Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Michael Schumacher in Coma

Michael Schumacher badly injured his head skiing in France, requiring emergency brain surgery and is now in a coma. Let's hope he recovers.

Re: Micheal Schumaker in Coma

ohhhh what a thing... hope he will recover... 

Sad news - hoping that he makes a speedy and full recovery.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Induced coma. Following Gary Hartstein (@former_f1doc) for the latest updates.

Re: Michael Schumaker in Coma

Very sad. My hopes and thoughts are with him and his family for a full recovery.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: Michael Schumaker in Coma

So sad... I hope he gets well...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Re: Michael Schumacher in Coma

Wow, just heard the news. Hope he recovers fully.

Read about this elsewhere and came here for more details. Induced coma is a standard procedure for this type of surgery.  Stating he is "critical" is also standard and nothing should be read into that either.  Hopefully he will recover fully. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

I have a different information: He was awake and OK when the medical assistance arrived at the accident spot but later on, his condition worsened and he fell in a coma when he arrived at the speciality medical center in Grenoble. This is why they executed an emergency operation (neuro surgery) on him, the coma was not induced.

Let's hope he will be OK. It seems that the helmet didn't help completely but without it, he would be dead by now. Does someone remember the tragic outcome of the ski accident of Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson? She didn't wear a helmet.

Skiing without a helmet is just plain dumb. Why wouldn't someone want to protect the most valuable part of the body, the brain? Unless of course there is none. angry

I wish Michael Schumacher well and a fast recovery. He survived the F1, he survived a nasty motorcycle accident back in 2009, it would be tragic if he would die now from a stupid ski accident.

If the doctors removed the pressure from his brain in time, he may survive but of course it depends how much damage has already been done by the pressure.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Statement from Grenoble Hospital issued yesterday evening :-

"Mr Schumacher was admitted to the University Hospital of Grenoble at 12:40 (11:40 GMT) following a skiing accident which occurred in Meribel in the late morning. He suffered a severe head injury with coma on arrival, which required immediate neurosurgical intervention. He remains in a critical situation".

There are unsubstantiated reports in the French media that he had a second emergency operation during the night.

--

I didn't know about the second operation, this sounds bad. Let's just hope he is going to be alright. He has two kids...surprise

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Skiing without a helmet is just plain dumb. Why wouldn't someone want to protect the most valuable part of the body, the brain? Unless of course there is none. angry

Schumacher had been wearing a helmet, according to Deutsche Welle. But like in motorcycling a helmet is not an absolute protection.

A permanently incapacitated Michael? I don't want to see that ever SmileySmiley

--

"Form follows function"

I don;t know the details so far - but skiing "off-piste" is always a risk and being a passionate skier myself - I sometimes cannot understand the risk people are taking choosing some "crazy" lines. 

it dDoesn't look very much off-piste for me ? very sad !

RC:

I didn't know about the second operation, this sounds bad. Let's just hope he is going to be alright. He has two kids...surprise

Just listened to an interview with the neurological team with the Grenoble hospital.

Reports of a second operation were incorrect. At the moment they don't see the need for a second operation. He arrived in hospital in a very agitated condition and deteriorated rapidly. He remains in a very serious condition having suffered severe brain trauma with brain lesions. He is being kept in an artificial coma. He is fighting for his life but it is too early to state the outcome and what the prognosis is. Without a helmet he definitely would not have survived. His family are with him in the hospital.

--

Apparently he got an intracranial hemorrhage from the impact. If that is the case, The person may initially be fine and conscious, but as blood starts to accumulate inside the cranium it has no were to go doit starts to build up the pressure inside, this may take hours to days to develop.

This causes the brain to be pushed down into the foramen magnums, and the bottom structures of the brain deal with vital functions so the person will eventually fall into a coma and ultimately death if not stopped. The doctors have to let the blood out to relieve the pressure and until the patient wakes up they won't know if there was any permanent neurological damage or not. Let's hope for the best.

--

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25547624#TWEET998501

It doesn't sound very well. Looks like a similar situation than happened with Dutch prince Friso last year. Let's hope Schumacher will win this battle, like he did win so many battles in a racing car. 

Thoughts are with him and his family

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

Friso didn't wear a helmet, Schumacher did. Let's hope that this made a difference. Also, as far as I remember, the damage to Friso's brain was caused by the lack of oxygen during the time he has spent under that snow (avalanche), not from increased pressure caused by a cranial trauma. Unfortunately cranial trauma is the most likely bodily injury to die from, so let's hope that the doctors at the Grenoble clinic are good at their job.

--

If it's swelling from brain tissue trauma instead of pressure from intracranial hemorrhage then that may be even more bleak of an outcome surprise

--

Come on Schumi win this one...This is so worrying yes

--

996C4, Artic silver (gone) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

Carlos from Spain:

If it's swelling from brain tissue trauma instead of pressure from intracranial hemorrhage then that may be even more bleak of an outcome surprise

Let's just hope he survives this without any major damage. Smiley

A friend of mine was an crazy ass motorcycle rider. He once rode as a passenger in a car together with some friends to a discotheque and died in a car accident on the way back home. For years, he did so much crazy stuff with the motorcycle and nothing happened to him and then, one time, he drives with some friends to a disco and... Smiley My wife calls this Karma and the more I hear similar stories, the more I believe in Karma. Since Karma seems to be based on Dharma, I don't know if I really believe it. So many good people died and so many bad people are still alive... Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

Apparently he got an intracranial hemorrhage from the impact. If that is the case, The person may initially be fine and conscious, but as blood starts to accumulate inside the cranium it has no were to go doit starts to build up the pressure inside, this may take hours to days to develop.

This causes the brain to be pushed down into the foramen magnums, and the bottom structures of the brain deal with vital functions so the person will eventually fall into a coma and ultimately death if not stopped. The doctors have to let the blood out to relieve the pressure and until the patient wakes up they won't know if there was any permanent neurological damage or not. Let's hope for the best.

This is what happened to Liam Neeson's wife in 2009. Similar accident, no helmet, but also no rock. She felt fine, turned down medical help and was dead a few hours later. Sad story.

Wish Michael a speedy recovery! 

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

Michael has lots of experience with injuries and I guess he knew that even harmless looking/feeling injuries can be serious, so he accepted medical attention. What happened to Natasha Richardson is more than tragic but her not wearing a helmet has nothing to do with tragedy but with, sorry to say that, common sense. My wife hates to wear something on her head (hair gets messy, nobody can see her face,  etc.) but she wears a helmet because she knows about the possible consequences if she doesn't.

I stopped skiing after a cruciate ligament rupture. Then, I started snowboarding and did pretty well until I fell so bad that I bruised my rips badly, so I stopped winter sport at all. Apparently somebody "up there" doesn't want me to do it.  Wanted to get a ski bike and have some "different" fun in the snow but many ski lifts and/or regions don't allow ski bikes and I also remember that a friend was once making a lot of fun of a guy on a ski bike, even if this guy later on pulverized him on a black slope and he was quite surprised. 

--

Injuries are part of sport. You do it long enough and you will injure yourself, sometimes mildly, sometimes fatally. I"m sorry to hear about Schumacher but he did the right thing, took as many risks off the table as he could (wearing a helmet and seeking medical help) and rolled the dice to do something he enjoyed.  I hope he recovers, and my thought go out to his family.

One of my best friends died in an avalanche (thankfully by blunt force head trauma as opposed to suffocation) and he up until that point had done everything right as well. And yet it didn't matter at all. It's a dangerous sport. Most good ones are. The only one I've stepped away from because of injury was downhill mountain bike racing (2x breaks in each of tib & fib, ruptured achilles, tib anterior tendon pulled off bone, necrotizing fasciitis, bone marrow transplant, skin grafts and daily pain almost 20 years later took away my appetite for going really fast down rocks on a bike...). The others despite broken bones, dislocated shoulders, bruises, tendon and nerve damage and more stiches than I could count still provide more fun than pain.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Injuries are part of sport. You do it long enough and you will injure yourself, sometimes mildly, sometimes fatally. I"m sorry to hear about Schumacher but he did the right thing, took as many risks off the table as he could (wearing a helmet and seeking medical help) and rolled the dice to do something he enjoyed.  I hope he recovers, and my thought go out to his family.

One of my best friends died in an avalanche (thankfully by blunt force head trauma as opposed to suffocation) and he up until that point had done everything right as well. And yet it didn't matter at all. It's a dangerous sport. Most good ones are. The only one I've stepped away from because of injury was downhill mountain bike racing (2x breaks in each of tib & fib, ruptured achilles, tib anterior tendon pulled off bone, necrotizing fasciitis, bone marrow transplant, skin grafts and daily pain almost 20 years later took away my appetite for going really fast down rocks on a bike...). The others despite broken bones, dislocated shoulders, bruises, tendon and nerve damage and more stiches than I could count still provide more fun than pain.

I agree. It is funny however that my wife asks me to stop doing Krav Maga but at the same time, she wants me to ski or snowboard again, despite the injuries I had. I don't care much about pain but I had a serious heel injury and the doctor said after the MRI that I will be in a wheel chair in two to three years but this was over 10 years ago and I'm still doing my stuff. Smiley Bottom line is: I have a good feeling about Krav Maga but not about skiing anymore. I don't know but after that ligament rupture, it got me thinking and the snowboarding accident actually put a lid to it. I am close to 50, I have two kids and a family to take care of. Not worth it risking too much. I try to keep the risks at bay, my driving is also different from what it was 10 or 20 years ago, no doubt about it but I guess Michael Schumacher just wanted to have a nice and fun day with his son and would have never expected such an accident. Tragic. Smiley

--

I simply keep my fingers cross...German media quoted that this very hospital is the best place to be right now.

Wishing Schumi loads of good luck to overcome the bad luck he has suffered...surprise

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Very sad news indeed.

Lets hope that his trained and fit body helps him to come over this. Keep fingers crossed!

Hopefully he can recover soon and get out of the critical state. Just to put in perspective how important MS has been to the motorsport industry, the team I work with are all women except for myself, and when I mentioned the incident they all knew who he was even if none of them are F1 fans, only one of them didn't know and as soon as we told her everyone expressed how concerned they were and that they wish he gets better. He has become the face of F1 for a lot of people out there who don't know much about the sport.

According to the last press conference by the doctors treating him (it was over just a couple of minutes ago), there was indeed a second surjery performed yesterday to decrease intracraneal pressure, but the good news is that while still critical, today there seems to be some imporvement compared to yesterday. There is still ceberbral hemorrhaging and  they will still keep him under an induced coma.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690245 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409584 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235137 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65622 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858304 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774523 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM