!), and I'm guessing not a car in which you care too much for the navigation anyway Smiley

However the 911 is more of an everyday car, hence the electronics should really be top notch. It's the area that can probably be improved the most. But, again, it's still satisfying to me. There's no WOW factor, no fancy functions to show your friends, but - again - I don't feel I'm missing anything major.

I really like it white. I've been so tempted to go for white too.

Congrats!! Smiley

Congrats! wink Great looking car! kiss

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

just read a test in the latest print edition of EVO on the turbo (non S). outcome is : highly accomplished car, lots of speed and traction, addictive torque but  'it feels too dynamically standoffish to be really enjoyable'. 'it would be a good car to try to outrun the apocalypse but if it was likely to be my last tank of fuel i'd pick something else' (henry catchpole),  rating four stars out of five.

same edition has a test of the ferrari 458 S. outcome: it is the supercar to buy, full stop.

i like EVO.....:::))) because they don't only go for numbers

love the White Turbo....Mabrouk !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Has anyone seen a picture of the 991tt or tts with the 20" Sport Classic (Fuch like) wheels on it they could post?  I have only seen the spy photo of the 2016 so hoping someone has one - or has seen it at a local dealer.

Thank you for reading.

I ordered my Turbo with the 20" Sport Classic wheels.  I should be picking it up in the next couple days and will try to post some pics when I get it.

On another note, what is everyone's feeling on putting on a clear bra?  Should I get it?  My car will be GT Silver.

andyFE:

just read a test in the latest print edition of EVO on the turbo (non S). outcome is : highly accomplished car, lots of speed and traction, addictive torque but  'it feels too dynamically standoffish to be really enjoyable'. 'it would be a good car to try to outrun the apocalypse but if it was likely to be my last tank of fuel i'd pick something else' (henry catchpole),  rating four stars out of five.

same edition has a test of the ferrari 458 S. outcome: it is the supercar to buy, full stop.

Have you driven the Speciale? Smiley No, I haven't and I am sure it is going to be a great car but making comparisons which a car which isn't even in customer hands yet?! So typical... Smiley Also, check the price tag and I am also sure that you are going to see many many Speciale photos of this kind Smiley:

tttt.jpg

You are comparing apples to oranges, mister and you seem to enjoy yourself doing that. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    andyFE:

Have you driven the Speciale? Smiley No, I haven't and I am sure it is going to be a great car but making comparisons which a car which isn't even in customer hands yet?! So typical... Smiley Also, check the price tag and I am also sure that you are going to see many many Speciale photos of this kind Smiley:

tttt.jpg

You are comparing apples to oranges, mister and you seem to enjoy yourself doing that. Smiley

oh RC, this gets a bit boring. i have driven the speciale last week in monaco...and yes you are right, not on snow. 

but just in case you want to know i have taken my F458 up the col de turini, where the last 10 km had a totally icy road.  it did very well in the wet mode but of course you would have been faster in your turbo S.

hope this lets you sleep well this evening.

This isn't about faster or whatever. I just wonder why someone, who owns a 458, comes to a 911 Turbo forum and brags about Ferrari. How about me visiting the Ferrari forum more often and bragging about my 911 Turbo S?  Does it give you any personal satisfaction? Is it something you do for fun or just to provoke? I am curious. In some (internet) cultures, we would call that "trolling".

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

This isn't about faster or whatever. I just wonder why someone, who owns a 458, comes to a 911 Turbo forum and brags about Ferrari. How about me visiting the Ferrari forum more often and bragging about my 911 Turbo S?  Does it give you any personal satisfaction? Is it something you do for fun or just to provoke? I am curious. In some (internet) cultures, we would call that "trolling".

i tell you why i am here: i love porsches, was on the list for a GT3 - did not buy it for various reasons - put myself on the list for the GT3 RS as a replacement for the F458 and try to learn about the turbo S since i get a lot of pressure from my wife in that direction. 

also, i am sort of disappointed with the direction porsche took with the turbo S and i believe that everybody can learn by comparing with other cars.

is this trolling? 

Maybe you should re-read some of your posts. 

As to "pressure from the wife": Just withstand it, even if it is tough. I had pressure from the wife to get the Panamera Turbo S instead of a Cayenne Turbo S. This car was supposed to be the family car and at some point, I firmly believed that a Panamera Turbo S certainly would be a good family car, four comfortable seats and a slightly usable luggage room. Big mistake. It wasn't a good family car and it wasn't a family 911 as I had hoped. Amazing product from Porsche, if someone is into sporty sedans but not really my thing. Wife apparently wanted the Panamera because one of her friends was driving one, bragging all the time about it. In Germany, the Panamera seems to be some sort of status symbol I wasn't quite aware of, wearing "Porsche goggles" and all and not really caring about status symbols, at least not intentionally.  Going for the Cayenne Turbo S instead would have saved me tons of money and I would still drive it. Now I had to get rid of the Cayenne GTS because it didn't make sense to have two family SUV and the wife had this steadily increasing cabriolet craving I had to satisfy because sooner or later, we would have ended up with something I really don't want, like a BMW 3 series cab or something like that.  My move to get rid of the Cayenne GTS and get a Boxster S instead as a daily driver was kind of a pre-emptive strike. indecision

The GT3 RS is going to be an amazing product but don't expect it to be much much faster than the GT3. It is going to be faster and more "raw" from certain points of view but Porsche needs to keep a distance to the upcoming GT2 RS (or GT2...can't figure it out yet). It will be however very close to the 991 Turbo (performance-wise) and of course faster on the track. Not close to the 458 Speciale though I'm afraid (straight line). This is going to happen in a different price league (speaking of the GT2 RS/GT2 and all). Ferrari actually took a very blunt move with their new drifting driving mode in the Speciale. If it is as good as many say, this should be an amazing feature. I wonder why Porsche doesn't seem to offer various driving modes. Oh wait...wouldn't people accuse them of their cars not being "raw" anymore?  Ferrari apparently can pull this off, Formula One and all but Porsche not? Doesn't make sense to me.

As to your Turbo S disappointment: I am only disappointed with the price tag. I expected 600 hp for this kind of money. Otherwise, the Turbo S is perfect in my opinion. Maybe a few kg less weight but since I have development insights some of you may not have, I have to say it again: Development cost was a major factor for the increased price tag and it was very difficult for the developers to actually convince the upper management that AWS should be a standard option in both, the Turbo and Turbo S. Also, the wider rear (necessary because of the AWS and the turbo engine), even wider than in the C4, was not planned at first and increased development cost further. Without AWS, the wider rear and the new PTM components, the new Turbo S is actually 25 kg lighter than the old one. So as you can see, Porsche did a lot of development work but when money limits your possibilities, well... angry

What would I have made different if development cost didn't matter that much?

1. New engine generation (or at least 600 hp on paper) with 0-100 kph performance in 2.7 seconds, 0-200 kph in 9.6 seconds and 0-300 kph in 28 seconds. I know this isn't far away from the real life test values but still, this is what I expected. Facelift should "fix" it. 

2. 50 kg weight loss (incl. AWD, PTM and wider rear)

3. New interior (mainly the speedo cluster, time for digital instruments with changeable faces/themes)

4. More comfortable rear seats (slightly inclined position, more comfortable for the back and slightly lower for more head room)

5. In conjunction with new engine generation: Better exhaust sound, usage of non-VTG chargers for that purpose (apparently the VTG chargers are one of the issues to blame for the inadequate exhaust sound) but to be honest, the exhaust sound is one of the least things bothering me but for a former Ferraristi, the exhaust sound may not be satisfactory. 

6. Slightly different LED light and especially daylight running lights design (Turbo/Turbo S LED lights should not look the same as on the Panamera and regular 911 models).

7. More adequate rim design, not a fan of the current Turbo S rims, not a fan of the Turbo rims and not a fan of the Classic rims. I love the GT3 rims though, so something similar would have been nice.

8. "Integrated" rear wing (similar to Panamera), not a fan of that huge rear wing thingie on the back.

I bet I could find a couple of (minor) things more but when development cost puts a lid to a project and if, of course, they are planning the facelift too at the same time, they cannot give customers everything they have (or can) from the start. I know this is no consolation for many but I wish Porsche would have gone a small step ahead after the price increase, so people actually have a good feeling paying that much money for the Turbo S. I love the car and I think it is the perfect car for me but of course it isn't perfect. Still would not want to drive anything else, not even the F12, believe it or not. The only car which could make me switch, if I had the money and social opportunity, is the Aventador. I can't help it, I just love this car. 

--

RC:

Maybe you should re-read some of your posts. 

As to "pressure from the wife": Just withstand it, even if it is tough. I had pressure from the wife to get the Panamera Turbo S instead of a Cayenne Turbo S. This car was supposed to be the family car and at some point, I firmly believed that a Panamera Turbo S certainly would be a good family car, four comfortable seats and a slightly usable luggage room. Big mistake. It wasn't a good family car and it wasn't a family 911 as I had hoped. Amazing product from Porsche, if someone is into sporty sedans but not really my thing. Wife apparently wanted the Panamera because one of her friends was driving one, bragging all the time about it. In Germany, the Panamera seems to be some sort of status symbol I wasn't quite aware of, wearing "Porsche goggles" and all and not really caring about status symbols, at least not intentionally.  Going for the Cayenne Turbo S instead would have saved me tons of money and I would still drive it. Now I had to get rid of the Cayenne GTS because it didn't make sense to have two family SUV and the wife had this steadily increasing cabriolet craving I had to satisfy because sooner or later, we would have ended up with something I really don't want, like a BMW 3 series cab or something like that.  My move to get rid of the Cayenne GTS and get a Boxster S instead as a daily driver was kind of a pre-emptive strike. indecision

The GT3 RS is going to be an amazing product but don't expect it to be much much faster than the GT3. It is going to be faster and more "raw" from certain points of view but Porsche needs to keep a distance to the upcoming GT2 RS (or GT2...can't figure it out yet). It will be however very close to the 991 Turbo (performance-wise) and of course faster on the track. Not close to the 458 Speciale though I'm afraid (straight line). This is going to happen in a different price league (speaking of the GT2 RS/GT2 and all). Ferrari actually took a very blunt move with their new drifting driving mode in the Speciale. If it is as good as many say, this should be an amazing feature. I wonder why Porsche doesn't seem to offer various driving modes. Oh wait...wouldn't people accuse them of their cars not being "raw" anymore?  Ferrari apparently can pull this off, Formula One and all but Porsche not? Doesn't make sense to me.

As to your Turbo S disappointment: I am only disappointed with the price tag. I expected 600 hp for this kind of money. Otherwise, the Turbo S is perfect in my opinion. Maybe a few kg less weight but since I have development insights some of you may not have, I have to say it again: Development cost was a major factor for the increased price tag and it was very difficult for the developers to actually convince the upper management that AWS should be a standard option in both, the Turbo and Turbo S. Also, the wider rear (necessary because of the AWS and the turbo engine), even wider than in the C4, was not planned at first and increased development cost further. Without AWS, the wider rear and the new PTM components, the new Turbo S is actually 25 kg lighter than the old one. So as you can see, Porsche did a lot of development work but when money limits your possibilities, well... angry

What would I have made different if development cost didn't matter that much?

1. New engine generation (or at least 600 hp on paper) with 0-100 kph performance in 2.7 seconds, 0-200 kph in 9.6 seconds and 0-300 kph in 28 seconds. I know this isn't far away from the real life test values but still, this is what I expected. Facelift should "fix" it. 

2. 50 kg weight loss (incl. AWD, PTM and wider rear)

3. New interior (mainly the speedo cluster, time for digital instruments with changeable faces/themes)

4. More comfortable rear seats (slightly inclined position, more comfortable for the back and slightly lower for more head room)

5. In conjunction with new engine generation: Better exhaust sound, usage of non-VTG chargers for that purpose (apparently the VTG chargers are one of the issues to blame for the inadequate exhaust sound) but to be honest, the exhaust sound is one of the least things bothering me but for a former Ferraristi, the exhaust sound may not be satisfactory. 

6. Slightly different LED light and especially daylight running lights design (Turbo/Turbo S LED lights should not look the same as on the Panamera and regular 911 models).

7. More adequate rim design, not a fan of the current Turbo S rims, not a fan of the Turbo rims and not a fan of the Classic rims. I love the GT3 rims though, so something similar would have been nice.

8. "Integrated" rear wing (similar to Panamera), not a fan of that huge rear wing thingie on the back.

I bet I could find a couple of (minor) things more but when development cost puts a lid to a project and if, of course, they are planning the facelift too at the same time, they cannot give customers everything they have (or can) from the start. I know this is no consolation for many but I wish Porsche would have gone a small step ahead after the price increase, so people actually have a good feeling paying that much money for the Turbo S. I love the car and I think it is the perfect car for me but of course it isn't perfect. Still would not want to drive anything else, not even the F12, believe it or not. The only car which could make me switch, if I had the money and social opportunity, is the Aventador. I can't help it, I just love this car. 

--

you are right, on one hand porsche seems worried of being accused for softening up their hardline cars (e.g. no parking sensors, no rear view on GT3 and surely not on the GT3 RS, seems they were put in the corner with PDK on the GT3 (RS) already) on the other hand they have built a rather softcore turbo S (weight, noise....i do believe what you say on development costs but the facts remain). it is easier for ferrari to get away with softer cars - or let me say with more 'dual' cars like the F458 - since ferrari drivers are a very different bunch of people - without getting into generalizations and without critizising...but on the ferrari forum you find many more threads on leather selection and stitching options....

this place is much more fun...Smiley 4    Smiley 2

im in love there is no doubt about it 

IMG_0353.pngIMG_0333.JPGIMG_0305.png

there is nothing made by human can be more beautiful      FULL STOP ,,,,,, ALL TROLLING STOP HERE  :P 

For me, the 991 Turbo S represents the first 959 successor, as weird as it may sound. I don't know, I always dreamt of a 959 but never considered the 911 Turbo to be a worthy successor. Until the 991 Turbo S showed up.

As you can see, I never compare the 991 Turbo S, despite a similar performance, to the Carrera GT for example. For me, the 991 Turbo S is some sort of do-it-all-daily-driver-supersportscar. Of course I wouldn't mind a 911 Turbo RS at 100 kg less weight (but still with all the comfort goodies) and with a 600 hp engine but I guess people like us will never be 100% satisfied with a car, even if it would weight only 1200 kg and had 1000 hp. 

Glad to hear that you are happy with your car, it is only going to get better after aprox. 4000-5000 km. Mine has over 6000 km now and I just love it. Don't forget that we have winter time here and I never really loved cars in winter time, with the exception of SUVs maybe. This one is a first.

--

this might be interesting for comparism purposes: huracan list price in germany is 201.500.- euros base

Great on the snap Dave thanks! and clear bra for sure.  I remember gently driving my car into the horizontal member of a fence at a hotel one evening - and scraping the bra (rather than the hood). Made me happy that my car was unscathed....and if you do even 1 DE a year, well worth it with the debris coming off the other cars..... 

andyFE:

this might be interesting for comparism purposes: huracan list price in germany is 201.500.- euros base

Incl. VAT? Now this is interesting because there were rumors that the Huracan will be in the 180k EUR range. Rumors I never really believed because they didn't make sense. 201k EUR is quite a lot for the next Lamborghini entry level model, unless Lamborghini plans a model with less power too.

--

RC:
    andyFE:

Incl. VAT? Now this is interesting because there were rumors that the Huracan will be in the 180k EUR range. Rumors I never really believed because they didn't make sense. 201k EUR is quite a lot for the next Lamborghini entry level model, unless Lamborghini plans a model with less power too.

Isn't this the R8?

--

"Form follows function"

201500 EUR for the Huracan sounds a bit too much for me, unless they would offer a cheaper entry level model along the way.

Since when is the R8 a Lamborghini? 

The R8 will be cheaper but considering the same power and features, I think the difference won't be bigger than 20k EUR. 

I tried to find the Huracan price tag mentioned somewhere but I couldn't find any source.

--

reginos:
    RC:
    andyFE:

Isn't this the R8?

yes, including VAT. confirmed.

forgot t say, the price includes PDK and ceramic brakes

RC:

201500 EUR for the Huracan sounds a bit too much for me, unless they would offer a cheaper entry level model along the way.

How much does it cost the 991TTS in Germany?

J.Seven

the turbo S is 195K euro. VW-Audi charges 6K euro less than for the huracan, taking into account the ....hmmmm ......form factor:::))) but maybe they should charge more as a stealth bonusSmiley 27

sulaiman:

im in love there is no doubt about it 

IMG_0353.pngIMG_0333.JPGIMG_0305.png

there is nothing made by human can be more beautiful      FULL STOP ,,,,,, ALL TROLLING STOP HERE  :P 

The finish on the car is awesome.  Congrats and enjoy!

thanks a lot buddy 

Smiley

andyFE:

the turbo S is 195K euro. VW-Audi charges 6K euro less than for the huracan, taking into account the ....hmmmm ......form factor:::))) but maybe they should charge more as a stealth bonusSmiley 27

You still don't seem to understand who buys a 991 Turbo S. You will never ever see a German business owner drive to his business in a Huracan but you will see many business owners drive a 991 Turbo S to work. I am talking large(r) industry/etc. of course, not small businesses like mine. A Lamborghini would be very inappropriate, this is the "social culture" here, you need to understand this. Porsche knows this and this isn't valid only for Germany.

Just imagine a French factory owner driving to work in a Huracan. Just look at the Goodyear "situation" yesterday and you get a picture about the feelings of many employees working in Europe.

As to the price tag, I'm still not convinced that it is correct. Unless of course Lamborghini plans to offer an entry level version along the way. Over 200k EUR for the entry level Lamborghini? They are courageous. Also keep in mind that the 991 Turbo S actually always costs around 205-210k EUR because every customer adds some options. So it would actually not make a big difference, price-wise. Which of course could be a problem for Porsche, especially looking at the 50 hp power gap and the lighter weight of the Huracan. Still...as far as I heard, the Huracan will not really outrun the Turbo S in real life driving situations. There was a big meeting within the VW Group a couple of months ago where the leadership of VW Group and their companies test-drove all cars in comparison. The Turbo S got the most scores, with one exception: The interior look and feel. Not luxurious/high end enough. This will change with the next generation. Smiley

--

RC:
    andyFE:

You still don't seem to understand who buys a 991 Turbo S. You will never ever see a German business owner drive to his business in a Huracan but you will see many business owners drive a 991 Turbo S to work. I am talking large(r) industry/etc. of course, not small businesses like mine. A Lamborghini would be very inappropriate, this is the "social culture" here, you need to understand this. Porsche knows this and this isn't valid only for Germany.

Just imagine a French factory owner driving to work in a Huracan. Just look at the Goodyear "situation" yesterday and you get a picture about the feelings of many employees working in Europe.

As to the price tag, I'm still not convinced that it is correct. Unless of course Lamborghini plans to offer an entry level version along the way. Over 200k EUR for the entry level Lamborghini? They are courageous. Also keep in mind that the 991 Turbo S actually always costs around 205-210k EUR because every customer adds some options. So it would actually not make a big difference, price-wise. Which of course could be a problem for Porsche, especially looking at the 50 hp power gap and the lighter weight of the Huracan. Still...as far as I heard, the Huracan will not really outrun the Turbo S in real life driving situations. There was a big meeting within the VW Group a couple of months ago where the leadership of VW Group and their companies test-drove all cars in comparison. The Turbo S got the most scores, with one exception: The interior look and feel. Not luxurious/high end enough. This will change with the next generation. Smiley

--

the presentation of the huracan at lambo munich is next week wednesday at the starnberger see. you can doublecheck the price with them. i repeat it includes PDK (or whatever lambo calls it), carbon ceramic brakes and maybe (unconfirmed) front lift. 

outrageous price? yes probably. on the other hand it is more or less what the F458 costs and you get a very special car for it. i find the price of the turbo S much more outrageous. 

At 200K EUR it actually looks like a better deal then the Turbo S. Let's not forget that it's a Lamborghini - still an exotic brand, not a 200 000 cars per year producer (incl. Macan), mostly diesels. The Huracan will surely be faster then the Turbo S after 200 km/h. I remember reading that the M6 competition package is also faster then it!

As much as I love Porsche, I don't like the idea of paying 200K+ EUR for a car from the same brand that makes the 4 cylinder diesel Macan, soon to be driven by every housewife in the neighbourhood. At the same time the 991 Turbo S is not the undisputed leader in performance as the 997 used to be...

@herbaliser 

if what u r saying is valid then why should any 1 buy an exotic car from the same company that made tractors ??? 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689766 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409342 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255802 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65553 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858112 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774186 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM